Is In Utero truly the only good grunge album?

Is In Utero truly the only good grunge album?
Discuss.

Grunge doesn't even exist outside of Nirvana

^

Soundgarden exists.

Grunge was a term used by the Seatle record sellers. They bundled EVERYTHING out of that town into the same "genre". The scam was obvious when you realized half of them were pure post Heavy Metal and half of them were pure post Punk.

nirvana was the only grunge band. the rest were metal/pop spin-offs of the bummy aesthetic.

Grunge was the genre of fuzz.
And fuzz is the easiest way to distinguish grunge.

No one was grunge. Nirvana were regular post Punk Rock. Grunge is a marketing term.

Does anyone actually know what grunge is? Is there any actual thing that all grunge bands have in common?

dirty guitar tones
rock aesthetics
accessible sound
sound focused on catchiness
simplicity
"rebel musicc" of the 90's

Rock band made popular in the mid-90s thanks to MTV. That's literally the only thing "grunge" bands have in common.

Nirvana is probably the only grunge band i like, and i love Nirvana, so yeah probably this, although it's more of a Noise Rock
Also i love Albini so there's that

Melvins Houdini is a pretty big contender

Mudhoney was the best Seattle band and it wasn't close

In Utero was merely Nevermind Part Two.

Hahahaha what?

Just play Rape Me and Teen Spirit back to back.

>implying layne wasn't a better vocalist and jerry wasn't a better guitarist

Dirt kicks IUs arse, and jar of flies is even better

Whil I think this is a dumb way to make your point, I do agree with the main assertion that In Utero is remarkably similar to Nevermind.

The "In Utero is patrician but Nevermind is pleb" meme makes no sense to me. They're both great records.

>muh overproduction!!!
Heaven forbid you can hear the instruments. What a tragedy.

genre is a meaningless term

People who jerk off over In Utero and think it's miles better than Nevermind should kill themselves

same thing goes for people who think Bleach is the best Nirvana LP

>people can't have opinions
I like Bleach the best but I don't do it to be an edgy hipster

>I can't let people think that I like what people like, which is why I say Insecticide is clearly the best Nirvana, because that way, they know I'm better than them (I'm more informed and rare)
>and if questioned, I will mumble vague buzzwords like "authenticity" and "rawness", which will make it seem like I value intangible qualities beyond the music, verging on a full psychological profile of the artist conflated with an overly nuanced emphasis on the "scene" it came from, how it developed, and why this record was undeniably the only pure effort from said band (informed by trends in music history), because I am very smart and informed you know.
>I can't just say I like the music because it "sounds good", or even comment on the obvious, well-trodden praises of said sings, because that would destroy my ability to overanalyze every jot and tittle of the album, within and without, leaving me nothing but a lonely faggot who's just like everyone else (the horror!)

you should unironically stab yourself in the gut

>reuses the same guitar riff

Yeah, I think every 12 year old noticed that upon the first listening.

Alice in Chains > Pearl Jam > Sound Garden >>> Nirvana

Nigga knows

that's the point tho

Hey, I like Incesticide too. Incest, not Insect.

Why are you so threatened by someone enjoying other things?

You know why

I don't agree with using autism as a pejorative like most of this site does, but it kind of makes sense now. Do lots of autists listen to rap?

I didn't say you couldn't like it. I said that if you think it's their best you have bad taste in music and you're probably just being contrarian for attention.

>all opinions are worth the same
Nope.

this and stone temple pilots and fudge tunnel