How much have you taste in music changed from 2012? Comparing to yourself and comparing to Sup Forums

How much have you taste in music changed from 2012? Comparing to yourself and comparing to Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20110417044508/http://www.last.fm/user/turntablistQu
last.fm/user/turnyQx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My taste is much better
2012 I was just getting out of my "rock is the only good music" phase (kill me)
Now I have a nice variety I enjoy

>muse

I may be a pleb, but at least I am not a pleb that think's he is patrician, like Muse fans

I listened to garbage in 2012 and I listen to garbage now.

web.archive.org/web/20110417044508/http://www.last.fm/user/turntablistQu

last.fm/user/turnyQx

that's funny at that time i used to be the kinda guy who just tried to dabble into everything but now i settled with my favorite couple rock subgenres almost exclusively
but yeah this

>Ryonikis
>AdultZ
>Leo

damn those comments take me back

In 2012 I listened primarily to Noise Pop and Noise Rock with a taste for Alt. Country. Now I'm well acquainted with all the Jazz masters and classic albums and have a full blown Alt. Country fetish. Meanwhile my interest in Noise Pop and Noise Rock has fallen by the wayside.

As far as how Sup Forums has changed since 2012, that's the year I started here and and there's just as much Grimes-posting, shitposting and meme-music love as ever.

2012 this would have been all Rush and Crystal Castles + various dadrock bands

Are you an emo girl in highschool from 2008?

not much changed
I just shifted from mostly punk to mostly kpop

in 2012 I listened to chiptune

now I listen to rock pop and rap

went from being a "i only listen to metal" kinda guy to being open for anything
i mostly hear hip-hop now tho, rarely listen to metal anymore

i used to just download songs that where in games that i liked, now i listen to the albums those songs are on.

That's about it.

now

no fuck yo archetypes but yes, perpetually

dunno which you i like more but dang you changed... A LOT

ascended

>2009
>start listening to Sup Forumscore - NMH, anco, arcade fire, radiohead, etc
>2011
>get a what.cd acct, start expanding my taste to more experimental and obscure artists
>2013
>frequent local record stores for the selection of world music, jazz, ambient, etc
>2015
>full on pseud, high on my sense of superiority, RYM and discogs only sites on my bookmarks bar
>2017
>meet a girl who is really into p4k-core, gets me relistening to old favorites like NMH, anco, arcade fire, radiohead, etc
>feel alive again
i've come full circle

a lot

in 2012 (age 18-19) i used to listen to a lot of indie and emo, in that year i discovered and loved post punk, minimal wave and i discovered my favorite album of all times (Geogaddi)

today 80% of the music i listen to is electronic and dance music (lies, mood hut, etc.), and Geogaddi is still my fav of all times.

completely gone

eva 1 :3,

Radiohead fans*

i bought the scenes from a memory cd on a whim when i was 13 and i listened to that shit like everyday, never seen it posted here before

in 2012 I was 13

Skrillex, Klaypex, other edgy electronic artists. Also normiecore rock. Coldplay.

as 21 Pilots would say
WISH WE COULD TURN BACK IN TIME TO THE GOOD OLD DAYS
because your tastes suck massive dongs now

>blue album comes up twice
>make believe comes up
>fucking same soundtrack for a film comes up twice

kill me

still a normie lad

how2not b normie

was also meant for u

>born 1999

provided you were born before this date in 1999, you are 18 years old and therefore perfectly able to use this website.

I was born in 98 you cunts

Also, don't act like 50% of this website isn't underage (if not more)

>2012
Mainly alternative rock, indie rock and britpop
My favourite bands were Coldplay, Keane, Muse, Radiohead, Manic street Preachers, Elbow, Franz Ferdinand and The Cure

>now
I listen to various stuff but I'm mainly a prog/metal head
My favourite bands now are Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Death, Opeth, Leprous, Emperor, Esoteric and Moonsorrow

>I used to like Radiohead and The Cure
>Now my favourite bands are King Crimson... etc

Bring back your 2012 taste

you was so good in 2012, wtf happened? are you depressed now?

I still like all the bands I used to dumbass, I just changed my musical focus

Change it back

You get tired of listening to the same stuff for 5 years
I still listen to these bands at times but mainly for nostalgia's sake

I've also been gettign a lot into post-punk and dark wave recently

>2012 prog rock in the future wannabes
He is right you idiots, the best bands were from the 70's

>>>/dadrock/

>2012:
radiohead, nirvana, pearl jam, soundgarden and just general 90s alt rock

>now:
The cure, carcass, duster, swans, merzbow,
basically alot of heavy noisey stuff but also alot of mellow/slower post-punk type stuff

that's a rockist mentality, all music is good.

>frogposter has shit taste and makes cringe "ironic" reference
ngnnnlllleeeehhh

>the best bands were from the 70's
But he likes Porcupine Tree and Opeth

In 2012 I listened to mostly mainstream alternative bands - Sonic Youth, MBV, The Smiths, The Cure, The White Stripes, Pixies, The Stone Roses etc. Was getting into some less known stuff like Nisennenmondai, but only accidentally. I was also pretty big on japanese shoegaze for whatever reason. l I also started listening some other electronic music than Depeche Mode, Kraftwerk and The Prodigy.
2012 was a year I realised I don't really care about metal anymore - 2011 was the last year I think I listened to it with real honesty - of course I later discovered sludge and drone doom and atmoblack and I really liked some of it, but my heart changed however cheesy that may sound.

2013 everything changed for me - I dicovered a shittone of new everything - one day math rock, second day noisy ambient, third day some shit long-forgotten underground krautrock, fourth day realising I'd been my whole life wrong about techno etc. It was really fruitful time - at least musically. Everything was new. Everything was fresh. I got really big into electronic music because it was probably least familiar for me and every new subgenre sounded to me like a new universe. I also discovered Sup Forums and was amazed at first, not so much later. Got into phase of being really pretentious cunt about music either online or in real life. Got out of it - now I'm at point when I listen to whatever I feel like and usually don't give much shit about what other people are listening or what they think about my taste. Respectively there not that many things in music and listening habits of other people now I really despise.

Sup Forums for me was really helpful into digging deeper into music and subgenres, but it saddens me when I go here every couple months to check how things are and nothing really evolves here and people are really prententious about the same old 20 artists they always were.

I don't know why I wrote all this desu - almost getting to the limit. Seriously.

>Sup Forums for me was really helpful into digging deeper into music and subgenres, but it saddens me when I go here every couple months to check how things are and nothing really evolves here and people are really prententious about the same old 20 artists they always were.

Sup Forums has only been great at two things:
Introducing people to genres
Providing buzz to new albums

There's too much user turnover to ever expect the board to "evolve" it's taste. It's really easy to get disappointed by Sup Forums if you expect it to keep giving you the experience that you got when you first discovered it

In 2012 I just listened to Arctic Monkeys and The Gaslight Anthem. Both bands since have released trash buttrock albums.

This, I have discovered much more good music thanks to RYM than Sup Forums

> muse
> Sup Forums core

lol

bump

is the same with books, after 70's all books were shit and basically all was done and written: literature today is only masturbation.

>literature today is only masturbation.
yes, but that's exactly what prog rock is

>if you don't have any of these albums, kindly gtfo)
fucking lmao

This is wonderful. Thank you for making me laugh.

In 2012 I was 16 and an utter and complete pleb. Probably sub-pleb. The fact that I'm into music whatsoever and it's my major now (lol) is a modern miracle.

To put this in perspective, I probably would've had Marianas Trench, Fall Out Boy, Vampire Weekend, Kid Cudi, and Passion Pit as my favorite artists.

Current list, sorta.

I was into darker shit, my favourite records were Deathconsciousness, Exuma, The Eye of Time (was convinced it'd be a cult classic a few years down the line and yet I've never heard it mentioned online since) and some pretty easy listening downtempo stuff.

Now I'm more diverse and not as dark, 'dark' aesthetics cringe me out, had a long psychedelic pop stage in the middle (much of which I still love)

why the fuck are you angry

>being too new to remember the times when Sup Forums was all over the "other radiohead"

absolution or origin of symmetry were in every favourite album list

That must have been funny

uh oh

I was a Freshman/Sophomore in high school. It was a weird mix of electronic (lots of Daft Punk, early Madeon, Justice, etc.) and indie (Matt & Kim, Ra Ra Riot, Passion Pit, The Shins). I also still loved 2000's Pop Punk, and still do honestly. Also lots of 60's and 70's stuff (Simon & Garfunkel, The Beatles, The Eagles, Hall & Oates) that my parents played. But honestly, I listened to a little of everything, since my immediate family spans across a few different decades, so I got a lot of different influences.

Now, it isn't that different. I still listen to most things, and most of the stuff I liked then, but I've started listening to more rap as I became less of a sheltered white kid. Also, I've started listening to bands further from even being popular in the indie scene, and even digging local bands.

My biggest change is that I stopped being a fucking millenial for a minute and started listening to old jazz. Like, really old jazz (1920-1945 being my prime zone) and traditional pop singers. It has become my favorite genre of music, and being that history is probably the thing I love most outside of music, I studied a lot of it, and have taken lots of classes about the history of early jazz and the like. People who I knew in high school find it weird that now I am the guy who can name a musician of an early jazz song within a few seconds of playing.

I still love and listen to all the other genres of music I liked, but I think I'm more well rounded now.

and 10 years later

muse?
cmon dude...

>1 Grimes

Just a bunch of Radiohead albums.

yall niggas listened to some shit music in 2012.
no one here was on Sup Forums back then?... fuck man...

Muse is still the gayest band to ever exist

Out of all Muse albums you had to go with The Resistance. Why would you do that?

That's not his taste, this is an old Sup Forums essentials chart. blame the board.

In 2012, I listened to extremelly entry level rock, like the beatles, the rolling stones, elton john, greenday, and nirvana. I also listened to a whole bunch of meme music like youtube minecraft songs and shit (kill me), as well as a lifetime's worth of weird al. Then in the following years, I listened solely to video game soundtracks. Now I listen to psych rock, prog rock, dadrock, some entry level jazz (especially big band), and whatever else I find comfy.

Also this is a very good discription of my taste throughout my life:

Fuck off cunt

underage b&

In 2012 (was 14 at that time) I was listening to metal pretty much exclusively. Probably just to look cool or edgy I guess. I mostly listened to Slipknot, Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth and Mastodon. I even bought myself few shirts of the first 4 I mentioned, although I could name maybe 2 albums and about 10 songs of each (with exception of slipknot). Then I cut my hair, started to listen to more rock, eventually coming across muse. And well yeah, muse were pretty much the gateway to the more genres I enjoyed, and enjoy to this day.

My favs now are: still muse, radiohead (inb4...), bjork, daft punk and killing joke.

This place had to be so different than what it is now. Enjoying the worst album (at that time) of mainstream band. Im amazed.

freshmen year of highschool, i was around 14.
honestly not too bad but all i listened to was punk

Sup Forums loved .fun too

it was truly a different board

Oh boy, 2012. Still 13 years old, in my "Rock is the only REAL music" phase. Utterly obsessed with Iron Maiden, and a lot of dad Rock/Metal, feeling "holier than thou" for not listening to pop folk/pop rap like my peers. honestly, Iron Maiden wasn't bad, it was just my attitude about music and the extreme lack of variety.

related