This is not a GoT thread

This is not a GoT thread.

I want to discuss something general at the example of the character Varys from Game of Thrones.

In the latest episode Varys has two scenes: First he is in Dorne with the Sand Snakes and Olenna Tyrell. Then, at the very end of the episode, you can see him on board of one of Daenerys' ships on their way from Meereen to Westeros.
The distance between Dorne and Meereen is vast. The journey would take several weeks.

From this the viewer could come to two conclusions:
1. Varys is able to teleport.
2. The second scene takes place several weeks after the first one.

Why do so many people come to conclusion 1, when 2 is much more reasonable?
What could the writers do to prevent that?

It sure as hell doesn't take a few days to paint sails and apply gold trimmings to 1 thousand ships. We see Varys leave before that so it makes sense he would have time to go and come.

add a timestamp to each scene

Honestly, a very easy way that some shows/movies do it is to just tell you time has past with subtitles

>5:36pm
>Several months later
>etc.

Because people prefer to be stupid if given the option.

Do it like in the books but with subtitles and age. Put something like Daneryus Age 26 14 weeks and then next time something like Daneryus Age 27 1 week

Because Game of Thrones is a stupid show for stupid people.

You can also see Dornish and Tyrell ships in Dany's fleet. Those ships sailed to Meereen AFTER the meeting in Dorne to pick up the Dothraki. you can't fit 100,000 Dothraki on the few ships Dany already had.

The thing that bothers me is that he doesn't even NEED to be on the ships at the end of the episode. It's a conflict for no reason. He could have just stayed in fucking Dorne and no one would have said a god damn thing, but no he had to be there for the fucking Mighty Ducks screen pan ending. Arya also could have killed Walder Frey next season but they wanted a big shocker so she does it this episode, once again not necessary. Whatever.

That should be unnecessary, unless your audience is retarded...

same thing with arya that same episode. how the fuck did she get to the freys place so fast?

Welcome to GoT.

Probably took a week or two. She obviously didn't teleport, and she had made to decision to take her revenge as Arya stark. So is a week or two too fast?

This is not about the audience being reatrded, this is about doing things well.
When you have so many charachters, subplots, locations, ESTABLISHING SHOTS are a must.
They did the same fucking thing in Season 1, hell even in episode 1, but they did it well: the King's arriving, you see his fucking carriage, Catelyn is moving, they talk about it and you saw her on the road. They show you Tyrion camping, they show you boats, you always had a sense where everyone's going and everyone is and why.
They could cut the damn dick jokes and let us saw Varys departure from Dorne.
And no, I'm not retarded, I didnt NEED to see it, I got anyway that time was passed, but it's just akward and weird and cheap to see two scenes weeks apart back to back.

Because it breaks the rules of how the passage of time works in the show. There's usually at least an episode inbetween big travels. Varys left Meereen in Episode 8, so him arriving to Dorne makes sense. Making it back to Dany's fleet in the same episode makes no sense.

Whenever a character does that, like Varys or CIA, the viewers notice it. "But the passage of time" is a weak excuse for a weak decision based on keeping hype and momentum, without any regard for internal logic of the narrative. Sam was travelling in a completely different time frame, apparently, since he moved inbetween locations that are pretty much close to each other throughout the whole season, while Varys moves across the dangerous seas during a single episode.

Additionally, if Tyrell and Dorne fleets are already with Dany, it means that either:

A) Dany is already at least at the Narrow Sea and can invade the KL very soon
B) Dorne and Tyrells went on a dangerous route through the ruins of Valyria JUST to meat with Dany's main force, instead of waiting around Westeros

If you support A, then it would mean that Dany's invasion of KL should be one of the first of the events next season. And that's unlikely, because it ruins the hype momentum, even if its now logistically probable.

She may be relatively close to KL. Pretty sure Euron is going to interrupt her though. Like you said she can't get there too fast.

Not really faggot. This is a visual medium. There should be visual clues of times passing. There isn't. To have him in a location one scene and then a completely different one in another without any indication of what happens in the middle is a failure in the presentation of the show, not in any viewers interpretation.

You fucking knob

You're right. Also way more elegant than timestamps.

There is a visual clue that time passes. When we see Varys leaving for Dorne, it's before the masters invaded, before Dany returned, etc. Between then and when we see Varys on the ship, all those events happened plus the entire force and all of its shipped were prepped to leave.

So yeah, it is a failure of your interpretation. Fucking kill yourself you brain dead obvious Sup Forums tard.

Why do GOT actors always insist on making those awful "badass smug" facial expressions? Such cringe.

If you look carefully you'll notice Tyrell and Dornish ships with the fleet. Varys left on a secret mission to get more ships so I assume they waited a month or two until he got back. Now they have enough ships for all the soldiers they wanted to bring over and had the time to pimp out their ships.

The Dorne and Tyrell fleets probably went all the way to Meereen to help Dany transport all of her Dothraki (100,000 I think).
Maybe we'll see some Dothraki on Dornish or Tyrell ships next season. Then we'll know for sure.

>It sure as hell doesn't take a few days to paint sails ad apply gold trimmings to 1 thousand ships

I don't think they did them one at a time user

TIME DR FREEMAN?

If they'd left Walder for next series they would have had to keep him on contract for the sake of one scene.