What if your state was shaped like this?

What if your state was shaped like this?

Isn't this map more indicative of reality?

Here's the results of the 2016 presidential election. This is the new map of America. We should make these county lines into state lines.

Then in 40 years when demographics and population centers have shifted yet again, borders would be even more pointlessly fucked up.

What if borders shift every 4 years? Cities can vote to be incorporated into one state or the other

If borders shift every four years, then what is the point of a border? More than just a political line on a map, borders have power as the point of separation of peoples, ideally. A Texan would lose his pride just because he lives in Travis County, outside of Austin.
On a less philosophical note, it's logistically impractical to have a proportional government where the regions the representatives are purported to represent are constantly shifting - we'd have to have the census more than twice as often, and those in charge of drawing the lines resulting from said accounting of population would become just as corrupt as those in charge of drawing county and district lines are today.
True change will only come when those with access to great resources have the same goals as the common man, so that they corrupt those in power for the greater good, in addition for their own gain, which by the nature of power is inevitable.

The blue state would contain 51% of voters?

Texans have already lost their pride when they saw Austin fall to Hillary.

These borders are indeed separating people. That's the point. but they're already separated.

Why don't New Jerseyans vote for governor? Because New Jersey as it exists cannot carry a single political message. But north jersey can. And south jersey can. Can't we agree that we already disagree?

Yes even though they're smaller

way to throw out any sense of natural borders
do rivers and mountains mean literally nothing to you?

Of course we disagree, and maybe a redistricting of states is in order. But doing so based on the results of one election is short sighted, and doing so with such a weight to population density is even more so. People move, cities pop up, and avoiding the tyranny of the majority is necessary if cities desire not having a farmers revolt - or if farmers want to continue to reap the cultural and societal benefits that cities bring in turn.

neat

I used a ton of natural borders lol mine is way less arbitrary than the mess we have now

Holy shit

Rivers my map uses as natural borders that the current map doesn't:
Columbia
Missouri
Colorado
Arkansas
Tennessee

I also accounted for the Rockies and the Appalachians

Ha, true change will only come when the capital currently controlled by the uber wealthy is controlled by a democratic process - when the many reap the benefits of modern technology, instead of the privileged upper class.

If Redland is going to survive it needs blueland's money. This is what the country looks like

Are you asking for the return of city-states? It seems like you have two different types of states - "Powerful Cities" and "Everybody Else". The foundation of a democracy is not the barons ruling the slums, which rule in turn the serfs outside the city walls. That's feudalism. Feudalism is bad, we had a touch of a war about that 240 years ago.

And if blueland is going to survive, it needs the food, water, gas, coal, solar, and many other resources produced by redland. That is also what the country looks like.

Yeah man. Blueland and redland are super different but we share the same land. We have to acknowledge our differences so we can fix problems. Not keep trying to force consensus

Basically.

Red or blue, let's just remember we are all Americans, and we can work together for a better tomorrow.

*ends cheesy statement*

This! ^^

But that's the economic reality of everywhere in blue land right now. New York City supports life in what is currently called the bottom part of upstate New York, New Jersey, and part of Connecticut. replace barons with banks and serfs with increasingly desperate suburbanites and it sounds pretty accurate to me. It's not pretty but it acts like a single state so I say let's make it one. Call it Roosevelt. Then we can talk about corruption in places like Roosevelt call the rest of upstate NY Woodstock. Then you can talk about economic despair in Woodstock.

*waves flag while saluting*
The most important thing is that we all work together, walking with eyes open into a future that we create together.

But we can't agree on a single fucking thing because we have one government serving two nations

is anybody else going to point out the blatant communist dubs? cause that commie got dubs.

This is the big problem facing our nation(s) today!

Took the liberty of coming up with some new state names

nigger what do you call that disaster that is what used to be arizona

Let the red states have trump if they want him so badly. Blue states can vote for universal healthcare and legalize abortion, move to red land if you want your kids to grow up learning the Bible in school

Arizona was pretty split. The red state is named for Elvis and the blue half is named for sojourner truth.

at least use an accurately colored map

This gives democrats a huge advantage. Red states lose their power in presidential elections, since their population drops to Wyoming levels.

If there are equal numbers of red and blue states, senate is useless, and if there are more blue states, congress is blue every year.

BAMA and the Californian coast will be paying European tier taxes.

You guys who keep pushing this proportional to population democracy ought to read the federalist papers.

Took the liberty of doing a piss poor edit

Senate is fucking useless. California is the 8th largest economy in the world and should and already do pay europe tier taxes.

What if States looked like my map and more decisions were made on state level? What if every time you count blue states vs. red states, every state gets 1 vote?

>California almost makes more than my country
Bloody hell fire

honestly, i feel that making every state into a proxy country would benefit America in the long run

Someone got a lib arts degree

Sorry, I was lazy and just googled Population Voting Map. Here's the 2016 vesion.

And by County

With a gradient to show how close everything was

I'm seriously at the point now where I say fuck the federal government and let the states with intelligent populations join together to make all the liberal bullshit we want happen.
Sure, we'd lose environmental protection and some other stuff, but then we could all sit back and watch this shitty states died of diabeetus, self inflicted gunshot wounds, and easily vaccinated diseases.

ITS PIKACHU....GOD DAMN IT

Collorblind and what i assume is purple is a gigantic fuck up, but look lads... does t that seem like an angry eagle shape???

Michigan is the head of the angry eagle