I don't want to live on this planet anymore

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=um-cuvhJj0U&t=56s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is this shit real?

'fraid so, man

Can confirm, my half sister is in elementary school and this is how they learned to addition

it takes longer, more space and is not even easyer, there is no point in using that methode

there is an easier way
53 +37
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90

But if you get used to it, you can addition in your head much faster eventually.

what about 2346+ 17543

how's that done in common core

+3
+10+10+10+10
+100+100+100+100+100
+1000+1000+1000+1000+1000+1000+1000
+10000

Left is way smarter on paper, but once you learn to do the thing on the right in your head it's way faster. In what country do they learn kids to pull this shit on paper??

P E M D A S
E
M
D
A
S

is this a joke? Seriously

How do %Insert any Asian we typically stereotype as being good at math% learn it?

What? The old way is the same as the common core way. In no world is that expression equal to 1.

Step 1 (2*2) = 4
Step 2 20/5 = 4
Step 3 4(4) = 16

jesus christ you fucktards, they learn both methods. The second method seems slightly different then what i think it would be but all it really is is what your doing in the first one but explains the math better. If you were to add 37 to 53 in your the first thing you would probably do is split 37 to 30 + 7 because those numbers are easier to add. This is what the "new math" is doing by splitting it to 5+2+10+10+10, why then split 5+2 to 7 i dont know but it probably has to do with the op wanting to make it seem like it worse then it actually is. When you do the first method your really doing the same thing but with less thought, your just splitting the ones, tens, hundreds ex into there own units and subtractting. Im really drunk but even I have the open mindedness and logic to see why this could work.

This doesn't seem all that bad, but why does it split the 7 from the 37 into 5 and 2 instead of just adding 7?

Makes me mad every fucking time.

>planet
>shows us the shitty educational system implemented in certain states in the US
but tbh who ever had that great fucking idea deserves to die

B E D M A S
E
D
M
A
S

Time to end it all

Thanks this helped me solve my math equation.

You'd multiply 2 and 2, get four in the parentheses. Then you would distribute that four into that five, leaving you with 20/20 which is also one.

Despite this being a Futurama quote I feel compelled to point out that, in fact, we live on a planet.

That's fucking great for absolutely no one. We have calculators.

Teacherfag here. I can kind of see the logic behind it. Basically breaking down a fairly large (to a second grader) problem into a series of smaller, easier problems. I guess it remains to be seen how effective it will be compared to the old method.

I mean with order of operations its- 20/5 (2×2)
20/5 (4)
4 (4)
You solve parentheses first, then because of no exponents move onto multiplication/division from left to right

That can't be fucking real

what is:
"ok google, what is 2346 plus 17543?"

20/5(2*2)
20/5*(+4)
20/20
???

Can someone explain step by steh how they do it the new way, cant ser the logic

Looking at it, instead of nicely adding columns like the left
they take the left number, and hold onto it. 53.
then they break down the other number, the smaller number, into easy to work with numbers. 2's, 5's, and 10's.
take that 53 you held onto, and add 37 gradually with the broken down numbers. 53+5 = 58. great. then 58+2 = 60. Then add 10 three times

it's so convoluted

WoW seriously math designed for retards. Why aren't we already just using a calculator

ah now I ser, but in my eyes, that is ovwrworking it as fuck, imagine doing programming using that methods doing calculations

>3 + 7
>0 down, put 1 on top of 5
>8 + 1 = 9
>90
it took me so long to understand how they were doing it on the right.

But....it is possibly. One pizza can just be bigger. ....huh

Right is sort of what I do unconsciously. I do it the other way, though, so larger number first and smaller ones second. 53+30+7.

guys you should see how they teach algebra to HSC students (year 12 in Australia) its called what happened to the x, i dont have a good example but its autistic asf and takes forever, also its dodgy when theirs 2 x's

Oh this is common core. I basically taught myself to do math this way as a kid cos I sucked balls at it. Don't really see an issue with young kids learning this way as it helped me figure shit out until it all became second nature.

In your head that takes a few seconds. Quicker than getting your phone out, unlocking it etc.

No way in hell that could possibly come out to one

This kind of shit wouldn't happen if we just used RPN

the answer to this one is simple... Marty, being the nice, concerned white kid he is, decided to share his pizza with that filthy stinking spic Luis. After he finished eating 4/6 of his pizza, he gave the last 1/3 of it to Luis, whose family cannot afford pizza because they're lazy spics. Luis, wanting to save a little bit for la familia, ate only 5/6 of that last 1/3 of the pizza. So Marty ate more, but Luis damn near finished it.

Problem is how the other Person defines the / . i have seen a Picture of 2 calculators with the same equation and differend results. Just add braces so everyone knows what you want
(20/5) (2*2) = 16
20/ (5(2*2)) =1

Common core is designed to dumb the future generation. Dumber sheeps, easier control.

Fucking jews.

Old fag here. When I was young we were taught both methods. The second one was referred to as quick math.

It's way quicker to do this kind of calculations in your head.

I came very handy for calculating change when I was a pizza delivery driver.

Although in this particular example we would do 37 is 7 and 30, so 53 + 7 = 60 + 30 = 90.

bodmas

Thing is, they are slowly teaching the old method less and less.
I was also taught both ways, but my son has only been shown the quick way.

its funny because Peggy is a teacher

Ah, thank god a education system hate thread. A good 50% of all of school is stuff you will never need, and taught in a stupid fashion. Homework is unnecessary, you have the entire day you fucks. School does punishment over correction.

Lazy spic? Maybe slowpoke rodriguez

What are we supposed to do? Kids are taught to pass standardized testing, schools that get higher scores get more money. They're taught only what's on the test and how to treat it like a game, correct ways to answer things that the test graders want to hear.

Reminds me of a guy I work with telling me about trying to help his kid with his homework. It was a division problem, so the guy started to walk his kid through the long division method and the kid had no idea what he was doing. The kid tells the teacher the next day, and the teacher calls the dad and asks him not to do that again.
"We don't do long division, we do 'Circles And Dots'".

deh dur dur herp

use units of groups of 6 to figure out how much 6 groups of 6 and whatever the fuck you're supposed to do with how many god damn units when you subtract a few to make 100.

remember those units can be 6-1, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4, 6-5, and 6-6, as long as they're used by units of 6 to find out how many (6-5) + ? - ? = 100 is.

but wait, remember you can add 1+5, 2+4, 3+3, and 6+0 to utilize those groups of 6. it can be tricky because you know there will be addition AND subtraction involved.

how long will it take for you to solve this answer in 60 minutes?

100 + my teacher = 100, i'm the first one to solve the problem.

the order of operation has always been left to right when all the operation have the same priority. there's literally no damn reason you would do 5*4 before 20/5. unless the "old way" is from before everyone i know ever went to school.

Yes there. It's still in parenthesis, and until you're finished with parenthesis, you do them first, even if it's to multiply something outside of it

I do not want to live on this planet anymore either. If I carry the one can I just leave?

>A good 50% of all of school is stuff you will never need

Yeah, like history, biology, maths, chemistry, states and political systems, geography, topography, french, german, latin, greek, who needs any of it amirite? If you think basic education was 'stuff you will never need', odds are you are an idiot.

This is the man trying to get the kids brains to think in weird linear ways like computers. It will make it easier to control them. This some American Common Core Buillshit. Man they so fucked up.

No you don't. The answer is 16.

I confirm you fucking don't

Such bullshit I saw my kids hw, this Shit was nowhere on his paper. Nice try

How the hell did you get one

Fuck that teacher. She should be fucking fired. That bitch what a cunt

Take it to /r9k/, sperg.

eventually

youtube.com/watch?v=um-cuvhJj0U&t=56s

me neither mate

my lil brother is doing homework at the table right now and i just walked over there and he is doing this. It's only in some states/grade levels

Yeah, it's been taught for decades. It's called head math.

For one or two lessons, sure. But The same kind of head math has been taught for decades.

See

>samefag needs to go back school
It's called arithmetic.

It is the same fucking way

if that takes you longer to think of than typing a google search, you should still be in grade school.

Remember that this is a way to teach math to little kids. Yeah it takes longer, but that's because it's easier to understand and teach. And then, once they're out of first grade, they can skip the steps like breaking 7 into 5 and 2, because they just know that 3+7=10, and it becomes
>3+7=10
>50+30=80
>80+10=90
Which is the same as old math.

>easyer
>methode

You don't seem like an authority on education.

Substitute teacher brah

What autistic retard came up with that?