Will they be considered as legends 30 years from now?

Will they be considered as legends 30 years from now?

Other urls found in this thread:

metacritic.com/person/slipknot?filter-options=music
metacritic.com/person/korn?filter-options=music
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>remember the death grips meme? XD

About as "legendary" as Limp Bizkit

They're the pink Floyd of our time

Probably.

Sorry this thread has garnered so many shit posts already.

only if they make more government plates

Without a fucking doubt. They've changed everything.

You know this site is 18+ right?

'no'

>they're still trying to force the Death Grips are bad meme xD

This.
And probably something like this.

Them changing everything is hyperbolic but they're definitively one of the few "progressive" bands of the 2010s. Now I'm expecting your non-reply of "no they aren't" while not even naming a single band that better fits the label I set forth

Nah, actually I agree I just think they're a bit overrated

None of them said anything about being bad.
They aren't really changing anything, I agree with them being one of the few original/unique mainstream acts out there tho.

They probably are, that's something I can agree with. But I wouldn't doubt if people look back at them fondly in 30 years.

They're a good band, but their fanbase is fucking awful thinking DG is above every other band or artist.

As a product of an era band. Nothing trascendental considering their fanbase, despite being loud, is self contained and they haven't really spawned a movement or something similar. They will be remembered for sure, but not as a cornerstone or watershed.

the nu-metal of our time

>product of an era band
Judging how much of a transitional era this is in human history that's actually good for Death Grips' case.

>progressive
Since when is doing things that were already done 10 years earlier considered 'progressive'?

You're still parading around this Blackie/Dalek meme in 2017, huh? Most everything's been done before at this point in time, which is why it's such an arduous task to find originality in music. At the very least what Death Grips has done is condensed a sound which has laid dormant in the underground and compiled it together to create at least the vaguest sense of something refreshing. Quote unquote, "progressive".

But by all means, find me a band which could better fit description.

I think they'll seen as sort of The KLF of our time.

I think their contribution in the mainstream with big artists turning to more abrasive, almost industrial styles will be overlooked. The bigger artists will be seen as innovators rather than piggybackers

They've made every other type of rap look like shit so yeah probably.

oh fuck no...

or do you mean legends for being so goddamned awful?

Who?

I pretty much forgot about them
I still think they haven't totally found their sound, something is always off.
The closest they got to it was NoTM though

That's pretty sad tbhfam
At least I'll know, the influence of DG is already surprisingly huge, I discover it everywhere

Not even relevant aside from virgin nerds

Pretty much this, the way they blend some seemingly incompatible elements is very interesting, but I can't see them as "the true masterpiece of this decade" as so many people put it.

the will be remembered for being sperge-tastic.

As opposed to what else though?

What do you mean "opposed" ?
How do you even oppose different styles of music even ?

I imagine they will be remembered somewhat fondly. Certainly better than OFWGKTA is remembered now 5 years after their relevancy.

Cult classic at best

This. Imo ten years from now 10 people are gonna remember them REALLY REALLY well.

Do Americans schools even teach reading comprehension?

They're literally the Limp BIzkit of our time.

how though

>liked the album when it was cool but decided to change his opinion to fit that of the Sup Forums hive's because "haha death grips are a meme"

American here, think this guy was just broken at birth tho

A band who makes a song like On GP is definitely not anything like Limp Bizkit. Stop trying pls

they broke up two years ago and are still doing festivals with their burlesque-punk act

some of their stuff is great, but they have failed to keep releasing groundbreaking material, which is their hang. Money Store and NLDW are untouchable. The Powers that B is a joke and they knew they couldn't end on that

hey, i agree with this guy

No.

I didn't say it as a negative.

>the people who stole a gimmick aren't going to be remembered but the people who stole from them are
>ah woe! at least I know the original thieves!

do you care to explain why you think TPTB a joke? It has some god-tier songs

Agree with everything in this post

The KLF innovated like three different genres. DG didn't innovate on anything like their level.

They aren't. Dalek. Techno Animal. Etc.

To limit it to just hip hop, the better fit would be Shabazz Palaces. Not as popular as DG, but far more progressive. They go for a kind of abstract lyrics play that gets stupidly dense making Aesop feel like simple stuff, but more importantly they have even less straightforward song structures with one track that can often sound like many tracks and unlike many other experimental hip hop guys these days they didn't jump on the noisy production bandwagon nor the wonky one, rather it's something of their own style.

They're the Iggy Pop and the stooges of our time

They've streamlined the sound, as had already been asserted in

>streamlining something that has existed
>progressive
What?

dalek and TA are fine but they haven't done anything nearly as profound as Death Grips, I'm sorry to say. It's not like the Beach Boys vs. Beatles argument where the former simultaneously is considered more progressive than the latter and has an opus to corroborate that claim. Instead it's just nondescript shit-flinging that because they venture similar sonic territories they must be even remotely alike.

>streamlining more experimental works
>profound
Just because a band is more popular doesn't make them better, more progressive, nor more profound. It just makes their fans less knowledgeable.

Except music critics like them. Stop forcing this meme.
this
Haha nice meme one upvote for you good sir!

Okay, so would you rather just give up arms and admit that true originality is impossible to achieve nowadays? Because that's ultimately what you're going for here.

That does not refute my point that dalek doesn't have an opus of particular artistic or critical note.If progressiveness was determined purely breaking new sonic boundaries, then there'd be a basis of truth in what you're saying, but that's simply not the case. Instead, progress is the culmination of the aesthetic, sound, and ethos a band stands for and the subsequent effect and implication such a thing has on the industry at large.

you aren't any good at words are you. go write that paper, fåm

Where's the fault in what I said?

>Except music critics like them.

>legends
>literally stole their sound from niggy tardust

literally who?

didn't mean to quote

A bunch of hobos from Sacramento who call autism meltdowns music.

And who are this guys supposed to be?

the nu metal is bad meme is officially fucking dead
the first korn album is still particularly good

>Scaruffi
>Representing mainstream critics
he's the biggest contrarian of all time bub

limp bizkit weren't hated by critics when they were on their peak (see: first two albums)

also:
metacritic.com/person/slipknot?filter-options=music
metacritic.com/person/korn?filter-options=music

>you aren't any good at words are you. go write that paper, fåm

>Okay, so would you rather just give up arms and admit that true originality is impossible to achieve nowadays? Because that's ultimately what you're going for here.
I literally gave an example in my first post in this topic of Shabazz Palaces. Death Grips obviously have a streamlined sound of a previous sound (most like Blackie's) meanwhile there's literally nothing at all like Lese Majesty in hip hop.

>That does not refute my point that dalek doesn't have an opus of particular artistic or critical note.
>RYM for The Money Store and The Powers That B are 3.75
>RYM for Absence is 3.76
>Both TMS and Absence got the highest scores for both with an 8.7
>On Sputnik, Absence has a 4.1 avg with TMS a 4 and Jenny Death 3.9
This is keeping in mind that quite a few of these numbers should be largely in DG's favor due to sheer accessibility and popularity. They might be less known, and you might now like them, but it's downright ridiculous to say none of those artists made anything of artistic or critical note.

>Instead, progress is the culmination of the aesthetic, sound, and ethos a band stands for and the subsequent effect and implication such a thing has on the industry at large.
Cool, so then I guess Skrillex is the REAL most progressive artist, right? Culmination of the budding new image for EDM, taking Rusko's wobble sound that he had freshly made at the time and making it more electro due to Gaga's electro pop revival, with an ethos around partying with a large influence on the music industry and most 2010s music.

>Cool, so then I guess Skrillex is the REAL most progressive artist, right?
Bit of a strawman, no?

Look, Death Grips' gig has, since day one, been their fusion of visual art and music. That is their aesthetic, their ethos, with the sound being supplementary. They themselves have said that exact thing before, albeit in a more pretentious manner (but that's beside the point). The movement that's sprouted from them is not just rooted in sound but in that visceral sense of detachment that goes hand in hand with post-Snowden paranoia and the Web 2.0-age. Something not at all around during the primes of dalek or even Blackie.

Now, I don't really want to get any more pretentious than I already have by analyzing their motifs and shit in their entirety, but ultimately my point is, the niche that DG fulfills is much more pertinent and abstract than dalek's ever was, and it touches more people than dalek ever has. Before you equate what I'm saying with "hurr durr they're popular so they must be more progressive", you should look up the literal definition of that word: “favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are”. Death Grips’ music essentially embodies a sound that resonates with a certain group of people, thereby influencing them. And I don't care who you are, you can't say that dalek has *resonated* with anyone in any particularly way.

This isn’t a matter such as Beach Boys vs Beatles where the former DIRECTLY resonated with the latter and the industry as a whole, this is something much more ambiguous and abstract.

What is it with all these "le contrarian" bait threads?

Its almost like its a bad thing to legitimately like Sup Forumscore

Also Exmilitary has MUCH more in common with Paul's Boutique than any single Dalek piece, but that is never brought up. Could it be that people are just muddling anything that fits the definition of "industrial hip-hop" in with eachother?

Sup Forums hates anyone with a fanbase desu

>Bit of a strawman, no?
Nope. You gave me your definition of progressive, and I gave the best fit for it.

None of this has to do with music. If your whole point was to talk sociology, you should've started off with that. But I don't think it was, because you keep changing your argument and definition.

Now with your new definition. Fusion of visual art and music to advocate for some kind of progressive change, that definition's most progressive goes to Beyonce.

More people resonated with Lemonade than all DG stuff put together. Lemonade has its own movie, aesthetic/ethos it pushes and everything.

Kanye West would be another example with MBDTF that also fits this better than DG since he has also resonated with more people than DG.

>None of this has to do with music
Widespread influence and propagation of a certain aesthetic or image has NOTHING to do with music? Right.

Since the very beginning, my argument has been that, relative to Death Grips, dalek hasn't been particularly progressive within the confines of the music industry at large. "Beyonce" is more progressive", or "Kanye more progressive" is, again, irrelevant to my assertion that, relative to Death Grips, dalek is a mere blip or footnote in the wide span of music history.

>Widespread influence and propagation of a certain aesthetic or image has NOTHING to do with music?
Nope. This has nothing to do with actual qualities of their music. Just how popular they are. This is also a flawed argument in that it invalidates artists like The Velvet Underground who, like Dalek, have more of an umbrella of influence with direct influence from them hitting only a very few people.

You have yet to drop any level of musical analysis at all this entire time. The only thing you have to go off of is what other people said rather than what is.

>Since the very beginning, my argument has been that, relative to Death Grips, dalek hasn't been particularly progressive within the confines of the music industry at large.
No, you said nobody was more progressive than Death Grips, I gave you various examples, a different one for each definition you gave for progressivism.

>dalek is a mere blip or footnote in the wide span of music history
Nope. For the sake of actual hip hop music, Dalek's "literally anything and everything can be sampled" take on hip hop took it a step further from the sampled ambitions of Beastie Boys and DJ Shadow. In today's day when people are questioning what's the true definition of hip hop with the advent of trap music, what Dalek have said about their approach towards the music is more important than ever. Death Grips in comparison just took one of the more popular aesthetics covered by Dalek's extensive sampling. Death Grips may be more popular and less of a blip, but as a meme. Not a force for change that people think, but as nothing but an internet meme.You can claim that Death Grips has more of some kind of social significance than Dalek because of their meme value, but that's not something that has to do with actual music qualities and more of a popularity contest as shown by my examples that I continue to bring up that go completely over your head.

If you don't blast their music at an absolute deafening volume then I have nothing to say to you.

The disparity between our definitions of "progressive" ultimately boil down to determinism (e.g. it is the one who streamlines and propagates a certain variety of sound who is most progressive) vs. free will, which is why we'll never see eye to eye on this issue. I'll be the one to man up and admit that.

>Death Grips may be more popular and less of a blip, but as a meme. Not a force for change that people think, but as nothing but an internet meme.
So, essentially your whole argument is rooted entirely in disparagement, with no regard whatsoever for unbiased foresight towards the future. Jesus fuck, you think you have an intellectual discussion on Sup Forums for once and then you end up getting the same rhetoric spouted in every shitpost.

where's dalek's GP?
where's dalek's NOTM?

Cool.

>b-but disparagement
I don't think you actually know what a meme is if that's what you got out of that statement. Sounds like you spend too much time posting on the internet where words like edgy and meme have become some kind of equivalence to negative statement rather than being what they actually are: descriptive qualities.

they will definitely be the pioneers of something

Absence and Abandoned Language have that ambient thing both of those records entail. They are not as straightforward and simplified though.

Those sound nothing like NOTM. So much for saying you're not in it for disparagement if you're willing to stretch the truth that much, I guess.

>they are not as straightforward and simplied though.
go to fucking bed dälek

pioneers of rapping over grimes-inspired beats

>muh dalek
I can't believe people are still doing this shit in 2017.

dalek isn't punk-inspired at all. DG is. Get over it.

>hip hop record centered around one main sound sampled in different ways while it's supplemented with abstract electronic sounds
Listen to more music, you pleb

Dalek has actually played with punk bands though.

idk how people can deny that beware is a dalek rip-off

Vocal samples, mapped to v-drums. *Female vocal samples, mapped to v-drums, contrasting with angsty masculine lyricist

You're pretentious. Why can't you just fucking concede for once?

They will surpass the Beatles. Just wait and see

>Dalek has played with punk bands
doesn't make him punk though

no serious critic would agree with you that DG is anything like dalek, but thanks for letting me know that since day one it's been one guy saying this shit

I literally don't understand people who say that dg is anything like dalek besides one song. They're more like blackie with some grimes inspiration.

>For the sake of actual hip hop music, Dalek's "literally anything and everything can be sampled" take on hip hop took it a step further from the sampled ambitions of Beastie Boys and DJ Shadow. In today's day when people are questioning what's the true definition of hip hop with the advent of trap music, what Dalek have said about their approach towards the music is more important than ever.
t. Dalek

People are going to cringe at this type of meta degeneracy in the old archives more than anything

Does anyone here realize that a meme is (traditionally) just a picture with text? I posted one before.

there are lots of deluded dgfags on here, so you're wrong

People in 30 years are going to think of us as severely cringy

their music will be hailed in the textbooks of patricianry as the greatest hip hop of all time, future hipsters will listen to them. if I ever have kids they will listen to death grips.

do you even realise that death grips are a part of that meme culture?

do you even realise that memes are one of the reasons they got popular?

good reverse psychology but this post is what I was talking about in my post that in 30 years from now people will find cringy

The second sentance, absolutely not. The 10 from Fantano and The Money Store exploded everywhere. That album isn't a meme. It's actually the best album of all time. w/e

I think there's deeper psychology into posts like this.

I think a lot of it has to do with the envy of their success. You know that you can never in time create a persona as defining as them, so you try to tarnish it but it doesn't work.