Want to get a motorbike because cheap fuel and free parking in my city

Want to get a motorbike because cheap fuel and free parking in my city.

Partner says she'll probably leave me if I start riding a motorbike.

Motor/b/ro's of Sup Forums, is she being ridiculous or am I?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=T26rPJDr-hM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

She is obviously.ditch that bitch get yourself a bike and rake in the snatch.

It's settled then. The wife goes. :')

How about you start wearing the pants in the relationship, you dumb faggot.

Fuck that bitch . If a girl would leave yoh for any reasom like that shes not qorth having to begin with you beta fucknut.
Get dat bike.
Bikes > women
Anyway

bike is dangerous, there is no protection what so ever i know a few mates who have been riding safely and then some fuckface went through a red light or didnt see him on the road , etc etc. injuries. also getting into gear, carrying helmet, weather. fuck that man. your partner would be uncertain that you come home safe. not worth it

Kek do any of you ride? Reading some posts other riders have put up. Seems to be a lot of "Be aware. Know your limits. Wear good gear"

I'd love to hear what other riders have to say.

You're an adult. I'm sure that you were making adult decisions before you were with her. If you want to ride a bike, then fucking ride a bike. I'm positive you've said no to something that she does but she still does it, all fucking women are like that.

> (OP)
>bike is dangerous, there is no protection what so ever i know a few mates who have been riding safely and then some fuckface went through a red light or didnt see him on the road , etc etc. injuries. also getting into gear, carrying helmet, weather. fuck that man. your partner would be uncertain that you come home safe. not worth it

More people die on motorcycles than skydiving, I really wish you could daily drive one without having to worry

I really wonder what the numbers are when you look at the demographics, like you always here of people's buddy getting hit but you never hear about the buddy who decided to do a whoolie and crack his skull on the pavement

This is my biggest concern. I've been driving my car for a few years now. Never had an accident, but there have been some fuck heads who have almost pulled me into one because they weren't paying attention/being a fuck head. Surely after I start riding I would figure out where to sit on the road, etc, etc.

Unsure of the statistics but pretty obvious if you get into any collision it's going to be worse for the rider almost every time.

kek

How did your mates turn out after their crashes?

I commute on a sv650s. I crashed 3 weeks ago at about 40mph from braking on random gravel. Had no time to react. Was wearing jeans. Lost my job

0/10, would not recommend.

Depending on the crash, bruises to cracked/broken bones to being paralyzed. The first year is always the most dangerous, the majority of learners overestimate their skills and crash.

>more deaths with motorcycles than skydivers
>more people riding motorcycles than skydiving
>therefore dangerous
go figure

When I started driving I made sure that I never pushed the limit. I get a hard-on when it comes to safety and caution with any vehicle.

That sucks. How long were you riding before that crash?

60% of the time it works every time

she's just worried about you, do your best to talk to her about it and promise you'll behave and be safe but there is a real chance this will come down to what do you want more if she feels strongly enough about it.

I just looked at a good long list of statistics.
It was pretty interesting, 80 percent Supersport bike riders wear helmets compared to only 51 percent of cruiser riders or tourers.
From what I can tell the people most likely to have a fatal crash is middle aged to elderly men who drive large (1400cc+) cruisers or tourers who don't wear helmets

That thing is 645 cc right? I'd want to ride something way smaller than that. Max 250 cc to start with

>When I started driving I made sure that I never pushed the limit. I get a hard-on when it comes to safety and caution with any vehicle.

Much more complicated on a bike mate. While you're watching your speed you have to be scanning ahead, not focusing on a paticular spot, watching for oil, stones, holes in the road, leaning and watching behind you. Think of driving a car, but a lot harder and if you mess up you're likely to seriously injure yourself. Bang your knee too hard, have fun with a constant pain every day for the rest of your life, even worse in the winter.

this, wear a helmet and protective gear and buy a middle weight bike, enough power to get you out of trouble but nothing highly strung or difficult to handle and above all watch out for other drivers and never just assume they've seen you and you should be fine, but there is always a chance i'll admit that.

Send us some links mate

Fuck her. Get the bike.

Also more dead riding bikes than uni cycle riding. Believe it or not

Sorry I meant percentage wise, there's only 21 deaths from 3 million jump per year. That's a 0.0007% chance of dying from a skydive compared to the 8 million motorcycles owned in the US and 3000 motorcycle fatal accidents a year

>Motor/b/ro's of Sup Forums, is she being ridiculous or am I?
You are.
Being on a motorcycle means you're either retired and will accept death, or you're fucking stupid.

You do you. Don't let anyone get in the way of what you want to do.
You'll probably end up being a stupid fucking faggot and killing yourself on it, but your organs will go to people who actually deserve it.

So get the bike, if she leaves then it's for the best. Do what you want. Don't let her stop you from doing you.

she is obviously worried, but to a point where she threatens to leave you, just so you don't do it. She'll need more time. If you still do it, don't buy a suicide machine but a regular one. Same benefits and you're not prone to race everybody else.

Fuck her.

Then go ahead with the motorcycle thing. Then let her leave if she wants.

yep. thats how it works

Absolutely. It's nowhere near the same thing but I skated for awhile and you pretty much had to worry about the same sort of things. Except on a bike you don't have as much time to react I'm sure.

Do you ride? Do you regret/love riding?

Speaking from experience?

If I go ahead with it I'm getting something renowned for being great for beginners

I'M NOT GAY thanks for the advice

A lot of anons saying I should follow my dick and go for it. Appreciate the input

Started riding in 05/2014. I had 17000 miles.
Scraped left knee down into fat. I am extremely lucky. Did not need surgery. Almost healed now.

It disappeared from under me. No warning. Please wear armor. You can't predict a crash. One bullshit circumstance can change your life.

Really dumb question. Is riding a bicycle comparable or similar in the slightest to riding a motorcycle?

Tough position you're in because motorcycles are fucking awesome.

Fortunately, my girlfriend likes riding on the back of my street triple. I told her that even if she didn't like me riding that she would have to get used to it or leave me because motorcycles have been a part of my life longer than she has.

I say call her bluff OP.

Absolutely not.

>Speaking from experience?
Yes.
A disposition to put yourself at incredibly great risk for very serious bodily harm to be cool means that you're fucking stupid
t. I'm a paramedic, I have picked up feet from the highway.
>was pretty fucking metal though.

I've got a Daytona R (2014) and I fucking love it. No girlfriend though..

For a motorsport enthusiast, there is nothing better than riding a motorcycle. I commute daily on my 600cc SuperSport, so i get to do my hobby TWICE PER DAY. Somedays when you feel down or sick, you dont want to get out of bed, but at least you get to go for a ride.

As far as getting hurt or dying, id much rather die young doing what i love, than die old in a bed. After a certain point, if you ride at 80%, then the only thing you have to worry about is other people doing something stupid, either way its your fault for not anticipating the stupid.

It is if you actually ride a road bike. A bmx bike you ride on your way to the store is way scarier because you can't keep up with traffic.

yes it is, take the engine out of the equation how they behave and how your inputs affect the machine are very similar.

Shes right, iam a biker myself, it is very dangerouse. Women have instinct for that.

Maby get a Quad instead.

Heres my ride.

Fuck that. You'll get tired of that 250 in no time. Go for a 500. Honda cbx 500 would be a great first bike.

seems legit. unless i do it for a living, what are the odds that im not going to get fucked up being a retard and riding one to and from work

>As far as getting hurt or dying, id much rather die young doing what i love

It's not dying young, it's becoming paralyzed from the neck down young because the asshole family they contacted said ZOMG SAVE HIM instead of letting you suffocate whilst unconscious they save you and you can't even kill yourself if you want to.

It's not comparable. Out accelerating Lamborghinis while the ground around you is replaced incomprehensibly is something completely different.

>If I go ahead with it I'm getting something renowned for being great for beginners
It just shouldn't look like a racing machine. You know, better one with a big windshield and those bags on the back. And then tell her that you don't plan to race everywhere. Tell her its for cost benefits. If she still does not agree ask er what her fucking problem is.
>Why are you doing this?
>Don't you trust me?
>Are you looking for a reason to leave?

OP I have thousands of miles under my belt, your partner's worry is not unwarranted.

Get a STARTER bike, my god the number of faggots that start on a 600 because people say "I started out on a 600 and I was fine". That's great but generally a 250cc is fine, even up to 400cc is ok. I did 32,000 miles on a GN250 before I bought a bigger bike and I still landed up getting taken down by someone doing an illegal U turn, indicated left, swung into a side road then floored it back out into traffic; got a couple scars from it. Another time some guy crossed the centre line and tried to hit me because "fuck bikers". I chased him down and eventually got in a good right hook when he stopped but another few inches he'd of hit me.

People are ASSHOLES, be careful. Take lessons, go to a track session with proper teachers that will give you tips to ride better. I was a good car driver, several trophies from rally driving and still took lessons to improve myself because I wasn't above it.

GL OP. shiny side up and all that.

I started with a 250. its perfect to begin with but after a year you want a bigger one. GUARANTEED. Buy one you can sell easly after a year.

>Being on a motorcycle means you're either retired and will accept death, or you're fucking stupid

Be more of a pussy.

It's so odd riding a BMX, like only kids can efficiently ride them because they're so disproportionate

Yes. But it's a v twin. Slower than most 600cc bikes. Fun to ride, and cheap. But brakes, suspension, build/finish quality are lacking.

7/10, would halfheartedly recommend

You gonna die very easy when you ride a bike, dont do it OP.

She loves you and doesnt want that you hurt yourself.

Listen to her, iam a biker.

would take a motorbike over keeping a shitty controlling girlfriend anyday. I ride my bike to work everyday and actually look forward to it. go offroading with a bunch of friends almost every weekend. if you ride defensively and wear gear you will be fine. get yourself a nice bike Sup Forumsro

Mate, i dont ride slow enough for that to be a problem. Im one of those assholes that ride flat out everywhere. Ive also made it clear to my family that if i were to be in such a situation, that i need to be dealt with, nobody should have to live like that.

Yeah, I know it's great, BUT have you ever rode a 15 Lb bicycle down a mountain at 45mph?
youtube.com/watch?v=T26rPJDr-hM

I know, I know it's 53 mph, but after having done both at the same speed there's something much scarier about being on a bicycle. Not to mention you look like a faggot so people try to hit you because it's funny.
>that's you open carry onna bike.

Bikes and motorbikes operate on the same principles, so yeah they're comparable considering you need to know how to ride one to ride the other

Have you even been on a motorcycle?

I love Dnepr it makes you feel tough and cool.

>" iam a biker. "
thats a ural with a sidecar...

Nice! Took my street triple to Colorado this past summer. Rode up to the top of Pike's Peak. I'm from Texas so it was quite the ride. Non riders will never understand the appeal. Or they will but deny themselves the joy because of the risk.

I'm going to side with yeah nah.

You can pick up a pedal bike easy, jump it and pull it around with your weight. 400 pounds of bike is not the same.

you are fucking retarded, no they are not, you got the back brake on you right foot pedal, your right hand operates the gas and front brake, your left hand operates the clutch, you left foot changes gears, you have turn signals and can go 200 miles/h. ITS LIKE RIDING A BICYCLE

Hello OP, My Wife, and her parents were so against me having a bike before we got married. They pressured me into selling it.

I caved, only because the loan repayments were high (brand new Triumph Daytona 675 in 2006), and her financial aspect of the argument was inarguable.

Fast forward 6 years, and she says Dudes on bikes look hot, and she wishes I had a bike. Mfw, female logic, etc...

Anyway, get rid of the bike, then secretly save for a new one. When she settles down, pay cash for a new bike. It's only temporary - they grow out of this pansy shit.

Also, the other niggah above was correct. Get a medium bike, like a 600 at least. Having authorative power gets you out of as much shit as good brakes can... and keep your eyes open.

Sage advice: "the indicator blinking on a car means only one thing - the bulb works".

As an avid rider of dirtbikes, and bicycles (I don't have a sport bike but I've ridden them because I'm not a fag) dirtbikes handle a lot like road bikes. As for a 500lb sport bike not so much, it has it's own center of gravity and gyroscopic forces when it's moving.

So your answer to my question was no, aka you don't know what the fuck you are talking about when it comes to motorcycles. Gotcha. Carry on user.

Did you continue to ride after that incident?

I'm more curious/concerned about what other riders have experienced before I make up my mind.

You have any pics of you doing something radbadstical?

I don't want to be cool. I want start riding because
a) It would be hella fun
b) Save hella money on fuel and free parking

Just park it outside some cool dive-bars and slump up against it nonchalantly, the bitches will come

Sweet fucking sexy shit! How hard is it riding with a sidecar?

I'm not sure, I want to be a pussy for a while and ride a glorified whopee cushion on wheels till I get my bearings

Thanks for the advice. Absolutely going to follow everything you said if/when I go through with it. I'm not afraid to be called a faggot, lost that fear back in high school.

She always exaggerates danger. My car was overheating a bit because I forgot to put coolant into it and she thought the car was going to explode and kill us both.

"Get a quad" They're more dangerous than bikes..

Well that's prettymuch right. So long as you're aware of the risks and understand that no matter how "within your limits" you stay, an idiot driver could easily cause you to wreck. If you accept that and still want to ride I say go for it and don't let anybody stop you.

2nd'd. Only thing worse is a Trike. Avoid all but 2 wheels - they're vicious.

yes i own several, 2 stroke junkie.

that shit is amazing

I can t even understand why she doesn t want you to ride one
From where i m from it s a plus for women

i never said it was just like riding a bicycle, perhaps you should read what i wrote once more.

dnepr

This is exactly what I'm thinking. Anyway, after a year of riding a 250, should know for sure if it's something I want to get stuck into properly

Sounds good, but maybe not a great starter bike?

>Sage advice: "the indicator blinking on a car means only one thing - the bulb works".

Absolutely. Learnt that just from driving cars.

A 600 at least? I'm not sure. The only bike I've ever been on was a pocket rocket when I was a teenager.

I know 0 people who regularly ride that haven't been in some accident that caused injuries. And almost every single one of them were not their fault. That's just the inherent risk of riding. It's much safer to just get a very cheap car.

I rode for two years on a cheap ninja 250 cause poorfag. For commuting it's great. BUT depending on where you live, it's impossible to drive it in below 45 degree whether. It eventually wasn't 'profitable' to own a bike because you still need another vehicle. Just consider your whether wear u live. But weekend riding with friends was really awesome

so you failed to understand what i wrote then you actually managed to quote and berate a man who actually agreed with you over me.

you are the dumbest man on 4 chan at this very moment.

Wait who the fuck are you talking to? I responded to that faggot and you say I don't ride bikes. I'm about 30 feet from my daily 2 wheeler so you can kindly get fucked.

she obviously loves him.

I heard this argument all the time when I was looking at bikes. I thought to myself that I just want to ride and a 250 will be good enough and I would never upgrade. After about 6 months, I wanted to go bigger. The nice thing is that its easy to sell a 250. I now have a Honda CB500 that I love. I could probably still go bigger, but its a nice compromise. End of the day, I do not regret starting in a 250 and still think it was the right choice.

714405339 here
My bike is fucked. All controls on left side are destroyed. Handlebars bent past steering lock into gas tank. Not sure what I'll do, but I will definitely continue to ride... Just not while wearing jeans.

Absolutely get a 600. A lesser bike needs to scream to pull you out of the shit. Screaming a bike takes a little forethought and preparation. A 600 will pull from most of the rev range. 2 stroke junkies know (and cherish) the small engine game. You need a bigger bike to avoid this "game".

Because you're intelligent, you'll exercise self control and not be a dick, right? Yes, a 600 can go fast, but only if you tell it to.

No it doesn't, you need only apply throttle to get out of the shit when learning; keeps the back hooked up on the black stuff. If you require mad acceleration to avoid something you've misjudged something badly.

Till you've learned throttle control you're probably going to tell it the wrong things.

Sv650 was my first bike. It's not too fast. Will not wheelie unless you try to, but fast enough for highway. Just don't spend $4500 on a nice 2008 fully faired one like I did because you will fuck it up, almost guaranteed

Hey OP, as a motorcyclist I would like to tell you that you really won't save that much more money by owning a motorcycle.

1) You will have to replace tires more frequently. You might be able to get about 6-7k miles out of a rear tire.

2) Maintenance cost is higher across the board unless you learn to do a lot of it yourself. Are you mechanically inclined?

The idea that motorcycles are more economical is actual kind of a myth. Yes, they are more economical than some vehicles. Compared to a cheap, basic commuter car; not so much. Parking is easier though, that's for sure.

I'm assuming you're talking 45 F, because 45 C would mean the road is almost melting. I live in Queensland, the coldest it get's is like 14 C (57.2 F) so that should be fine. We get some bad storms here but otherwise the weather is pretty good.

How many do you know and how many had injuries that caused major discomfort?

That's good to hear. Seems like most people who say "Start with a >500! You need the speed!" are adrenaline junkies or some shit.

Fuck yeah dude. Do you have any pics of your bike pre and post crash?

50% of people are saying to start with a 250 and the other 50% are saying what you're saying.

If I do start riding, going to keep an autistic amount of space between me and other people and be ever so conservative with acceleration and speed. Just not sold on what to start with yet. What did you start with? What have you had a lot of experience with?

Not referring to track craft friend. I'm referring to adjusting to dickheads in traffic. You can plan, and make your move, then some dick just has to occupy your space (and kill you).

You know what I mean. Please don't confuse OP, and be "that guy".

I don't think I'm going to take a motorbike on a highway for a good while. Did you have much experience riding before you bought your bike?

Heard a bit about the tires lifespan. Honestly I've had next to no experience mechanically. How difficult is it to learn by yourself? What would you suggest is the best way to pick up that kind of knowledge?

I get you. Some similar experiences driving cars, but obviously different because bikes. Is it really worth getting a 500+ for that reason?

I never at any point needed a 600 in the learning stages. The 250 was fine and moved quickly enough when called upon, anything beyond that is misjudgement. You account for idiots, if you don't you die and that's part of the learning.

You're actually a fucktard if you're recommending a beginner gets a 500cc+ within their first year of riding.

>>but it looks cool

Who gives a fuck if you dont have the necessary skill and experience.

>>but it gives you power to escape nasty situations

That power probably put you there in the first place.

OP its worth trying at least, you might find that after 1 or 2 times out that you think it's horribly dangerous. Where I'm from you have to pass a basic aptitude test that lets you ride provisionally for 2 years, Its like £100 takes 2 days and gives you a feel. Take your partner.

Riding a motorbike is safer than it seems, till it's not. as long as you stay aware then you stay as safe as you can, but its something that you have to stay focused at whilst youre doing it. pretty sure most crashes happen because of overconfidence or lack of concentration.

If you do decide to ride good luck and stay safe.

Get the 600, assuming you can afford what you want. I love my old Triumph Daytona 675 - as light as some 250s, and goes as fast as my 80kg arse could want. Totally point and shoot, or cruise if feeling lame.

I rode 2 stroke dirt bikes for 10yrs before finishing school and going on road. First road bike was a 2 stroke KR-1S, which I do not recommend for anyone with any residual sanity.

OP here, thanks heaps for sharing. All your advice is really helping me figure out what to do.

Where I live, you have to go through an initial learning program, where they teach you basic stuff and you get to have a ride iirc. Then you take a test for road rules, then you get a learners license. Definitely want to go through some programs where I can get advice from experienced riders and get to try it out in a controlled environment.

I don't really have a need for speed though. Over time I'd probably want something that could get speed, but for the moment, it feels like I'd benefit from riding a cuck on wheels for awhile before riding something serious.

Not a simple answer. Yes and no, if you're comfortable on a bicycle, you'll probably be able to learn how to ride a motorcycle, but the methods of operation are totally different and unless you're an avid cyclist you're not used to the stress of dealing with traffic.

naa fam buying a bike is the best decision i ever made

Alright I'm out, 14 hour work day and nothing left to give here.

But srs don't get a 600. That said don't get a 125 either, that 250-400 range has some sweet bikes that will serve well without the hyper performance.

Oh and most important point budget for gear BEFORE the bike, any bike from 250 to 1800cc you want to have good gear. Shop for gear and try on all the gear first; boots, pants, jacket, helmet, gloves then price it all up. Whatever is left to spend is for a bike, not the other way round. NEVER skimp on gear, been down in jeans and will not repeat that mistake. Good habits from the start with gear will save you, not "might" they WILL save you because 95% of bike bros I know have been down at some point be it their own or someone else's fault.

My girlfriend loves my bike, night I met her was on it. Would not let her ride it till she bought full properly fitting gear. Srs bidness.

2008 SV650SF
I don't know why it rotated the picture for Sup Forums. I'm on my phone.

I specifically suggested a Honda cb500, which is a very tame and manageable bike that he won't be wanting to sell within a year. I didn't suggest he get a fucking gsx-r 1000 you fag.

If you think a 500cc parallel twin is too much for a first bike, then you are a sandy vagina.