How to make music classes better

Students who finished music courses cannot actually produce music of their own, which is the whole point of going to a music course for many of them. here is my proposal to fix this problem:

Step 1:
Cut teaching the subject of music theory and classical history by 50%

Step 2:
Replace it with teaching production techniques and recording techniques. teach them how to use a DAW, teach them what is DAW, teach them ways to create a stereo image, teach them about different sound effects.

Some people can finish a music course nowdays without even knowing what DAW even means. it's that bad really

when you grow up you will realize that substance is more valuable than style

If you aren't retarded you should be able to teach yourself all of that, really.

Your post is about as valuable as a statement made in gibberish.

Learning music production and learning classical history are both substance. however i strongly believe learning music production is far more relevant to a musician than learning about classical composers

this is correct but academia is a scam

You can teach yourself anything.

That doesn't justify the fact that music courses don't actually teach you how to produce music.

Oh and btw, If music classes taught music production, they could teach you how to do it with actual professional studio equipment. that would be more beneficial than what you can afford at home

do you mean in grade school? because then fuck no. the government has better shit to spend money on than letting 12 year olds make beep boops.

kinda realizing how little it would make sense for you to mean that. ofc you mean post-secondary.

they literally offer classes in how to do that dumbass

>Cut teaching the subject of music theory and classical history by 50%
no thanks, this is what I'm actually interested in

it 100% depends on the institution you go to. its about picking the right one. i don't think its absolutely necessary on every single music course to teach people how to use a daw to the level that some do.

your steps seem kinda moot cause . maybe like if youre on about high school classes i could kinda see your point but it again depends on your education/course. it makes very little sense to be teaching things like production & recording when people don't know the basics and foundation of theory. i think grade 5 (eqv. high school level) is a good basis for this

I meant more high-schools.
There are all sorts of courses you can learn in high school, and one of them is the music course.

It makes little sense to teach only music theory and history but not teach anything in regards to actual music production.

And btw, music makes the life of all of us better. Humanity is better when we have good music to enjoy

what country are you from?

just what we need: more shitty soundcloud accounts and less knowledge of music theory

Exactly.

Most people don't compose from music theory anyway. most people compose from their imagination, and in my opinion composing directly from your imagination is superior to following the "blueprints" of music theory

Also, some of them will make good music.

I think the general idea of a music class should be that people will end up actually making music, you know

lol wut
no shit, i took music in high school and i think most people on Sup Forums did too if they were able.

in music class we spent 1 day every 8 school days on theory, that's hardly being taught "only theory and history," and less than that would be fucked.

we mostly played music, and most people practiced their parts at home. if that's not bringing music into their lives then idk what is.

and btw, schools do not have enough money to pay for DAW licenses. it was already 200$ a year to rent the instruments we used.

>I think the general idea of a music class should be that people will end up actually making music, you know
i only know ~12 people who got into music class for that. the rest did it because their parents, and for status.
a good chunk of the people i know who play music now didn't take music at all.

This is just your own anecdotal case.
In my case, every single person in my music class came there because they wanted to know how to create music.

They could at least teach how a DAW works and teach some recording techniques

>following the "blueprints" of music theory
the biggest tragedy of music theory education is that many people walk away from it with this crazy idea that it's a set of rules that you MUST abide by or else you will die.
because it's not. it's literally just an informal amalgamation of patterns that people notice composers who know what they're doing use when composing. if someone composes something weird and yields good results, someone somewhere will find a reason why it works.
idk what schools y'all go to but this was stressed like day 1

>This is just your own anecdotal case.
yours holds as much weight as mine.

>following the "blueprints" of music theory
wtf dude theory is more like tools that blueprints...

True, but the whole point of a music classis to teach people to actually create music.

If someone goes there and he doesn't want to create music, it's his own fault. the other people who go there actually went there because they wanted to actually learn something which is useful

Music theory and grade school band are far from the only music classes available.

>tools that blueprints...
tools THAN blueprints sorry

The deeper you go into music theory, the more it becomes "blueprints" and not just "tools"

Naaaaaa

Formal analysis are the blueprints. Harmonic analysis are the tools.

Maybe they don't want the student to get into the creation of recorded music.
They want him to do better things with his life

why do you think that people wouldn't just use what they are taught about DAWs as blueprints?

Earth is a better place for humans when we have good music to enjoy

earth is a better place when people aren't starving.

>True, but the whole point of a music classis to teach people to actually create music.
In every US college I'm aware of, there are classes dedicated to composition, classes dedicated to music history and its social context, classes dedicated to theory, and classes dedicated to performance. Also in every US college I'm aware of, you can choose whether you want to go into composition, performance, etc

>haven't found a job, but it's OK! i made another EDM track today and i'm sure it'll enrich the lives of all 3 people who hear it.

Because you still have the creative freedom you want to do whatever you want. it actually expands your creative freedom because it allows you to do things you couldn't do before

If you actually follow the blueprints of music theory, that can be limiting your creative freedom if you go too deep imo. it doesn't really enable you to do things you couldn't do before, it just gives you blueprints that some early musicians decided sounds nice

You don't have to give up the joys of life just because people are starving. you can both help people get food, and have people enjoying music at the same time.

Your argument is intellectually dishonest.

You generalize music students based on the worst music students, that's silly

That's like saying: "You shouldn't teach software programming, people will just make indie video games that 3 people will play XD"

And btw, even in your intellectually dishonest example that counts the worst case scenario, the actual artist enriched his own life with the music he makes.

>meme arrow exaggeration
>argument

>You don't have to...

maybe, but government funding should not be used for things that people will pursue of their own free will.

I was just saying that your argument was only taking into consideration only the students who fit your narrative instead of taking into consideration everyone who go and learn music.

Because the facts are that yes, some of them end up making it a career.

And even if they don't make it a career, it's still very valuable because it makes their life better

Studying audio and studying music are two different degrees. I'm an audio/computer science double major and they started teaching us pro tools at the 200 level.

Government spending should be spent to make life better for everyone.

I believe that it's highly beneficial teaching music in public schools

IT WASN'T AN ARGUMENT DUMBASS

>oh shit the science textbooks are 12 years old
>better buy frooty loops on every computer in the school

Again, this is an intellectually dishonest argument.
You know that we can have both, yet you pretend that you don't understand it

see

No, you tried to imply an argument by giving this example. that was the point of you giving this intellectually dishonest example

why do you get to decide my intent?

>I responded to your post, but my response was not an argument it was just... hmm... some green text XD i was not implying anything hahaha gotcha!

funny memes my friend ;)

lets just give the art classes photoshop too

They could use Krita it has all the painting tools of photoshop but it's free.

(it has less photo editing features tho, but you were talking about art class not photography class)

Pretty sure that wasn't his point. Maybe musicians should understand music before fiddling around in Ableton and then we might not have a world over-saturated with shitty Soundcloud beatz. Not to mention DAWs aren't really even relevant to the average performance student (but theory is).

ITT: people who don't know what music theory works for