/thread

also
>2017
>people still think SoaD were ever nu metal

>using Wikipedia as an authoritative source

I've seen this described as nu-metal

fine, "Alt Metal". the only difference is the vocal style

SOAD were nu metal's defining act

I always thought numetal was like the groups that half-assed tried to combine metal with hip hop. When I think numetal I think of Korn or HED PE

Mudvayne

It's all nu-metal. Stop thinking of genres as lines drawn on the ground you can't step over.

Is tool progressive nu-metal?

Yes.

youtube.com/watch?v=T4nIxQF7bOY

Easy and accepted Nu-Metal definition.

- If the act attempts to combine a rock genre (in Nu-Metal's case, typically the metal and industrial genres) with Hip-Hop and Hip-Hop techniques (rapping, sampling, DJing), it's Nu-Metal.

early korn, slipknot, and limp bizkit have their merits

tool is to nu-metal what the stooges are to punk

but death grips and liturgy don't sound like any other nu metal

This was my understanding but apparently Sup Forums thinks nu-metal is everything from the 2000's that was harder than Jon Mayer.

I rather like Hed (p.e.). I'm not sure I like your tone.

SOAD and Deftones are the closest I could think of that come close to "patrician nu-metal".

I'm not a snob at all. They're kinda corny but I'll still listen to them. I remember finding them because Swan Dive was on the Dracula 2000 soundtrack. Might be the first place I heard Linkin Park too desu.

this.

Korn didn't rap and they're absolutely nu-metal

The Snot album is great.

Then Faith No More predates nu-metal by a decade.

They did that scat vocals

Stumbling across this thread at an interesting time. I listened to Toxicity a good bit in high school but never bothered with anything prior, and sort of moved on past their sound as I got older.

For whatever reason I was feeling nostalgic and hopped around Toxicity just last week, followed by some of their other albums "for kicks".

While they're not at all what I'd consider myself a fan of, today, I have to hand it to Mesmerize (and Hypnotize, to a lesser extent) for being infectious and a whole lot of fun.

Some of the riffs are super generic, and a good chunk of the lyrics make me feel like I should be raising a spork in the air, but damn if it hasn't made the morning shifts breeze by.

Deftones and I would argue Slipknot on the merits of Volume 3: The Subliminal Verse alone.

scat vocals aren't rap vocals

Reveille

Everything Limp Bizkit. They owned the genre. The epitome of everything wonderful about nu metal.

Also early sevendust is pretty alright

m.youtube.com/watch?v=SMx2dFjXpJ0
idc what anyone says this is a tune

S/t and iowa are totally noteworthy as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=1ye_TNP-h_g

These guys were posted constantly a few years ago, they're the only metal band anyone here ever liked.

SOAD fucking suck, serj is ugly as shit and sounds like a fucking whiny fucking goat

i don't understand what people like about this "band"

KYS

I'd say Deftones, early Mudvayne & SOAD. I wouldn't lump Tool into nu metal. Machine Head did some Nu metalish albums that weren't bad also... but Rob Flynn is a fucking douche.

RATM was great, but I wouldn't really call them nu metal either.

Slipknot has actually stood the test of time. Disturbed to a much lesser extent.

I loved KoRn and Limp Bizkit in high school. I can't listen to more than 30 seconds before I start cringing and have to turn it off.

Death Grips

is this a new pasta

System of a Down syndrome is NOT metal.