What's the best Lovecraftian film you've ever seen?

What's the best Lovecraftian film you've ever seen?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x10q4a6_tales-from-the-darkside-season-1-episode-6_shortfilms
i.imgur.com/5NlWLKg.gifv
youtube.com/watch?v=UozhOo0Dt4o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No film is truly Lovecraftian (it's impossible), but In the Mouth of Madness is GOAT and the closest we'll ever get.

>it's impossible
Why?
What makes it impossible?

>No film is truly Lovecraftian (it's impossible)

How so?

10 cloverfield lane

Because all stories are written from a narrative point of view.

Alien
The Last Wave
Birth of a Nation

If you're asking that question, you don't understand Lovecraft. There will be a dozen mocking replies to this, but they don't make what I'm saying any less true. You seriously do not understand Lovecraft if you think it can work on film

How do you portray somthing that is supposed to be so alien and impossible that it destroys sanity?

You can't. No spooky memetastic CGI can create somthing like that.

Dagon

In the Mouth of Madness is a close second.

Re-Animator and Evil Dead 2 are good if you like some camp with your eldritch horror.

From Beyond is worth a watch too

>start reading a Lovecraft story
>expect bone chilling horror tale
>get dry news report

I don't if I'd say it's best but AM1200 was pretty darn good.

the Thing is a pretty good depection of how something "formless" could look like

It doesn't at all qualify as Lovecraftian, but the Mist is worth a watch. It at least has some neat eldritch shit.

The whole gist of Lovecraft is horrors that literally are beyond visual comprehension.

So, it's technically """impossible""", but that doesn't mean there can't be good tonal Lovecraft adaptions. The real reason we haven't seen such is the budget would have to be high, and the dedication strong.

And the best Lovecraft film I've seen is pic related.

>"formless"
>looks like a fucking dog

This. It even drove Blair insane at the prospect of the thing getting to the mainland.

>

>one of many forms

Here's a fun drinking game:

Take a shot whenever you read the word "sepulcher" or "eldritch". Guaranteed dead 2 pages in

Its sad that a lot of that cut content will never be recovered. They really filmed some grotesque shit. WIth some insight into optics, sound, and the nature of fear, I think the envelope could be pushed into something that could be considered "truly" lovecraftian. It would likely be x rated though.

This post made me think of Banshee Chapter.

That movie was creepy as fuck and had a very Lovecraftian feel to it.

Not a movie, but I highly recommend that you check out a Tales from the Darkside episode called "Slippage" if you like Lovecraftian shit.

20 minutes of your time, and a pretty good example of Lovecraftian horror, IMO.

dailymotion.com/video/x10q4a6_tales-from-the-darkside-season-1-episode-6_shortfilms

Dagon gave me night terrors for weeks. I dunno why, it wasn't really that overwhelming while watching it. It just left me with an overall sense of hopelessness at the end

Here's a fun drinking game:

Take a shot whenever a namefag or tripfag has something of value to say.

Spoiler: you'll never drink a shot

i.imgur.com/5NlWLKg.gifv
something like this

>Doesn't spoiler his spoiler

You already lost m8

i watched a lovecraftian movie once but it was so scary and horrific and appaling that words cannot describe it and its now driven me mad and i now write these words from my cave of doom and despair from being too scared by this lovecraftian horror movie ooh scary

That's pretty close to what I was thinking about in regard to optics. Imagine all the fucked up ways you could screw with someone's mind just visually. Similarly there are audio distortions and sounds that are really uncomfortable to listen to that can create a sense of unease or even pain.

Why did you type this?

The Babadook

His influence is felt in a lot of films
>The Thing
>The Mist
>Event Horizon

Possession

Could Hitchcock have done it? What director could have?

Shane Carruth could do it

>cyclopean
>singular
>mildewed

This user knows what's up.

Jungle Fever, miscegenation is a truly horrific and abhorrent behavior that leads to the destruction of lives of the participants and satellite individuals who are within its circle of influence.
It also leads to negro eggs.

Implying that faggot would ever want to make something interesting.

They made a good Charles Dexter Ward movie starring the guy from Fright Night.
Call of Cthulu Silent film was ok.
I have Dagon at home be haven't watched it. Fell asleep during the 70s Dunwich Horror so no opinion there.

I don't think people realize how many lovecraft movies have been made.

You can by not showing it.

I don't see why lovecraft couldn't work on film, just don't show it or obscure much of it.
Take mountains of madness. The only truly eldritch thing (that strikes terror into the of men and all that) that is featured is not ever seen by the narrator and its one witness refuses to elaborate on it. The shoggoths could easily be made terrifying by keeping them mostly in the dark and the elder things were intended to be sympathetic.
As for the color of outer space, make it iridescent or something, like the surface of oil.

If you people seriously think they can't cgi up some random textures and tentacles into something horrifically startling then you probably don't get to talk about lovecraft.

You can build up the dread without the narrative structure, but it needs a whole team of people who comprehend the ins and outs of loveceaftian horror and spoiler alert, the industry isn't exactly run by motivated, creative and literate people.

Reanimator is great.
Last year's Banshee Chapter was kind of shitty but it had some pretty fucked up horror concepts at play.

Uh, you don't?

> show people's reaction to it
> show how it affects people
> show how it affects it's environment
> use audio / visual ques to imply it's presence instead of directly showing the thing
etc.

Don't show much of it, but when you do show glimpses of it, make every effort possible to make it as repulsive, grotesque, shocking, bizarre, or unsettling as possible. Actually try to break the mind of the viewer.

> show people's reaction to it
>every terrible found footage horror with a small budget

yeah you show'em namefag

Good film.

All of true detective season 1

Again, going for the most blatant and gimmicky

How about a character recounting his experience with the object of horror, contrasting his reaction with the listener's unbelief.
Like the diner scene from Mulholland Drive, up until the jumpscare:

youtube.com/watch?v=UozhOo0Dt4o

>When, long ago, the gods created Earth
>In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
>The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
>Yet were they too remote from humankind.
>To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
>Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
>A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
>Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

What did he mean?

there are many films that are directed with a narrative point of view. what's your point

Bloodborne is the closest to "lovecraftian" you getting senpai

This shit still spoops everytime.

Am1200 and the corridor.

True Detective S1 was openly lovecraftian, and it was rather doozy.

How about an anthology series based on modern weird stories