Does this upset you?

does this upset you?

it makes me furious

the modern educational system is fucked

if I ever have kids I'm homeschooling them

looks like a 2nd grader learning estimation and he fucked up. This does not upset me. Kid probably didn't follow instructions

I guess the kid was wrong, but come on. Estimation is stupid bullshit. Math is about exact answers

It doesn't say estimate

but it also doesnt ask if 75 is the correct answer, just a reasonable one

giving me cancer

you're welcome. anyone having moar?

Wut

those are all fake so no upset here

silly
wrong
ill-conditioned question

> How Can Americans be so stupid as too vote for Donald Trump?
> How Can the British new so stupid as too vote leave?

Title this pic "Sun Sets On The West".

Whats the problem with this one?

Yup, shit like this is why I pulled my kid from public school systems... That and having to on an almost weekly basis go in and explain why the teacher was wrong about an answer. Stupid shits dont know a thing that isnt printed in a teacher guide.

Not really, just other dumb shit where it's not a teacher

10 minutes to saw 1 board into 2 pieces
to cut a board into 3 pieces takes 2 cuts
each cut will take 10 minutes
20 minutes total to get a board into 3 pieces

count the cuts

Nothing is more reasonable than the exact correct answer you shit

Why yes. Yes it does.

wronng even without the 4-5 fuck up. 2015 in roman numerals looks like this MMXV

One time an english teacher took points off a paper when i used a word she didn't know. so next paper, i used a shit ton of bizarre words nobody knows but were real and used correctly, and she just gave me a zero and told me she didn't feel like getting the dictionary.
so i started yelling about it in front of the whole class and embarrassed her into just giving me an A
thereafter my knowledge of words became a topic of interest for the class and i was always writing very long words on the chalkboard and defining them.
no, i didn't have any friends.

>ill-conditioned question
how? the way the student solved it seems right, while the teachers way doesn't make sense

Ah. I see how one would come to that conclusion now.

Not that user, but the way I thought about it at first was 10minutes to do 2 actions and xminutes to do 3 actions.

>smart kids thinking outside the box being penalize because tyrone dun think so good

well thanks to common core you have to give the answer they expect no matter how stupid it is and even if it's not the correct answer.

Should have escalated it to a higher authority 2bh and threatened to go public about it shame the school so hard no sane parent would enroll their kids there again.

Do you not understand what reasonable means? Anyway I agree with the previous user that said these are probably fake.

It took this bitch 10 min to cut a board in 1/2. It states if she works just as fast, every cut will be 10 minutes. So to make a board into 3 pieces that's 2 cuts ~~ 10 + 10 = 20

>literally training children to think in the most time consuming and inefficent means possible

dont you fucking dare tell me this isnt on purpose.

ffs, and they wonder why kids go on shooting rampages in schools
i have a bad feeling i'm going to be doing a lot of screaming at teachers some day...

How would one come to any other conclusion?

What bothers me the most here is I bet this same system teaches the commutative property of multiplication then states he is wrong.

kill me

NO!

In undergrad my physics professor gave me a 99 on a test instead of a 100. I got every answer correct, but he took off a point to show me that I "couldn't always get everything right," since I hadn't missed any points in the class.

Final year of high school, home room class is this headed by some 20 something hottie that had no business being in charge of a high school class.

None of the boys respected her, constantly gave her shit and teased her. I was the brainy/nerd of our small male group and everyone cheated off me. Teacher did shit about it because she was too stupid to figure it out until the final day of class. She decided to fail me instead of everyone else because I gave her the most shit. Didn't have the spine to tell me she was going to fail me to my face, learned about it when I got my report card. Women are cunts when given any kind of authority.

"the structure of the word problem"
Testing their comprehension more than anything. I guess because the "5" comes before the 3" it should be "five 3's" and not "three 5's"
and I don't know how they determine that "4 x 6" means 4 lines, rather than columns. they probably were told that it's always "lines first, columns second" or some stupid bullshit
I don't like cupcakes

What is order of operations

fuck women, god damn every one of them is a cunt or acting

i wouldnt be mad. he's teaching you shit always isnt in your control. entropy seeps into everything

Just a suggestion? It's 2016.

You should have gone in front of the school bored and complained, I bet she would have lost her job.

How do you even get 1 there?

i damn sure would have if she hadn't reversed the decision after i made a huge scene about it. cared a lot about my gpa.
but it was a public school and the only one that wasn't 40 minutes away by car.

Id be pretty mad. This user clearly has not gotten everything right in every aspect of his life. No one has, everyone knows that. The professor was just being an asshole by penalizing someone for something outside the scope of the course.

Actually sounds like a based professor who cares about your education.

Ultimately, the problem is that people with math degrees can make a lot more money than being a teacher.

School boards all but offer blow jobs and candy for qualified math teachers. They're hard to come by.

The real question is why was marie out of the kitchen?

How is that thinking outside the box, it's the proper approach and answer to the question. The "no one said the pizzas were identical" answer was thinking outside the box.

That doesn't mean teach the wrong thing user.

General mathematics isn't even difficult and should be a requirement for every human to know.

>2016

God help us 2017 bring in some good changes.

20 / 5 ( 2 * 2 )
20 / 5 ( 4 )
20 / 20
They didn't get rid of the parenthesis after solving what was inside it, and then they still didn't work from left to right once all elements were on the same MD/AS
it should have been
20 / 5 ( 2 * 2 )
20 / 5 * 4
4 * 4

kek

It was a he. I'm assuming you're joking and just implying that it wasn't a big deal. I'm not even somebody who cares about having a 4.0. It was just mildly annoying and it seemed extremely petty for the teacher to do that, just because I made his tests seem easy or something.

Could be wrong because it'd take half the time to cut half of a board i.e 10+5 min
but the question is just retarded

Autism

it depends entirely on your assumptions.
here's a solution that would result in the teacher's solution.

nowhere in the problem posed do you assume that the boards are of equal length

and it might seem nit-picky and counterintuitive... but I personally did very poorly in math in elementary school. now i'm working on my PhD. elementary school math is filled with all of these ill-conditioned problems that "punish" imaginative students who can think up several solutions to ambiguous problems

PEMDAS
20/5(2*2)
Parentheses: (2*2)=4
Exponent: None
Multiplication:5×4=20
Division: 20/20=1
Addition: none
Subtraction: none

the joke was only girls do stupid shit like that when it come to teaching, your professor must have been a tranny OR a HUUUGE fucking faggot.

How do you retards know that the teacher actually wrote that comment?

No, the question is clear, the teacher is just thinking the wrong way because she's got girlbrains.

Even though you're right, you're fucking retarded
20/5(4) = 16 as well. It's whats IN the parenthesis that has priority, not next to

Again, it didn't say "what's the most reasonable?", it just asked if 75 was reasonable. Why are you trying to turn your problems with basic comprehension into someone else's math error?

That's what I'm saying. That's how they got their stupid answer, they thought it being in parenthesis still gave it power over division instead of just treating it like multiplication

Right - it's late and I'm tired.

Idk, he was just a dick who liked to think all of his students were stupid. He was always berating students for not being able to do kinetics calculations in their head and shit like that.

This makes me rage!

If it takes 10 minutes to saw through a board, it takes 20 minutes to saw through the board twice!

Fuck that teacher.

here is another example of an ill-posed problem. the ambiguous PEMDAS. in no place outside of primary mathematics education are people unclear about the order in which they intend their operations to take place

see

it's multiplication AND division, not multiplication THEN division. they're equal.

But now there's less board to saw through.

I feel ya man, If a my biology Prof. did that to me I'd lose my shit.
That's my major you're fucking with asshole you better KNOW I'm working to be "perfect" shit like that won't fly with me

stop stealing art you faggot

I think he's just pointing out how retards think

But there's a picture of the board next to the problem

This is because they hire unqualified women to teach. Look at the cbest test for teachers in CA, the math section should be harder for anyone actually teaching math. Testing should be more rigorous and subject specific. Primary and highschool usually don't like competent male teachers, they want a female babysitter. Walk into any middles cool or highschool, it's going to be a 5 women to one guy ratio. If they are nice they will let a guy teach gym or a difficult math class, maybe history if they are lucky. Just look at the pen color and see how right I am.

Bullshit. The order of operations is:

Brackets/Parenthesis
Exponents
Multiplication OR Division
Addition OR Subtraction

Further, when choosing between equal levels (like multiplication and division), do the problem left to right.

Thus, the problem becomes:

20 / 5 x 4, which equals 16 because of the left to right rule.

I am this salty.

no. it seems that the exercise was to see if the student would use estimation, not subtraction. "explain your answer" is highlighted so simple subtraction is NOT the "final answer". subtraction is subtraction, unless there was another requirement to write "definition of subtraction" as a reason for it being correct. in real math, you have to define even numbers as 2n and odd numbers as 2n+1 and perform hundreds of changes based on rules for proofs. obviously this kid missed the point.

see

I know some teachers, and I have heard from them that colleagues ought to be better educated before they are allowed to teach. I suspect your criticism is correct.

Intelligent people don't teach kids. Some of them teach in undergrad, some teach in grad school or professional school. But zero genuinely intelligent people teach in middle school or high school. The most you can expect is a basic level of competence.

It says "another board", not the same one, so no.

Nice trying "critically thinking" there though

20/ 5(2*2)
20/ (10*10)
20/100
1/5

:^)

I did something similar in my grade 12 year. First paper, I used larger than normal/super obscure adjectives throughout the paper, got a high mark. Got it done right off the bat so the dick teacher didn't question my writing skills later on in the year if I used bizarre words.

Fuck you Mr Needles

PEMDAS is a convention to clarify not a mathematical fact.

Shitty math problems stressing that convention is so 1984.

I will likely do the same.

This is wrong but only because "the old way" is the new way, and "common core" is the answer I got using the actual old way.

Holy fuck you are retarded. You're saying that the correct answer is somehow not reasonable?

That's not entirely true. In high school I had a retired military physicist as my physics teacher.

That is a square. A board is:

a piece of sawed lumber of little thickness and a length greatly exceeding its width.

Boards are fucking rectangles!

Fucking teaching book doesn't even know English.

The child answered the question. It wasn't explicitly stated that she wanted a guesstimate for an answer, and the child explained the answer by showing the math.

Libcucks will blur every possible line to push their shit down your throats.

it works if it takes 10 min to cut the board length wise

exactly... it was never 1 before common core

>implying a subtraction cannot be considered a valid explanation

Remove yourself from life