What exactly is it about being a Millennial that makes life so much harder than other generations...

What exactly is it about being a Millennial that makes life so much harder than other generations? I'm not convinced we have it any worse than other people did at our age.

Give specific examples from your life.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pA8DdkM2Wqo
time.com/3618322/census-millennials-poverty-unemployment/
discord.gg/ngj4x7R
washingtonpost.com/business/technology/us-to-relinquish-remaining-control-over-the-internet/2014/03/14/0c7472d0-abb5-11e3-adbc-888c8010c799_story.html?utm_term=.baa1414afde4
wsj.com/articles/an-internet-giveaway-to-the-u-n-1472421165
usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2016/09/29/icann-iana-internet-address-book-autonomous-department-of-commerce-ip-address-transition-internet-corporation-for-assigned-names-and-numbers/91281960/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=pA8DdkM2Wqo

Who said we have it worse? Fuck off loser with your failed attempt at a decent thread

Nothing except thinking that the luxuries we afford ourselves everyday are actual necessities.

Pussies. At least I have a drinking problem.

not sure anyone says they have it worse

but teenagers have ALWAYS said this

>Who said we have it worse?

Millennials

Millennials objectively have it better in almost every measurable metric than any other generation at any point in the entire history of the world.

The fact that millennials are all depressed sacks of shit is a combination of how the human mind operates (i would argue that it needs a certain combination of strife/comfort and challenge/reward that isn't being met correctly anymore causing people to create their own problems), as well as systematic brainwashing from consumption culture and social media culture.

The average millennials hand grip is 30% weaker than the generation that raised them. I think this statistic is simple but expressive.

There are numerous reports and surveys that show Millennials work harder, longer hours and even more jobs than previous generations, yet it is now far more difficult to afford a house. It's also been proven that although serious mental illnesses are not becoming more common, more people are diagnosed with depression and suicide rates have rocketed 60% in the past four decades.

Right all millennials congregated to all agree that we have it harder than any generation before us.

Cost of housing rose and cost of education skyrocketed. Debt stops you from making big purchases and is a huge hindrance. Cost of living in general has gone up.

It's not fucking rocket science, life for millenials is harder than previous generations.

Please educate yourselves. There is indisputable evidence to the contrary. Just because you haven't read the data and don't believe it yourself because you feel like Millennials are limp-wristed faggots doesn't mean you're correct.
Here is but one statistical encapsulation of the cons of being a Millennial.

time.com/3618322/census-millennials-poverty-unemployment/

I ain't millennial, but you guys got it tough in my opinion

Depends entirely on context. We have better tech and better connectivity but get worse return on labor our incomes are shit too and its only gonna get worse..

It's a pretty weird time to be alive.

A massive number of them. If you deny that, you have your head in the sand.

The fact that people think this is debatable and not verifiable fact is just further proof to me that people are dumb as fuck and easily manipulated. There are literally people in this thread who don't believe that millenials have to pay more for housing, have more debt forced upon them and that wages have stagnated while cost of living has rose.

I agree.

THIS IS GOLD

non-millenials won't actually rebut this, they'll just yell 'triggered' and 'weak faggot' while sticking their fingers in their ears. Don't bother. Older generations are fucking worthless.

>manual labor has been largely outsourced while tech and computer related jobs have taken over
>he thinks grip strength is some telling metaphor of a generation's competence without considering that very obvious factor

Second from the left on the second row conflicts with the one to its right.

Other than the safe space crap and the too much liberal I'm offended bullshit, we do have it worse than our parents.

Check what minimum wage used to be against what rent used to cost, against what university costs, against the cost of food, which is enough, but sure if you want, luxuries too. That includes your phone and internet which are luxuries, but you can't operate quite the same without it since a lot more job applications are online, and some jobs require cell phones these days. (Mine does).

You'll find our expense of living is hugely higher compared to what our wages are vs. what it was like in the 70s.

For example, my father and I had a discussion about it a few months back and he asked my rent vs wage (I make over double minimum in Canada).

Some of a weeks pay paid his rent at minimum wage. Takes me 2 weeks for me to save it after all my other costs and that's if I spend nothing on myself.

On the one hand, it's liveable, of course. I'm starving. But consider that. I don't live lavishly and I really need to control my finances carefully and save all month to pay all my expenses and I make twice minimum wage.

In the 70s, a weeks pay took care of everything. See the problem?

Also housing prices are way out of control. I can go for hours about this.

So shut up and go buy a 3500sq ft home for $22,000 then

Well I'm 33, but when my father got out of the air force in the early 1980's, he bought a 2 story house at the age of 22 with a job as a postal carrier and paid it off in 4 years. He retired at the age of 48 with benefits and still lives lower middle-class and when he's 65 he'll get his military pension as well.

I work 60 hours a week at the best job I could get, making wood pallets, I make 8.15 an hour for up to 40 hours a week and then no OT. I will never own a home and can not afford to live independently, having to put up with a bitch of a woman just to be able to afford an apartment and a shitty old pontiac grand am.

Not him but it's more of a comparison between the previous generation's willingness to take on labour intensive work and this generation's eschewing of working with their hands. No doubt that much of that type of work has left but what remains is not even on the radar of most hipster millennials. It isn't even considered as its seen as beneath them. Older generations used to take what work they could, today's stalwartly refuses to do anything that could be uncomfortable.

/thread

>Perfect. Exactly as planned.

Shittiest thing about being a millennial

>be me 13
>sonic the hedgehog makes my penis hard
>make a YouTube about it
>grow up, try to delete
>nope, it's on archive.org
>oh god
>the Internet is forever
>you are now 28 and known as Brian "Sonic-Penis" Tanner

>I'm starving

Sorry, I'm *not* starving. Very different point and mood.

>Tanner
Dumb Jew.

What did you study, if anything?

having to live off the little money my parents give me while I stay at their place looking for employment after graduation. It's been a year now , life is rough.

Where do you live, Canadabro?

I have no idea what minimum wage has become.

my iPhone won't fit in my skinny jeans

Hamilton, On. now. But ive lived too many places. Grew up in Brampton, lived in Alberta two years.

What about you?

If you were willing to commute to work, rural houses back then were cheap as fuck. My mom still lives in a beautiful 2,500 or so SQ house on 12 acres of land that my dad bought in 1984 for $38,000.

Consider a lot of people with decent jobs make between 20.000 and 35,000 in just a single year.

Whoreticulture.

>make 50k
>have simple car, paid off
>do not live lavishly
>rent, food, and other basic needs are so expensive that I have to live like a shut in to afford to put away 10% per cheque

Also it's like 11.50 or something..

The Hammer? The armpit of the golden horseshoe

Toronto here. Spent plenty of time in Hamilton during school. How much is double minimum wage? I heard it's cheaper to live in Hamilton than TO

What did he study? He said his father was a POSTAL CARRIER. A fucking mailman. Speaking of higher education, what did any of the factory workers or industrial workers that made up the American middle class have?

Nothing. They walked in. Could stand up straight and follow simple instructions. Ten years later they have a two story home with a pool in the backyard and two cars in the garage.

It's cheaper to live in Paris than TO

Yep. My gf and I joined the exodus from toronto. We got a whole house for the same rent as a 1 bedroom apt. In Toronto. With our two dogs we thought it was better.

We learned poor white people really do have a serious boner for fireworks. I thought that shit was just in TV.

Yes the world fucked kids up mentally ...but making a yt vid about it? Hope you're a troll..

And then 20-30 years later they voted for Trump.

/end

TWITCH STREAM TAKEOVER in 1 hour
discord.gg/ngj4x7R

Join for more info

Then we're in the same boat. We should split a place and spend the evenings starting at the crazy homeless people roaming the streets.

I make 23.50 as a second year carpenter's apprentice. Full wage is 38 something. I'm two years away from that.

I work in Toronto. Ive been at st. Michael's hospital a few weeks now. Hopefully I'm done soon im sick of the crackheads.

When you really think of it, greedy Jews have really fucked the entire world over in the course of one generation.

I'm completely agreed with you, my friend. Just curious as to whether or not he wasted a giant amount of money studying something useless. A lot of us make very poor decisions which doesn't help at all considering this shitty situation.

I wouldn't say we have it harder than depression era folks or WW2 folks by a long shot, but we have it much MUCH worse than baby boomers or genxers by quite a lot.

There is no future or opportunity left in this country.

Student debt cripples you for life.

Jobs still pay what they did in early 2000s, yet expenses have doubles

Record numbers of adults living with their parents and not getting married because they can't afford it.

That picture should be updated to end with "And then voted for Donald Trump. The end."

Yeah man but we have the gay parade

I work in hamilton, if your in the right racket theres money to be made

To be honest, I would say the "jews" did it, but you'd have to exclude 99.99% of jewish people and only count the jews at the very top.

>having to put up with a bitch of a woman

maybe you should be gay, that way you can fuck your buddy instead

>exodus from toronto

If I had half a fucking brain I would do the same. Move to Montreal, relearn French, and live like a fucking king.

You're onto something but I can't say i agree with all of it.

Depression people were seriously hopeless, minimum wage for waiters got lowered below minimum wage in that era because restaurants were all actually too poor to pay, so they relied on tips. A tradition that was only necessary then and not even now.

I also can't say the WWII area was all that amazing either. What with the mass death of men and the huge push for shitty factory jobs for the war effort.

Also both times were pre vaccine. You had to have like 9 kids because most of them would die.

But yeah it sucks now compared to our parents

That 1% couldn't do it without their faithful Jew gatekeepers just underneath them.

How did they mastermind this one?

Ask your grandpa how his SAT scores were. Oh wait that's right he probably didn't fucking take them.

>wouldn't say we have it harder than depression era folks or WW2 folks by a long shot

Glad to hear this. I know we have it tough but Jesus do my contemporaries like to cry as though this is the hardest time in history to live.

i'm 27 idk if i count as being a millenial but....
being alive in this day and age is legit af

>there are people fighting to get my white cis male scum privelage taken away, but they can't
>was literally a drug addict fuck up my whole life
>rather than become a literal hobo, tax money helped me get clean and fix my life
>currently getting paid to go to school as an oldfag fuckup

life is fucking dank

Where about?

I'm a union carpenter, my wage is fine. I also just started my own pest control business. I threw up a Kijiji add to see what customer prospects are like.

I had to take it down because I got flooded and I'm still waiting on the right licensing for my equipment, so I couldn't help anyone though I'm insured and licensed to operate already. And yes I'm already trained and experienced in it.

I'm not so worried about money right now.

did you really expect anything different? of course they'd think that if they haven't been in the shoes of someone who lived during WW2 or depression

>but Jesus do my contemporaries like to cry as though this is the hardest time in history to live.
It's only getting worse and their is strong indication now that it is only going to get much worse.

Yeah, it really sucks compared to any time 50s and onward. Everything kind of went downhill since 9/11.

This is one of the worst times in american history by far. The future doesn't look too good considering the internet was just sold basically.

These are the last days of free internet, so remember it when you're 50 or so.

Aside from the internet and mountains of cheap cancer-inducing food, what do we really have above most other generations? Think about it.

You are in debt for life for going to the doctor.
In debt for life for going to school.
You can't really start a business without luck or lots of money.
Social mobility is just as hard now as it was a hundred years ago.
Governmen and police are turning into a dictatorship, the very representation of what the red scare in the 50s was all about. We are sliding towards communism and worldwide poverty for all but the very few.

We've gone backwards not forwards.

>WW2
>depression
>can still buy a house for 20grand that'll appreciate 500%
Yeah, fuck off.

Are you in the ubc? Im a union millwight lol mosty work in dofasco got some work in us steel this week tho

Oh speaking of, I forgot.

Hey guise, I know I was here talking about how much harder it is to have a wage and make ends meet now.. but hit the library and get some entrepreneur books.

It's actually easy as hell to start your own business and super profitable if you do it right. Millions of opportunities.

I'll be making approx. $125/hr. I can't rely on a steady flow of customers obviously, but prospects are already very good.

Get some books, they're full of super easy suggestions.

You'd better be trolling.

I hate this period of time. There's nothing to look forward to, nobody believes in the country anymore, and everything is expensive. Nobody even stands for the pledge at my school.

>considering the internet was just sold basically.
>These are the last days of free internet, so remember it when you're 50 or so.
I've been on a month long bender and have not heard of this. What the fuck are you/is he talking about? Did SOPA pass or something?

No, you're thinking post depression or post ww2.

Actual ww2 generation is the ones born around 1920-1930. You're thinking of baby boomers born after 1940.

UN will gradually filter internet access to the public in the future.

washingtonpost.com/business/technology/us-to-relinquish-remaining-control-over-the-internet/2014/03/14/0c7472d0-abb5-11e3-adbc-888c8010c799_story.html?utm_term=.baa1414afde4

wsj.com/articles/an-internet-giveaway-to-the-u-n-1472421165

usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2016/09/29/icann-iana-internet-address-book-autonomous-department-of-commerce-ip-address-transition-internet-corporation-for-assigned-names-and-numbers/91281960/

I am in UBC, yeah!

I'm a scaffolder, I worked at dofasco in may when they did the big lift, and also back in september of last year. Safway.

I'm Toronto union, but I'd switch to Hamilton if dofasco is hiring scaffolders. Do you know anything?

Your myopic, lazy, socially inept and incapable parents that decided to have a kid to give them a purpose in life, have unfortunately passed on their uselessness onto to you. By rewarding your failures, they have taught you how to embrace being a victim and to take the path of least resistance, all the while complaining about how you have it harder than previous generations.
By choosing to not discipline or to teach the concept of being responsible for your actions, you have become entitled and cry when things are not exactly to your specification.
Sure, there are a few mills that work hard and have made something of themselves, but those ones have never had the option of moving back home when things get hard.
You fail because your parents failed you.
This is what happens when people decide to be on equal terms with their children; not raising a child but rather, a peer.
But have this trophy for attempting to ask a difficult question.

Gen X and Boomers grew up in a fantasy land. The perfect time and place, it was literally pure luck.

We saw a huge boom in manufacturing at a time when we didn't have to worry about foreign competition. So we were able to sell massive amounts of goods, most of which were inferior to others but it didn't matter because they had little access to our big market, and unions became powerful. They demanded more and more and our parents flourished.

Eventually, people learned that foreigners made things better than we did and for less cost. Prices had to come down and so did wages but unions fought it tooth and nail, so companies left. They were welcomed with open arms by foreign countries who did not think a janitor working for a car company should start at $60,000 a year nor should an illiterate labourer make over $100,000 with overtime.

Instead of accepting the fact that the gravy train had come to a stop, they killed the manufacturing sector and drove the jobs out.

Now we just limp on, struggling to get those good times back and making them the norm again instead of accepting the undeniable fact that it was a bonus, a free ride for a few decades that never should have existed to begin with. Although those generations didn't want to accept that, so they just elected people who promised them more and more and have bankrupted us in an attempt to stay in power by giving it all away to the entitled.

Good times.

You cant compare the quality of life from one time to another just solely on numbers of jobs and amounts of money.

Technology and resources play an incredibly critical part in quality of life, regardless of those other things.

Don't forget giant cars, virtually free gas, virtually free electricity, huge ass cars, cheap ass houses, no brain jobs that paid gorillions, cheap food, parts of the earth still intact for exploring......

How the fuck does electricity be almost free when it's first invented, but now costs almost as much as gas what the fuck kind of JEWRY is this?

Sad thing is, a lot of us need two jobs just to make ends meet. Starting a business is a side to your normal job.

Except you have to compete with globalization and in my prime example indian, who dump the per hour prices down to 3$. You have to be outstanding to get hired for more than 25$
And IT is only the prime example. Every day more and more jobs are outsourced or given to machines.

There are even studies, that found out, that in 20 years only 35-40% of the western world will have jobs.

>Also housing prices are way out of control. I can go for hours about this.

Not a millenial, but young enough to have the same problems.

And housing is, by far, the biggest problem. Bullshittery in the housing sector has completely fucked the prospect of anyone making typical wage of ever affording a house. It could easily take a full TEN YEARS worth of pay to buy a mediocre 2/3-bedroom house where I live.

Ten. Fucking. Years. That's insane. You could literally send me out into the woods with nothing but a manual chain saw, a couple buckets of nails, and some basic hand tools, and I could build a comparable house, minus furnishings and fancy trimmings (which are a trivial expense compared to the rest of a typical home) in a fraction of that time.

The only thing I can figure is that people have come to value the convenience of location way too much. There are plenty of places where you can still buy an affordable house; they just tend to be what most people would describe as "in the middle of nowhere", despite not actually being remote (protip: if you have connection to municipal water, sewage, and electric, it's NOT "remote"). So they're willing to spend an unreasonable portion of their lives making money for someone else, and the cultural mentality that this is what you should be doing just perpetuates itself.

Personally, the only thing (and I do mean literally the ONLY thing) that keeps me from just saving up cash for a parcel of land in a nice, semi-remote location, is access to city water. I can deal with my own power generation (and, in fact, enjoy doing so) and wouldn't have much issue dealing with a septic system, but securing clean, running water 365 days/year is not something I want to fuck with.

this is so scarily accurate it makes me angry

The difficulty in the lives of people born since 1980 isn't how hard the minimum line is. Hell, everyone except the babyboomers had a much lower point to live in. Our difficulty lies in the lack of ability to raise your status.

We live in a time of unprecedented rate of post secondary education and trade apprenticeship becoming useless because the business chosen folds or moves outside the country. Many people with post secondary education diplomas have trouble finding a job that pays well enough to live let alone one that can be called a career to say absolutely nothing about getting a career in the field they chose. Trades are almost as risky because of unionization that keeps people at entry level due in no part to skill or experience but to time with that specific local and to the fact that they only take on when another member leaves.

Yes there is a great safety net in north america that will keep you from starving in the street due to bad luck but it is nearly impossible to get anywhere with traditional hard work. Your best bet is developing interpersonal skills and networking rather than any kind of training.

That is the big problem this generation has to face in the work force.

I would lick your butt hole.

u mean when they lifted the top off the blast furnace?
i was working at the #4 galv line across the bay when that was happening lol, had a great view of that job. i really dont know anything, i do know they have been trying to hire millwrights from my local lately. i know one quit and came back to the local, couldnt handle management or something lol

is there not much work in toronto? i heard toronto millwright hall was totally empty

I think it's fair to say that our advances in technology have not made up for the massive reduction in future prospects.

Yeah too much bullshit hoops and hazing tog et tradesperson jobs anymore. They think this is 1960 and life is good and that everyones got plenty of time and energy to fucking waste with fraternity initiation bullshit, when niggers now days just want to focus on doing work.

24 here, so I guess millenial? I own a house (bought at 22) have worked a full time job for 7 years (been an auto. mechanic since I graduated), worked my ass off and own 2 vehicles, summer sports car and a high end truck (truck almost paid off). I live in Canada and have a fiance too, who also is the same age. No co-signer on our mortgage, we worked and everything we have in our lives is because we worked our asses off.

Problem is, the older generation kept telling kids "get an education, you'll make 6 figures!!!" I have a journeyman certificate and she has a good job that requires a degree, but cause she worked hard at a term job, they hired her full time and she makes almost as much as me, we grossed $109k last year combined. Student loans, cost of schooling and the fact banks make it impossible to get a mortgage (a smart investment) but make it stupid easy to get a loan for a brand new car (terrible investment) is a huge problem...

I live in the same home I've lived my entire life, since the late 1980's. Yes, still living with parents.

I don't pay much attention to anything. I'm a movement disordered freak on SSI. But I have noticed one thing.

Most people in this area are my parents age, and most of them have been living here as long or longer than us.

This area used to be really nice. Now the roads are fucked, everyone is paranoid and leaving pit bulls chained up in their yards 24/7, shooting guns in their backyards and the entire area reeks of harmful wood smoke all winter because nobody can or wants to pay the astronomic cost of other heat fuels.

So, even someone with as much brain damage as me can tell shit has gotten a lot worse.

So you're the worthless fucking nigger taking all our money. People like you should be left to rot, instead people like me pay for everything for you.

Trump will change things. You're right though, everything is noticeably worse under Obama.

>I live in a remote shithole where property is fucking dirt cheap and got a boom job I was able to hold onto and find a girl at a very young age with financial stability to collaborate with, you all are lazy and stupid and have no excuses

No, this all began with GWB. Everything was it's best under Bill Clinton.