Grimes's 2012 album Visions is getting the classical treatment from Montreal-based ensemble Plumes

>Grimes's 2012 album Visions is getting the classical treatment from Montreal-based ensemble Plumes.

>The group, which includes singer/guitarist Veronica Charnley (of Flotilla), composer and multi-instrumentalist Geof Holbrook and harpist Éveline Grégoire-Rousseau, commissioned composers to rework tracks to take Grimes’s subversion of pop traditions even further down the road of deconstruction. Composers include Nicole Lizée, Marielle Groven, Cassandra Miller, Emilie LeBel and Toronto-based Monica Pearce.

>It’s fitting that Pearce should find herself tackling a composition based on the music of Grimes, a left-field pop star who’s been outspoken about the lack of recognition for female producers and technical talents. The issue of gender equity in classical music is one Pearce has continually pushed, as former general manager of the Canadian League of Composers and now as executive director at the Music Gallery.

[...]

>What is it about Visions that lends itself to this sort of reimagining?
>It’s really rich musically. The melodic aspects of the tracks are amazing. Veronica, Plumes singer, has this incredible voice but is very different from Grimes. It’s going to be quite different from the album, which I think will be really exciting.

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

nowtoronto.com/music/features/grimes-gets-the-classical-treatment
nowtoronto.com/music/features/grimes-gets-the-classical-treatment/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What was it like re-arranging Grimes in a classical context?

>The song I ended up using was Nightmusic and I must’ve listened to it 100 times before writing my piece. It’s a very electronic, synthy and reverby track. Plumes is primarily acoustic so the idea of translating that sound world for a chamber ensemble using unamplified instruments was really challenging but also interesting. Plumes have a harpist and I had written for harp before. Since they don’t have a percussionist, I ended up using the harp as the beat-making part, so the harpist plays the body of the instrument to get the percussion aspect of it.

>I tried to keep the vocals very similar to what is in Grimes’s track. I had to work pretty hard to transcribe them because she’s all over the place. There’s so much ornamentation and singing right before the beat. To get that notated was tricky but fun.

nowtoronto.com/music/features/grimes-gets-the-classical-treatment

I hope they get to recording/releasing it soon. As far as I can tell, this is just a single live performance debut.

page not found

Seems that last slash is important...

Fucking hell, their url doesn't work without that final slash...

>Seems that last slash is important...
That's really stupid. Their admin is not doing his job properly.

IMO Grimes should do a classical album. She's really good.

searched it myself
thx anyway
seems pretty cool

bump

how far will this cancer spread

is she wearing a drawstring bag as a shirt

Into your wildest dreams.

Maybe. She's so quirky.

no i think thats just her in ridiculous poses and outfits for a photoshoot.

something tells me she doesn't look/act/dress like that when she's chilling out. just call it a hunch.

what did you expect from a generic lady gaga ripoff?

>generic lady gaga ripoff
user, you can't be a ripoff of someone who is themself a total ripoff.

cool, will check this out

but you can, grimes is like recording a 128kbps mp3 from some $5 speakers with an old nokia microphone

all youtube mp3 is 128kbps
i suggest you to listen to some legally downloaded music

Grimes is the closest thing to culture for Canadians