So anons does therapy actually work? A lot of my family wants me to try it for my chronic depression...

So anons does therapy actually work? A lot of my family wants me to try it for my chronic depression, but I'm opposed due to the fact that strangers are unable to provide meaningful insight into your life that you couldn't find in a self help book somewhere

But I'm gonna ask strangers lol. Does therapy work before I write it off?

Other urls found in this thread:

webmd.com/depression/features/natural-treatments
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I tried it. All they did was try putting me on meds without actually trying to figure out what the issue really is. Fuck doctors.

9/10 therapists are psychos themselves but if you find a good one it can help.

That sounds like a psychiatrist. Im currently on meds, and it actually really helped with anxiety. Socializing is a breeze now, but on a more personal level I still hate myself and what Ive become. Have you tried like a cognitive therapist

Nah bro they never help, you either have to find something you love or someone you love.

how

A therapists job is to delude you into contentness by any means possible. thats their job. they will dope you up, lie to you, sell you platitudes & propaganda until you get a job. then they dont care.

you decide if thats a good idea

It can, yes. If you go to a decent psychologist who is properly trained to deal with the sort of issues you have, and provides the services you need, it can be a rather helpful move. Psychologists aren't just random people that you talk to out of the blue, psychology classes go very in-depth into examining human behavior, covering a number of psychoses and neurological quirks, it's a much more sophisticated and researched field than most people first think.

The post that THIS user was talking about has to do with Psychiatrists, two very different professions. They both listen to your issues, but here's the primary difference: Psychologists try to give you life advice and personal systems for dealing with your problems. Psychiatrists are authorized to prescribe medication. Both do roughly the same things, and oftentimes you'll find teams of psychologists and psychiatrists who work together with patients in an effort to better help them with their mental issues, but this isn't a guarantee.

I was very lucky to have a very helpful psychologist and psychiatrist when I was younger and had chronic clinical depression. Without their help, I more than likely would have committed suicide. Many people have a misconceived notion about the purpose of psychologists, and granted, there are some "professionals" out there who aren't worth the paper their certification is printed on, but with a little work, you CAN find someone who can help you. It won't be the easiest thing in the world, but it's VERY possible, and people HAVE come out for the better from working with them. People like me.

This. More often than not the only reason they can relate to what you're saying is because they explain it in a way that can be used in pretty much any situation, but it sounds so reasonable people eat the shit right up.

what did they say to change you

You may want to look for a psychologist at a university or something rather than a therapist-down-the-street. The faggot down the street is only interested in your money whereas the guy teaching at a university or something will probably be able to provide actual insight over medications.

Try these first Sup Forumsro

webmd.com/depression/features/natural-treatments

Well, it wasn't them just "saying something" that made it all better. It's a process. For me, it was continual reinforcement that I had friends, family, people who care about me, that helped me with the depression. They asked me to tell me about my friends and family, and reminded me that they were there for me. And that I had friends for a reason. If there are people in your life, that says something about you, and it means that, at the very least, there's people who care enough to stay with you, and that's important.

There were also skill sets and emotional management techniques I'd not been aware of before, like writing things down in journals that triggered negative emotional responses and talking with them about it. "Keep Calm" exercises, like meditative breathing, self-reflection and examination on the successes of my life, refocusing my attention on things that made me feel more worthwhile as a human being.

There is no "magic bullet" type thing that a psychologist can do for you. You're not gonna walk into their office one day, and have them say "Given the last two months of examination, THIS is what will fix you." The mind isn't a switch box, you can't simply press a button and be done with it, it takes time, effort, energy, and practice to train your brain to think about yourself differently. I learned all of this from my psychologist, and he was skilled enough to help me with what I needed. If you find one that you can connect with and that's trained for what you need, they CAN do the same for you.

sounds like you weren't clinically depressed, you just wanted attention and someone to listen to you whine

i'm glad you didn't kill yourself but even just saying that makes me think you're a little bitch, bro.

no offense but the brain is meant to be able to perform therapy on itself. people like you are making our gene pool weak and inferior

no offense. don't kill yourself. i'm not a bully just an observer. maybe i'm jealous i can't get the same kind of help you can, but since i can't i man up and try to fix myself rather than crying to some overpaid cunts.

I was told I got diagnosed with depression on Wednesday. I have NOS. I guess it kind of makes senses since I literally don't enjoy anything and I'm sad a lot

Maybe you're right. Maybe you're wrong. I've had a great many people diagnose me with the same thing over and over again, and I'm more inclined to believe the professionals then some random person on Sup Forums, but hey. If needing attention and someone to "listen to me whine" is what I needed to get on with my life and make something of myself, then what's the problem? I still get depressed, I still have trouble at times, but now I have ways of dealing with it. I really do suggest you at least try to talk to a psychologist about your problems. Worst comes to worst, after a couple sessions, you decide you don't like the guy, you can always just stop going. You're under no obligation to keep showing up if you don't feel like they're helping. But these options exist for a reason, and you're only cheating yourself if you don't at least give them a try.

>the brain is meant to be able to perform therapy on itself.
I honestly have no idea where you got this information from, but even if this IS true, that's kinda the point of a neurological disorder, the brain not being able to function properly. There's a myriad of ways that the brain can break over the years, and there's nothing wrong with asking for help with putting it back together.

And hey, if you're right, take solace in the fact that I have no intention of procreating. With all the genetic defects I already have, in all honesty, it would just be cruel of me to bring a child into this world.

Depends what kind. It usually just gives you tools to cope, there is no cure, as you know. But it does become bearable

Therapy and talking to a psychologist could help identify the issues within yourself that could be fueling those issues.
I see a psychiatrist who also does therapy and I think that is the ideal combination. Because you might also benefit from 10mg of Prozac, or any other common SSRIs (you don't sound like you need to be drugged into oblivion)

It could just be a phase, unless its chronic. Stay positive in any case

Magic mushrooms work 100% for me.

I had major chronic depression for year then i tried magic mushrooms and it got a whole lot better

Fuck ya it does. Real quick. 6 hours and youre fuckin happy and grateful again.

Dont do this, its a gamble. If you have a comorbid disorder (depends which one), or possibly bipolar, hallucinogens CAN make things go worse, and in the worst case make new symptoms pop out.

This is incorrect info. Im bipolar as fuck. Doesnt "bring" it out. If your schizo or have a family history of being schizo i wouldnt recommend shrooms. Otherwise i say take them. 3.5g and heal yourseld Op

Theyre not called "hallucingens" bro they are called psychedelics with the literal translation being "mind manifesting". Literally means it makes you see through all the bullshit life has. Suck on that buddy.

this
didnt read
this

im where you are now op
you feel that way simply becuase the dopamine lvls in your brain are low
(its that simple) when you raise them ull feel good , and not depressed

>examples.....
jerk off 1st thing in the morning to start your day on a good note.

The mushroom thing will also work

DONT , see a fucking doctor they want to keep you sick , not healthy
and fuck your family too if they are sudgestiong doctors they are already brainwashed and will be of no help to you

>does therapy actually work?
yes.

Pretty much this... except the jerking off thing can start being used as an addiction and can become a disorder later. I would also recommend 1 hour of exercise bro. Shit will help you TONS! And get rid of your manboobs.

>time, the guardian
>reliable sources
>choose one