Name this chord for me

name this chord for me

Bbm add11

Eb7 without the 3rd in second inversion

Mike

This is the closest you'll get to an answer, but it looks like it's only the top half of a chord.

Assuming you didn't just pick out three random keys, it depends what chords lead up to it and how it resolves.

fucking chordlets.

sus minor?

madd4

keith

the chord before it is an Bb minor chord i think, in the key of Ab major.

i'm not super knowledgable so i'm just curious. would Bb in the key of Ab major be minor, but the fifth is raised a half step right?

C#69 first inversion. Welcome to jazz.

nevermind i'm dumb, the fifth isn't raised its just minor, and then the chord i asked about in OP lowers the fifth by a full step so Bbminno5add4?

What's the chord after the one in the OP? It could just be a passing tone chord or an appoggiatura chord (aka don't bother trying to figure it out)

the 3 is flat with an added 4th, therefore its a madd4

this is the entire part i'm lookin at, OP chord in the fourth measure. looking at the bass it could be an inversion...

Oh it's easily an Eb7 without the third. Goes to Ab like it should.

when looking at the root for these chords should i be looking into the bass first? am i a dummy

Not necessarily. Look at the second measure - it's an Ab with a C in the bass. Still an Ab chord (the root is Ab) but the C in the bass means it's in 1st inversion.
The reason why you needed the bass to figure out the chord in the OP (as well as surrounding chords) is because that chord has a function which the Eb in the bass confirms. This function is to lead into the next chord (the Ab). If you add the G to the Eb7 chord, you will find that it strongly wants to resolve to Ab.
Side note, the Bbm-Eb7-Ab in measures 3-5 is a very common progression. It's called a ii-V-I turnaround.

how is the second measure an Ab with a C in the bass? I see no Ab, so how could it be a root note if it isn't in the chord?

I probably wasn't very clear in that last post. You SHOULD look to the bass for determining the root, because a lot of the time chords are in root position. But it isn't always the case. In general for determining chord names, you should look at ALL of the notes, including the bass, and ask yourself, "what chord has all of these notes?" then you look towards the bass again to determine if it's in root position or an inversion.

Fuck sorry I swear I saw an Ab in the treble, but i guess I wasn't looking very hard. You are right, it is a C minor chord in root position.

thank you very much, this actually helped me quite a bit since i'm musically retarded and trying to get better at actually reading sheet

unrelatd: song is easy by faith no more

holy shit what is this chord mathematics

You got me good user

What's it matter as long as it sounds right or even good

t. someone who still thinks music theory is a meme

E7.

This is basic stuff man.