Can buckethead even be considered music? it is uninspired shit

can buckethead even be considered music? it is uninspired shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1bSZslEDUl0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Listen to Electric Tears

B-b-but he puts out 379 tracks a year! That means he must be really talented and not that he just records and releases all of his shitty practice takes that normal guitarists would just throw away.

a few good tracks, the rest is weather channel garbage

I think he is legitimately autistic, maybe aspergers

Then don't listen to it fag. Or try and play better than him.

He really is fucking incredibly bland.

j
Are you being ironic? I cant tell. This is such a staple buckethead defense.Everytime someone shits on buckethead, some guys like "you gotta listen to electric tears bro!"

youtube.com/watch?v=1bSZslEDUl0
Only good thing he's ever done

Well there's a reason they do, if it doesn't click with you that's okay. To be fair, even I'd say half of it is filler, but it has some sweet songs.

ok so he never did anything good? what about jordan?

>not liking weather channel garbage

are you some kind of cuckold?

definition of guitar wankery

amazing player, shit music

Ain't nothing like a bit of guitar masturbation

Buckethead is a master.

Watch the young Buckethead is god video on youtube.

Listen to The Embalmer from the 2011 Hardly Strinctly Bluegrass Festival. It contains the best solo he's ever played while also being one of his most modest.

I remember being at a party where some aspie kept going on and on about how much he loved Buckethead and wouldn't listen to any other music with electric guitar in it because it wouldn't be as good as what Buckethead does
I ended up punching him in the face after he refused to shut the fuck up about politics and complaining about how the movie was unrealistic while everyone was high and watching dredd and got confrontational when told to stop.
I sure hope all Buckethead fans aren't as bad as he was

Ok real talk, what albums would you boil his discography down to, because I like some of his stuff

Not amazing at all. First he does so many genres that he sucks in all of them, if you like him for his wankery then why wouldnt you believe yngwie malmsteem or idk paul gilbert are better than him?
>inb4 hurr durr they have no emotion buckethead is a god
I dont know then dude, go listen to paco de lucia

Malmsteen is the epitome of soulless wankery. Paul Gilbert is amazing. Buckeyhead just has a certain voice on the guitar that is one of a kind.

Paco de Lucia doesn't really do anything for me. Great player, I'm just not touched by that kind of guitar playing as much.

>souless
Now this is what i was going for, what means for you to have "soul" in guitar playing?
I really believe that people who say that just cant understand fast solos without

Excellent phrasing, being able to manipulate the notes exactly how you want, dynamic variation. There's more, but those are some essentials and players like Malmsteen do not meet any of those criteria.

Fast solos are boring.

nah he's a hot young angsty millenial who thinks loud music is great and ambient/new age music is a snorefest

Do you think there are fast solos with soul? If yes please post an example
>this thing i dont like is boring
Of course it is boring, you dont like it.

Fast solos are not always boring if they are executed well.
Yes, Altitudes by Jason Becker comes to mind.

Running through scales is boring.

slow solos are scales too

Its nice but i mean, the first solo is slow and full of bends, vibrato like i said is what people reffer to "soul"
The middle solo is just sweeping which is kinda nice but i mean its so overplayed these days that it is boring and i dont see too much of a difference with yngwie from minute idk 3?
The ending is nice and i always like how he uses the floating trem

They're not running through the preset shape at a high speed tho.

Vibrato is a key element to making music sound soulful and that's why a lot of people say that. It's just another tool to use though. Like I said before, the soulful players can manipulate notes exactly how they want and having great vibrato is part of that. There's no objective soul element you can measure in any art form but the best artists can use all the tools they have access to in order to create the most individual piece of art they can, and this is usually called soul.

Sweeping is overplayed nowadays, but Becker mastered it when not a lot of people were that great at it. Also note how Becker's passages have great dynamic variation. He doesn't just play fast or aggressively all the time; he will strike a note fiercely with a bend then counter it with a very quiet, gently plucked note with some subtle vibrato. Becker also staggers some of his notes off beat but then pulls you back in quickly. He's the perfect manipulator.

>there is only one or two shapes or paths to choose in order to play fast
I mean if you are a shitty guitarist who wants to play fast of course there is an easy way, but good guitarists wont,
You can play mindlessly and slowly a scale and its called blues

Buckethead? More like cuckethead.

I know its a key element but i would say its even more a dirty trick, does it really matter how "soulful" it sounds if its generated by vibrato and tricks which are known by everyone ? It seems like killing a child in a movie, of course people are going to feel "sad" its a trigger.
Sure becker is great but werent we talking about bucketman?

what bs. Most of the shredders just play pre set scales fast. Shredders have to compensate their shit song writing ability with shredding

cheese shredders dont play pre set scales

Have you ever listened to guitar work that has a lot of sustained notes and no vibrato? It's pretty bland.

Like I said, you can't objectively measure soul in any art form, all artists have certain tools they use and the way they use these tools can make them stand out from one another and we just use the word "soul" as a label for that kind of thing. Humans also like to jerk each other off a lot and say there's so much soul and humanity in certain things like music and painting, so unfortuantely those kinds of people sort of tarnished the use of the word in this context because not all art really has those qualities.

And yes we were talking about Buckethead, but I was using Becker as a clear example of what fast, soulful playing sounds like.

The thing about Buckethead is that he's an experimenter first and foremost. He doesn't just make music for the sake of it sounding beautiful and what not, he plays whatever the fuck he feels like. A lot of his music is very strange sounding, but can you really call it bad? He likely got bored of conventional playing a long time ago and a logical next step is to make music out of clashing tones. Buckethead is almost flawless in many techniques which just increases the amount of tools he has at his disposal and it allows him to branch out in his music as much as he wants. This is why Buckethead will not always play "soulful" music. He has the ability up his sleeve for when he does want to, but he doesn't get stuck on that because he likes to sound weird and different. I can't teach you to like his stuff, but he is indisputably a master at his craft and to think his music has no substance is just retarded.

It depends on the lenght, metal riffs have no vibrato and sound nice but i understand what you mean
Of course you cant measure soul, that is why i tried to figure out what sound in music made your mind go "oh this is soul"

From what you said i would say he is a great contemporary artist, in the meaning that he makes art, he tries to make a statement. Thinking about this and reading you, it gets to me that the difference between him and more traditional guitarists may be the difference between old art and contemporary art. Trads mastered their art and they rated their work by how mastered and technic they were, while contemporary artists feel its more important what they work expresses and what is their statement. Would you agree on this?

Yeah I'd say that's pretty accurate. I think the whole soul thing extends across the entire exitence of music, but the way it manifests itself in music has changed a lot. If you think about it, the earliest musicians within certain styles had the most oppotunity to be innovative, and in the modern day there's not a lot of room left for innovation. And of course not all people will agree on what is or isn't soulful.

>the earliest musicians within certain styles
This applies to everything man made and is common in philosophy to talk about this, the earliest men could think anything they wanted, their minds were filled with blank, maybe some natural instincts
Nice talk user

The only Buckethead albums I know really well are Bucketheadland, Monsters and Robots, Somewhere Over the Slaughterhouse, and Acoustic Shards and those are all seriously excellent so this thread is a joke. He has hundreds of albums and I'm sure that some of them are not good/not worth listening to, but he's an amazing player and I'd bet that he has at least two dozen solid records. I generally find shredders boring and the cool thing about Buckethead is that he doesn't shred all the time, he switches up his playing style ALL THE FUCKING TIME and is a legitimate master of composition. But whatever, Sup Forums faggots hear the word "shredding" and get an automatic stick up their asses, probably because they know they'll never be able to be that technically proficient in anything. Also, I'm listening to the new album it's great.

why do you think he wears the mask

Nobody cared who he was until he put the mask on.

fuck what anyone says it doesn't really appeal to me but the guy can fucking play and write music

Yeah I enjoy some buckethead stuff but it's true alot of hardcore buckethead fans are worse than cancer, they think they have discoverd some secret truth guitar playing just because they've listend to an aspie wank for 50 min. I've mostly listend to whitewash as a nice ambient guitar album and enter the chicken which has lots of other talented people on it. I think hes good, not the best but he deserves the recogniton he gets from most people.