All the CGI grandeur in the world can't help this Tarzan outrun its uncomfortable, white-savior overtones

>All the CGI grandeur in the world can't help this Tarzan outrun its uncomfortable, white-savior overtones.

>Laden with a significant amount of historical and racial baggage, The Legend of Tarzan proves a dopey adventure film with unremarkable performances and some lousy VFX.

>"The Legend of Tarzan" is sequel, origin story and racially sensitive revisionist history lesson all in one. What it isn't is much fun for anyone who's seen Edgar Rice Burroughs' "ape man" in any of his previous incarnations.

So why are some reviewers going on about skin colour so much? And this great white savior shit?

This character was written decades ago

Popular topic, pandering.
Basically, it's hard to make a living as a writer or critic.

because the good reviewers are all dead, and the new ones can't watch anything and rate it objectively.

Hell, even GoT reviews for the finale were mad that it wasn't "touching on modern day social issues" and was just "fun"

They're mentally ill liberal retards, just they're the kind that write movie reviews.

>Great white savior

wow all summer blockbusters are getting slaughtered these days

>white Tarzan

how did Warner Bros manage to rope up David Yates into this piece of shit? They were going to have him make The Stand after Deathly Hallows, but that never happened. Then they delayed this Tarzan movie for a year to dump it right before Fantastic Beasts. Dude's going to have a bizarre year, with both a guaranteed flop and a guaranteed hit.

>it's okay when GoT does it!

I dont know whether its true or not but rumors are they took him off Tarzan early to start work on Fantastic Beasts

Must have known this was fucked

>literally shilling a shitty disney cartoon.
fucking mouseketeers.

For all things branded racist, this scene really was fucking racist. Literal European goddess saving the filthy brown slaves. But it gets a pass because Dany is muh mother of dragons I suppose

>racially sensitive revisionist history

Bet they NEVER say anything like this when niggers are cast in medieval Europe

>this scene really was fucking racist.

Go ahead and explain that one, user

This is why we need to build a wall

you know Black Knight is a comedy not a historical drama, right?

Yeah.

>Go ahead and explain that one, user
>Literal European goddess saving the filthy brown slaves

That's not explaining how it's racist at all.

>So why are some reviewers going on about skin colour so much?
kek can't wait Hollywood destroying themselves by allowing lefties liberal into.

hollow crown

>uncomfortable, white-savior overtones
Meanwhile on Pandora...

>>Literal European goddess saving the filthy brown slaves

She isnt european, and most of them were the same race as she is: Caucasian.

>Sup Forums trying to defend low RT scores by saying SJWs have invaded RT

It's okay because the white savior gives up his shameful whiteness and thus his disgusting white guilt

>Tarzan as celebrity

What did they mean by this?

I wasnt trying to defend the movie at all, I think it looks shit.

I am just wondering why so many reviewers go on about this character being white so much, especially when it seems to be majority white reviewers.

It gets a pass because it's a girl and not a man

In this Tarzan goes back to England to his manor, and everyone knows of his ability to control animals and being king of the jungle.

You don't understand do you.. he abandons his white heritage to break free of the "mean old white ways"

You should ask them on Twitter or email them then post the results

>BLOCKED

Still doesn't change the fact that he comes in and starts cucking the next-in-line-for-chief's betrothed.

This mindset is a perfect illustration of the over-sensitive retards people are these days.

The books are hilarious. In the first one Tarzan actively hunts and kills black people and is eventually revered by the natives as a white god. In later books he eventually becomes chief of the black people there and then a plantation owner.

>I am just wondering why so many reviewers go on about this character being white so much
You know why...

If it was a black Tarzan wouldn't it be more offensive?I can't understand how the libtard mind works

God, i fuckin hate white people.

Who goes into a theater and throws a bitch fit about white people?

Let's change the role up a bit and say Tarzan is now black.

So portraying a black man as a man-ape is less racist? I'm sure it would go over REALLY well with libtards.

the solution is not making Tarzan at all, it gets people mad and flops hard

Kind of funny, The John Carter books have anti-racist sentiment sprinkled throughout, although maybe Burroughs didn't consider Tarzan racist.

Is John Carter books worth getting into?

It wasn't intentionally racist, but the imagery, out of context, looks like a bunch of fucking cleaning ladies and the guys who deliver my pizza grovelling before a single, very pale, woman. It's easy for some to interpret this imagery as implying her worth alone is greater than the sum total of everyone else in frame.

I know I don't have to spell it out for you, but I thought this would be a good example of how Sup Forums only misconstrues messages to support the idea that film is corrupted by Jews and SJWs, because they want to be victims.

There is 3k comments on that article at IGN & most of them are ripping into the reviewer

A white dude "saving" black folk from other white folk isn't a "pro white movie" it's just another white guilt movie

Brad Pitt saves the black dude in 12 years a slave, is that a white savoir movie?

Dem dumb libruls i tell ya hwat

Its a pulpy adventure series, basically sword-and-sandal in space. I really enjoy them, but its definitely not for everyone.

>this British character in the 19th century isn't black
>fucking white men REEEEEEEE

It was written during Victorian times. The irony is that the intellectuals back then thought they were so enlightened and empathetic towards other races when even the dumbest observer can see they were just being condescending. In the future this is how modern liberals will be seen.

>Given that the Tarzan story is severely outdated, credit must be given to the filmmaking team for attempting to rid the narrative of its problematic themes. Introducing Williams as a prominent secondary character helps, especially since Samuel L. Jackson has the verisimilitude in his performance to both be funny and taken seriously. Although his performance contributes much to the entertainment of the film, he is largely absent from the marketing, which is disappointing to say the least.

>Despite that, the white savior theme runs strong, and in this day and age, it’s a rather uncomfortable thing to watch and fully enjoy. There’s no question that Tarzan and Jane do their best to save the day and a community of Africans from lives of slavery, and we shouldn’t really judge a film in this way. Yet, the imagery from those scenes speak loudly in more ways than they intend. Even while trying to run away from the strong racist undertones of the original story, the white savior aspect is another troubling issue we’re presented with in this film.

>throwing chimp fits over a character with light pigment

What are they on about
Are they complaining because tarzan is white? Wasnt tarzans parents white?
Are the reviewers equating the gorillas with brown people so the movie is racist?
Whats the issue exactly

>"All the CGI grandeur in the world can't help this Tarzan outrun its uncomfortable, white-saviour overtones."
>Game of Thrones is exactly this and has glowing reviews
>fuck critics

bingo we have a winner

>The irony is that the intellectuals back then thought they were so enlightened and empathetic towards other races when even the dumbest observer can see they were just being condescending

Well, you say that with a modern liberal sense of "comfort". Truth is, savages existed, still exist and tip-toeing around trying to avoid being "condescending" isn't going to help anyone.

>This character was written decades ago

They should really just retire Tarzan right now, his story doesn't jive with todays modern values

Its because in this film Tarzan has already left the Jungle years ago but he has to go back and be feral again to stop slavery or something.

i would have expected this shit to flop regardless of libshit reviewers, simply because i can't think of anyone who wants a darker, gritty tarzan remake

>but the imagery, out of context

Racism requires a context, retard.

Besides, it wouldn't be racist to imply that her worth is greater than everyone around her, only when that worth is explicitly linked to her race can you call it racist without being a mentally ill tumblrite.

Whites (the British in particular) literally ended mainstream slavery worldwide and emancipated millions of blacks

>implying it wasn't King Wewuz, leader of the Wuzkang people and white people haven't just changed history to keep the black man down

Everyone I know who saw that film thought that everything about Brad Pitts character was hilarious.
>Can I produce your film?
>Sure as long as I get star billing for showing up for five minutes and being the hero and moral compass.
Near enough pulled the exact same shit in The Big Short too.

Can you people at least admit there's a massive bias against all blockbuster that aren't made by Disney?

Do I deserve a prize for not being a criminal too?

Oh wow, this scene was so beautiful..... I cried the first time I saw it.....

>white people making movies about white people means "white savior"

meaning while, bruce lee beats up a ton of white sailors CONSTANTLY and nobody bats an eye

It's like this: it isn't racist in the sense that black people are bad, it's racist in the sense that it posits that white people are awesome and rise to meet any challenge. There is a trope, common in a lot of adventure stories from this era, where a white child is orphaned in some way and raised by animals or friendly natives. The child grows up to not only thrive but become superior to all around him, including the "primitives" who raised him. In Tarzan's case, it is compounded by his noble lineage: Tarzan isn't only at home in the jungle, he can mingle in high society as Lord Greystoke. Burroughs emphasizes the old idea of "blood will tell," noble Anglo-Saxon blood being superior to all others and allowing the bearer to withstand and conquer any environment.

The reviewers are crying about white people emancipating african slaves in a fictional story when it is actually what happened

It's more than "not being criminal", ending the slave trade required white people (particularly those ghastly old and male ones) to first of all campaign for legislation to make it illegal and secondly to enforce the laws.

Not much has changed in the real world.

Yeah, I never said it was racist. I was just explaining why the other guy probably thought it was because you're so fucking dense, apparently, you need others to draw basic conclusions for you.

What I find amusing about this usthe film actually seemed to be trying to pander to SJWs in the trailer. That line between Jane and Waltz
>Waltz: I want you to scream
>Jane: Like a damsel?
Just sounds weird. I don't know what it'd be like in the movie but it looked like the kinda thing Prince of Persia did where trying to have their cake and eat it to they had the stronk independent womyn character kicking ass showing she don't need no man one moment then having her be fucking useless the next.

But yeah idk it just seemed like another Joss Whedon/Avengers 2 situation where they were trying to appeal to SJWs then cuz they put a foot out of line they get smashed

If I rape your mom and then campaing against rape do I deserve a prize?

Other white people.

>Problematic
There's that word again.

>we shouldn't judge the movie from those scenes
>but let's judge the movie from these scenes.

Fuck a doodle doo.

She's right though.

No, but luckily the two situations aren't at all equivocal.

No but but if someone was keeping you mom as a slave and a specific group outlawed slavery worldwide and used their position as world leaders to enforce that ban don't get mad when people make movies about similar shit

These are the people who got the general critics score of Neighbors 2 up so analysts were surprised that actual audiences thought it was shit and it underperformed.

Same people who will give FemBusters a high average review score.

holy fuck you're dumb

Do we really need to glorify the white man from ending slavery AFTER benefitting from it?

What's the problem? It's historically accurafe.

>It's an "Anti-racists" get it wrong again

These virtue signalling SJWs really need to shut the fuck up. The name Tarzan literally means white/fair skin in the ape language used in the books.

Jesus fucking Christ, talk about 21 year old liberal arts degree kids not knowing what they are talking about as usual. How embarrassing.

Yes. We could have kept it into perpetuity.

10/10
totally got me, familia

Do we really need to keep sympathising with black slaves after their own people sold them in the first place?

The complaints arent that Tarzan is white, its that the plot is "white man is the only one who can stop the genocide in the Congo". Christoph Waltz's villain is based on the real Leon Rom who was King Leopold's representative in the colony. Its insensitive as fuck and way too serious of a topic for the source material

Do we really need to mourn the black man's struggle during slavery AFTER benefitting from it ending due to no longer living in an African shithole?

Like it or not nigger they were the ones who ended slavery.

It wasn't some heroic slave uprising by proud downtrodden blacks against le ebil whitey it was a noble action taken by those who had no reason to do it other than for the good of mankind.

Slavery was far more prevalent in Africa and the middle east than it was in Europe or the Americas despite whatever shit kumba kinte made up propaganda you've grown up with has tricked you into believing

Well the combined "effort" of the black man sure as hell didn't stop it.

All hollywood movies are about white male saviors thats why white people think they are something. When in fact they are the lowest ebb in creation.

It's okay because it came out before these kids went to college

Can we really trust reviews after they shit on BvS? This movie might be good..

Jesus, you literally CANNOT make a summer blockbuster nowadays unless you're Disney, can you? People just innately hate your work because Disney has such a stranglehold on absent-minded quips and boring action.

(((Disney))) owns all the reviewers

I haven't mentioned black people now, so stop right there
Oh, I guess that the ones who were sold didn't suffer after all, right?
That's the same argument that Americunts use
>We spread democracy
No, you don't, you spread whatever ideology better serves your economical interests
Slavery was mainly ended because it was not profittable anymore

The premise is: throw an English aristocrat into the jungle as an infant and he'll grow into a physical paragon and command the allegiance of all the animals (unlike all those underachieving darkies who've been living there for thousands of years).
If you don't see the racism inherent in that construct, you're looking the other way so hard you're likely to pull a muscle.

I'm glad this movie is getting shit on.

Are they trying to compare Gorillas to black people or are they saying that only black people are allowed to be in stories that takes place in Africa?

Talk about someone who hasn't end seen the film and doesn't understand the problems with IT.

It'll swing back again anytime now.
The brexit definetly was a signal that people are getting tired of progressive bullshit. Trump too.

Soon people will turn towards the opposite side. Things like these come and go with the years.