Anyone here been or is from SA, Johannesburg?

Anyone here been or is from SA, Johannesburg?

I am in an inner debate with myself wether I should stay or go.
I would be working for a major IT company earning about a third of what I would be making now, 10700 rand.

I rationalize this with the facts that I am:
- working on a nice resume
- seeing a part of the nicest continent on earth.
- get a chance to escape from boredom of everyday life

I feel like I should do this when im young.
I am concerned with the little amount of money i'd be making, this equals to about €700,00 a month while half of that would go to renting an appartement, I am also worried about the high crime rate.

If anyone here with knowledge about johannesburg has an opinion on this you are much appreciated to share with me.

nobody..

It's not that bad. Stay in the northern suburbs if you can

I would be working in the CBD, do you think 10700 rand is enough to get by every month?

I would be taking some backup money offcourse but is this sufficient?

Thanks for replying though, iv'e been posting this for days and on /adv nobody seems to know jozi

> major IT company
>South Africa

Pick one

>IBM

.. Come on bro, is that your advice?

I visited S.A for work earlier this year.. people are nice... country is spectacular.... but if you're white ... when you go home you're pretty much living in a jail. But no country is perfect.. every city has places you don't go late at night.. still.. seemed like JB had more of those areas than i was used too.

It depends where you are coming from. What country are you coming from?

If its the actual CDB then it's not worth it - try to stay out of there, otherwise if it's Sandton you might as well stay in the first world.

I don't think it's worth that amount of money though at all. That's basically a starting salary

I hear you, iv'e been watching louis theroux's documentarys on JB, did you feel safe during daytime though? I don't like going out anyways, if i could stay inside and watch some movies/read some books that would be fine for a year.

It is in Sandton, I know the pay is really really low.. It would go up in January though, but my motivation isn't money here, im from Belgium and could easily earn three times that amount here, it's just me feeling I need this journey to get to know myself sort of thing

Appreciating the inputs people

If you are only going to be here for a year or two then I don't see why you shouldn't do it.

Don't move here permanently though it's just not worth the crime and anxiety
Sandton is pretty much first world though. Although the only way to get around safely is to drive everywhere with the doors locked.

You will have to commute with such a low salary and traffic is bad. Maybe even live in a small flat with a roommate. You are going to struggle a bit.
The weather is probably the best on the planet though.

>I hear you, iv'e been watching louis theroux's documentarys on JB, did you feel safe during daytime though? I don't like going out anyways, if i could stay inside and watch some movies/read some books that would be fine for a year.

not him. I'm the other guy

I don't really ever feel unsafe going out but that's probably because I have lived here my entire life. You never walk if you go out - you drive and you make sure your gate is closed behind you and the alarm is set.

If I give the go, i'd have 2 moths to work somewhere in a factory or w/e to make me some back up money. I'd be bringing about 50K rand as a back up.
I'd make sure to really live close by the place where i'd be working.

I don't expect too much of it really, I just wanna leave this boring ass country for a while.
I understand the immense wealth gap and the crime comming with it.

it's such a contradiction everyone I hear who has has a lot of expierence in JB tells me not to worry, people are the most helpfull and friendly you'll ever come by, then again the crime is just terrible.

I'd make sure to stay in a nice area though, Iv'e hear of people getting homejacked with guns put to their heads - still telling me I should go

Johannesburg is the shittest city in SA though, if you can get a job in CT rather go there, but don't stay your whole trip in Joburg.

Wouldn't have a choice, i'd be working for IBM under contract, maybe if I have a few days of i'd visit CT or mozambique

>I'd make sure to really live close by the place where i'd be working.
Going to be difficult to find a place in or around Sandon for that price.

Also don't expect 'Africa' around Sandon. It's pretty much a small first world bubble, hence the cost of living.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it here man. It's nowhere as bad as you think it is. I've lived near Sandton for my entire life and the worst thing to ever happen to me was having my bike stolen.

>Johannesburg is the shittest city in SA though, if you can get a job in CT rather go there, but don't stay your whole trip in Joburg.

JHB north (Area that includes Sandton) is the best place to live in the country. Cape Town is nice but it's not as fun unless you like surfing.

Thanks man, I already made my mind up that i'm going, it's just the bitch in me that doesnt want to recognize it yet.

I really need to get out of my comfort zone, escaping capitalism for a while can only do you good. Maybe i'll run into you one day without knowing, thanks for the advice guys !

Awesome man. Maybe i'll run into you and we'll grab a beer. You never know.

Get a local to show you the safe parts of town and have fun. You might become more racist though.

I'm looking forward to that man!

Oh right, one place i really wanna visit is the cradle of humankind.
And im not racist, but i do feel safer around white people ... is that bad? I think that's bad..

> Joburg better than Cape Town

Fuck off with your mine dumps

why do people from south africa never shut up about being from south africa?

it's because you are safer around white people.
Almost everyone is racist here but it's more of a classist thing. A white person will wish all black people would drop dead after being robbed and then have lunch with his black friend from work the next day. It's complicated. Try not to be too shocked by it.

Cradle of Humankind is defiantly a must see. We have some of the best food on the planet here so put aside some cash for that too. If you like steaks have a few.

That's just the East Rand man

It's a nice ice breaker tbh.

This guy knows what's up. Our steaks are next level. Also the seafood in Cape Town, you're able to buy it fresh off the boat or go diving for shellfish in certain areas with a permit.

We manage to be fucking good at shit in a third world continent and it goes to our heads that's why. Sports? Good. Food? Good. Art? Good. Women? Good. Business? Good. Scenery? Good, ask Hollywood they're here every summer

Lol other then scenery South Africa is basically shit at everything else you mentioned.

Art. William Kentridge. Sport. Cricket. Food. Luke Dale-Roberts. Women. Gina Athans.

Kthnxbye

>> 714535321

Business. Elon Musk

Well hey look at that! Thread is still alive,

OP here, sending an email to my contact in SA to arange my visa

Are you very junior? SA salaries compare quite well to the rest of the world when you consider the cost of living in SA.

R10700 sounds like an entry level position

Good luck OP. Let us know how it is when you get here.

I would be working as a technical helpdesk 'engineer', and yeah it is very low. They do pay for 2 weeks of accomodation, plane tickets, cost of visa and a 2 month education. Still salary is peanuts compared to what I would be making working in Belgium.
It is a function below my classification though

Certainly will do bro, what beer is good there?

Loads of craft breweries have begun opening up. Joburgs scene is relatively small, but the Devil's Peak range is good for your IPAs, Stouts. Citizen for saisons. Jack Black does a good pale ale and Windhoek is the best lager although its from Namibia (ex-German colony). Black Label is SA's best mainstream beer.

Melville and Parkhurst in Joburg will have the best spots for exploring beers. If you're in Cape Town you'll have a wider range of breweries spread out throughout the city.

Mass Produced:
Castle Lite is the best cheap beer that you can drink a lot of black label is also pretty good. Try a Windhoek too.

Craft
Otherwise Jack Black is pretty good as well as any Devil'd Peak beer or anything made by CBC.

Check out Beerhouse in Fourways and try a few