Religion aside, what logically happens after you die...

Religion aside, what logically happens after you die? To think that you'll be gone for eternity makes everything you do now pointless right?

Obviously nobody has ever died and come back to life to tell us all about what it's like, but your personal experience will be total darkness like you just fell asleep but don't dream and never wake up. Maybe you have a weird experience just prior to that, but probably not unless you're suffering up to the point of death.

And the point of life is to make more life. If you're not pumping out kids, you're essentially meaningless. That said, I'm never having kids so I guess I'm meaningless.

I drown once, they say what happened next was just my brain having a fantasy before it died, if anyone ever does die and come back no one will believe them if they say they know what happens after so there's no point in talking about it.

Well depends on you being meaningless. Do you do anything to help others reproduce or survive long enough reproduce? Think of old ass female elephants, they know where the water is in nignog land.

As far as anything beyond death no need to worry. we all die. we all die alone. And when you die you will be dead so no biggie - Epicurus

>If you're not pumping out kids, you're essentially meaningless

Dont buy into that science mumbo jumbo, they can never admit that they dont know.

when you die the soul is released from the body in your last breath.

You are now free

imagin a world limited only by your imagination.

to put it bluntly , your more dead now , then you will be when you actually die , by definition.

>To think that you'll be gone for eternity makes everything you do now pointless right?
I've seen this question a thousand times from religious people, and it still baffles me. Why the FUCK would I need anything beyond this life to justify my putting effort into it and enjoying it? This is my existence, and this world and universe full of infinite wonders and beauty. Let those who think this is a prelude to some fairy tale disparage it and long for death. I know that the women I love, the kids I make, the art I make, the experiences I have, are the point of it all. When I'm done, my corpse will fertilize the soil for more generations. This idiotic bullshit from random Xtians is like somebody saying "Why bother watching that movie, it's just going to end in 2 hours: or (like Homer Simpson) "What's the point of going out, we're just going to end up back here anyway?" The fact that life is fleeting and ephemeral is what makes it so precious and worthy of our full attention. I'll worry about an afterlife if I ever find myself in one.

A large quantity of dimethyltryptamine is released from the brain which causes you to seem like you're in a different reality.

Are brain's sub conscious doesn't perceive time the way you do when you are conscious and aware (sun down/up and looking at a clock) which results in your trip lasting endlessly.

Our*

When we die we move to the next multiverse, using what we learned here to try and make it in the new reality. And on and on and on it goes.

We think about time continuing when we die, but time is based on observation of change. Without observation there's no time. We're lifted out of the flow of time, so eternity has no meaning from that perspective.

I don't know what happens when we die but whatever it is our perspective won't be moving in time and so it's pretty much impossible to imagine. We have no frame of reference.

The fact that life ends when you die makes life more valuable, not less. If life lasted an eternity after death, then life before death would be purposeless. What you do in this life counts due to the fact that it's the only one you have to live.

Agreed. Somethign that has always bothered me about Christianity and some other religions is how they say that this life doesn't matter, and we should be focused on the next life. What an incredibly thing to teach people.

Remember what life was like before you were born? Same thing.

Good goy

It's about controlling people's behavior. It's classical condition: "do what I want you to do and receive eternity of pleasure, disobey and receive an eternity if suffering."

You just have to replace "what I want" with "what is moral" and that's how you convince someone. Same logic as SJW's, which is why they're striving.

>Obviously nobody has ever died and come back to life to tell us all about what it's like
Technically that's not true. All of us were dead for an infinite amount of time before we were born. Death is just returning to that state.

Human beings have existed for 100,000-200,000 years, depending on how you define "human."

We know almost nothing about the average person from just a few hundred years ago.

The first name we know from the past is a bit over 5000 years ago.

Most people can't name their great-great-grandfather.

So, of all the billions of people who history has forgotten, were their lives meaningless?

Makes a lot of sense when you want the masses to go along with whatever their leaders tell them. "Yeah, life sucks now, but don't worry - the next one will be better! Now get back to work!"

>To think that you'll be gone for eternity makes everything you do now pointless right?

No?

But what if you never existed in the "next" multiverse? Better yet, what if the "next" one figured out immortality? Would you just stay there?

yup

im not gay im just a quiet nerd

The "importance" of any given thing is completely subjective. So if you choose to assign your life as pointless, it can be. Or if you decide that every day is the most important day of your life, it can be that to. Totally up to you.

Faggot answer but I imagine it as sleeping without dreaming I thought of it when some nights I'll just lie in bed with no phone or anything and just stare at the wall its nuts cause I don't even know when I fall asleep and I can't tell if ten seconds or ten years have passed, there's no emotion no thought no sense you're just shut off I kind of imagine death like that a type of un-existence unknown to humans witch is nice theirs no fear or sadness but no happiness. I haven't put much thought into this and this was kinda half put together

but objectively speaking nothing matters....

you will be dead as well as the species and one day the sun will explode and wipe out any memory of any of us.

Subjective meaning is just a coping mechanism of hard reality of nihilism. You only live subjectively so troubling yourself with the fears of the Objective is a waste of time... you should spend your time on finding value in the very limited time you have to do so.

>So, of all the billions of people who history has forgotten, were their lives meaningless

This is actually a pretty good point. Whether you believe in the collective or in the individual, and whether or not you believe there's a life to live after this life your living, it's thanks to the aggregate contribution and continuity of every human being that's ever existed that we're even having this discussion on an anonymous imageboard from the relative comfort and safety of our homes. Whether recorded history compiles their names or not is kind of irrelevant.

>you should spend your time on finding value in the very limited time you have to do so.

That's... what we're saying. And what you find value in is also subjective. Also, dead or alive, we'll be long gone before our star even expands past Mercury.

Objectively speaking, you exist. Whether that matters or not is not an aspect of Objectivism.

You have the same conversation you've had an infinite number of times and then get sent back as a random person in a random time period in a random location to live a random life as a random gender, race, and class and then you die again and the process repeats itself.

One day none of it will matter. I mean really none of it. Humanity will end and every trace of the Beatles and Donald Trump and Time Square and the Civil War and Star Wars will be dust.

On the scale of a human life this seems like a very long time away, but cosmically it happens all the time. Probably millions of beautiful civilizations are now reduced to random clumps of atoms in a vaccuum.

The point is: no need to pay your student loans, fuck that shit man

I don't know shit but I've heard when your brain thinks your going to die it releases alot of DMT. Eplaining near death experiences

even after the heart stops beating and the body stops drawing breath the brain continues to function for up to....I think it's like 2 minutes or so.
Anyways, you don't have a soul, you have a consciousness. Memories and experiences, that's all.

you forget about the people who co-sign the loan with you

To live happily is not to live irresponsibly. Pursuit of short-term pleasures and refrain from long-term goals and repercussions often inhibits the individual's pursuit of happiness, which in my opinion is the purpose of life.

ok , so back to my original point , you can never truly die, life is represented by a circle.
>pro tip
and if the life your leading seems pointless
then you are dead right now.

like in dark souls, how you can still walk around and kill shit right , only with less hp and power.

>profit???

Nice, never thought of it like that.

What? That's like, the first thing I thought of.

no my friend "YOU" dont have a soul
if you had one you wouldnt be asking ridiculous questions. You would just know.

still your mind
this is an act of will
listen closly
feel the force of life within you
it is there you will find

religion is a means of instilling a sense of right and wrong in a mass amount of people.
Without it, there's no telling whether or not we'd still be like animals.
If it didn't exist, would you create it?
Would you call it something else yet treat it exactly the same and use it for the same purposes? There's no telling, but one thing is certain, Life can end just easily as it can begin and for a mass amount of people who exist and who have existed, knowing that this is all there is would just be adding insult to injury.
>Nothing is born, all things are created.

u are gay

butt hurt

I imagine it's like turning off a computer, or killing it to death.

It's like going to sleep, but instead of suddenly being conscious after a period of time you just don't.

Atheist here. You live, you die, and then you simple stop. Doesn't matter if you had kids. As long as you interacted enough to have meaning in someones life, you have done your part, good or bad. Family, friends, some random person you help/hurt along the way enough that they will never forget you. Even if they don't know your name, your actions somewhere changed the course of someones life, if even a little, and that will be your impact for generations. Can you say you're happy with the over all effect you have had on people? If not, change, if yes, keep rocking. No god needed to find meaning through the ages.

B-but sometimes user, i dream when i sleep

That's a natural defense mechanism, like an anesthetic to ease the suffering, but instead it eases the transition.

Yes, but you don't take anything you've learned here with you.
A fresh body, means a fresh mind, and fresh decisions and experiences.

That's because there's still "power" running through your brain. Death is a sleep without dreams because the brain is dead.

Joke's on you I'm braindead already

To understand where we go we must understand where we came from.
Before the big bang, all matter was fused together as one singularity.

This exploded, and everything we are made up of is from this big bang.

We are all one, as we always have been, but our evolved systems allow us to have the illusion of individuality.

The consciousness that resides in me is the same that resides in you, and in all things. The only thing that makes me not you is the fact my brain has different memories, different experiences much like a network of computers connected to the internet, each on is different but all using the same source energy, all made of the same thing.

When we die, nothing happens other than this "computer" becoming erased, all memories gone. The conscious energy is universal and will continue on as everyone else lives their lives believing they are unique.

No one is unique.

Here's the thing, you are already dead, if you are not exerting your own will.

We Forge a soul, we are not born with one. We pass on our genetic memory and reemerge in that lineage.

Impossible. You can't communicate without a living brain. Maybe you're just stupid.

There are many who have had near death experiences and report things science cannot account for (at least currently). And dont rebuke with the "random firing of neurons" posit as it doesnt explain the largely coherent and meaningful experience.

When you die, your body decomposes and returns it's core elements to the earth to be re-purposed for other smaller life to consume and thrive, what moves on is things no one else can experience, your memories, your consciousness, your perspective.
Perspective has to be observed by the mind, the eyes may rot but the ability to perceive an experience can't rot because then that means that the extremely complex network of systems that make up the human body including all the synapses in your brain are essentially the only you that exists and our bodies are nothing more than self sufficient surrogates for bio-electrical energy.....Which is....kind of exactly what you are, but the mystery is supposed to lie in whether or not you exist without the surrogate.

Accurate.

Well said.

like you were gonna cure cancer, fuckboy.

There is no "point" or "meaning" to the universe. It just is.

Things like "meaning" are human inventions. The same with "importance," "justice," and "truth."

So if your life has meaning to you and others around you, then it has meaning.

well, yeah

Technically, you were thriving in your father's ballsac until you as a seed fertilized an egg in your mother's womb that provided the necessary components for you to take the form of a small burden in the making until your body began to grow and by association so did your mother's making her less attractive, more hungry, and all of the people around her just a little more miserable in life. You were alive, it's just you could have died at any point in time and if you fuckin religious nuts ever needed a prime example of what a miracle is, look no further than the fact that each and every one of you exists and is alive today despite the fact that jacking yourself off costs waaaaaayyyy less than being nice to a woman and taking her out on dates.

>"life sucks now, but don't worry - the next one will be better! Now get back to work!"
I really like what you just said.

Everything you do now is to contribute toward the people around you who have helped to bring you happiness and success and health.
Without other people, you're a stain on the pavement; don't look pretty, but I we're all too busy with our own shit to fix it.
>It's not about the shit you do in this life having a point, it's about making it have a point.

I'd just start committing random crimes if you've gained the trust of people.
I haven't because I'm a fuckin sociopath an most people who know me know that, but other people should just start committing random acts of violence.

Then my brain must constantly think I'm on the verge of dying because I am ALWAYS FUCKED UP

A soul is a primitive explanation for what you'd call yourself without the body you exist in.

>This
because not everyone gets to make it to age ninety something and "pass away" with their relatives and close friends at their bedside.

That's not what it's like at all, it's like the ultimate choke out in an mma fight.
You're trying to breath, you're trying to live, but your body is just like "SSSHHHHH, GO TO SLEEEEP"

Emersonfag GTFO REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That is a cold, sad, yet refreshing thought, and you're probably right.

Aww, fuck you, you don't know.

Without being unique, and seeing things from a fresh perspective, we'd never have understood the use and dangers of fire or the wheel.
Your Iphone or Android device wouldn't exist, vaccines wouldn't exist, the television wouldn't exist, the camera, the telephone, the light bulb, the oven, the microwave, the toaster oven, the toaster, the nutribullet, the fucking Hoover vaccum. NONE OF IT, without individual perspective.
That's a bold statement, and it's wrong.

1. Some say that everything must have a cause. In other words, nothing can cause itself to come into existence.
2. If this is true, then "God" must have a cause.
3. If this is true, then if follows that the Universe came before "God" and caused "God".
4. If this is true, then "God" is NOT the all-knowing essence that we imagine it to be.
5. If this is true, then there may NOT be a being that knows the explanation of everything.
6. If this is true, then "God" is simply a being that was caused before other beings. In other words, "God" was the first manifestation of organized thought.
7. But if one (1) is true, then something must have also caused the Universe.
8. Since contemporary logic tells us that this process of cause and effect cannot be traced back to one specific origin, then we can only conclude that the Universe was self-caused.
9. To self-cause is not unlike willing one's self awake from a dream, willing one's self from subconsciousness into consciousness, from obscurity to lucidity, from an impressionistic state to a physical one.

CONT...

10. If this is true, then if follows that nothing comes into existence; it simply transitions between the two different states as described in nine (9).
11. When existence is in the "dream" state, it still exists but not in physical form. So the act of creating, or being created by something, is not needed; only the will to change is required. This process can be either very fast or very slow depending on ability and/or willpower.
12. If this is true, then each incarnation of physical life could be vastly different
from the last, and physical laws and observances could be insignificant in the larger scope of things.
13. If existence transitions every so often, is reborn so to speak, if follows that certain thoughts and emotions are lost and certain thoughts and emotions are created. If follows from this that our thoughts and emotions may be infinite in that new ones are created and old ones are carried with us from existence to existence ... or lost forever. Thoughts and emotions are therefore not absolute or everlasting; they are uncanny in that they are similar to, or exactly like, previous thoughts or emotions.
14. So it follows that the Universe was caused by subconscious thought, a mystical will of sorts, and "God" was caused by some will within that Universe. 15. If all this is true, then ultimately human beings must be a product of "God", which was caused by the Universe, which was caused by the Mystical Will, and human beings will cease to exist or be vastly different when we next transition to a different state.
16. If this is true, then physical human evolution, or perhaps the complete lack of it, will be the cause of our next transition.

CONT...

CONT...

17. If this is true, then all physical existence is cyclical and does not have a beginning or end.
18. If this is true, then all thinking beings are a part of, or an extension of, the Mystical Will, and the Mystical Will is a part of all thinking beings.
19. If this is true, then if follows that the Mystical Will's essence is to mold itself into many different shapes and forms because of its curiosity and infinitude of thought.
20. If this is true, then our thoughts would be required to carry on in some form after the physical body dies.
21. Therefore, we have a soul, which is simply one form of God's being, who is a result of the Mystical Will.
22. Therefore, we are immortal, but our memory may not be, since it is a product
of the physical state, not the impressionistic one. Our identities may be flawed in this way. Our souls may transition between ineptitude and insurmountable competence in all areas of thought and action based upon the memories we retain at any given moment.
23. Therefore, time is an abstraction which has no ultimate meaning, bearing or
relevance on existence.

CONT...

24. Therefore, the physical realm is constantly changing, transitioning between states and may be incalculably gigantic or measurably small. And this adaptability, this changeability of the Mystical Will's many forms, is the essence of any thinking being because no thinking being can bear a static, unchanging eternity of existence. We must die. We must be reborn. We must dream. And we must transition between what we like and what we dislike. And our idea of what we like and dislike must change as well, along with the very notion of likes and dislikes. What we can know of the soul in our physical lives cannot go much beyond this. Willpower is the most important and powerful force in the Universe. If we hope to alter our existence we must do it ourselves. No other force will alter it for us.

END

physical death = back to the consciousness cloud

Only if you live for the future rather than the present.

>If you're not pumping out kids, you're essentially meaningless.

Given where we are as a global civilization, I'm not sure I buy this. From a strictly evolutionary mindset that's our "purpose" as just another species on the planet, but we've gotten to the point where the human race's survival isn't going to be dictated by whether or not I have kids. I think we've moved into an era where figuring out how to solve the issues we've created for ourselves is much more important than putting more of us on the planet.

Physical death = infinite reincarnation in the body of the opposite gender and race so you can all go fuck yourselves.

Yeah, but all that drive for life to survive will ultimately end. On a personal level, living for the moment is a great argument, but how does it fare against the inevitable extinction of consciousness?

Well, we don't know if there is an afterlife (opinion) but if there wasn't one, I might consider (I know this is off topic but listen) I would consider putting myself on an IV full of a solution of saline and LSD with also the chemical N,M, DMT. So that I could experience a sort of fake eternity and reality. I could feel like I'm living longer than I am, Minutes become lifetimes, and I experience trillions of years of existing even if only a few days went by that i was an old man on an IV then died. I would certainly experience things for a very long time from my own perspective, and it might bring me some joy. Even a few hours on the solution would still feel like eternity, if you knew you were dying you could put yourself on the chemical solution and experience something at least close to an afterlife.

Let's discuss!

Interesting, but ultimately flawed. Why give in to a grand illusion to draw out the inevitable?

It's for my own enjoyment, the same reason anyone watches TV, the same reason anyone plays video games, The same reason anyone eats tasty food, a lack of existence isn't enjoyable so prolong it. If the life you are living is boring change it or die.

I like living so why not put myself on a solution that makes me feel like I live forever? it is not flawed it's what I want. You would have to say anything enjoyable or fun is flawed.

I have taken massive doses of LSD, DMT and Salvia. Enough to lose my reality, ego and travel into dream dimensions, etc.

I have never once experienced time differently, though. 5 or 10 minutes may feel a little longer, like 20 or 30 minutes, but it has never felt like hundreds or years or an eternity.

Point is, you can't escape time, even on psychedelics/hallucinogens. And the "knowledge" or "experience" you get while on them is not real knowledge or experience. It is only your brain giving you what you already know. It is not giving you anything new. Drugs can't give you real experiences or enlightenment. This is why the hippie movement failed and died out and became new wave/self help bullshit.

I don't think I understand, there are people who do experience time shifts, and everyone has a different psychedelic experience. I have in fact experienced a time shift and a very great one. DMT has been reported to make you live entire lifetimes in certain doses, higher ones would result in more intense experiences. However because everyone does experience time on psychedelics differently, or anything on psychedelics differently, it is true that some people might not feel like they have extended their own time. But it is true that a lot of people would feel extended or eternal time.

One of the worst delusions people have is the concept of immortality through lineage. The reality is that your offspring has only half your genes. Their children will have only one-fourth, theirs will have one-eighth, and so on until virtually nothing of your genetics remains.

Bump!

If there is an afterlife, our awareness of it would have disappeared long ago through natural selection. The gazelle that knows it's just a moment of pain before being reborn will not fight the lion like one that fears death.

It's not a real time shift, just a perceived one, though. You would be tripping along, experiencing other dimensions and modes of reality. And you may perceive that this will go on for ever, but then *BAAAM* everything goes black a lot sooner than you expected.

From the point of view of the patient, his death is no different than the end of the universe. We could all die at the exact same moment and his death would be no different.

So which is it: are we members of a common universe, or is each person a universe of his own that ends upon his death?

Some people are satisfied with even small traces of themselves. Genghis Khan's been dead for ages now, but he's at least partially succeeded in immortality through posterity.

Pretty well imo. You are alive, deal with it. Death is another matter.

If you view it as always living to survive to the next moment, sure you will hit a stump at death. If you view as living in the moment, death shouldn't stump you.

Why it ever began to surface is beyond me, dumb topic.

It's inevitable: we will build the technology for a virtual reality that we will prefer to our daily lives. We will solve the biological problems that would otherwise keep us from being in that virtual reality always.

That will be the event horizon and demarcation of the end of this universe and the start of the next one. The next one will end the same way, with the emergence of a new reality that breaks its boundaries.

The questions are

- what iteration we are in now?
- what was the original?
- what are we evolving to?
- do we get to exist in each one, or are we just a cog in the wheel of progress of just this one?