What's the most pretentious thing you've ever heard someone say about music, Sup Forums?

what's the most pretentious thing you've ever heard someone say about music, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

scaruffi.com/vol1/beatles.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This album is better than that album

MBDTF is a solid 4

>insert any RYM review of of Stars of the Lid or Disintegration Loops here

Your opinion is worthless because you don't listen to classical music.

He was probably right

"this is music. this is art."
in reference to modest mouse.

fuck out of here.

probably this post

scaruffi.com/vol1/beatles.html

was just about to post this, lel

"i dislike a sunny day in glasgow"

maybe not actually pretentious, but it does imply you're a shitty person

More like a solid 0.

That music ought to follow a set of rules, and that experimental has no merit.

this was said to me by a second year music undergrad who only listened to classical

Was having a discussion with two Jazz PhD students at a party.

"So where do you guys see the genre going in the future?"
"Well we can't see the future so that's a pointless question."

Later on in the same conversation...

"A musician is not talented unless he can sing everything he writes."

I bailed after that and went to drink somewhere else.

someone liked what i didn't like

once i saw a thread and the OP said "what's the most pretentious thing you've ever heard someone say about music, Sup Forums?"

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea isn't that good

First one makes sense but is a bit rude.

your first mistake was talking to people who go to school to study jazz

>"Well we can't see the future so that's a pointless question."
genuinely made me upset

good on you for leaving

>Jazz
>PhD
Lmao

What a brainlet.

You can't really blame them for avoiding the question, it's like asking a long term coma patient's parents how they see the future.

>Why is it that famous musicians get a pass for being a pleb but as soon as a non musician says something as stupid as that, they get trashed?
In response to a musician saying they don't like Bob Dylan

infuriating/10

As () pointed out, I wouldn't have expected anything different from such retards.

"Music nowadays sucks"

You'd be surprised at the degree's some unis are handing out. I know of someone who got their PhD in clowning.

My brother's girlfriend knew someone who got it in ball hockey. Academia is a joke nowadays

that's a terrible metaphor.

There are plenty of ways to answer that question. Jazz is in a weird state where a progressive genre is viewed as nostalgic at the same time. And it's being brought to the modern listener more by being used by people like Kendrick, Kamasi, FlyLo etc.

Why are you a Jazz student if you don't want to talk about Jazz? Why are you at a party if you don't want to socialize?

It's at North Texas, so if you're going to get a Jazz degree, that's the place you'd do it.

Unfortunately, just like every graduate student, the people in the program tend to be either overly nostalgic "le wrong generation" or uber-academic avante garde "nothing is good enough" elitists.

why did you not shoot them?!!

because everybody respects the shooter but the ones in front of the gun live forever

>"A musician is not talented unless he can sing everything he writes."
These guys sound like shitstains, but there's some truth to this, especially in jazz.

>especially in Jazz

That's the trick, Jazz is 90% improvisation.

But for real, there's no way Coltrane could sing half the shit he played.

And how does that even apply to a drummer?

It's an asinine statement.

>Well we can't see the future so that's a pointless question
Did they answer in those terms? Did it sound as annoying as it does reading it?

Yes it did.

I called them out on their dumb logic and they rescinded and we talked about how Jazz was in a lot of ways dying due to its fans' nostalgic, rose-tinted glasses and unwillingness to adapt, which is ironic because it's a progressive art form.

They agreed and then later, ironically, told me that any electronic music is not art because real musicians play instruments blah blah blah leading to the second quote about singing - this coming from the guy that had earlier stated his admiration for John Cage (I'm serious, you cannot make this shit up). At which point I just said, well I'm not interested in continuing this conversation then, and left.

The idea of "play what you can sing" is about getting the musician away from just playing stock licks, patterns and straight up guesswork. All of which is very common with novice musicians (especially improvisers) who haven't developed an intuitive connection with their instrument.

>But for real, there's no way Coltrane could sing half the shit he played.
Don't take the statement so literally. If you slow down the faster parts and adjust the range for his voice, I think he could absolutely sing the parts he was playing.

>And how does that even apply to a drummer?
Jazz rhythms/accents have specific "vocal" equivalents that musicians and directors use constantly for rehearsal, including drummers.

"Five Finger Death Punch is better than Iron Maiden because they're heavier"

>don't take the statement so literally

That's the difference. He was being literal. It wasn't an idea or some sort of perspective on playing. He literally meant you should note-for-note be able to sing what you write.

I don't have the full context, but I really doubt that's what he meant. If that's actually the case, he's completely retarded. Most people's vocal ranges don't match their instruments, are they supposed to not play those notes?

Like I said, I'm skeptical about your interpretation, since the general idea I'm talking about is widespread in music education (along with sight-singing, which is taught in every basic theory course). Maybe he misinterpreted that and morphed it into his own retarded belief.

I understand your pain.

"Slayer can't even scream, not heavy enough for me"

- A Bring me the Horizon fan

I do have the full context, as I was there. I promise you that's what he was saying because I had brought it up to a mutual friend afterwards because I, same as you, didn't think someone could have such a moronic view on music. He confirmed that, no, that's actually what he believes.

He's an elitist jackass when it comes to music who thinks he's the shit because he plays in a jazz band at the "best" jazz school in the country and people in the community think he's a great composer.

He also said that there's no point in listening to new music because it's all been done before so why would he waste his time. Which is completely hypocritical since he composes music himself...

>"Metallica is a real man's music"
>The same person who says this wears a fedora unironically

Well, that's a bummer. You sound pretty resentful towards him and his reputation right now. You're better off just ignoring him, the hype will inevitably go away if he's as bad as you're making him out to be. No use wasting energy on something petty.

>Well we can't see the future so that's a pointless question.

I don't see what's pretentious about this at all, if anything I think it's incredibly unpretentious. It would be much more so if they claimed that they knew exactly what was going to happen to Jazz music just because they have PhDs in Jazz.

>A musician is not talented unless he can sing everything he writes.

This, though to a lesser extent, seems reasonable as well, I don't see why a musician shouldn't at least be able to hum a melody that they've written.

I mean sure maybe they came off as a bit abrasive but they didn't say anything completely unreasonable.

THE

I don't really care about his reputation. I'm not a Jazz musician or anything and I'm not in a band anymore. This was a few years ago. He IS a good composer and a good person - his opinions on music are just extremely stupid.

>wasting energy

I was just answering the thread and replying.

There's a guy in my friend circle who is like this, like sperg-witty, everybody secretly loathes him for it and we constantly have to walk on eggshells around him because he will get mega-triggered if he is criticized one bit.

You don't think it's pretentious to completely dismiss a conversation for a illogical reason?

>I don't see why a musician shouldn't at least be able to hum a melody that they've written.

Because being able to sing doesn't have any bearing on being able to write music or play an instrument?

The only reason I mentioned that was because you seemed to go on an unsolicited tirade against the guy after your first paragraph. Not trying to be a dick, just giving you my impression.

I was just trying to frame his mindset and ego. It's all good.

>You don't think it's pretentious to completely dismiss a conversation for a illogical reason?

It doesn't sound illogical to me. It's possible they just didn't want to make idiots of themselves answering a question with no right answer. I'm sure it wouldn't have rubbed you in such a wrong way if they had just said "I don't know".

>Because being able to sing doesn't have any bearing on being able to write music or play an instrument?

Did they say a musician had to be able to sing well? Because Louis Armstrong certainly couldn't and he sang and scat along to the melodies on his songs all the time.

>but the ones in front of the gun live forever
Only if theyre black and the shooter is white

>want to make idiots of themselves answering a question with no right answer.
If there's no right answer, then how would they look like idiots talking about a subject which they should presumably know about?

>Did they say a musician had to be able to sing well?

That question doesn't matter. It still has no bearing on whether you can write music or play an instrument. Is it preferable for a musician to be able to sing? Sure, you could make that argument. Is it necessary? No.

Whenever someone says someone's taste is to limited or not varied enough. These are usually 1 of 4 people:

1. An Sup Forums teen who listens to only modern Sup Forumscore and /p4k/core. (If a youtuber didn't review it, it's irrelevant).
2. A newfag who just discovered the Sup Forums classics.
3. An RYM user who listens exclusively to unknowns.
4. Jazz fags who think because they listen to pre 60s music and read the music theory wikipedia article that they are authorities on all music.

It's ok to have opinions but as soon as you pretend that your opinion is any more than an opinion you lose all credibility. Oh, by the way I like a lot of the music I listed above, I just don't define my tastes based on another person's opinion.

>You sound pretty resentful towards him and his reputation right now.
Are you the jackass he was talking too? There is no way anyone could read that out of anything he said

I feel like the poster and I cleared that up already, but I guess I can give you my point of view.

Like I said in a previous post, I felt like a lot of the detail he gave was unsolicited and unnecessary, which people tend to do more eagerly when they've got a bone to pick. Certain words and phrases gave me the vibe that he thinks the guy sucks despite other's praise and academic credentials. Later posts clarified that wasn't the case, so my bad.

And yes, I am currently pursuing a PhD in Jazz Triangle Performance.

>jazz triangle performance

Watch Amoeba's What's in My Bag series on YouTube. A lot of indie bands have no idea what the hell they're talking about when it comes to different music. Max poser core.

>Jazz PhDs

brainlets

What a piece of shit. The question is where do you see it going in the future, not what IS the future.

kek this

If anything, it just opens the floor for ideas on how Jazz might be incorporated into new genres. Every genre has a "jazz" phase or at least jazz-influenced artists. Hip hop has had a bunch, and so has rock and roll.

You could have a really interesting discussion about jazz influences coming into electronica or even dubstep for that matter, OR you can be a prissy fag with no imagination or actual interest in talking about music. Pity they chose the latter.

>tfw I said that
>tfw it wasn't because bjork had said she didn't like him but it was they way she said it
I love it when people try to twist arguments to suit their own goals

sooo pretty much every mu post ever?