I'm about to start The Wire. What am i in for?

I'm about to start The Wire. What am i in for?
meme or actually good?

You probably won't be into after watching the pilot, but just bear with it. It's gets good.

Also just so everyone knows:

4>>3>1>5

arguably the best television show ever aired

5 was still good though, and i thought 3 was better than 2

its outdated, watch it as a period piece instead of something thats in the present day.

Perhaps one of the greatest series of all time. Once you see the Chess scene with D'Angelo you'll understand, while you may not notice it on the first few watches, you'll begin to understand its a metaphor!

This show rivals Game of Thrones in complicated and profound thoughts that reward the most patient viewers.

Seasons take a while to get good. Usually until they have a wiretap of some sort going.

This. It doesn't hold a candle to the walking dead

Boardwalk Empire/Fargo/Breaking Bad are better. Don't listen to the memers

wallace is killed by bodie

Watch season 1. Starts off slow then it gets going.

Its not The Sopranos. Its suppose to be realistic crime show.

Second season best season

This

You are about to watch one of the GOATs

>breaking bad

Hello underage redditor!

seasons 2-4 are quite a bit better than 1 and 5

overall a good show though

>meme or actually good?

Put aside all the love for the show you've heard.
Don't think it's going to be some fast paced thrill ride.

And settle in.

It's called the Wire so there's a lot of sitting and waiting.
But It's one of the best shows you'll ever watch when you're all done.

Probably the best show I've watched after The Sopranos. The final season, while not as bad as a lot of people think, lets it down a bit. 1-4 are absolutely godly though. Season 2 kinda diverges away from the main story a bit, and feels more like a spinoff. And it's still connected to the others.

If you're used to more fast paced shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones then be prepared to be a bit "I don't get it?" at first, as the slow pace and dialogue driven format may be a shock to your system. I say that from experience, as I was the same.

It'll be worth it though, trust me. Every season slowly bubbles away towards a fantastic climax.

The fourth season is absolutely amazing

2=4>3>1=5

Best show I've ever watched. Sobotkas are GOAT characters and sometimes I think S2 is even better than 4 (even though the last 2 episodes of season 4 are the best episodes of the show) and I'm not white.

Inb4 Sup Forums shitposters attempt to derail this thread with "hurr durr niggers xD" and claims that it's just liberal propaganda that portrays black people as the good guys, clearly having never watched the show and only making such comments because they saw that there's black people in it, because if they had, they'd know that Marlo, Clay, Snoop and Chris are universally regarded to be awful human beings, and the likes of Avon, Stringer, Namond and Bodie are hardly portrayed as heroes. Not to mention how the white dock workers in season 2 were clearly written for the viewer to sympathise with.

>last 2 episodes of season 4 are the best episodes of the show

Final Grades did the whole "everything going to shit at once" episode thing way better than Breaking Bad's Ozymandias did.

If you're a smart person you'll like it.

If you're an idiot you'll watch 3 eps max and then go on Sup Forums and trashtalk ir.

>Its not The Sopranos. Its suppose to be realistic crime show.

I know you're baiting but there was nothing in The Sopranos less realistic than a load of gang members running away in panic from a lone man walking down the street whistling to himself like with Omar in The Wire.

He was based on a real guy. Everything in the show is based on real things (Simon is a journalist, Ed Burns is an ex-cop and there's an episode that they mention him, Pelecanos is a famous crime writer).

My favorite episode of the show, that ending is flawless.

starts off slow and stays like that

Is the Islamic homeboy based on someone?

>mfw the priest who is friends with Bunny used to be a criminal irl

Ask them, this is not an AMA.

First 4 seasons are medicore, but then it really starts to get interesting in the last episode.

Real debate. Should I-
>continue season 1 of 24 and so on (wife just found out she is pregnant and jack met with state farm)
>give the wire another shot (watched the pilot and wasn't too impressed so started 24)
>give oz a watch (never seen or heard anything about)
>give the Americans a watch (have major crush on the main lady so this is tempting)
All of these are on amazon prime so give me guidance Sup Forums maybe a kind user could rank them and tell me the best order. Also I think the sorpranos is on there, but I'm worried all the hype I've heard about it being "THE BEST SHOW EVER!" is going to lead to disappointment; am I wrong?

Only little dick white bois think season 2 is the best

It can be tedious to watch, but I'd say it's a decent show.

All of them are solid picks. The Wire is the best overall and still arguably the best show to air on television.

24 S1 is fantastic, especially the first 12 episodes. The thing you must know is that the show gets progressively worse and you should stop watching it, although when is up for some debate. Stop after 1, or stopping after 3 is probably best. If you really, really can't live without more then stop after 5. Under no circumstances continue on beyond the end of 5.

Americans is GOAT but unfinished, could always shit the bed but unlikely. One of the best shows ever and arguably the best currently airing program.

Never saw Oz but if you like the Wire and can deal with slightly dated programming it's probably worth your time. As a minor note, you can note the effect 24 had on television with these other shows you've mentioned, 24 was the first show to push levels of production into more cinematic levels- so Oz is completely tv bound, the wire slowly becomes more cinematic, and americans as a recent show is obviously entirely cinematic.

Giving The Wire is the best option there.

The Wire isn't the most accessible show, and the first episode isn't meant to be something that grabs you quickly like other pilots. You have to give it more than that. I heard it's best that you watch the first 4 episodes in a row to start, because you need to get used to the show's rhythm and better familiarize yourself with the characters and themes it introduces. It may sound like a lot, but it's worth it to get into the rest of the show.

Runner up in your options is Oz. It isn't as classy as The Wire or The Sopranos, but it's still a very entertaining series and one of the first shows to get away with now commonplace things like excessive violence, or despicable protagonists.

Haven't seen 24 and The Americans, so I can't comment on those.

Spank you user, just the type of reply I was looking for. What about that 24 movie? Retribution or something; is that worth a watch? Should I watch most of the show first or is it a standalone thing?

Will give the wire another shot and check out oz, spanks user. Prison stuff always interests me, but aside from a select few movies nothing has really stood out.

The wire is exactly like Lost and Breaking Bad - a waste of celluloid.

/thread