Is it possible to really appreciate jazz without playing it yourself?

Is it possible to really appreciate jazz without playing it yourself?

No, you aren't allowed to listen to any kind of music unless you're a equally skilled player of all instrements.

Dumb AF question. Next....

So stupid. I think playing an instrument in general might make one more appreciative of the improvisation but many of the most prominent jazz critics don't even play an instrument at all

Like who?

Yes, but playing an instrument might make it easier to appreciate or give the listener insights they previously didn't have.

No. Former Jazz bassist here. Before I joined the jazz band, I thought all music with trumpets or saxophones was tired and cheesy, like ska.

This. Same with books, film, and art.
Same with using electricity that you haven't produced, food you haven't harvested, and the home you haven't built.

Nat Hentoff

/thread

Scaruffi

Ok that's one, name 3 more

Scaruffi is embarrassing when it comes to jazz

Adorno.

lmao

the jazz community is full of pretentious fags and old white liberals who won't let the genre move forward because they are still stuck in the past, that being said, yes

you're thinking of baseball

What are you even on about? The majority of jazz musicians are and were black. That of course has nothing to do with the music, but you're just baiting.

dude really? If you must know, google famous jazz critics or something, you'll find quickly that among all the most prominent and respected writers of the time, actually being able to play an instrument (or at least be decent) was the exception not the rule

I think that, as a jazz trumpet player, I have a deeper appreciation for what some of the greats like Gillespie and Elridge are capable of, but that doesn't mean nobody else can appreciate it.

t. John Legend's character in La La Land

He's talking about it's current fans. The only black people that listen to jazz are old people. It's unfortunate, but hip hop and rnb are now the culture of young blacks.

That's sad, but not surprising. Jazz was commercially dead since its departure from swing.

Retarded fucking question but I'll answer anyways. Yes.

underrated posts