What has to go wrong in someone's career to go from this to starboy...

What has to go wrong in someone's career to go from this to starboy? I remember Sup Forums used to love this record so much and so did I. Did he have artistic integrity to begin with or was he a product of his producers? Specifically Jeremy Rose or Doc McKinney/Illangelo.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2_ScGcuXZqc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

legitimately all downhill from that album

dunno what happened

i liked i cant feel my face though

he should've continued with what he was doing with Kiss Land

his best release is Thursday though

youtube.com/watch?v=2_ScGcuXZqc

I remember a lot of people were theorizing that this song was an apology to his original fans when it came out. I think he knew he was going to blow up to a less passionate audience and couldn't help himself but to embrace success.

I used to listen to this, tried to show it to friends and they hated it
Now they all like his worse shit and annoyingly don't remember that I tried to introduce them to him back then

Also how important do you guys think Zodiac (Jeremy Rose) was to his initial success? He produced "The Morning" "What You Need" and "Loft Music". He claims that The Weeknd was originally supposed to be a dark pop duo between him and Abel, but Abel kept the name, took his beats and never payed him a cent.

ok?

I didn't mind Starboy when it came out, had some good bops tbqh. A couple of days ago I revisited the trilogy and realised how much Starboy sucks

Honestly the whole first trilogy is pretty great, although I think I found Thursday the least interesting. A lot better than anything he's put out after kissland, though. Echoes was great as well.

Took advantage of his Nigger Pass too much

Lana Del Rey actually adds artistic integrity at this point

It was snaky but I think it helped him, some of his stuff is hit or miss with that stuff though.

not as bad as how fun. sold out

"Selling out" gets thrown around but this is a textbook case. He became known as le funny hair drugs and sex man then made that horrible 50 Shades of Grey song for the shekels. That was where he really exploded. I don't remember him being super mainstream during the Kiss Land era, a lot of "music people" knew him but he wasn't on the radio or anything.
Someone else gets it. Best of the trilogy.
Don't know the details but I've heard this as well, makes me lose respect for him. The producers were responsible for 90% of the trilogy's magic.

yeah I remember Earned It was his real introduction to normies

nah, his lowest point

was surprised he bounced back from that and became a mega star desu after blowing a hyped debut album like that

Did Abel do any production on the mixtapes? He's listed on some sources but every pop musician gets credited as a "producer"

I think it's really slept on. Continues the dark style of his mixtapes with lusher production. Much better than the straight-up pop albums which were totally lifeless other than a few singles

I don't get why people see it like that, it was really the best formula because it had elements of the mixtapes while appealing to pop audience at the same time. Kiss Land had some really good songs that I'd take over anything from BBTM or Starboy any given day

I don't think he has. Maybe he gave some "advice" to the producers or something.

My favorite weeknd song

Confirmed for never having the type of girls he talks about on Thursday

That's probably a good thing. I avoided the clap.