How the fck do you deal with the reality that 99.9% of people act only in self-interest

How the fck do you deal with the reality that 99.9% of people act only in self-interest

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JBZ2eHpth2s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Change yourself so you don't act only in self interest and then surround yourself with people who don't act in self interest as well. There are a lot more people out there than you think who don't act in self interest.

Fuck thzm in the pussysz

what's your definition of self-interest?

I wouldn't consider people that start families to be altruistic for example. Ultimately they are just escaping the loneliness too

really easily? Why should they not?

Mainly people who surround themselves with self-destructive influences (e.g. drugs, sex, alcohol, scapegoating, escapism). And I agree with your point on families.

that's a fair definition

damn it I'm still so caught up on this though. For example I'm getting into spirituality and shit, but who's to say that that's not "escapism" or acting in self-interest?

I just believe that life would be so much better if people were allowed to be honest with their thoughts and feelings to anyone that they meet, and then those people would try to help the sufferers in any way they can. The world would be so much better if people just realized the beauty of human interaction

everyone acts in self interest in everything they do,

take someone doing something selfless to someone else, they are doing it because they enjoy helping other

why don't you stop giving a fuck about other people and just try and improve your own life

that kind of idealism rapidly breaks down after the point when you realize there's an infinite number of people who'd be glad to take whatever you give them, and a limited number of fucks to give.

Well, what do you want to do by going into faith? Just because you're going into faith doesn't mean that you're 'giving up' on man. You can help those around you with the knowledge that you learn from faith and use it to convert those around you. I've done some convincing and advice giving too because of what I've learned from it.

And you can't get out of not doing something in self-interest. Doing a hobby is in self-interest. Walking your dog is in self-interest. Its in your self interest to help others, so as long as you're doing something productive with your interest, it's fine.

Buy one of these and be the man.

youtube.com/watch?v=JBZ2eHpth2s

>why don't you stop giving a fuck about other people and just try and improve your own life

that's precisely my conundrum, what fucking reason do I have to improve "my own" life. What fuckng gives me the right to lay claim to this vessel of autonomy and improve it for my own enjoyment and not the improvement of humanity as a whole.

If you want to help those around you to get them away from their self-absorbed nature, you have to first improve yourself to do it. You can't leave yourself unfixed and expect to give good advise to help those who are around you. If you truly hate the current state of the world and wish to better it, then you would help out with those around you to make the changes that you wish to make.

>boo hoo no one is doing things for me when i do jack shit for no one else

Jesus you're retarded, if people are acting in self interest, don't you think it would be in their own best interest to not outwardly express that that's what they're doing?

because less than half of what other people believe will ever be even remotely compatible with what you believe (no matter what it is), by definition most of the species will be an excruciating disappointment every day until the day you die

Discriminate. Help only those of value to you. Don't lift a pinky when the rest burn.

You don't deal, you accept and move on with that knowledge as a constant reason for why you should do the same yet slowly make the changes you wish to see. You can't change the world and there's no reason to try, the best you can do is offer influence; to lead by example, and not expect a result but hope for one even if there never is one.

You do know that acting out of self-interest is based upon the state of your mind, and it is reflected in your outward appearance, right?

An apple can say it's a banana, but in reality, it's a fucking apple because of it's appearance.

Most self-destructive people let their flaws reflect in their own personal outlook. No fucking shit if you ask them if something's wrong they're not going to say anything. Are you retarded enough to believe that self-destructive people can't be weeded out with just a couple questions on their morality as well as a quick glance on their appearance? Because if not, then you know jack shit about appearance and their intended reflections.

>Well, what do you want to do by going into faith? Just because you're going into faith doesn't mean that you're 'giving up' on man.

Ultimately I'm of the opinion that art is the greatest form of human production because of its spiritual and moral ability, essentially art is "meme-ing" at its most meaningful.

I keep a journal regularly of my thoughts, of stream-of-consciousness, of the media and artforms that I consume.

But how does what I do actually AFFECT existence in any tangible way? Do I even have to affect existence for my way of life to be meaningful? Ugh, I'm just so disgusted with all this pseudo-philosophical bullshit. I have no desire to be materially successful (aside from just making a living) but I have no idea how to even go about affecting people in a tangible way.

you realize that sometimes you're part of their self-interest.

People aren't fruit, if I said you're a great person but I secretly am thinking you're a faggot who likes to bicker about shit just to feel like you have a valid opinion, would you know?

You don't need a statistical chart to tell you how much you're worth. Hell, if you are seeking out something like that, then just stop now and reevaluate yourself. What you're speaking right now is existentialism, and that will just lead you to a rabbit hole that leads straight to hell. That's something you don't want to cross over.

No one knows how meaningful their life is from their own perspective. Your meaningfulness isn't how many facebook friends you have, or how popular your song is in the country. Hell, some of the best kinds of art aren't well known, as it adds to their interest on why they're not popular as of yet.

Like I said before, I like giving advice. I use that as my method of knowing that I'm doing change in the world. If you need to go on a large scale with your works, then go ahead. Work hard and make sure that you succeed. If you want to go on a route and help people who you believe that are self-loathing, then go on that route as well. You are only going to hate yourself if you don't take some kind of leap of faith and just pick a path. You can even pick both paths, if you really want to. It's up to you.

It was an analogy, you fucking moron. Do you really believe that you need to take the time to type up to acknowledge the fact that people aren't fruit? Do you really believe that I don't know that?

And are you saying that people now have the amazing ability to read fucking minds? Are you really this stupid? I said that you can judge their outward appearance and personality to get a good grasp on their opinions, which can take all of three minutes to do.

great, so I have to realize that I'm just a tool for others to feel good about their own selfish thoughts, how delightful

I've been doing some thinking and I believe that since the internet is the greatest method for reaching the largest amount of people in a meaningful way (not to use an ad populum fallacy, but quality of the intellectual transaction is just as important), it may be a good idea to dedicate the next portion of my life to learning about the best way to reach those people. Since I'm not very good at creating art myself, it may be good to expose others to inspirational art.

What do you think guys?

Drugs?

Ok, now you're just responding because you don't like being shut down.

And I like to shitpost as well.

You can't ignore that fact.

thanks, you make a lot of sense. You're right about the most inspirational art (and sometimes the most difficult to comprehend) is usually the least popular. That's another annoying pill to swallow.

There is literally nothing wrong with that

Mhmm, and if you're having trouble with finding your faith, you can try looking at Christian YouTubers who give their own outlook on life. I'd advise Common Filth or John Pastor Manning. They'll put you on the right track.

If you're opposed to people acting in their own self-interest you should know what alternative interest you would rather them act towards. To act towards no interest is even worst than the self-interest.
Would you rather people work towards the interest of the family, community, nation, their cat? There are people who would work towards the interests of another person; a parent to a child, a husband to a wife, a nazi to hitler.
Someone has to work towards the interests of something, or else they would just be a unreactive zombie. It's easier to act towards your own interest because it is more prevalent to you.
When people are rational and are aware that people also have their own interest they can work together, possibly make a compromise, in order to achieve their own self-interest. This is a the basis of Capitalism

Change your focus on the .1% that don't suck.

it may be idealism but surely there's a way to teach the next generation of children to be more introspective and critical thinkers.

That's another thing, the modern educational system pisses me the fuck off. It has nothing to do with genuine self-discovery.

Sorry buddy, altruism doesn't exist.

Nobody has ever made a decision that they didn't think would benefit them in some way, that's not how the mind works.

And if you're asking how to cope with the fact that people only care about themselves, there's plenty of people who value the happiness of others more than their own. Go find some.

>ing trouble with finding your faith, you can try looking at Christian YouTubers who give their own outlook on life. I'd advise Common Filth or John Pastor Manning. They'll put you on the right track.

I was raised orthodox christian actually but I don't identify as Christian anymore, although perhaps you could call me one of those atheist Christians (believe more in reincarnation actually). I appreciate the altruistic aspects of it and once you get its message the onus is on you to follow through on it.

It depends on our working definitions of altruism I suppose; for example I would consider the aspects of having the bare necessities to live to outside the realm of altruism. Because we can't really help anyone until we ensure our own survival, and the problem with modern civilization is its adoption of hedonistic aspects of capitalism. All civilizations are inherently unstable of course, but we are either heading towards self-sufficiency or complete destruction. Once we somehow reach self-sufficiency, the true nature of civilization will become obsolete, in favor of self-actualization.

I've misread your question, ignore me.

Literally 100 percent of people act in self-interest.

A firefighter running into a burning building to save a child? He's doing it to be heroic. His own self-worth would be damaged if he didn't. He would live with the choice of being a coward instead of saving a life evey day. In the end the child might be saved, but the firefighter was doing it for himself, to feel good and be a hero.

The priest who gives up everything and goes to Africa and does charity work every day and feeds the poor and houses the needy. He does this for himself. To feel good about himself. To ensure his personal salvation.

A soldier jumping on a grenade. In HIS mind he would have to live with letting his friends die. Yes, he IS brave, but he jumped on it because if he DIDNT he would feel guilty.

Now realize, that you need to harden the fuck up. Make yourself into a better person. Act in your own self interest but in a way that makes you someone who helps other while helping yourself. Don't be a cowardly little piss bottle autistic fuck. Or go cry in the corner because "muh pointlessness of life". Bitch.

I fundamentally don't agree, although I do agree that the vast majority of people act in self-interest.

I believe in the existence of a state of mind that lies completely outside the realm of self-interest, a stream-of-consciousness, a certain spirituality if you will. It is up to us to discover the benefits of such a state of mind for the benefit of all, to be more connected to the bigger picture.

You're right, it does depend on our definition of Altruism

OKay, I do agree with you there, although neither of the definitions really hit the core of what I'm going for.

Maybe altruism is not the right word to use in this conversation. When I talk about selflessness I don't mean the true type of selflessness that is sacrificing your physical body for someone else. I believe that one should only sacrifice himself for someone else if he believes that the other person has the capability of impacting the world more than himself.

For example, I believe sacrificing your life for a stranger's to be nonsensical, and I wouldn't sacrifice my life for a family member either (unless that family member is my own son or daughter that I know I have already passed on most of my knowledge to).