I'm new to hip hop, but i don't even know how to listen to it. am i supposed to focus on the sound/melodies or lyrics?

i'm new to hip hop, but i don't even know how to listen to it. am i supposed to focus on the sound/melodies or lyrics?

i'm listening to pic related and i wonder if i'm listening to it correctly, because musically speaking is abysmal

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i37OxPtzcV8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

if you dont like it then dont listen to it lol

36 Chambers is not a good album. Most, if not all, "classic" hip-hop albums have aged horribly.

What kind of music do you listen to where you only have to focus on one part of it?

just listen to what sounds good to you. good lyricism is just a bonus.

If you wanna get into old-school hip-hop listen to this. If you don't like it maybe you should try a different genre.

so your'e saying that peple love that classic for how it sounds? is the entire world trolling me? What's remotely interesting about that sound? A lazy loop and nothing else. Again, i hope i'm missing something...

If you don't understand what's appealing about a loop then I wouldn't pretend to know music if I were you.

HOLY SHIT FINALLY SOMEONE SAID IT

I agree on the part that it didn't age well but I'd say it's still a good Album

High energy vocal performances
Dirty, grimy production
Catchy choruses
Entertaining lyrics
Surprisingly emotional and honest

Try liquid swords. What do you usually listen too? I never really listened to hip hop until good kid maad city

If you don't like loops just give up on 90s hip-hop now

focus on the music and if you don't like it don't fucking listen to it you gigantic faggot

Thai is now a classic hip hop albums that aged well thread

This*

wtf are you even talking about? why don't you try articulating your thoughts more so that people can take you seriously fucking troll

This

The gold standard for utilizing hip hop in experimental music.

Not OP, but would you still recommend Liquid Swords to somebody that thought 36 Chambers was only a 6/10?
I was thinking of picking it up, considering it's only $5.

It's chill 36 Chambers

Incorrect.

Dubs confirm truth

if you thought 36 chambers was 6/10 try RETURN to 36 chambers Dirty version.. if you don't like that then give up on hip hop

Liquid Swords is probably the best 90s NY hip hop album but most people won't admit it.

Same guy; I like hip hop as a whole. Love ATCQ, MF DOOM, Illmatic, etc. Just wasn't big on 36. I'll try Return, though.

He is pretty clear about what he is trying to say. Using buzzwords is not an argument btw

DO YOU WANT TO GET YOUR TEETH KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT? WANNA GET ON IT LIKE THAT, WELL THEN JUST SHOUT!

>Most, if not all, "classic" hip-hop albums have aged horribly.
that statement itself doesn't really make sense. an album wouldn't be considered classic unless it had aged well over many years and people still enjoy it. being contrarian for the sake of it is not an argument either

BLAOW! NOW IT'S ALL OVER
NIGGAS SEEING PINK HEARTS YELLOW MOONS ORANGE STARS AND GREEN CLOVERS

can you imagine what this recording session must have been like in RZA's mom's basement? I don't think a cat with my complexion would have made it out
youtube.com/watch?v=i37OxPtzcV8

LIFE OF A DRUG DEALA

>I came on my momma's pussy, I'm on welfare
What did he mean by this?

There is no right answer man. Some people listen for the beats, in which case they tend to find producers they like and listen to instrumentals and albums said producers have worked on

Some people prefer good lyrics or rhymes, and tend to listen to lyric focused MCs

Whatever works for you man. I'd honestly try something mainstream but good like pic related.
It's got one of the greatest hip hop producers ever paired with Freddie Gibbs who goes fucking hard on it.

Also try Madvillainy, GKMC, Acid Rap, College Dropout. Those are all really accessible and pretty good.

forgot pic

>I came OUT** my momma's pussy, I'm on welfare
>26 years, and I am still on welfare
He means that he comes from extremely poor socioeconomic status from the moment of his birth. At the time of that recording he was 26 and still on the welfare system despite being part of a successful rap group.

This got me heavily into hip-hop. Maybe try it, OP.

What are you talking about you dont know how to listen? Use your sensory apparatus? Nod your head and jump around. I swear u guys are trying way too hard. Your goal is to be admired as the most intellectual music listener of all time? WHYYY?

If you dont like it try some other hip hop? Stop giving a fuck about what others think of your music preferences. You dont have to like this

THAT'S WHY I GOTTA GET PAAAAAAAAIIIIIDDDDD FULLY
WHETHER IT IS TRUTHFULLY OR UNTRUTHFULLY

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN
THE OLD DIRTY DOGGY
I MEAN