Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir

Thoughts?

mega.nz/#!Ch83WRCQ!DEySs00MCSPjMHjXan904ISxIA-mCQUd1FfXO-s4Evw

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/music/2017/jan/05/stephin-merritt-50-song-memoir-magnetic-fields-interview
mediafire.com/file/nnkgegnqkw14184/The_Zinnias.rar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

literally who?

It's too long. I mean it's 2017 who has time to listen to that many songs? Cut it down to 10 and then we'll talk

For a 5 disc album
two hours and 30 minutes isn't long at all. The longest song is 4 minutes.
And who said you had to listen to the whole thing at once? You probably spend more time shit posting on Sup Forums anyway.

>Thoughts?
Best album since Distortion, though I somewhat liked Realism. Good to hear synths again though.

>You probably spend more time shit posting on Sup Forums anyway.
Got that right

>I have like 100 people on slsk trying to get the album from me
>doesn't seem like anyone getting the album from me is sharing
Sigh. Sharing this album is really fucking with my bandwidth. Looks like I might not get to finish season 4 of Samurai Jack tonight.

>since Distortion
Distortion was terrible. The single-sound concept doesn't work for them. Also on Distortion over half of the songs featured the shitty girl singer over Merritt. More like best album since i.

>Also on Distortion over half of the songs featured the shitty girl singer over Merritt.
Are you talking about Shirley Simms, because surely you must be joking? Her voice is miles better than Claudia's voice, though I don't hate Claudia's voice. I feel about her voice in the same way I feel about Bernard Sumner's: bad singing voice, great emotion.

>tfw work at a media outlet that buys used products
>guy comes in with a bunch of CDs
>has a copy of 69 love songs
>buy it for 3 bucks

While I can't say this album is better than 69 Love Songs on first listen, one thing I can definitely say is it's more consistent. By the third disc on 69 Love Songs, it kind of falls apart, whereas on this album, it doesn't.

Really loving this so far. Dreaming in Tetris is fucking god tier

what happened to the original singer for this band btw

i know she left several albums ago but i can't find anything about her

Both girl singers are bad IMO. I WANNA BEE, A PLAYBOI'S BUNNEEE. I can't stand the timbre of her voice. It's even more annoying on the song Quick!

I wish the two guest male singers on 69 Love Songs came back for other albums.

>I wish the two guest male singers on 69 Love Songs came back for other albums.

>liking those guys yet hating Claudia and Shirley
Fucking ew. Those guys were way too fucking showy and made things way too cheesy.

As i said in mistake thread, Waaaay too many recycled melodies/chord progressions from old Merrit songs to my ears

I understand where you're coming from, but

WAAASHIIINGGGTONNNN DEEE CEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE *agh my fucking ears* EEEEEEEE ITTT'S PARAADIISE TO MEEEEE.

Sure those guys are theatrical but at least they aren't ear-piercingly annoying.

Pretty sure that's done on purpose. Not only is Stephin reflecting on his life lyrically, but musically. '13 Big Enough for Both of Us sounds too blatantly reminiscent of All My Little Words not to be done on purpose.

and yes, I said this in the other thread, but I have no idea which thread will survive longer and I wanted to expand on what I said.

>but at least they aren't ear-piercingly annoying.
I don't find Claudia nor Shirley ear piercing at all
so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

This album is a perfect example of why longer =/= better.

Not a surprise. You Must Be Out of Your Mind recycled The Book of Love's melody. And of course that resulted in it being the most popular song from Realism.

This is such a dumb thing to say about this album. The longest disc on this album is 32 minutes, the gimmick of the album is one song for each year of his life (meaning this album could never be short) and each disc is split into decades, meaning you don't have to listen to each disc one after another, you can come back later.

How do you share on slsk? Just re-upload? Or is there a way to seed?

> The longest disc on this album is 32 minutes, the gimmick of the album is one song for each year of his life (meaning this album could never be short) and each disc is split into decades, meaning you don't have to listen to each disc one after another, you can come back later.
No, this is a dumb thing to say about this album. It's not five separate albums, you dingus. It's one. It's too fucking long for an album. He tried to make something ambitious and it did not go well.

Is this a rip of the NPR stream or an actual leak? Either way thanks OP

Post your top 3 69LS
>Asleep and Dreaming
>Grand Canyon
>The Night You Can't Remember

>It's not five separate albums, you dingus. It's one. It's too fucking long for an album.
And? That doesn't mean you have to listen to each disc immediately after one another. The album is basically musical autobiography. When you read a book, especially an autobiography, do you usually read the thing in one sitting? No. For a five disc album, 2 hours and 30 minutes is incredibly short. But whatever.

>He tried to make something ambitious and it did not go well.
He was specifically asked by the president of Nonesuch (at the time) to record this album and release it as a five disc set. If you want to whine about it, whine to him.
>Merritt turned fifty on February 9, 2015. It was a few months earlier—on October 22, 2014, to be precise—when he met with Nonesuch's then-President (and 50 Song Memoir executive producer) Bob Hurwitz for lunch at the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station to discuss future projects for the label: "It definitely had to do with my turning fifty and doing a record in relation to turning fifty. During the course of the conversation, the idea evolved into me doing a record of fifty songs about me, one per year. Having done 69 Love Songs, I was familiar with the difficulties of asking the record label if you could make a multi-record set. But, in this case, they were asking me. So I didn't have any pressure and, in fact, it was Bob's idea to make it a five-disc set."
theguardian.com/music/2017/jan/05/stephin-merritt-50-song-memoir-magnetic-fields-interview

a serious mistake sounds way too much like i cant touch you anymore

makes me just want to listen to that

hustle 76
life aint bad
no

all of these are classic meritt tracks

the other 47 tracks dont make my ultimate merrit playlist

yet songs are vibrant and not awful....just a lot of 6/10s that are fine but i much rather listen to his better stuff

this album doesnt offer much after disc 3 imo

Be True To Your Bar is such a great track when you're hammered, tired and the fun is winding down.

longshot request..

anyone got a link to merrits first band the zinnias - compost demo

was online years ago then links removed

Oh shit I think I might have it on an old hard drive somewhere. Keep this thread bumped I'll try and find it.

thank you senpai!!

if you end up able to would be coo if you can include the title with it so it will be in archive too :)

Here you go fella - mediafire.com/file/nnkgegnqkw14184/The_Zinnias.rar

This is on par with 69 love songs imo. There’s not a lot that’s quite Papa Was a Rodeo tier but it’s pretty consistent all the way through and as a gimmick it’s honestly really effective and interesting.

Good picks.
>All My Little Words
>Papa Was A Rodeo
>Busby Berkley Dreams

you are the shit thank you!!!!

>I don't want to get over you
>Long-Forgotten fairytale
>My only friend

i hope i never turn into
BRAAAAP
another piece of shit like you
BRAAAAP

i'd die for another recording with susan anway

Distant Plastic Trees is still my favorite Magnetic Fields album. Her icy voice was just perfect for it.

The Magnetic Fields have never made an opening track as perfect as Absolutely Cuckoo. Try to prove me wrong.