Prog Recommendation

Hey Sup Forums, I was wondering if I could get any recommendations for a good Prog band or song/album. I've recently King Crimson and some of The Mars Volta (specifically songs from their Frances the Mute album), and was curious what some other good things to listen to would be.

Apologies in advance if this is something more fitting to, say, /wsr/, I do not lurk anywhere near enough on here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MRSgvfNZcWA
youtube.com/watch?v=0XcfKHiWEN4
youtu.be/jJiJd92uo_0
youtu.be/6caUiPrFG5w
youtube.com/watch?v=BVjcsgrDErE
youtube.com/watch?v=dv1ypynSLzY
youtube.com/watch?v=ol4s-1kTrBw
youtube.com/watch?v=HQiF1NZMPEE
youtube.com/watch?v=KBa20wQKTF4
youtube.com/watch?v=-ST85Sui43Q
youtube.com/watch?v=QVSvq3TK_qo
youtu.be/WKNOlDtZluU?t=1012
phimusic.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=vem_t1xhvB4
youtube.com/watch?v=yNuPf8siX_8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Battles records are basically prog rock, and have a very interesting and original sound, you might like them.

Check out Can - Future Days and Yes - Close to the Edge. listen to everything King Crimson put out up until Beat. thats about as much as i can help.

posted a lot but for a reason

Lol, point proven

Van Der Graaf Generator

Mainly the last song

haha

Sup Forums probably wont be gentle on you

sounds like you're still early enough that you should honestly just be looking at the big bands yourself and not asking for recs yet. Try the big stuff if you haven't yet - pink floyd, yes, genesis. It's honestly pretty hard to give recs to someone really new to a genre who gives no other context. This album is accessible if you like slower older rock too I guess.

maybe Gentle Giant, Van der Graaf generator, uriah heep if you want more?

henry cow

How about

Van Der Graaf Generator
Jethro Tull
Gentle Giant
Rush
Renaissance
Can - entry point for krautrock if you're interested in that too
Magma
Genesis
Camel

People also consider these to be prog, but that is debatible:

Zappa
Pink Floyd

Now you are prog expert.

essential entry-level prog albums:

the rest of King Crimson's discog up until Discipline
Yes - Close to the Edge (along with The yes Album and Fragile)
Genesis - Selling England By the Pound (and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and Foxtrot)
Camel - Mirage
Pink Floyd's discog
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick and Aqualung
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
Soft Machine - Third
Rush - Hemispheres
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh

also definitely check out the Krautrock essentials like Can, Neu!, Faust, Amon Duul II etc

seconded

OP whatever you do, don't listen to this guy

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

>debatably prog

Explain

Genesis is your new friend.

Listen to Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

youtube.com/watch?v=MRSgvfNZcWA

Rush
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Tool
Dream Theater
The Mars Volta
Porcupine Tree
Muse

i will definitely fuck with this chart

Any on specifically early prog deep cuts?

Also OP Pink Floyd for sure but try this one specifically

Some people think he's prog, others just think he's a stupid hack. If not everyone agrees, it goes in that category.

Nice trips

Never really got the appeal of ELP though honestly

Not really prog, but it gets the job done, imo.

Pic related is the best prog chart of those that float around Sup Forums, in my opinion.

Yes (specifically Close to the Edge) is quintessential prog in my opinion, but all the essentials listed by others here have something to offer. Mirage, Leviathan, and Tubular Bells are all especially great.

Pink Floyd and Rush are more hybrid prog bands to me, but still definitely worth. Chances are you've already listened to them though.

For a jazzier side, check out Mahavishnu Orchestra, or Third - Soft Machine.

Emerson Lake & Palmer has some great epics.

If you want some more out there music with cool medieval instruments and themes, check out Gentle Giant. If you like that style and want more of it, listen to Red Queen to Gryphon Three.

I'm not usually a big fan of newer prog, but for neo prog Milliontown - Frost*, Frames - Oceansize, and yes, even Lateralus by Tool are all good choices for music that doesn't just spit out carbon copies of the old classics.

Also Italian 70s prog has some really good hidden gems, oddly enough. Alphataurus is the best example.

IQ - Frequency. One of the best prog albums ever imo, won some award upon release.
Listen to 'closer' for a taste

Arena - Contagion. Don't pick tracks, it's a full album from start to finish sort of experience.
listen to 'cutting of the cards' for a taste if you must though

Arena - songs from the lions cage
Arena - Pride
These two albums are perfect examples of the arena sound, Contagion is different but amazing. These two albums have a common theme between them, consider them made to be a pair.
Listen to 'medusa' for a taste

Ayreon - Universal Migrator CD1. Prepare to ejaculate musically but you'll love or hate the space opera lyrics.
Listen to 'and the druids turn to stone'

Pendragon
The World (1991)
The Window of Life (1993)
The Masquerade Overture (1996)
Not Of This World (2001)
These 4 albums are well worth checking out. Not particularly adventurous as far as pushing the genre but fine neo-prog.
Prepare to ignore some vocals in order to experience the instrumentals though, the vocals are kinda bogus half the time but its worth it.
Check out 'paintbox' for a taste

These bands/albums i've mentioned are engineered in a more modern way than king crimson or yes etc. This means it will sound better on modern gear than OG yes will for instance. Remasters of old stuff can be good though. Ayreon's production quality is out of this world

gazpacho

Caravan is cool. Camel is ok. Darryl ways wolf is progish. Ian carrs Nucleus for a trumpet. Dream theater.

OP, whatever you do, don't start listening to Dream Theater unless you want to start hating the genre.

Try your hand in some Gong la

youtube.com/watch?v=0XcfKHiWEN4

It's very progressive while not being too long-winded or overly noisy. Tons of sick guitar riffs and flute solos

mainly every song on this fucking masterpiece

I say King Crimson is not prog. Now not everyone agrees so it is debatable whether or not they're prog.

My biggest piece of advice is:
Don't listen to these folks. Close to the Edge is overrated, meaningless nonsense. I have no idea why it's so acclaimed on Sup Forums. The lyrics are absolute dogshit and the vocals are carcinogenic.
Right about now, I expect people to reply furiously stating "hurr durr that's all prog," and they're absolutely wrong. Genesis, King Crimson, and Jethro Tull all have incredible, meaningful lyrics.
My personal recs to you are:
>King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King and In the Wake of Poseidon
>Genesis - Foxtrot through The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
>Jethro Tull - Aqualung and Thick as a Brick
>King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Red, Discipline
>Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus, Brain Salad Surgery
If you must listen to Yes, only listen to Fragile. At least those lyrics are SEMI-coherent.

Happy travels, OP.

that's some pretty tempting b8 there son

>everyone who disagrees is baiting
Anyway, OP, I half-rescind my statement. Yes is BEARABLE... if you listen to the Steven Wilson-mixed instrumental versions that cut out Jon Anderson's pure cancer vocals. Still not that great, though.

P-L-E-A-S-E check out the Argie band Invisible. Not very known in the Anglosphere but every album is fantastic. And while I'm in the Argentine 70s prog-scene (which was pretty amazing), might as well recommend Serú Girán, Crucis, Vox Dei and La Máquina de Hacer Pájaros

The mellotron on this is amazing.

>listening to prog music for lyrics

Doubling down with Steven Wilson. Nice move.

I already inb4ed this idiocy. Not all prog has terrible lyrics, just Rush and Yes for the most part. ELP also gets bad with the lyrics at times (someone get me a ladder), but at least Greg's voice makes up for it. Can't say the same about Geddy "shittier Robert Plant" Lee or Jon "just got kicked in the balls" Anderson.
That part was unintentional. He actually does mix the 40th Anniversary editions of most prog albums (all King Crimson, Yes, and Jethro Tull albums, as well as some Gentle Giant).

Maybe try again next week man. Not fooling anyone here, and you and I both know you have better things to do.

Check out "Fläsket brinner", mostly their songs "Gånglåt" and "Klotet". The Swedish prog scene was pretty cool.

Umphreys mcgee . Your welcome user.

youtu.be/jJiJd92uo_0

youtu.be/6caUiPrFG5w

>says all styles
>has Rush under heavy
yeah this chart needs Sabotage by Black Sabbath

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is debatable

It's not bait, I just genuinely do not understand why anybody would consider Close to the Edge good.
Horrible lyrics, even worse vocals, and the instrumentation hardly makes up for any of that. Thank God that Bruford realized his talents were wasted being drowned out by that horrible wailing and joined King Crimson, the actual thinking man's prog group.

Pic related, OP. It will help you on your journey.

Have you ever been to a river in Siberia?

If the answer is no, of course you don't get it you fucking underage pleb. I bet you listen to Puscifer

>contrarian to the extreme
>shitty meme pics

wew lad opinion discarded

I'm going to piggy back on this, does anyone know of good progressive rock with brass instruments, along the lines of the Atom Heart Mother suite?

I've been exploring the genre a lot more, I hear lots of strings but not so much brass or saxophone (except for King Crimson and Floyd but I'm already very familiar with their music)

Here's some non-generic prog recommendations:

The Dear Hunter - Act IV (Indie/Theatrical/Prog Rock)
youtube.com/watch?v=BVjcsgrDErE

Thank You Scientist - Stranger Heads Prevail (Jazz Fusion/Prog Rock)
youtube.com/watch?v=dv1ypynSLzY

GoGo Penguin - Man Made Object (Instrumental Jazz with prog influence)
youtube.com/watch?v=ol4s-1kTrBw

Haken - The Mountain (Prog Metal/Rock)
youtube.com/watch?v=HQiF1NZMPEE

SycAmour - Indulgence: A Saga of Lights (Metalcore with prog influence)
youtube.com/watch?v=KBa20wQKTF4

Twelve Foot Ninja (Heavy Prog Rock)
youtube.com/watch?v=-ST85Sui43Q (this video is troll as fuck and amazing)

let minnow what you think of this trumpet solo at 5:07

youtube.com/watch?v=QVSvq3TK_qo

Liking this a lot! Thanks m8

youtu.be/WKNOlDtZluU?t=1012

I'd say he's a genre of his own. Hack, sure... That would be why Adrian Belew, Pierre Boulez, Chester Thompson, Vinnie Colaiuta and Jean Luc-Ponty among many others worked with him. That attitude comes from people who can't fathom the idea that someone dared to put humor into their music and nor make the thousandth album about being in love.

>Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
shit taste

found this band from a time randomly
phimusic.bandcamp.com/
its really not bad but nothing special may give it a try

Theres an italo prog band called area that uses brass but i think theyre also kind of fusion too

anyone know of any other contemporary classical prog rock stuff like After Crying?

didn't mean to respond to this but flasket brinner deserves more recognition anyways

Found out about these guys about a month ago, and theyre absolutely amazing

youtube.com/watch?v=vem_t1xhvB4

This is probably my favourite aside from the obvious choices of PF, KC and Can

I'd suggest Point of know return, or Leftoverture

Riverside
youtube.com/watch?v=yNuPf8siX_8