/daily/ - "slsk villains" edition

It's such a beautiful day.

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TgmkWGPAs90
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>mfw someone makes a /daily/ thread

>tfw you try to slap together a /daily/ edit of an album you want to meme but someone creates the thread first
baka wasted 2 minutes on this shit

take your time to perfect this edit for the next thread

thanks for using my op, nat-poo

wuv u ;0

>Tfw you post reviews right as the thread dies

Where to next guys?

This is a great one

Krishnanda!

no.

mebbe check out Bad Brains Black Dots if you want a bit less reggae, it was recorded in '79 and I prefer it to their debut

and don't worry Flipper are boring as a fan of noise rock

Do Flynt and The Kinks pls

i'll be back

use that ish next thread

that is a true high quality edit there

thanks for reminding me I need to listen to that album
never gets old
BTFlipO

Just repost, I do it all the time.

You have to walk 45 mins to a small canadian brewery and drink 2 overpriced beers with me if you want the answer to that question.

Glad that someone agrees with me on Flipper, didn't like it too much. Oh well

Oh I forgot I was gonna do Flynt soon, my bad. I'll definitely scope those two out next. Also, I'll have to look into that Bad Brains album soon, cause I dug the debut much more than I was expecting.

Just listened to that Women album btw, managed to piss on my headphone cable while doing so

opinions coming soon probably

wew trip drop

and they have to not have in stock that one beer you wanted to try

no idea what to dig into next after I've done this chart, the eternal struggle of going deep into a genre or having a wide range goes on

also staying in and listening to music while drinking on your own ain't bad

how do i ever match that edit tho

thanks pals

>managed to piss on my headphone cable while doing so
excuse me

in case you were wondering

pretty sure i've asked this ages ago but does anyone know anything that sounds like this/the sample he's using?
youtube.com/watch?v=TgmkWGPAs90
the rest of his music is boring and he mentioned vietnam in an interview once but I've yet to hear something that similar

don't you just love it when you get an urge to listen to the ark work and you will not be satisfied until you quench this thirst

he was probably listening to it with headphones, his phone in his pocket, went to take a piss and the cable got in the way
t. someone who's had some close calls

What have you been listening to?

Jacques Brel is great, I'm also digging Scott Walker. I also listened to Brainticket and The White Noise; the gimmicks were interesting but overall they're not really my thing.

>What have you been listening to?
i've had Sophie, Amnesia Scanner, and Andy Stott on repeat recently
Also embraced my culture and started getting into reggaeton proper

A lot of soul and hip hop, Curtis Mayfield has been getting a lot of play.

I need to revisit Jacques Brel and give Walker a go soon. I'm gonna check out Brainticket too, all the people complaining about repetition piques my interest

whooollle lotta 50s bop, shamefully inspired by the fact that i'm reading On the Road, and even then i'm a poser b/c it takes place in the 40s

what yamir said

Astral Weeks, Ujubasajuba, Hüsker Dü, early Modest Mouse, just listened to Public Strain

what does the ark work sound like?

>started getting into reggaeton proper
best idea of your life.

lately? bill wells, jake tobin, owen pallett

but im always listening to those guys

It's certainly forward thinking and strange, but Cottonwoodhillis two great weird psych tracks followed by twenty minutes of one guitar and piano riff with some found sounds randomly coming in. And the singer has some annoying orgasmic moaning vocals about sex and occultism.

feel like I might have asked you this already recently but have you listened to the later Husker Du records? no one in here seems to have but I think they're still great records

>annoying orgasmic moaning
oh well.
what songs have used orgasmic moaning without sounding shit? Curtis Mayfield's Get Down is the only one I can think of

this album is great. "do while" is peak long car ride music. i feel like a lot of modern electronic artists try to achieve a glitchy sound like this but it's not executed nearly as well. "shop in store" is particularly noteworthy, what a fuckin cool track.

whats some good amnesia scanner stuff outside rig hook

I only got as far as Flip Your Wig and decided I did not like the direction

Still plan on listening to Candy Apply Grey and Warehouses at some point tho

nyar rec pls

iktf, i've had many close calls but only with cheap earbuds

you def should sometime since you're such a fan. they're more poppy and the production is a bit weird and tinny (a lot would say shit but I dig it). tracks like I Don't Wanna Know If You Are Lonely are worthwhile anyway

>The Beach Boys - Sunflower

It was alright. I'm not really sure if I don't love Beach Boys anymore or if this is just a weaker album of theirs. Wasn't necessarily "bad" but felt pretty average

3/5

>Lula Côrtes e Zé Ramalho - Paêbirú

Very trippy sounding, but nothing extremely exceptional. It's pretty unique though.

^Shitty short review, don't really know what to say about it.

3/5

Shit

>Lula Côrtes e Zé Ramalho - Paêbirú
*3.5/5
*3.5/5
*3.5/5

B U L G A R I A
T
U
V
A

Depends on who you ask
For me it's an amazing concept attempting to blend electronic music, classical and black metal all into one big transcendental masterpiece. It rarely clicks in perfectly but when it does boy it's amazing. It's badly mixed and theres some seriously obvious fuckups that can be spotted even if you dont know anything about mixing, and in general it's such a crazy idea that it's hard to always get it to work, which leaves you with weaker tracks.

After playero 37 i was never the same

as truth mixtape

:^/

meme country

all i wanna do is a really special song

that definitely sounds interesting ill check it out

I don't think anyone cares enough for Bulgaria for it to be a meme.

Tuva is not a country.

>mfw people say Purposeful Lady Slow Afternoon is about rape

also this show is great

>nyar rec pls
tempted to do another screw tape but pic related is my choice

good album

best movie

Oh that's a great choice, definitely seems like your style

Is that really one of your favorites? Good movie but I'm not even sure if that's one of Wes' best

yeh for sure. I can understand why so many people hate it, but it's a perfect movie to me.

Yeah, I can see why people love it, it just felt boring to me compared to his other stuff. Probably my second least favorite aside from Darjeeling honestly

Does the rest of /daily/ like Wes Anderson? Seems like he'd be a director most people here wouldn't like

Life aquatic is pretty wonderful, but I dunno about it being my favorite. the ensemble cast of tenenbaums and max from rushmore are so terrific. I can't pick a favorite wes.

>St Elsewhere
It's obvious that Gnarls Barkley is good at singing, and Danger Mouse is good at producing. It's just that the end result sounds a bit in-authentic. I guess that you have to try extra hard to sound genuine when you attempt to replicate a genre of music as "raw" as soul and gospel.

>Noctourniquet
Mars Volta and co. drop their technical prowess and instrumental quirks for a more straightforward sound, as they focus more on building atmosphere. Not gonna lie their charm is lost here. Part of the fun of their previous works were reveling in how they were able to create familiar sounding and catchy melodies out of some ridiculously complex songwriting (with extravagant time signatures).

>Another Reason To Fast
eh

>some title in (spanish?) it's a Satan album
It's pretty good. I liked how the instrumentals sound as if they were lifted from a slowcore/post-rock track, then revved up to a million. Reminds me of Deathspell Omega. Could use more variety.

>Parson Sound
I came in expecting Swedish LRD. What I got instead was some okay psych rock with excellent pacing and atmosphere. Not every idea here is a keeper (especially when a particular motif -literally- drones on for nearly half an hour), but as a whole this album is solid.

>I Hate Jazz
I don't know how this is so good. Really, I don't. This should be another bandcamp garage band to throw into the "boring shit" pile, except that it's not. This shit goes pretty hard.

Oh and this was used surprisingly well in Steven Universe. Allow me to save face:

1). I know it's shit. I only watch the show because it's fun and """"cute""""
2). I gave Andrei Rublev a great score, and it might even be in in my top 15

>Andrei Rublev
I really liked this film. Like, alot. I can't formulate any sort of intellectual thought in my brain at the moment (or possibly at all) so i'll stop here.

>tfw you finally realize that you listen to bach and watch tarkovsky films because you're in denial over how stupid you might be

Hey /daily/, I heard you like films
Anything coming out this year you want to see?

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely enjoy Bach and Tarkovsky

I Kill Giants
Dunkirk looks promising

i like cinema... not sure what these "films" are :Y

Yeah Parson Sound is so damn good. I'm willing to forgive the lengthiness purely for the atmosphere that it presents.

Also who /hype/ for new Twin Peaks? I finally managed to finish season 2 without killing myself and watched Fire Walk With Me.
How people can maintain that the actual finale of s2 is better than FWWM is beyond me. The finale wasn't good at all. Just cliffhanger bait.

We only watch kino here, sorry

Thank you
I hoped you would be better than Sup Forums

I'm really bad at paying attention to movies. But I still want to see Get Out. Maybe the new Blade Runner but I feel like I'll probably be disappointed

So hyped for the new Twin Peaks, I just finished it this summer. Definitely one of the best shows I've seen and it got me heavy into David Lynch. I haven't seen Fire Walk With Me but I've been meaning to honestly

Watch the Q2 cut of FWWM, it's much better

For sure. Do you know if it's on Soulseek? I'll see if I can download it over the weekend

It might be? Computer is fucked so I can't check. It's easy to find regardless.

Have you seen his other films yet?

How long is it? It may be the one I watched

sicc

song to song

>just listened to Public Strain
noice noice noice onion when

I've only seen Grand Budapest and Fantastic Mr Fox but I love them, I've watched Fantastic Mr Fox so many times.

not that hype but I'm gonna watch it and I'm gonna rewatch the original series beforehand, I really didn't get too into Twin Peaks tho, it's okay but the soap opera/murder mystery felt a bit generic and there wasn't enough weirdness for it to be subversive or really interesting to me. It's been a while though so don't kill me for that opinion, I'm rewatching it soon

on the subject of TV, caught the latest ep of Walking Dead for some reason after leaving it at S2, holy shit that show managed to get even worse

About three and a half hours

I think that's a perfectly legit opinion to have. Honestly just watch season 1 and maybe read a recap of season 2 shits seriously so bad (at least the second half there's some good stuff in the first half)

oh shit lol I heard there were rumors of a directors cut but I guess I didn't look hard enough at all

I honestly enjoy all of it, the dumb filler is relaxing even if it is pointless and silly

Yeah, I'm on mobile so that's why I was checking. No big, I'll check tomorrow.

Yeah I've gone through his big films in the past year or so. Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway and I just saw Inland Empire lately. I think I'm missing one but I haven't been disappointed so far

shit onions before i crash
>Ichiko Aoba - 0
I don't get it. Her voice and guitar playing is pleasant but it's a bit simple for how long the songs are. I'd understand if I knew what she was saying but what's the point in a simple folk record like this without interesting lyrics? Not meaning to shit on it because it is nice but yeah. 2.5/5

>Kjarkas - Canto a la mujer de mi pueblo
Vocals were okay but the instrumentals were cool. Nice style of folk. 3.5/5

nah i'm gonna rewatch all of it, will be with my brother who's seen no Twin Peaks. I think my opinion from my first watch is worse than it should be anyway, mainly because i was so disappointed, I'd heard it was weird and it was my first exposure to Lynch so I had really high expectations.

His early short The Alphabet is pretty good too

ታፈሰ ተስፋዬ - Zemana Getem Derasi (1996)
>ethiopian church music

As I was listening to this, it /really/ grew on me. It's absolutely repetitive, probably one of the more repetitive albums I've heard, and that didn't sit well with me, but around the end of the albums its hypnotic characteristics really took a hold of me. Like triangle mentioned, every single song here is in one key while making usage of the same chord, and it's impressive how much is drawn out from this incredibly limited pallette of sound. The instrument used is really interesting, and the vocals are incredibly homely and inviting. The main draw of this is just how enveloping, warm, and comfortable it is. The repetitive nature of it kind of lulls you and makes you really familiar with it's sound, and while it may get old, it's just so darned pleasant to really even care about that. Cool stuff, pleasantly surprised me.

3.0-

>Does the rest of /daily/ like Wes Anderson?
he's awesome, i love directors that have a very distinct style and he manages to combine that style with really great writing and characters. he could really easily go style over substance but he never does.

I don't even mind some of the silly subplots, I just found a lot of it to be a real bore, and I didn't like Windom Earle at all.

Eraserhead is fantastic, you gotta check that one out too.

Oh yeah it's not even close to Lynch's best and weirdest, though I think his surreal stuff being reeled in by Frost has its merits too.

Also, to defend Ichiko Aoba a bit, I find that her melodies are solid enough to keep me engaged despite the song length, and you could always look up the lyrics. I wouldn't say not knowing what she's saying is a fair criticism.
Though I haven't listened to 0 yet, only 0%.

good friend rodriguez recs:
>Patty Waters - Sings (1966)
While the second half was a VERY interesting listen, the first half really did nothing for me. I appreciate its experimentation and influence, but outside of the strange vocalizations on "Black...", there was not much to keep my interest. Bonus points for originality.

!wmxP/NHJxA recs:
>Nurse With Wound - Chance Meeting on a Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella (1979)
The atmosphere at certain parts is impeccable, and track 2 was especially great. The weird moaning vocals were extremely annoying though; good thing they only lasted a couple minutes. However a lot of this is just unimpressive improv noodling, but it does have some astounding moments.

I'M FISH recs:
>Elliott Smith - XO (1998)
The first half rivals some of the best stuff from Either/Or, Smith's best record in my opinion. Waltz #2 is definitely in my top 5 tracks of his I've heard. However it really falls off around track 6 or 7 and unfortunately doesn't recover.

Rudi recs:
>John Coltrane - Sun Ship (1971)
This was pretty dang fun avant-garde jazz. It's Coltrane, not much to say. Not his best, but still very good.

that's a pretty "bad" rating my dude

Preoccupations - Preoccupations (2016)
>post-punk

This has the same problem as their first album, everything just blends together in a really grey, really singular mush of sound. One thing that Women was really good at was hiding very obvious and delectable melodies under some more muddy washes of sound, while Preoccupations really only has the washes of sound. Sometimes it's done well, like on the wonderfully dark opener "Anxiety", but other tracks have no defining characteristics at all. It's one thing to focus on mood over songwriting, but these guys almost nearly completely eschew songwriting in favor of creating a dark atmosphere. They definitely achieve that goal, but in doing so they sacrifice /so/ much.

2.0+

yeah, the second half of XO is definitely markedly worse than the first. "Amity" is probably the only track of his i downright /hate/. but the first half has "Waltz #2" and "Tomorrow Tomorrow" so y'know can't fault it too much, even if it's probably my least favorite of his.

How do I into Jazz

listen to Poinciana

Check out the essentials first
The Sup Forumscore chart has them all
You can also read that chart JTG made about the history of jazz and all

FlyingIceWizard recs:

Ornette Coleman - Science Fiction (1972)
>free jazz, avant-garde jazz

Very big indicator of the more fusion-based style Coleman would take on after this album's release. While it's interesting to hear experiments with electric violins and vocals, the fusion tracks are generally my least favorite tracks here. They seem kinda clumsy, like they're trying too hard to balance Coleman's very free style of playing and composition with more streamlined, structured, nearly "poppy" elements, and it doesn't always work. The vocals are great on their own, but the structure of the tracks they appear on are generally unappealing. The straight-up free tracks are definitely great though. Coleman's playing is as stream-of-consciousness as ever, the drumming is frenetic, and the bass work by Charlie Haden is /exceptional/, probably my favorite part of the album. It does a rising and falling thing on a few tracks and it's one of the coolest bass effects I've ever heard, and the pace of it indicates a very obvious influence from rock bass playing, which gives a little bit of a fusion vibe without ever fully crossing over into that territory. There are definitely some things I don't like about this album, but as a whole it's another very good album from Coleman.

In another close victory, stick moves on!

Tune in soon for the final battle of Stick vs. Nyar!!!

Got a little drunker than I was hoping and my friends are dragging me to a pregame I really don't want to go to. Wish me luck.

I'll have to check this out! I need to scope out more short films t b h

Yeah I love Andersons movies, I just feel like most of /daily/ wouldn't like someone who was more about style than substance. I could care less though, I really dig his stuff

That's the one I was forgetting! Actually made me incredibly anxious. I think the big movie of his I haven't seen is Elephant Man?

Do the Mayfield soon!

Dude, I just heard this for the first time like last month and it blew me away. The drumming is tight as hell and I love all the vocals, which I usually hate in jazz. Ornette is slowly becoming one of my favorites

the drumming is s i c c, higgins and blackwell are probably two of my fav drummers ever.

interesting tidbit from an ethnomusicology teacher: "I think this instrument is a begena, a 10-stringed plucked instrument that vibrates because of this leather strip down by the bridge. It's typically used in Ethiopian church music."

oh, cool. it's a really nice sounding instrument.

fukkkk dude lcw is so goood

...lonesome crowded west? damn right!

>Anthony Braxton - Seven Compositions (Trio) 1989

Pretty good, reminded me a lot of Pakistani Pomade, an album which I gave a 5/5. I love the rapid percussion shit they do throughout this. Only downside is that it started to lose my attention later on.

4/5

>The Beatles - Abbey Road

I liked Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band better than this, and I don't see how this is more popular than Sgt. Pepper, but this was still good. None of the songs were extremely noteworthy or exceptional though, it was more like consistently good, but never amazing.

3.5/5

I'm not a star, somebody lied, I got a pistol in the car, a 45
If I'd die today, remember me like John Lennon
Bury the Louis, I'm talkin all brown linen
Make all of my bitches tattoo my logo on they titty
Put a statue of a nigga in the middle of the city

Dead Can Dance - Within the Realm of a Dying Sun (1987)
>neoclassical darkwave

Totally scratches that 2007-era RuneScape music itch I've had since elementary school, not gonna lie. Some cool synth moves here and there, and the atmospheres nice and all, but most of this is Cheesy with a capital 'c'. It's just so damn overblown. The melodies are very """epic""", the choral vocals are hilarious, and the regular vocals are very much in that emotional whisper style that tries to convey emotion but fails at it. It's a decent album, and certainly not a bad one, but for how much it's touted as a masterpiece despite being an okay synth excursion that evokes the album cover less than it evokes '90s RPGs, very disappointing.

2.0+

rec me something fun thats on spotify pls

dsihmans isn'ton so lcw

:thinking:

what

J.J. Cale - Naturally

hey fish what're ya drinkin

BOTTLEA WINE + FOUR LOKK COOLLEGE WEW

HOO LIKES FISHMANS

this makes me wanna drink just to see my drunk posts

Good morning /daily/!

Had a lovely date with gf last night. Finished up with watching Naked Gun, so that's always a huge plus.

I'll probably listen to the new zeitkratzer album today. Maybe something else.