This is unbearably pretentious and annoying

This is unbearably pretentious and annoying

That's fine we all have different tastes :)

Yeah, that album fucking sucks.
Next thread.

it's by definition decidedly not pretentious

what annoys you about it?

/thread

Goofy voices, forced funk kitsch, constant preaching

>it's by definition decidedly not pretentious
Uh it doesn't work like that, you can't just decide to not be pretentious.

Pretentious means "acting deeper than you actually are", and the album is completely pretentious. It acts like it's making profound statements about race and the human condition but once you actually listen to what he's saying it's pure stupidity. It's so stupid and irrelevant you can barely even tell what the song is supposed to be about most of the time.

>It's so stupid and irrelevant you can barely even tell what the song is supposed to be about most of the time.
Can you give any specific examples song-wise?

Yeah, it's pretentious crap.

Rap music as a genre is so bad that when something comes along that looks polished and / or conceptual people hail it as a masterpiece.

The writing is absolutely dismal. Like it's so bad. I can't even bothered to find a funny way to illustrate how bad it is

If these walls could talk, they’d tell me to swim good
No boat, I float better than he would
No life jacket, I’m not the God of Nazareth
But your flood can be misunderstood
Walls telling me they full of pain, resentment
Need someone to live in them just to relieve tension
Me, I’m just a tenant
Landlord said these walls vacant more than a minute
These walls are vulnerable, exclamation
Interior pink, color coordinated
I interrogated every nook and cranny
I mean, it's still amazing, before they couldn’t stand me
These walls want to cry tears
These walls happier when I’m here
These walls never could hold up
Every time I come around, demolition might crush

I listen to this album out of sheer fascination for how writing can be so shitty

>people unironically think TPAB is better than GKMC
disgusting

forced funk, it has the guy from parliament on it

It's a longwinded metaphor for his desire to fill the void with sex and an attitude towards women.

Yeah, it's pretentious crap.

Rock music as a genre is so bad that when something comes along that looks polisehd and/or conceptual people hail it as a masterpiece.

The writing is absolutely dismal. Like it's so bad. I can't even bothered to finda funny way to illustrate how bad it is

Wham bam, thank you ma'am
A cop knelt and kissed the feet of a priest
I'm an alligator, I'm a mama-papa coming for you
Keep your mouth shut, you're squawking like a pink monkey bird
This mellow thighed chick put my spine out of place
Hey, man, she's a total blam-blam
She said the had to squeeze it but she... then she...

I listen to this album out of sheer fascination for how writing can be so shitty.

Take a look at MF Doom or Aesop Rock senpai

actually i think it's very blunt in thematically. he literally used a poem based on a children's book as inspiration.

in fact, most of the metaphors and imagery he uses are intended to be easy to understand. his lyricism doesn't try to hide anything because it's not abstract in concept.

lol butthurt

isn't it about time for you to prep the bull?

>thinks TPAB is pretentious
You have to be listening to some really awful super basic bitch Chainsmokers level of music if a rap album comes off as pretentious. Rap itself is already basic bitch stuff, so you gotta be one level below that.

it's actually really good!
the writing and production are great!

The Blacker The Berry.

So dumb and ambiguous you can barely even tell me what the song is supposed to be about. I've been told down the grape vine that it's supposed to be about "racial discrimination"

Here's a rundown of the lyrics:
>You never liked us anyway, fuck your friendship, I meant it
White people never liked never liked black people?

Why? What leads you to believe this? What happened?

So right off the bat he's being incredibly racist by treating the entire white and black race as a single entity and thinks that everyone should just swear off any relations they have with the opposite race. He's basically inciting a race war, over what I'm not sure.

>You hate me don't you?
>You hate my people, your plan is to terminate my culture
Who? What? When where why?

Who hates you? You mean you specifically or you representing the entire black race? How are white people planning to terminate the black race?

The rest of the song is just more of this. But wait, there's a twist

It turns out white people aren't the ONLY ones to blame for bad things happening to black people in America. No sir, black people are also partly to blame for gangbanging. And the logic behind why this is supposed to be a bad thing is basically because bad things are happening to black people.

This is me trying to anchor the song to anchor the song to some kind of logic so that you can begin evaluating it and saying it does or doesn't make sense. It's just pseudo-intellectual crap and the more you try to make sense of it the stupider it becomes.

he preaches more on GKMC. if how much a dollar cost really gets under your skin and allusions to resisting satan in interludes are too much for you to handle, i don't really know what music doesn't trigger you

are you retarded

I get it, it's just horribly written

I don't know what point you're trying to make but Ziggy Stardust was never considered a profound study of sociopolitics

yeah, you were aware it was a kendrick lamar album when you turned it on right?

Wow, you feel so strongly about what I said one would think you'd have a rebuttal of some kind.

You sound like a nigger OP.

*negus

>black the berry points out hypocrites in black and white culture; democrips and rebloodicans
>umm.... Eugenics? Not hard to understand my guy.
>it's not like he wasn't trying to put out a positive image. most blacks interpreted it as black but I feel a key point in what you're trying to say is we don't act like it.

Sorry, we don't exactly keep a guideline for this shit. We never picked it up along the way we just kind of always had it thrown in our faces.

He's not speaking from his own perspective he's giving you a representation of black rage in general. Kendrick uses this a lot. It's like the backseat freestyle when he says "I pray my dick get big as the Eiffel tower" he's not throwing that out there because he thinks it's a good line he's speaking from the perspective of his younger self and it makes sense within the context of the album.

Out of all of the Bowie albums you could call pretentious that is the one that makes the least sense faggot, at least do Low or STS, but you probably haven't even listened to those.

WE

>only racists see no difference between the people in that pic.

man it feels good to be a nigga.

WUZ

KANGZ

N SHEEIT

I have no clue what you're trying to communicate

If that's the case then I don't understand how the "profound twist" at the end is supposed to tie into it

(Not him)
I think his point was you could twist the lyrics of any acclaimed or beloved album and make it sound stupid or goofy.

This lol good beat though don't listen to niggers for lyrics

But Ziggy Stardust isn't supposed to be profound, it's fun rock'n'roll about an alien coming down and fucking fat chicks. Sure the first and last tracks are somber, but it really is Bowie's funnest album.

If the last line of that song didn't give you chills you have shit taste

I just took some of his main points and wrote down my immediate thoughts as I read.
from the black perspective I mean. The way we view this album even if we don't like kendrick isn't as pretentious. We view it as something that is trying to tap into the roots of our culture. Basically what I'm saying is not only did kendrick take a look at the negatives in black culture.; He took a look at the negatives in white culture. and that's another reason why a lot of people may not like the album. We live in a time of unrest and outrage. How unsurprising is it to hear an angry black man rambling about something nowadays? And yet for some reason people loot at it as pretentious and art.

That's not why it was created. That's not what that energy is for. It's give and take.

>Sure the first and last tracks are somber, but it really is Bowie's funnest album.
100% agree. I was just assuming that was the first guy's point.

all the hypocrisies you find in the lyrics are the twist
I mean he even says "I'm the biggest hypocrite of 2015" and like said "why did I weep when Trayvon Martin was in the street when gang banging make me kill a nigga blacker than me?"

exactly.

I share a birthday with tupac so when I heard the album I heard exactly what he was trying to communicate. I can't say why but it just resonated.

>Basically what I'm saying is not only did kendrick take a look at the negatives in black culture.; He took a look at the negatives in white culture.
That's a noble premise but it's totally unsubstantial

His observations about the negatives are white culture are so ambiguous you can barely even tell that's what he's doing and his observation about the negatives of black culture are basically "It's bad to be a gangster because bad things are happening to other black people"

If he's just painting a picture of an angry black youth then that's that, my point just that it's totally devoid of logic or substance

The album is more of a reflection of Kendricks own life then commentary on society itself. Wouldnt say its pretentious and I found his emotional display in the album genuine. I cannot wait for his next albums to come to be honest.

The concept of duality is a cruel nature of give and take. It's the double edged sword. much like how one may describe the right hand path and the left hand path. And the thing with kendrick is he kind of shows you the sides of both.
To pimp A butterfly is something I would Liken to Dante's Inferno. Allegorically. A black comedy in some points. A sad story in some points. Y know almost like a movie. But It has a consistency. It holds together because it was weaved like a story.

Don't pretend the whole conversation with tupac at the end is not pretentious

Does art imitate life or does life imitate art?
(that's a rhetorical question)

if anything that's corny. i wouldn't call it pretentious. they both have similar generational effects with no way to bridge that gap. so it's pretty standard of an idea despite not being done

what's bad about those lyrics?

>If they use big words then they're pretentious!
Or maybe you're just an idiot? kek

your a polesmoking homo

God I fucking love this album.
Discussing the themes and concept is always interesting.

All the good discussion that could be had about it took place two years back. Now it's just anons pretending not to get it discussing the same two songs over and over.

If I wasn't in a stage of hating hip hop, I would have loved joining the actual discussion had I actually given this album a chance.