initially "realistic" fictional setting increasingly invaded by supernatural and fantasy elements

> initially "realistic" fictional setting increasingly invaded by supernatural and fantasy elements
> violence of all kinds used as drama / exploitative shock value
> focus on both character relationships and overarching themes of power and destiny
> meandering as fuck

Which one does it better, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q5jAOIrs7O8
mangasee.co/manga/?series=Berserk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_fantasy
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Berserk. Not even an argument to be made.

Berserk is much smaller in scale

Berserk is literally the best piece of fiction known to man.

Berserk is far better.

and even though berserk shows titties and rapes, they are not its selling point.

*farts*

Game of Thrones hasn't stagnated to the point Berserk has yet.

Game of Thrones, Berserk and The Witcher 3 are the medieval fantasy triumvirate.

>The Witcher 3
Why not just mention the book series which is more full and generally better you fucking manchild

>> initially "realistic" fictional setting increasingly invaded by supernatural and fantasy elements
its a made up medieval realm typical of a sword & sorcery story
stop being autistic

>"realistic" fictional setting
Dark fantasy is not equal realistic.

there's no one as based as griffith in GoT so berserk wins

The Dresden Files.

The Witcher books aren't anything special when it comes to fantasy books that being said the market for fantasy video games is far smaller so it has less competition.

No such thing called 'dark fantasy'

Berserk is not as much predictable as GoT, hell, we cant tell what happens next. GoT on the other hand is very poor in foreshadowing and creating interesting outcomes.

I don't recall berserk havy any fart jokes or COCK jokes so berserk

The problem with Berserk is that it was god tier, but went to complete shit and won't be completed in this lifetime.

Well when I think about this the book version of ASOIAF can end up the same.

fuck off, berserk is still great

Berserk hasn't been great for a long time.

7 FUCKING YEARS ON THAT FUCKING BOAT

This. Not to mention that berserk actually takes risks with its setting and does some genuinely unique shit. Meanwhile you have GoT, which is tied down to reality so normies who watch it don't get disgusted by the realization that they're watching fantasy.

The first fucking scene in game of thrones shows the white walkers you daft cunt

Oh fuck you, the last boss fight was amazing

>increasingly
What?
One scene everything is fine then next we have giant snake monsters and weird ass portals in bricks

Golden Age Berserk is better when its edited well. There's no need for pages after pages of 'muh sword to big to be a sword' wank and autistic dialogue justifying every hand movement.

Only the Golden age is comparable to Game of Thrones though.Golden Age is war/political intrigue, Black Swordsman is a revenge/demon hunter story, Conviction is a tower infiltration story, Millenium Falcon so far (I'm reading that now) is a base under seige story.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Joe Abercrombie is a poor man's George RR Martin and nothing more.

And Berserk starts with Guts fucking a demon.

Jojo had vampire nonsense in the first half of the first part, that's hardly the same. The tone was set from the start to be this weird story with vampires and energies and all that shit. I guess that part 6 is where things go completely insane but up until them it's quite okay.

"I'm going to be the biggest prankster EVER!!" Griffithsu

All of you plebs.

Best series is pic related.

if anybody doesn't agree, then he can go and eat shit.

When people say Berserk is good, do they mean the anime or the manga or the movies? Cause I have only seen the anime and it was pretty bad and the animation was laughable and characters were fairly one-dimensional. Are the manga and movies any better?

Cringe

what do you think

R E A D T H E M A N G A

> i have nothing to say so cringe

Beyblade first 3 seasons were best in any medium of entertainment.

>When people say Berserk is good, do they mean the anime or the manga or the movies?

They mean early manga+first anime's soundtrack+vidya's soundtracks

Whose face is that below Jon?

Both stablish there's supernatural stuff going on early in the series (first chapter in ASoIaF, first arc in Berserk) but then perform major story groundwork without that much outright fantasy stuff -except here and there, pic related-

I'd say it's done this way to be straight with the audience and so the major fantasy turn doesn't feel like a cheap twist later

Movies are better than the shitty slideshow original anime. But I'm going to get 300 or so Sup Forums posters jumping on me saying 'muh cgi' as if the cgi isn't better than the badly drawn slides.

Also I wouldn't agree the characters are one dimensional other than the secondary Band of the Hawk characters.

joffrey

Joffrey

Berserk is good until he forms the party. Casca is just there and the faries, loli witch, and the boy are terrible. The only decent ones are the bodyguard and the inquisitior girl. Puck just becomes far too annoying.

Jeffrey

The manga.

Thank fuck I'm not the only one prefering the movies

> Googles CGI Berserk
> Learns a new CGI Berserk series begins THIS WEEK

That has to have been the best story arc in the entire series for me. What a horrifying climax, followed by fucking Griffith coming back to the world. Insane.

Both target completely different audience. Most GOT audience is female

The movies were better. They basically cut out the fluff but unfortunately they cut out a little too much. The first film should have been longer but the second and third were fine.

HAI YOOOOO

Puck is really shit. Comic relief can be okay, but he isn't funny and he keeps on ruining the tone.

Yep. Conviction is best.

I still liked Falcon of the Millennium Empire but I gotta say Fantasia is kinda losing me.
Not that good so far.

Joffrey

Wyald isn't in either the movies or the anime right?

That makes all of it shit compared to the manga.

Completely different settings, formats and ages you dumb fuck.

>That CGI girffith in the lop left
>CGI behelit in the center

they could have fucking done their promo shit entirely with 2d but nooooooo

>It's an autist gets triggered by 3d episode

He really does. Honestly it's a problem I noticed in most anime and manga. Guess it's a culture thing.

Yes he should have been in the third film but they cut him.

manga>Films>anime

I don't even understand how you could argue the original anime is better. Is it just nostalgia?

youtube.com/watch?v=Q5jAOIrs7O8

The animation is better, the pacing is better, the musical ques are better and the general scene direction is better.

That's the dude who takes an entire freaking volume to kill, right? It's there when the series starts going downhill for me and begins enfuckening its previous pacing and focus

I honestly feel like Puck gives us a very large and obvious clue about how Faeries operate in the Berserk universe.

>setting increasingly invaded by supernatural and fantasy elements
he fucks a demon on the first page

That would've been misleading and a waste of resource on their end.

>I don't even understand how you could argue the original anime is better. Is it just nostalgia?

There is a sense of respect for what came first. The new series do some things right, but some of the CGI scenes look really bad, and some of the charm is lost.

The people that had their first contact with Berserk through the original series would have a hard time getting a boner over a CGI rehash.

That said, I think the CGI rehash does some things very right. The episode which was mostly about Griffith and his internal psychic state was a good one.

Does that mean people posting in GoT threads are girls?

The music is much better in the anime compared to the movies.
>the animation is better
half of it is ugly CGI in the movies. The anime was low budget and have still pictures which sucks

Both the anime and the movies skip a ton of story which makes it hard to care about the characters, this is especially true for the movie were everyone except Guts, Casca and Griffith have had their parts pretty much cut.

I'm still gonna say that the anime is better, both the movies and the anime are at best mediocre and doesn't even come close to the manga but the anime have a god tier soundtrack by Susumu Hirasawa atleast.

That music though.
Come on.

I fucking love the anime ost.
Except the opening and ending of course.

The problem is that Puck used to be a completely different character. He originally was there mostly to be shocked by Guts' brutality and whatnot, but he was OK, useful storytelling-wise and had his moments of awesome as well.

The shift in characterization style in the later arcs (mostly a cute -- CUTE! paradigm) really fucked him up though.

you just answered to one ;)

BLOOD
AND
GUTS
AND
BLOOD
AND
GUTS
AND
BLOD
AND
GUTS
AND

In the manga there's too much of 'here's random enemy of the week, you guys, lets spend 10 pages talking about how my big blunt sword, you guys, is too big and blunt to be a sword, you guys.

That would make sense, as they all turn to hysterics when you tell them why their show is absolute trash.

It isn't implemented very well though.

post feet pls

MY BROTHER
COME JOIN ME
IN BATTLE WE ARE STRONGER
WHEN TUDOR
WILL FALTER
100 YEARS OF WAITING WILL BE OVER

What?

It is implemented much better in the Casca and Guts love scene and when Casca tells Guts about Griffith.

I don't watch weeb shit, but I'm forced to imagine that they do it better because of how awful thrones is
>Everyone shrugs off Jon coming back from the dead

Japanese just can't into thematic consistency.

No western artist would ever consider cute scenes in a series as dark as berserk.
It is so fucking stupid to also have cute shit.

I blame the atom bombs.

It's pretty blunt. Can't really be called a sword 2bh

I guess more like a large hunk of Iron would be a better description, rigth?

Maybe its just the translation I'm reading, but someone says 'you guys' almost every page.

You are reading the dark horse translation right?
Please user.

Yes there is. Its when you mix horror with fantasy.

>that smiling cgi horse

>> initially "realistic" fictional setting increasingly invaded by supernatural and fantasy elements
The first chapter in the manga has supernatural fantasy elements, what are you talking.

Contrast can be much more powerful than consistency; but since it's harder to do right, rationalizing the latter as the "right" way becomes very convenient

If GoT writers weren't terrified to lose the serious grimdark image and actually tried any levity at all beyond dick jokes they may even be able to make us care about a character's death for once

Horses have this weird thing in berserk were they sort of match the riders expression. just look at that intense stare.

Also look here.

I thought Puck was a female for a long time and had hardons.

Naha nigga.
There should be no cute scene in berserk.
It just makes no sense.

that is something only the japanese seem to like. And it is inherently stupid.

>The first chapter in the manga has supernatural fantasy elements
So does first chapter in GoT

His writing after the First Law has declined.

I'm reading it on Mangafox, I saved as I was reading.

I originally intended to buy it on my Kindle, but it wasn't there.

Does the dark horse translation have characters saying 'you guys' incessantly?

I would be so pissed if Griffith doesn't die.

>Mangafox
How can you stand that?

Try this link. Please. For me
mangasee.co/manga/?series=Berserk

Except cgi griffith is making a grimacing pucker face and not a goofy low lipped smile

He is basically a different person at this point.
I find it hard to care about this Griffith.
The guy who sacrificed everyone died and that is just an emotionless husk.

Based Rickert

>mangasee.co/manga/?series=Berserk
Is this the dark horse translation?

I'll have to go back to mangafox to check which chapter I'm up to. Thanks user.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_fantasy