Why does the western media industry always circlejerks over writing "strong female characters"...

Why does the western media industry always circlejerks over writing "strong female characters", and yet what they come up with is always worse than what you can find in japanese media, produced by a more traditional and patriarcal society?

because characters like Ryuko are written with the intention of being a genuine character while a lot of female characters are written simply to be "strong" and invoke one or two "You go girl!" from the audience.

Putting effort into a character goes a long way.

Yeah, a lot of the strong female characters seem super insincere and it makes the whole thing seem like shallow pandering

It really sucks because I fucking love actual strong women, the girl power shit is so fucking fake and masturbatory. If I was a woman I'd actually be insulted by most of it

Ryuuko is a rather stereotypical character. Nothing much to write home about.

weird, I agree with pretty much every post in this thread.

Hating the strong female character trope of recent years should not mean you hate women or think women should be weak, a woman can be perfectly strong and likable without being an obvious power fantasy for some blogger.

It's incredibly ironic how Japan can create much more memorable and better written female characters in the past two decades than American and the rest of the west can, though I say Japan have more of a problem writing male characters because I can't for the life of me think of at least 5 or 10 well written male characters in the past two decades but there's a plethora of female ones.

because Japanese write strong women as they were men
because that's what a real strong woman basically is - a man with tits
which is kinda hot sometimes and which is why first wave and some of the second wave feminists were based and third wave are just pure shit

because third waves aren't strong people and have no real virtues they shit on most of the classic virtues with all their bullshit about toxic masculinity and basically demand right to be shitty weak people

and that's why modern writers create weak bitchy female characters, add some marysueism and claim they created a "real strong woman"

First of all Ryuko is a teenage shithead. Second, most western "strong" female characters just try to be a man and try to rid of the fact that they're women

the opposite

yeah, but in my opinion a few tropes and clichés are fine as long as the writer's heart is the right place.

She was entertaining and never came off as pandering garbage.

She also struggled quiet a bit through the series.

finding a middle-ground is the way to go.

a lot of people in the west can only take things at face-value, the fan-service in Kill la Kill basically became a filter for closed-minded people that only cared about what character looks or dresses like instead of what that character's motivations or internal struggles are. Not that Matoi was anything groundbreakingly deep and complex, but there's more to her than what you see.

>create action series
>decide the main character will be a girl because you want to
>write her as a person who happens to be a girl
>totally fine strong female character
Although Ryuuko isn't the best character around desu

>create action series
>decide the main character will be a STRONG FEMALE to pander
>write her as a STRONG FEMALE, which either means pathetic but you aren't allowed to say so, making her literally perfect or throwing in lots of traditionally male stereotypes whether they fit or not
>character suffers for it

Ryuuko is a typical male anime hero character in a female body. It might've even been deliberate like all the other ironic shit in that series.

The bravado, the ill-temperament, the anti-hero vibe, all of it. Women simply don't act like this in real life.

She's basically Ichigo with tits, right down to the oversized blade.

because for the longest time in western movies and television men were always the protagonists/main characters. once feminism started gaining traction and people began bitching about it being "CURRENT YEAR," big movie studios have started having women fill the lead roles to "make up for it"

Unfortunately, since putting a woman in any kind of compromising situation is a death sentence when pandering to SJWs female leading roles are almost always overpowered, flawless, bland characters that always win and never develop at all. instead of creating believable female characters with their own flaws, trials, and tribulations that they need to overcome, they are basically just superheroes fighting for "girl power"

Since women, liberals, and feminists are typically soft minded and weak they enjoy this trend and applaud the studios for churning out one boring bland protagonist after another because in their minds this is what empowerment is.

hollywood does everything it can to maintain market majority including rejecting prevalent ideas already in foreign media in fear they become the entertainment the public craves

Kill la Kill is the worst anime I've ever seen. Entertaining, it was not. It's just a poor excuse for western cartoony physics and piss-poor fanservice. Trigger really dropped the ball on it. After that, they scrambled for the most cliche of harem anime. It's an indication of how disappointed they were with KLK's performance.

Anyone else worried about what will happen to the anime and manga industry if American live action movies become a thing? I mean they already heavily fucked over the comic industry by pushing this agenda all the time but I think the anime and manga industry is fine as it is, then again SJWs don't care about the mediums they are taking over and feasting on the innards internally like locusts or parasites they are.

because strong female characters is a meme and SJW lobbies are fucking retarded and does not posses an ounce of logic or rational thinking

It should be pretty clear by now

You didn't get it's a satire, did you?
I makes fun of fanservice and other shit that is killing modern anime by building an entire plot on fanservice and other absurds.

It's actually pretty gud if you're not autistic.

Executives don't care about whining girls on twitter as long as a show is financially lucrative.

First half was alright up until the tournament

You're in the minority there buddy.

It'll crash like comics currently are

The Jews are like locusts, they devour everything, only way it'll survive is if some mangaka's resist the fat paycheques of millions for their IP's rights.

Enjoy your mangas and anime while you still can

I wish the west would take a note on how to write female characters from creators like Ikuhara or even Anno and actually flesh them out and make them as interesting on the inside as on the outside

Not really, Ryuko is unmistakenly girly and feminine, not a "man with tits".

A typical "strong female character" is a crude caricature of masculinity and a rejection of femininity, motivated by a need to show off, "empower" women, and upstage men and take their place, or something like that. Feminism devalues both feminine and masculine virtues and cares only for vices and power. And you have to be politically correct and "represent" women and give them something to stroke their egos with. There's mixed messages, kafka traps, unpredictable (social) media witchhunts and internalized guilt fucking with writers' heads. Basically shit's all fucked up.

I also think Westerners are prone to self-insertion (males write and are drawn to male characters, women write and are drawn to female characters), aren't as gender blind as they may like to think they are, and are very preoccupied with realism or what they think is realistic.

A female anime character can be super strong but still feminine, because masculinity and femininity don't have to be mutually exclusive opposites tied to your gender, and there are no feminists running around condemning both. Things also don't have to be realistic, and anime at large tends to be a funhouse mirror version of reality.

Or something like that.

Guess what: not relevant to the thread.

Trigger(ed)

as some user said, she's basically Ichigo with tits and some kawaii moments

It does none of that and it's shit for teenage Sup Forumsedditors to wank over

That's not really the case, KLK is clearly written around a female character, from the fashion theme of the show, to all the references to female puberty.
It isn't that distant from TTGL for girls.

Japanese entertainment is almost entirely oriented towards its domestic markets, and even if selling remake rights to American studios pays well it's infrequent and unpredictable income. And it's not like manga and anime are already focused on min-maxing profits in their domestic markets either, so why would they start doing the same for the American market? It's the land of niches.

>A female anime character can be super strong but still feminine

This user makes a good point, femininity /= weakness.

Making a female character just become another male character with tits is a shame and lazy.

>It's an indication of how disappointed they were with KLK's performance.
It has sold 11,705 discs, which is good. Inou Battle has sold 1,189, which is not (and Kiznaiver has already outsold it). Aside from Inou Battle all their projects have been original, and their next one is the Little Witch Academia TV series.

She's a deliquent girl type character more than a shonen hero.
Still a typical female archetype and not a man with tits.

>Triggered

Holy shit I hate this catchphrase. It's the "YOU MAD" of the 2014+, but it's not kosher to say "you mad?" anymore since 9gag got a hold of it like 8 years ago, so now faggots say "TRIGGERED?" which is functionally the exact same thing. It's a parroted meme response.

I feel the same way about "kek". Fuck off newfag, just say "lol". I can't imagine anyone who was here in 2006 saying "kek" or "top kek" or "fef' or "jej"

>autism

Here's a man with tits.

Ryuko is just a standard shonen hero with tits

>male character with tits
But as a video game once philosophically asked, what is a man? "Man with tits" is understood to mean a specific kind of character, but there are and have been many kinds of men in the world.

A lack of dichotomies like that is why female characters are so good in anime.

Because this obsession with strong female characters from both sides is pretty recent. There are plenty of western movies and tv series with great female characters.

Also anime is shite and consistently has some of the worst writing in the modern world.

Exactly what I mean by 'parroted meme response'. No thought or effort required. Just pull the string and get the mechanical response that's been regurgitated so many times it's meaningless.

Boards suffer when posters don't feel compelled to put effort into their posts.

Anime doesn't include just Dragon Ball Z.

Part of it is that anime and manga has a massive amount of women producing it and a fair share consuming it. As I found out one day, the vast majority of my favourite women from it were written, designed or both by a woman.
That's true of all mediums. What's important is finding the bits that aren't shit.

you're not allowed to act high and mighty when you missed the joke in the first place

Yes in western media strong females always feel like they have to prove something or put men in their place, and it comes out as forced or tryhard.
In something like Kill la Kill gender is mostly irrelevant and is never brought up, the fact that all the characters in position of power are women is never addressed.
>Saber
That's not an example of strong character right? Because the rejection of feminity was exactly her problem.

I laughed pretty hard when she was suffocating in her space suit desu

I'll be laughing pretty hard when I stab you, user.
That scene was genuinely hard to watch in a way that I don't think I've ever found anything live action to be.

Planetes wasn't written by a woman though, and the character of Ai was ruined in the anime.
>Yeah I'll gladly let you impregnate me and wait for you a decade at home until you're back from Jupiter

The pregnancy was an odd departure from the manga but I don't think it did much to undermine her character. Hachimaki, perhaps, but not Tanabe.
Also, all of the anime's character designs were by a woman, though it's not really my central point. What I was trying to say was that we tend to see these female characters emerge because women are a more organic part of both ends of the industry. Shit like Ghostbusters happens because a somewhere a boardroom of men decided that they needed to 'appeal to women' more.

There are many women involved, but I don't think that's a big factor. Aside from seemingly obvious things like shoujo romance, you usually can't even tell if the author/director/writer is female, and most of the female characters we see are written by men.

She seems feminine in the UBW anime, or at least she isn't anti-feminine. I guess this depends on how you define feminine.

ITT: Sexism hidden behind a concern for "good writing"

Do you people really think we haven't heard this sort of thing from your ilk before?

What's the appeal of anime?

>it's a "my tastes and discussion topics are so bad that I'll get run out of Sup Forums, so I'll weeb out over on Sup Forums" thread

Keep jacking off to anime you failure

Japan doesn't have SJWs to pander to. So when they make a female, it's a character that happens to be female. West has strong female characters too, but the ones that are advertised as strong often aren't because they have no personal flaws to overcome, because flawed females anger SJWs.

kill la kill is shit.

and the idea of good female characters in Anime is fucking laughable.

Have you read Zero or the Fate ruote?
One of the central conflict of her character is that she had to give up on her life as a girl to become king.
It's true that in UBW she acts more like a normal girl than she should though, and it's out of character.

>muh SJWs
topkek stick to video games m8

What sexism?

There are many, many reasons why it's appealing, but I don't think there's enough space and time here to answer the question.

This topic concerns both Sup Forums and Sup Forums, but Sup Forums is the more appropriate place since Sup Forums covers television and movies broadly.

You people always bring up masturbation, but that says more about you than it does about the person you're attacking.

>the idea of good female characters in Anime is fucking laughable
It's a matter of routine in anime.

t. fedora wielding pleb who only watches french movies from the 30's

Season 2 when?

>what sexism
>A MATTER OF ROUTINE

An Anime fan using the fedora as a pejorative against someone else. Peak shitposting. Good work.

the whole point of this show is to flash her ass and tits at the kids watching

>Write strong compelling character
>Cast them based on acting merit rather than token minority status

This isn't fucking hard guys.

Summarize Kill La Kill to me

>he thinks a meritocracy is a plausbile thing
>he thinks it isn't a middle-class college kid fantasy.
kys

Anime is very very patrician and elite taste.

It scares plebeians, and makes women jealous.

That is why they lash out with such anger whenever it is mentioned.

>I can only take things at face-value

The fanbase of Kill la Kill in Japan was mostly girls.
The writing clearly resonated a lot with the female audience.

Regardless of whether or not SJWs exist, some people try to pander to them. Ghostbusters is the best example I can think of, advertising itself as a movie only misogynists would hate. Although I suppose that's less about pandering and more about exploitation.

I don't see that as meaning she isn't feminine. I guess to me, not being feminine means being like a feminist and going out of your way to reject or make a mockery of femininity. I consider Ryuuko to be feminine too. Or maybe what I'm talking about doesn't even have anything to do with femininity and masculinity...

SJWs aren't a problem exclusive to video games (see campus activism for example).

Having good female characters is sexist? How?

Kill la Kill aired at 2 AM.

What did she mean with this?

>and the idea of good female characters in Anime is fucking laughable.

> good female character
HAHAHAHA

If you were to make an actual "female character" the show would consist of her texting her friends, checking her twitter, and watching makeup tutorials on youtube.

Women aren't "good" characters. They are more boring than the average Sup Forums dwelling virgin.

Thank god anime makes them more interesting 2bh.

>inb4 le misogynist mey mey

that's more about how fucking sensitive internet sexists are. gamergate enable saarkesian with their pathetic outbursts, manchildren did the same with Ghostbusters.

>campus activism
you mean that thing that has exist for fucking decades? spend some time outside of Sup Forums you freak.

>Having good female characters is sexist? How?
pretending fan service is deep or complex is embarssing. stop this.