What does Sup Forums think of this? I liked it a lot more than Primer

What does Sup Forums think of this? I liked it a lot more than Primer.

Pretentious pseudo-artsy garbage devoid of substance.

it's honestly all I've ever wanted from a piece of fiction

>uses the word artsy as a criticism
Holy shit you're literally too stupid for Sup Forums

I enjoyed it

from memory Sup Forums got all autistic about it when it was released

>got all autistic about it
Uh... Can you clarify? Really have no clue what this means.

this but unironically

You know how people say Refn movies are all style, no substance?

Yeah this is like that except with some of the most boring cinematography, no understanding of use of colors, and absolutely no attempt and conveying anything interesting through a visual medium. This flick sucks.

Pleb bait just like Primer and the movies of Refntino

>Doesn't have gaudy neon shit like Refn films
>Uh.. Carruth doesn't understand colors!
What?

Wow you sure showed me! back to r/movies, you fucking moron.

"boring cinematography" lel

>no understanding of use of colors
the fuck does that even mean. how can you not understand color lol

I love it. It's full of emotion and the concepts of audio are fascinating. The cinematography is wonderful, it's a very colorful film, not sure wha the other user was talking about. I found the story intriguing but ultimately satisfying, the music fantastic, and that its overall a creative and beautiful film

either bait or you're just a retard

no this is retarded:
>no understanding of use of colors

understand compared to what? What is the film misunderstanding, even though it's setting its own precedents in terms of cinematography? You adopt its rules, not the other way round.

You're just making up random shit because you can't into art.

Sound editing was great, probably the most compelling aspect of the film. Also, while Carruth is a serviceable actor when around amateurs (like in Primer), in future projects I hope he takes a more side-character role if he chooses to act, as with Upstream Color Amy Seimetz blew him out of the fucking water.

I think it is at the same level as Prime, they both suck

Carruth is a genius. His understanding of how sound and visuals work together is amazing, as are his concepts of foreign objects. Read the script for A Topiary, it's great.

Upstream Color was a really good movie. If nothing else it was an unconventional love story. So many of the concepts, the memory switching, the audio farmer, we're so unique and beautifully done. Perhaps the human/pig parallels were a little heavy handed, but seeing as how no one seemed to understand the movie, maybe the obviousness of them was necessary. It's got great music, visuals, and story, really everything a great film needs. It's understandable that people wouldn't be a fan of the dialogue, or the lack of 'relatable characters', but both work in this type of movie, not unlike Malick's stream of consciousness style.

>effortposting

i hate this meme

I like everything more than Primer.

Kek primer is a pretty fun and intense first watch, but it's not without its issues. I like UC much better

I think it's a good debut but fuck anyone who genuinely cares about the logic of its timeline. That's the most boring part of Primer's fandom.

It's pretty reddit but slightly less reddit than Primer

What does that even mean

I enjoyed it but I can understand why people wouldn't. I think it's for certain types of people.

This, the dialogue and editing especially tends to be divisive, not to mention the web that is the plot. But Carruth is undeniably talented, and anyone who writes a film off as pretentious has clearly put very little thought into the film.

Serious question, why do people claim this film has no plot? It actually happens with a ton of films, and I almost always fail to see how said movie is without substance.

People hate what they can't understand. If your average Sup Forums browser can't wrap their head around what's going on, they'll just say something like this

Pleb garbage for donnie darko "graduates"

Look, I won't assume that because someone dislikes Upstream Color they didn't understand it, nor will I think they're a pleb for not liking it. If you can articulate what about it didn't work for you, it's all fine. But calling it pretentious is not that. I'm curious though how so many movies are accused of being empty. Most recently Neon Demon and Knight of Cups have been called devoid of substance. Regardless of how I or anyone else feels about it, there's a transformation in both films. I'm also tired of "style/substance". Style is substance, or at the very least they're intwined. It's a false dichotomy. So why do people call films empty and believe not that perhaps they missed the point, but instead that the director purposefully made a film that was about nothing and was made insincerely