Why Is Jazz Put On The Same Level As Classical Music?

Its something I don't understand.

Music snobs lump Jazz and Classical together as the "superior" music as opposed to Popular music. Classical I understand- it has lasted all these years for a reason. But Jazz, I don't get it. Jazz has a lot more in common with Popular music- it just sounds like a bunch of musicians got together and can't decide on which song to play. Also, little emotion in Jazz.

I have nothing against Jazz musicians- I do agree it takes skill and all of that. But why is it considered an "elevated" form of music? This is true in most colleges and universities even- they have a Jazz Department. They do not have a Country and Western department. Its complete opposite of Classical music to my ears. I don't hate Jazz, to me its nice for background music at a coffee shop or bookstore, but to sit down and listen to it , no thanks!

In Classical there is more emotion usually, although I don't understand I-talian Operas very well. But I see why people respect Classical music as a higher level of music- and I don't take offense at that. But why Jazz?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kZMUAd7OJc8
youtube.com/watch?v=NdWJpHt1Xws
wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=290151
youtube.com/watch?v=e0yv07v9Qm4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>little emotion in Jazz.
you might have aspergers

no fucking way. i haven't seen the fast show in years. jazz club was my favourite sketch, or the lottery guy. off topic but thanks for reminding me about this show

Cheesy peas, brilliant!

Mums, brilliant!

Or of course....

youtube.com/watch?v=kZMUAd7OJc8

Jazz is the most emotionless genre. The music in the jazzists head is different from the output. They are so deluded that they think they making space egyptian jazz while in reality its just another piano bar track.
>they have a Jazz Department
Affirmative action

"Jazz" isn't an underrepresented group

Its a mostly nigger-american populated genre.

It's populated by all races. Blacks pioneered it. The best lived, sweated, bled, and died doing it.

Nice...

youtube.com/watch?v=NdWJpHt1Xws

Reread my post and then reply to it.

Ok...

...yep your post was ignorant and wrong

Because it's old. Rock is on its way to gaining similar legitimacy.

>Also, little emotion in Jazz.
u wot?

RIP :(

>ignorant an wrong
That means nothing when not backed by facts. Niggers are the majority of jazz and thus the fact why jazz is the affiramtive action genre of music.

>jazz
>little emotion
What the heck. Jazz is nothing but emotion, especially free jazz

You're a pseudo-intellectual. You're an edgelord child. Go read a book about jazz.

>Never been to Northeast United States
In 2017, in the academic state of Jazz, Jews are the majority.

Best answer

> it's old. Rock is on its way to gaining similar legitimacy

sad really

using simplistic arguments like "it just sounds like a bunch of musicians got together and can't decide on which song to play. Also, little emotion in Jazz." helps your argument very little. try understanding jazz, what syncopation is, American standards, a theme, a solo, what makes jazz, well, jazz. jazz is about the unification of musicians, who, while all have a singular piece to play (save for free jazz), create this synchronization through their own unique performing and playing off each other. it's about communication, which is far different than western classical

the fact that

>You're a pseudo-intellectual. You're an edgelord child
But youre the pseud who hasnt refused me.
>estabilished
>2017
WOw really makes you ponder...

Fucking newfags

wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=290151

>Wrong Planet is the web community designed for individuals (and parents / professionals of those) with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD, PDDs, and other neurological differences

The majority of jazz is on the same level of popular music; it's masterpieces like A Love Supreme and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady that are comparable to low-tier art music compositions.

But you're just wrong. At this time, Jazz is mostly Jews like Pete Bernstein and Ethan Iverson and their good goys like Wynton Marsalis.

>Why Is Jazz Put On The Same Level As Classical Music?
But it isn't?

>we talk about why jazz was established in academia
>he still talks about 10s jazz
Do you have some kind of reading disability?

>all these Sup Forums edgetards contaminating Sup Forums with no rational arguments but just emotional drivel

Please stop trying to form opinions about things you don´t understand.

But its you who can't explain yourselves. Saying improvisation and simplification is the peak of emotionality is insane.

That could be said of anything you retard.
>saying I V vi IV is the peak of emotionalty is insane
>saying ballades are the peak of emotionality is insane
Nothing about music theory or playing techniques are intrinsically "emotional". It's how you play music, how you uses phrases in solos. You know nothing about jazz, period.

>Why was jazz established in academia
Oh, that's what this clusterfuck is about? Still, the answer is (((Gunther Schuller))).

>pop chord
>classical music
>ballades
They are far from it but are infinitely closer than jazz. Finding emotion in randomization is funny. Might as well let AI do it, at least it will be smarter.

>randomization
>AI
See told you, you know nothing about jazz. I bet you listened 5 minutes of bad fusion jazz and drew your conclusion from that (and "randomization" is still not a thing in any kind of jazz). It's just laughable. Refer to this guy.

youtube.com/watch?v=e0yv07v9Qm4

People find emotion in the seemingly random movement of the weather, the way plants randomly create landscapes or the random motion of the sea. In fact randomness or at least what seems like random to us, often drives emotion more than something with a regular pattern, something too 'manufactured'.

>still hasnt proposed even ONE(1) counter argument
Do you even think before posting because it doesn't seem so.

What's with all the personal attacks, my guy? What are you so pissed about?

>"I have no real arguments but you better have!"
Except I did. Your arguments were "muh randomization", "no emotion" and you will continue to present only non-arguments till the end of time.

A Traditional Folk music club sounds neat. I wonder if I can start a club at my uni. Too bad I am anti social and an a loner (aka a pussy) to do it.

Noire ost is supposed to be on the same level as classical music, top kek
There is nothing random in them
>manufactured
Yeah, music theory is just 1+2

>tells me how I don't know anything
>doesn't explain why
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
>Muh randomisation
>muh no emtion
Because its true and you can't prove me wrong. Jazz is based on mediocrity and its at best just piano bar music. Even Adorno realizes that.

>Because its true and you can't prove me wrong.
okay buddy

You can't speak of truths when you don't know what you're talking about. Basically every jazz piece I've ever heard was highly emotional. "Randomization" also makes no sense, what does it even mean? You heard 12 seconds of someone playing a chromatic scale and you think everything was random? There is no tool called "randomization" in music.
>just piano bar music
I'm so glad I'm not this stupid and ignorant. Your entire argument is based on an uneducated opinion and few seconds of listening to some bad artists.

Stop replying, the guy is a classic Sup Forumstard that doesn't live in reality. If you post a valid counterargument he'll ignore it and pretend like you didn't, he'll use stupid emotion based arguments then get mad at you if you respond with similar, he'll claim things that have no basis in reality just because he's racist, etc.

Stop replying.

>I have no argument
>I'll just call him a troll

I'm an idiot who rates Hip Hop albums as high as Classical and Jazz albums, don't ask me.

MODS

Le no argument maymay

Maybe you just can't connect with jazz

>Basically every jazz piece I've ever heard was highly emotional
Yeah if you have never heard any other music and even more classical.
>Randomization" also makes no sense, what does it even mean?
>he cant grasp the concept of randomization
K e K
>Your entire argument is based on an uneducated opinion and few seconds of listening to some bad artists.
But you just said that every jazz piece you heard was highly emotional. Its so funny.
Or maybe you live in the reality where there is no classical but just jazz? Most of you here haven't heard much classical while I have heard better jazz than what most of the people here post(not this thread only) and its still not even close to the beauty of classical.

Yeah mods fuck free speechez and shiet my negroid

He's proving my point now.
Speaking in vague non-objective statements so that they're nearly impossible to counter, and then arguing with indirect non-responses to bait you into calling him a troll so he can respond with "not an argument".
Also more racism

Stop replying.

post the most beautiful classical piece then

Randomization obviously in the context of music you pedantic 15 yo. I even said "There is no tool called "randomization" in music" immediately after that. It's like you think you're clever but only humiliate yourself in every post.

Also my background is very diverse when it comes to music taste. I didn't even start with jazz, not even close.
>and its still not even close to the beauty of classical.
Remember how I said your arguments are entirely based on an opinion? No one cares what you like and what you don't. It's when you try to argue on that basis, and fail miserably. Again, randomization isn't a thing, to your juvenile head something in jazz might sound random, when it isn't.

Guy just hasn't heard the right jazz for him. Multi-faceted and complex genre with many moods and expressions.

I'm in my early thirties, and the emotions I feel when listening to jazz only become more relevant and identifiable with age.