If children were not indoctrinated into religion, how quickly would the concept of god die out?

If children were not indoctrinated into religion, how quickly would the concept of god die out?

Other urls found in this thread:

icelandmag.visir.is/article/00-icelanders-25-years-or-younger-believe-god-created-world-new-poll-reveals
youtube.com/watch?v=UtykdDoaAnY
eo.nl/geloven/nieuws/item/nederland-is-god-kwijt-geraakt/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_Netherlands
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's human instinct to worship something.

I wish there was a God.

pffft, feeble-minded sheeple....

Yeah in communism, they tried to abolish religion but all that happens instead is worship of the party becomes new religion.

Religion would die immediately, spirituality would most likely remain because for some reason we need to not be reasonable

there is :)

Probably a couple of generations, just look at Iceland. 0% of people there under the age of 25 believe in God.

icelandmag.visir.is/article/00-icelanders-25-years-or-younger-believe-god-created-world-new-poll-reveals

They believe in elves though

Really!

It's already going to die in the West. More and more people are losing faith, this means that in the next generation not only there will be more apostates, but there will also be many people who were simply born without religion. After two generations religion will become like astrology or other superstitions.

Atheism is fundamentally self-defeating since atheists tend to not reproduce, so they end up removing themselves from the genetic pool.

This is misleading though, the real question was "do you believe the world as it is was created by God?", and saying that the world as it is was created by the Big Bang (the most preferred answer if you read the article) doesn't imply that God didn't create the universe/essence/anything and maybe started the Big Bang.

Explain our birth rate then

>More and more people are losing faith

Lemme put it this way. Would you go in a church with a transgender minister that tells you the Christian thing to do is hug a rapefugee?

The opposite of love is apathy, not hate. Militant atheism of the Dawkins sort is actually a religion unto itself.

Not every country is like Sweden

Pretty much the large majority of people have always been cultural Christians instead of actively practicing ones.

And his name is Khan Pekka of the Finnic Khanate :DDD

That will never happen as long as people eat shrooms.

Get rid of Christianity and the replacement could be far worse. Careful what you wish for because you might regret it. :^)

SAD!

>protestants

Depends, I was raised in a family where nobody went to church and was fedora tipping and arguing with my religious nanny by the second grade.
But, Bulgaria had religion purged from public discourse by the commies and that stuck around in the post commie period, people still aren't open with their beliefs.
I imagine a place like america could influence children even without their parents indoctrinating them.
All that said,
is right to a degree, the masses need an ideology, communism tried to fill that, now you have hacks trying to sell "science" as the moral arbiter of atheists.
The average person needs the answers without the labour of figuring them out for himself, so when you tell them it's all subjective you have problems.

Do you think he went too far with his retard cock theory?

It's human instinct to see patterns and seek understanding for how and why things happen. Religion can fill that void, but it doesn't have to.

This much is true. Religion, politics, ideology or just this funny spiritual "feeling" people get there's always something.

Most churches in Eastern Europe have been thoroughly discredited by their past collaboration with monarchies, Nazis, and commies.

Yea mormans are already infecting my city.

Within two generations there would be no religious people left. Those who still believe in god(s) will be pensioners waiting imminent death. The idea of god(s) will of course live on, but it will be one of those "stupid shit our retarded ancestors used to do" chapters in a history book.

In matters of understanding the universe - yes, in matters of morals and life purpose science does not provide answers. This is why religion is hard to purge.
People prefer the rigid lies to the "it's subjective".
This is true, but many are religious without a church.

>monarchies
Of all things, this is what keeps me from being able to be a practicing Catholic. The fact that they haven't formally denounced and condemned the institution of hereditary monarchy undermines all of their talk about the sanctity of human life.

>Within two generations there would be no religious people left. Those who still believe in god(s) will be pensioners waiting imminent death

This is just what they said in Soviet Union.

"We just need to wait for the last babushka to die and religion will disappear."

>25 years later

"How come there are still believers? They should have all died off by now."

"There's always more babushkas to replace those that died."

Religion is not the sole source of morality. It's certainly been massively important for the development of european morality and ethics, but it's not the be all, end all of it. Philosophers were already turning their backs on christianity as the pillar of morality of western society in the late 1600s, it just took quite a while for Nietzsche to declare Gott ist Tott. What could be called a proto-humanism existed long before christianity did and independent of strict religious beliefs.

>This is just what they said in Soviet Union.
And the objective reality is it actually worked. Prior to SU it was considered normal to go to Lutheran church. Who the hell goes to church now? According to one of the highest officials in the church here, there's only about 10000 people who actively go to church and maybe 30000 people who go at Christmas and other holidays :DD

Nietzsche was indirectly responsible for the disastrous ideologies of the 20th century.

The average person was never all that pious, they went to church simply because it was cultural norm back then.

It's a helluva social network, especially if you're Catholic.

Like what? Nazism?

Nazism only parroted the ideas of Nietzsche's sister and her husband who abused the name after his death. Nietzsche's talk of the ubermensch had absolutely nothing to do with race and he himself hated anti-semites, calling them "aborted foetuses". Nietzsche's not only awfully misunderstood (like people who think he's a nihilist), he also had his name dragged through the dirt post-mortem.

If you look at American intellectuals of the 19th century like Ralph Waldo Emerson, they were all huge Bible thumpers in comparison to the fedora-core European philosophers.

Well if we're talking about Estonians specifically then the real reason our people ever started going to church was that they really liked to get together and sing lmao

And I'm sure Karl Marx never intended for there to be a gulag archipelago, but...

>he also had his name dragged through the dirt post-mortem.
Much like many German composers. Didn't we just read about this shit going on last week at some tennis tournament or something?
*Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, über alles in der Welt starts playing in the background*

Not comparable and grossly anti-intellectual. Nietzsche had some of his work plagiarised and never deviced any kind of ideology himself. Marx on the other hand did.

And there's merit in that too. I'm not saying religion is bad as such, just that it's not an inherent trait of humanity, but rather one of several answers to a question we're all born asking.

I think it's natural that we're more religious/spiritual.

Richard Wagner was also blamed for inspiring Nazism although really it was just Hitler himself who worshiped Wagner and most of the Nazi leadership were unmoved by his operas.

European intellectuals lived in a land where the church was used as an instrument of state repression.

At the same time, Emerson was denounced as an atheist for denying the divinity of Jesus, although he was really a Unitarian like many intellectuals of his time.

Yeah...the churches here were at the forefront of social reforms like abolishing slavery and fighting for workers' rights. Later on, they were instrumental in the Civil Rights Movement.

Catholic priests in the US were fighting for social justice causes at a time when the Church in Europe was still bitching about the French Revolution.

>, just that it's not an inherent trait of humanity,
> question we're all born asking
Careful now. You're toying around with deeply religious ideas here.

If children were not indoctrinated into atheism, how quickly would the concept of godlessness die out?

>Do not indoctrinate your children. Teach them how to think for themselves, how to evaluate evidence, and how to disagree with you.
Nice try tho.

That's what my non-religious parents did and I'm very religious.

Your parents didn't do a very good job then.

>inb4 dibs.jbeg

>you don't agree with me which means that your parents did a bad job
Ayy, indoctrinated much?

>criticize religions for being irrational and anti-science
>still somehow believe in the religion of Equality despite it being irrational and anti-science
atheists are retarted

I don't think it's possible to 'think for yourself', 'evaluate evidence' AND come to the conclusion that god is real.

Also I'm pretty sure you're just baiting, but I don't mind.

>omit something to atheists that is completely wrong and baseless
>claim they are retarded on the basis of your false claim
wew lad

>it's not possible to 'think for yourself', 'evaluate evidence' AND disagree with me
Atheism is a strong drug.

Your pathetic attempts at ad hominem are useless because I'm not an atheist, but keep it coming jesus-boi ;)

m8 the vast majority of "atheists" believe in the whole "we are all equal" faggotry (which pretty much comes from christianity in the first place)

Literally nothing wrong with monarchy you fucking autist

>pathetic attempts
>ad hominem
>jesus-boi
*tips fedora*

Nope.

It won't. You can try to fight the Truth, but you cannot genuinely defeat it.

>having to obey the commands of an unelected inbred German hag

>having to respect the choices of the idiotic masses

Atheism means "denying the existence of a personal God" and nothing more, it's not an ideology. And what you're saying is false, you contradicted yourself when saying it comes from Christianity. The majority of Christians believes in equality then.

Based Croat

it is an ideology.

It's not. There are ideologies based on atheism, but atheism itself is not an ideology.

No, it's not.

Why do religious people act like they're atheists?

I've never really known a religious person so I don't get how it works

If the concept died, it would come back as soon as a really charismatic schizophrenic would be able to convince naive people with a weak mind that the voice he heard is a mighty being that is the origin of everything and that this being is ordering them to do things and convert people for the greater good, and that if they don't do it, their very being will be lost forever.
It's common when you think of all the sects there are.
youtube.com/watch?v=UtykdDoaAnY

Really? Give an example of behavior exhibited by a religious person which is attributable to an atheist and while you're at it what do you actually mean when you say "act like" an atheist... I didn't know there is anything distinctive about atheists' behavior aside from the fact they deny god.

I'm not sure that's what he means. Religious people in Sweden don't really talk about it. I personally know two priests and they're immensely chill about their jobs.

>aside from the fact they deny god.

That's the point. They literally believe in for example the Christian God yet a lot of them don't really care about following his rules that much and some seem to not even have read the Bible

They believe in something really weird that would change my perception of life yet they act exactly like me and sin constantly

In your mind being an atheist equates to being a sinner?

Depends. Atheists on their own dont breed much indeed, which is why we need the religious guys to stick around as a counterweight against both lack of children and to prevent us getting ideas like making a manmade totalitarianism as godsupplement. The DDR was atheist but had a good birthrate as long as it could afford it as they simply adapted the hitler approach were you pay off a bigass credit the gubmimt gives you by making a certain number of children.

In Christianity everyone's a sinner but what I mean is an atheist doesn't believe in God's law so he has no reason to care about it and similarly religious people doesn't seem to care about it that much either

"I don't think that atheists can be patriots or even good citizens."

And why should they? There's compelling evidence to suggest that if you sin, nothing will happen. I think eventually even the most dense people will figure out why that is.

Be fucking glad that most of them do.

Religious people are a minority here.

Then again...

14% believes in a God that involves himself in human life (aka organized religion).
28% something might be there but they don't know what.
34% is agnostic atheist.
24% is atheist.

Note that only 13% of the catholics believes in heaven. And 77% of the protestants believe in heaven.
eo.nl/geloven/nieuws/item/nederland-is-god-kwijt-geraakt/

Society would just collapse morally (like it is doing now) and people would take up religion again. The so-called scientific revolution has only taught us nothing except that we know nothing at all, and pretending that we are reaching some sort of pinnacle of humanity without God is arrogance and foolishness. A Godless society has historically never been sustainable and the West in 2017 certainly isn't.

>this is what religious people actually believe

t. Sonic the Social Darwinist 666

>Fewer than 200,000 people, or 1.2% of the Dutch population, attends Mass on a given Sunday, according to information by the Catholic Institute for Ecclesiastical Statistics (KASKI)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_Netherlands

man I've been here many a time, used to live nearby.. one of the quietest areas, never saw anyone really going in.. amazing architecture though.

Religion is not a per-requisite for moral behavior. That we know nothing was taught to us by a certain bearded nutjob from Greece. I don't think anyone seriously believes or pretends to hold up that modernist progressive stance about humanity. The reason why the West is not 'sustainable' is not because of a lack of believers, ironically it's the other way around isn't it, by a constant influx of deeply religious "people"? :DD

>American intellectuals

It took about two generations to die off for good where I live.

It can work if you fill the vaccum with a manmade dogma. Preferrably something not as edgy as communism or natsoc.
But manmade dogmas are often more instable and volatile then the religious morality that has formed over a very long time with only occasional fuckups when something new is introduced by force like Islam or protestantism.
So while I disagree with you I do not believe I wanna try out another society completely detached from religion as the chance of it being a stillborn abomination is pretty high.

Why do we need Gods when we have King Willem Alexander to lead us.

>This thread

Human stupidity is eternal, there would be a massive reaction against it and a whole bunch of new cults would form.

I've come to accept that maybe there is a religion gene somewhere in us, so it's unlikely for the forseeable future religion will lose it's influence in our societies.

What about Japan, China and Russia?