Why did they stop making actual funny comedies?

Why did they stop making actual funny comedies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x-5zEb1oS9A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Whats so funny about stopping to ask black guys for directions?
Was this a racial stereotype thing?
Why was this allowed?

times change, op
we're in a different age of humor

Deeply problematic.

The main problem is that comedy is too forced in movies nowadays. Also; comedy movies nowadays have shit stories with no real substance. Vacation is a brilliant family flick, which incorporates many serious drama incidents that happen to them along the way, but there is a comedy side to it.

Same is with the 1984's Ghostbusters: it has serious horror scenes throughout but also has quirky comedy jokes which blend in with it.

The new 2016 Ghostbusters however has no horror, is badly written and the dialogue is just utter shit. All the jokes are forced.

I actually did enjoy Paul Fieg's Spy movie - there had some serious scenes like Jude Law's character dying (not a spoiler since it happens in the first 10 minutes of the movie) and the decision of MCarthy to go undercover herself BUT the comedy works really well with Statham's character who comes off as a know it all secret spy but in reality he is such a dumb clumsy individual.

MCarthy actually doesn't act too goofy in this and tries to be serious but her role in the new Ghostbusters is just fucking atrocious with the way she is written there.

I really wish we had more good political comedy like Yes, Minister.

youtube.com/watch?v=x-5zEb1oS9A

television is the superior medium for comedy now i think (nathan for you being the prime example)

>Do you think he knows it's a lake?

The Jump Street movies were funny.

I'd say it's the fault on the brits. The Office spawned a ton of shows that all had the same type of humor: cynic sarcasm.

80s humor was very low brow with a slightly serious tone and just the right amount of edge or happy slapping, today it's all about either fart and shit jokes or some from of quip the writer thought was super smart.

Two good eggs in a bad basket

Yeah, we've really wound up with the worst parts of the anglosphere's comedy. British cynicism mixed with American crudity.

Still remember renting this with my friends back in the 80's. Probably laughed the hardest at this scene.

>mfw comedys now days are nothing more then dick jokes and f-bombs

I havent watched a modern comedy in years. And when I mean years, I mean like 10 years.

> what it is bro

Still gets me every time

Tropic Thunder was pretty fucking good but it also was a lot edgier than anything since. Felt like a late 80s/early 90s comedy script they found in a safe somewhere and added modern technology.

Because the scripts are rushed too quick, and done wrong. Or they just literally say "Kevin Hart adlibs here" or "Will Ferrell shows his ass at his daughters doctor appointment" or "Insert current political joke here".

Something like Vacation was written the right way. Write the story first. Then add the jokes in the second draft. Have characters/plot/themes first then the humor.

Something like A Fish Called Wanda could easily stand as a heist thriller, but instead has a layer of humor that makes it a great comedy AND a great film on its own.

Comedy almost died actually in the late 90s/early 2000's with the string of gross out comedies then transfering into awkward humor that gets little painful chuckles while losing the story.

>the black guy is holding a basketball

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get a Caddyshack remake soon enough...

>kids? you noticing all this plight?

AMERICAN PIE.

>LOOK HES FUCKING AN APPLE PIE.

BEST MOVIE EVA

Comedy has to, in some way, contain uncomfortable and offensive elements. You know, transgression and obscenity. Comedies live in that grey area that defies norm and what's acceptable.

Otherwise you get shit like quips and dude weed lmao.

>comedy in a movie that has a serious tone
>vs
>ITS A COMEDY ITS A JOKE BAZINGA ITS FUNNY LOL OUT LOUD INSERT FART JOKE HERE
thanks to adam sandler for killing comedy in cinema