I don't get it

I don't get it.

the chinese guy represent God

done

It was a bad movie. There's nothing to get.

Chang is God
Julian's hands are his penis
Violence is like sex
Oedipal tendencies are cool

>Julian's hands are his penis

kek wtf m8

Hands are the instruments of violence
Violence is like sex
Julian is impotent both in sexual and violent affairs
In the end he is castrated

this. it's really not that difficult, plebeian scum

I actually really liked OGF a lot. It got pretty poor reception from viewers and critics, but I really think it deserved better. The imagery and cinematography was nothing short of fantastic and it really captured that trance-like vibe that Refn seems to aim for. I found the imagery decently interesting, and I remember thinking about the film for a few days after watching, which to me, is usually an indicator that a film was good.

It's a pretentious trash movie just like Drive. There is nothing to get.

he wants to fuck his mom but can't and it frustrates him

Wew

You guys are just mad the movie made perfect sense but you were too stupid to get it.

this desu

i'm a dumbass and even i got it, any high schooler who took english and knows a little about freud can get it

I got it. It was just dumb as shit.

>In the end he is castrated

don't take it too literally.

In the end he is judged and forgiven. His violent (and sexual) tendencies are gone. He transcends them.

he's not impotent, he want to fuck her mommy, he's a weirdo, but that's it

the mother is the devil.
He wants to fuck/kill the devil.
But that's gods role.

He's impotent.
That's why he can't fuck his whore, he just watches her masturbate and then goes out beating the fuck out of random people: that's the only way he can discharge his sexual tension

god, stop taking things so literraly.
He's not impotent. He's struggling against his sexual/violent tensions.

or if you wanna call a celibate monk "impotent" for instance, then yes sure, he's impotent.

to be honest, I don't see this way, looks more like he have mommy issue

the mommy is the devil

>I'M RIGHT REEEEEEEEEEEEEE STOP ARGUING REEEEEERER

Not my fault you can't read scenes. Go watch it again

He surely has mommy issues. They're the cause of his impotence.
And of his brother's pedo/suicidal tendencies

What if I understood the movie but still think Refn is a hack?

wow you're so cool

Actually, I'm the one arguing, and you're the one saying you're right without arguing.

The whole thing here is that I analyze the movie through the spectrum of judeo-christian mythology, while you look at it under the lens of psychology.

To know who is right, we would have to know what school of thought is the one of Refn.

Since there is the word "God" in the title, I assume he made it through the spectrum of judeo-christian mythology.

Then you're a cuck lmao

>he is forgiven by having his hands cut off
It's a castration no matter how you see it

Chang isn't God. He is the Judge. Julian tried to meet his demise through his hands. But, in the hand, THEY ARE ALL FORGIVEN. And so, Chang can go back to being a muay thai legend, singing and having fun at the Karaoke. Unless all the other scenes where there are less and less people, and the mood gets bleakier, everytimes they come back from executing some foreign scum.

then you need to go back

i feel like he won't fuck the whore is because the incest thing in his head, not because he's impotent

you can have plenty opinions about all this, so this make the movie a great underrated movie

i watched it purely because it filmed in my country.

I understand that it's the 21st century and that psychology and freudianism is very trendy, but you need to understand that analysis and symbolism didn't start with freud.

t. theology amateur

I never thought he was impotent, just unable to control himself/his urges properly
I figured that's why he had to tie his hands before watching the girl masturbate

Also there was that scene where he slides his hand up her thigh right before he beats the fuck out of those random people watching the dancing - definitely not a coincidence

I feel like a lot of people commenting here haven't watched the film in a while
Also, on the whole God thing, Refn said that that guy sees himself as God, so I'm not sure if he's actually supposed to be God

He does not have his hands cut off. Literally missing the fucking point of the fucking movie.

>Throughout the movie, Chang acts as God, he forgives people in exchange for their hands (Tallion's Law)

>HIS GRAND daughter teaches him about CATHOLICISM. You need to learn to forgive. Etc.

>Julian makes him see the light

>LITERALLY SEE THE LIGHT (as shown when there is LIGHT EVERYWHERE in the scene where they meet again)

>Chang becomes a "christian" and all is well in the world

It's pretty fucking easy when you think about it.

Or in other words, allegory for God going from the WRAFTHFUL JEWISH GOD to the allforgiving Christian GOD.

There was a deleted scene where Julian's whore fed him soup while he sat with both of his forearms and hands missing

Deleted for a reason.

interesting. Made me want to watch it again. Can't remmember that scene where there is light everywhere that you talk about.

peace m8.

In the forest. Light everywhere. Peace has been found.

Sounds like fag shit.

The last scene of Julian is him kneeling before 'God' who has his characteristic sword raised like so many times before, with Julian having just murdered some random police officer and allowing the guy's wife to die
The scene then cuts as we hear the sound of the sword moving quickly through the air

How are we supposed to interpret that in any way other than he just had his hands cut off like every else in that position prior?

Because Julian knew who Chang was as he gave a fuck about Muay Thai and the local culture. He yearned for this release. But Chang got changed by Julian's action and his granddaughter words.

We don't see the actual action. He begins to swing. But stops as he finds the light. They are all enlightened in that very moment. GOD appears to them if you will, and he makes clear that forgiving is the way to go : forgiving yourself, your flaws, but also forgiving evil.

If none of that happens, the WHOLE thing with the grand daughter is meaningless since Julian would have still gotten what he yearned from Chang. No lessons learnt. That'd be counterproductive. Which is why the deleted scene doesn't actually appears in the final creation. The message gets much stronger that way.

His movies are pleasant to look at and spout some god tier memes. He doesn't take himself seriously and just does what he likes. Nobody is actually saying that he is artist or a genius, just that his movies are from good to great if you are into that sort of a thing so I don't really get the hate. Calling someone a hack is a natural reaction if you didn't appreciate or enjoy some movies that people say you have to or you are a pleb (think Kubrick and Tarkovsky) and that is not the case with Refn.

This is one of the best looking and best sounding movies of the decade. Say what you will about the narrative but it's at least worth watching for your eyes and ears alone.

There's behind the scenes footage where Refn says "violence is like sex" when explaining the movie to Gosling.
There's a scene which literally shows return to the womb.
The film is dedicated to Jodorowsky and the hands motif is borrowed from Santa Sangre. Jodo is known for his Freudian psychomagical films where sex and violence are always linked.

This is a terrible film.

>He begins to swing. But stops as he finds the light. They are all enlightened in that very moment. GOD appears to them if you will, and he makes clear that forgiving is the way to go : forgiving yourself, your flaws, but also forgiving evil.
This is complete speculation with nothing to back it up
Give me one reason why they wouldn't show the swing stop if he stopped it

>If none of that happens, the WHOLE thing with the grand daughter is meaningless since Julian would have still gotten what he yearned from Chang. No lessons learnt. That'd be counterproductive.
No, it merely means your interpretation of the whole film is wrong
Julian still learnt his lesson which is why he surrenders and allows his hands to be cut off
And more importantly, Julian found his moral compass and realised his mum was evil. Hence why he asks for forgiveness. His mum didn't and that's why she was killed