>mediafire.com/download/4n28zkjw0zgmdj9/ASEM RECTO V30 L2.wav

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y6rb0ShFNio
youtube.com/watch?v=nsZ_1mPOuyk
m.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ClRha6BPo
clyp.it/y2d53lpn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How long has everyone been playing for? Whats your best lick?
15 years more on than off
Master of puppets up to solo 2 (currently learning)

fuck off with all that queer shit

post guitars you want to FUCK fa/gg/ots

Posting my recent relapse into GAS

>chink mxr and boss
C'mon, bro.

redpill me on active pickups

I took you 15 years to learn master of puppets?
Jesus christ you're fucking useless.

Garbage unless you plan on playing metal and only metal forever.

Get passive pickups, man. They're way more versatile, don't require batteries, sound better clean in general, etc.

New guitar today! One I've wanted for a while. Got it for a stupidly low price from guitar center. Really good condition though it seems like they put 9s on it but its set up for something bigger. There seems to be quite a bit of space between the strings and the nut. if I post a pic do you guys think you could ballpark a gauge to try?

pretty nice desu

How do I stop fucking up my wrists playing bass? I do my best to keep them straight and do warmups but I consistently get injured when I go through periods of playing every day consistently, even when it's just ~30 minutes.

At what point did you y'all went through the "i suck at guitar" phase?

Put a "eat fuk" sticker on it and play Frayed Ends of Sanity

Everyday m8

But I actually do suck at guitar

the first year or so

then i realized i was actually much better than everyone else I jammed with

then they all quit playing and I kept going

I usually size my strings to my playing style/preference and then tuning. So I like 9's for E standard and drop D, 10's for D Standard, 11's for C standard. And mix and match for odd tunings. What gauge do you like to play?

I posted some instructions a few days ago on how to set up a guitar. That's all it sounds like it needs. Lower the bridge to where it's comfortable but not buzzing. Tune it how you like. From there if it starts buzzing, you may need to tension/untension the truss rod. Then tune again. Might take a few iterations to get it just right. I can provide more detail if you want, but that's the basic process for a fixed-bridge guitar that's set up for different strings. More steps required if there's a bow or twist in the neck.

Juss b urselff bruh

At least he has parents that care enough to celebrate his birthday..

Do I have to reslot my guitar's nut if I'm going from 11-52 to 12-56? and would a nut slotted for 12-56 work fine if I use 11s again? just in case decide to go back to 11s.

Every time I try to learn a solo by a competent guitarist.

>this is the 20th year since I shat you out of my vagoogoo
>this is your reminder that in 20 years you haven't made any friends who care about you or accomplished anything except vacating my snatch

fluences are the only good active's

I think are bass pickups.

I really like actives for bass, gives you more tonal control and it's just cleaner compared to passive in general.

I wouldn't think so. I've got 11's on a 1980 Peavey T-60. Original nickel (I think) nut, no need to regroove for me. Also put a .053 and a .046 in the E and A string positions of a '77 Les Paul. Also no need to modify the nut.

When I started college. Before that, I'd been playing for a few years and was playing lead in a death metal band that built up quite of a bit of a following in my local scene. It was a "big fish in a small pond" kind of situation. Then when I started university I got invited to a jam session by some of the jazz studies majors and got my ass absolutely handed to me. So I got serious about theory and got really into be bop and fusion, and I feel like my efforts are finally starting to pay off after a few years.

(me)
I guess what I'm saying is the stock grooves in the nut can usually handle a wide range of string gauges. .004 inches isn't a big number.

I play usually on 10s and like em well enough, more then the 9s. My plan with this guitar was to set it up for lower tunning so i was planing on trying 11s or 12s. The guitarist for Amon Amarth uses baritone strings on a standard explorer so i was thinking about giving that a shot. Heres as good a picture as I could get of the space. I am getting some fret buzz though and the strings just feel waaay to loose. I really think they just threw some 9s on this. It was filthy when i got it and still had the outline of an iron cross sticker. Ive got 10s, 11s and 13s whatcha think?

>I used to jack my tiny dick in a meal band that no one cared about
>now I jack my tiny dick in a jazz fusion outfit no one cares about
yea you're really goin' places breh

what's a good way to strum on a spanish guitar with your fingers?

I don't have any nails though and nor do I want to look like a freak and grow them

you're this fucking gaylord aren't you

I don't play in a fusion band, the jazz-oriented stuff is more of a personal pursuit.

Yep.

What about going back though, won't it cause instability?
Only from 12s to 11s though, nothing really big like 12s to 9s

Kind of hard to do without the nails, desu. It seems like the strumming would sound really dull if you hit the strings with the soft tips of your fingers.

>I'll have you know I jack my tiny dick all by myself!
What an accomplishment, how proud are your parents right now?

I use the one string gauge per whole note down (or up, I guess) rule of thumb. So if you would typically set a guitar up in E standard with 10's, count up from there. There's no harm in starting with baritone strings, although standard baritones are 14's, I think (I just got a cheap Gretsch baritone, so I'm new to that world. But it has 14-68). Pretty big. And standard bari is B-B I think. I use A-A. In the long run, strings are cheap, so maybe work progressively heavier, setting the guitar up each time for the heavier gauge, until you find what you like.

Too many words to say, don't really know.

what's a way to do it with short nails then?

I guess I don't really know. Wouldn't think so. There's a good bit of tension on the string, and so it friction-fits against the nut pretty solidly. You're picking on the far end of the guitar from the nut, so I think there's little to no horizontal force applied to the nut other than just string vibration. I'd think that it would seat just fine and not move laterally. But I don't know, never really thought about it. If you're staying in the same range of string tension force (same pitch), I don't think it would matter.

Well, you can probably do the strumming with short nails, just look up a YT video on various strumming patterns in flamenco and work them up to speed. You just might not be able to do some of the single-note embellishments or leads without longer nails.

You mean chord strumming? The way I do it is use the top of my nails with my middle and ring finger on downstrokes and the top of the thumbnail on upstrokes. For single notes there's not much else you can do besides use soft fingertips. I like that sound though.

(me)

If you're doing some really heavy bends in the 1-3 fret range, it might wiggle a little. But again, we're talking about a few thousandths of an inch on a vibrating body that's 25+/- inches in vibration length. In my experience tuning instability is more a product of poorly seated strings at the tuning key and not at the nut.

Is the price jump from Fender Spic strat and Burger strat worth it at all?

So guys I'm building a jam room in my house.
I dont know much about amps and stuff, mainly a drummer.
Currently have a big drumkit, a strat, a les paul, a p-bass and an 80w bass amp.
I'm wondering, what kind of amps and stuff I need now to pair with those guitars to be heard over the drums? Combo or stack? Small watt head on a cab?
Most likely wont let people borrow them for gigs so that does not matter, and the room is fairly small. Just want to know what kind of wattage I'd need for the amps and PA and what to go for.

Not necessarily. I think it is a model by model, person by person sorta thing.

How much do you value one fret? Probably no, if you're comparing buying new to new. But new jap or mexi vs used American, i think you can find a good deal. Or used mexi/jap vs used American, still probably could. Might also consider G&L, especially mid-90's. I got two of them in the $7-800 range. Big jump over import strat but not as big a jump as buying new American. Also, G&L strats are more Leo Fender strats than Fender strats are. Especially in the early/mid 90s.

I think i might just throw 10s on it and see how it feels. I appreciate the insight mate, Cheers!

No problem, congrats on the new guitar!

You're a cock, everyone has different milestones

So this is probably a retardedly obvious question but what exactly is a key?

I just started learning and one of the things I've looked up is the minor pentatonic scale and everywhere the instructor teaches the E minor pentatonic scale but what does that mean?

Could you play a minor pentatonic scale in other keys then what would be the difference?

Nah, I don't think so. If you're aiming for a really high-end instrument then maybe consider something from Fender's Custom Shop but I've played a lot of MIM Strats and they've all felt great (played well, solid construction) and what they lack in any specific tonal characteristic can be made up for with a string gauge adjustment, pickup, swap, tune-up, etc.

If you're looking at doing some serious modification, though, maybe look into something US-made. Fender's Deluxe Strats come standard with Wilkinson tremolos and noiseless pickups which is pretty nice set of upgrades from the MIM stuff. Pretty sure Guthrie Govan recorded some leads on Steve Wilson's albums with a Deluxe Strat.

Small room is hard to PA properly. On the guitars: If you're looking for gain provided by the amp, a low-wattage amp requires less power (volume) to "break up" if you're using the amp gain channel. If you're using pedals for gain. Roland JC-120 212 combo and call it a day. Loud, extremely clean, accepts pedals really well, and not very expensive especially used.

For vox...that's really hard in a small room to get volume without feedback. My room is 18x30 and it's hard to control feedback.

Proof theoryshitters are gaylords:

all 4 of these faggot scales/modes with gay ass names are the EXACT SAME THING
What does this mean you ask?
Its means everything on guitar is THE SAME THING, just with retarded names and moved around the neck with different "root" notes, yet all of the SCALE SHAPES don't change.
Theoryshitters will NEVER recover this is the ultimate blow to your shit

>Could you play a minor pentatonic scale in other keys then what would be the difference?
scales are a set of intervals between notes

you can start on any note and play the next note at the appropriate interval

each starting note is a different key

(me)

Fender amps work really well as low-wattage amps with lots of volume. No suggestions on what to get though, sorry.

Okay that makes sense thank you

>My room is 18x30 and it's hard to control feedback

Damn, my room is smaller than that(10x20). I've never really had problems with feedback when jamming though, unless the dumbass is pointing the mic at the speakers.

Probably use pedals for gain so it does not have to be turned up to 11. I've checked out the RC-120 and I was not really that impressed with it apart from the stereo feature, it sure is loud though.
I was thinking a marshall for humbucker guitars and a fender for single coils, does not have to be tube.

Is it beneficial to practice for longer than 2 hours in a single sitting.

yes

Well, yeah, modes are just a way to organize different permutations of a given set of notes. They are useful as a) an organizational tool for moving a particular scale around the fretboard and b) indicating specific characteristics (what we might call "moods") of a melody. For example, though they are technically the same scale, the relative starting points, and intervalic relationships, between C major and D Dorian produce different color tones and moods when played over the same chord. Modes also make useful guidelines for identifying which permutations of a scale will work best when played over a chord depending on its diatonic function in a given key.

True...My previous jam spaces were a smallish bedroom when I was a kid, and a 12x14 loft. I've got huge Sunn PA speakers that take up a lot of space, and it's been hard to position them in such a way that they can be both heard and not in the line of a mic. Personal experience, so discount it if you want. Maybe you should....

Live sounds better when you can run as much as possible through the PA and rely as little as possible on the amps for volume. So if you're looking to build out a small room, small amps, put mics in front of them, spend your effort on a PA.

JC-120 is a superb stereo chorus amp. It is a bit loud though. There are other Rolands that are smaller...JC77, JC40. Smaller amps, similar head, less watts and maybe more manageable for you.

Modes are really only useful for memorizing scale shapes because most guitarists refuse to learn how to read music for some reason.

Have you ever tried practicing for a ridiculously long amount of time?
ex: Steve vais workout

Ideally you should practice for ~45 minutes at a time with at least a 15 minute break between sessions. You're gonna have difficulty maintaining focus for 2 hours straight and the risk of injuring increases

When I say huge Sunn speakers, it's just a pair of speakers. A bit bigger in footprint than similar 212 JBL's. 24x30 maybe. But it's a lot of real estate in a small practice space.

Fair point about guitar players not learning to read music, but I do also think they are useful for improvisation. It's helpful to have some sense of "where things go" (or even how to break out of harmonic conventions) if you're essentially composing on the spot.

I have an electronic kit I could run though the PA so then that could keep the overall volume at a reasonable level. Electronic kits sound good plugged straight into the mixer, could you just run a line out from the guitar amp instead of using a mic?

The last band I was in the singer could stand anywhere without causing feedback but would occasionally drop his hand down when standing beside a speaker and absolutely murder us.
Yeah the smaller sized speakers would be the best for a small space.

Nice quads.
I had three. One when I was 1-2 years into classical guitar at around 10-11 years old, one when I was 17 and tried to play lead guitar in metal instead of rhythm, and one that started when I graduated and still isn't over (I am 25 now) as a result of trying to branch out into more genres but lacking the chops, and not being around worse guitar players to make me feel superior.
I've made my peace with not being the best player ever, I just try to learn new stuff and focus on improving my ears (I play from the head, not the heart and I want to change that). Just sucks when I listen to Scenes From A Memory and think "I would love to play this all the way through" but then I realize I can't do those sixteenth triplet runs.

i think you mean eet

Definitely run the drum kit through the PA if you can. You can run amps for guitar/bass directly to the board via direct boxes. Don't know exactly which ones to recommend. Behringer has a few. So does MXR. Then for vocals, an EQ (31 ban if possible) and a compressor (BBE MaxCom if possible) can help control peaks and pops and feedback..

So /gg/ i'm working on learning Self Control by Frank Ocean by ear.

So far i've gotten what i presume to be the chord progression down (Am7 > Fm7 > Bm7 > E7) but i still have some blank spots to fill in, like the start of the song (after the pitch shifted intro and before the lyrics). From what i've been discussing with others it seems like they believe it's a Gmaj7, but all the little trills and hammer ons being played seems impossible for it to start off that way (unless i'm dumb and there's a variation of the chord that would allow for it). It sounds close enough to fit though.

>Frank Ocean
>Not Gambino
>Not Chance

nice b8

you're both wrong

play the C major scale over a C major chord
then, play C lydian over a C major chord

you'll immediately understand why modes are important

if you get into the mindset of "hurrd durr E minor/B phrygian are the SAME NOTES!, etc etc" you'll never understand these concepts and your soloing will always be pleb shit

>nigger posting
lmao@ yuh whole life faŠ¼

I'm back again, still trying to figure out how to recreate the sounds starting at 2:45

youtube.com/watch?v=Y6rb0ShFNio

Can anyone tell me what the fuck is going on with the feedback here?

If you're going to ridicule someone at least make it more clear what you're ridiculing.
Are you calling me a nigger or are you calling drake a nigger?

that's going to give me nightmares, thanks

my best guess is that he's singing into his guitar pickups. that or a terribly shitty mic that's too close to the PA

>my best guess is that he's singing into his guitar pickups
I guess you're probably right.

I used to just think it was feedback + him running a screwdriver or something metallic up and down the neck while using the tremolo arm but I couldn't come close to recreating that.

I guess it's a human voice though.

Bumping before I go to bed so this shit doesn't die. See you lads in the morning

Is it actually worth the extra money from Mexican Fender to American Fender ?

Go and play a couple models of each, then decide which you like better.
The one American standard Strat I played so far actually sounded and felt worse than the two MIMs I tried.

What headphones do you use for practice? My current Sennheiser HD 419 I find great, they're comfortable on my ears & play my music & game audio nicely, but when I plug them in my amp they sound pretty shit, especially compared to the amp itself.

I've heard from people that you have more chances of finding the one with MIA true or false ?

what did he mean by this

Just your average Jazzmaster player here, trying to find a good Marshall amp for MBV cover s

when I run out of practice

The one

Is that dude, cant tell any more

It's a jazzmaster.

ran* idjit

what artists or bass players do i listen to if i want to become a better bass player

Jaco Pastorius
youtube.com/watch?v=nsZ_1mPOuyk

Right now.
Except I really do suck.
Pretty much all I can play are open chords and power chords. I'm a power chord machine though.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on Buckethead? What's his endgame? He's unanimously considered to be a fantastic player, but is his music any good? What does his face look like? Is he actually insane?

He has a bucket on his head.

Both his parents passed away in recent years and he was having health issues. He makes an album every week because of this. Thats what I heard anyway

A friend told me back in HS that he was a chicken farmer and his chicken coop burnt down with him in it, leaving him scarred.
From that day forward he donned the mask to cover his face and the hat to remember all his chicken that died in the fire.

Nobody cared who he was until he put on the mask.

Every single one of you faggots needs to watch this and learn to fucking play

m.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ClRha6BPo

Sup /gg/ fags i tried to produce some latin, tell me if i did well
clyp.it/y2d53lpn

The chickens died on the fire thats on the KFC's oven?