I've always wanted to take care of an aquarium. I know how, honestly...

I've always wanted to take care of an aquarium. I know how, honestly. I've taken care of little five and ten gallon tanks before, but those were all really high maintenance due to needing filter and water changes twice a week.

My problem is this:

I really want to have a GIANT aquarium. To be honest, if I could buy the local shark tank, I would. (Way out of my pay scale.)

So, I'm probably going to settle for something like a 500 gallon aquarium.

The thing is, I've always wanted that kind of tank for only one thing: to make a single store-bought beta fish very happy.

I just want to set up the whole tank perfect for that single beta fish, and then give it the life it needs.

Would a huge tank be too much? Am I crazy, or is this a good thing?

It IS a good thing.

How will you pick the one beta fish? Are the others next to him not as deserving? Is it just whichever fish happens to be in the cup you grab?

If you are going to do a giant aquarium and you are a bit of a DIY'r, have a look into a plywood tank. Its cheaper than using all glass and is better for larger tank builds

>Is it just whichever fish happens to be in the cup you grab?

Pretty much.

I thought about plywood, but I'm honestly wanting to create something a little flashy. Glass will be needed.

How will you have it cleaned?

I'll clean it myself, of course.

You realize 500 gallons is basiclly about as big as a coffee table, right? We're not talking fuck-huge.

Pic related,

Starfire glass, if you're going all out you might as well get the best.

As far as is it too big, for a betta kind of. In the wild during the dry seasons they're typically found in small puddles of water, that being said I have put them in larger aquariums up to 125 gallons and they do just fine. Usually enough space for them to keep their temperament down towards other fish.

That's not too much. Most of the gripes environmentalists might have about aquariums is how they are often way small for their fish to be really happy. I think having such a huge one for one or a couple of buddies is a touching thing to do. Pets are awesome, and should be treated well.

20% bi weekly water changed = 100 gallons

Have fun with a high water bill

It's usually like 3-5ยข a gallon

Are you going to be devoted to feeding this soon-to-be beloved pet with just the right feed for it and treating the water in the aquarium for it?

Bumping for some answers

Well, yeah. You don't buy/build a 500 gallon tank for one fish and then not take care of it.

Fair enough. Well, I hope that you come across and meet a fish that needs a great home to move into very soon. Good luck to you and your soon-to-be pet.

Can we make this an aquarium thread? Ive always wanted a tank but I just get way too intimidated by it

Honestly, just do a giant planted aquarium. If you set it up correctly the plants will do most of the work for you and make it so you dont have to clean as often. That's how I took care of my Discus and now my shrimp tanks. Make it as low maintenance as possible. Are you planning on putting anything else in there with him?

bump for aquarium set ups, I really want a big tank like OP's 500 gallon request just to get entirely baked and watch the colony of fish exist. The whole being a Prometheus and living outside an ecosystem and looking in is pretty fucking rad.

Just get a 35 and one of those leaf perch things. It will probably never leave it.

Advantages of this would be cost so you could have more than one tank.

Too bad you won't take proper care of any of it and it will become a nitrate and algae haven.

that's dumb. it's a waste of a tank and space. a betta would be "happy" in a small puddle sized pond. fish don't have feelings. 500 gallons has the potential to be a bomb ass looking tank with some bomb ass fish.

intimidated? How so?

Nice trips and tank

Idk man. I had a tank, I wanted a salt water aquarium and I was ready to pay for it all. The guy at the store just started listing off what I needed and what do to do and telling me I needed all this stuff and I got overwhelmed. I guess I could always go fresh water, but I loved the colors of a salt or a Cichlid? tank

This would be a really nice thing to do to the it. I always feel fucking awful for these poor fish. Theyre literally just dieing in a cup. Its pathetic. Theyre fish. Not art

I don't think you're ready op. An aquarium is a HUGE responsibility.

That's like 150 gallons bud. Believe me I just moved one

never had a salt water aquarium. i prefer fresh water. i like the green with some colorful fish.

a lot of saltwater tanks i saw on the internet looked rather pale and grey than actually colorful (wrong light maybe?)

planning on doing that next time im baked too

what kind of cat is that?

Sucking catfish are so fun to watch. Nice set up Sup Forumsro!

not mine, sadly. i just have a lot of auquarium pics saved because... reasons

Start with 1 beta, small-med tank first. Pet mates will vary, bright colored fish will make beta attack.
Beta will attack other betas.
You can have a lot of females in one tank, but only 1male beta a tank. Don't put female betas in with it.

Some bettas dont like large tanks. also you have to think about stocking levels to produce enough waste for the plants to grow. You cant keep little bastard fish like danios/tetra with a betta unless you are careful because they bite and a betta cannot defend itself.

Funnily enough keeping a heavily planted small tank can be really easy and more rewarding than a big one. Go Wallstead method with a little tank and loads of plants, betta and maybe a micro-pleco breed or just accept pond snails in to your life manage the algae.

Rate my crayfish, Mr. Krabs

listen to this guy. i have neon tetras and a betta together and they were biting his fins. they stopped though when i started feeding them blood worms.

7.8/10
Don't wanna get in HIS way.

9/10 great name

Take time to find one that clicks. Lurker here was so damn chilled when I was looking at him compared to the others. He was the runt. He passed awhile ago, after his Frog tank buddy Buddha passed. They where Bros to the end

very pretty betta.
i can relate. Mine seemed so happy and lively that it made me happy too. got him a few months ago

He changed colors a lot when I got him. I miss him so.
He looks healthy AF m8, and has a great scale pattern

sorry for your loss. how old did he get?

he is the happiest little fucker i have ever seen. i got him from a really good shop, very competent staff.

Cant put males together though

if you have a decent sized tank and a filter you dont have to do much water changes, if at all.
Especially if theres only one bete

You kept frogs and fish in the same tank?

Not unheard of. I also had a rubber eel at one point

i know but its not so common i was curious what kind of frogs and setup

I'm interested too.

Hey user, this is your cue to give us some more info