Hey, Sup Forums, any lawyerfags out there? I got a few questions to ask about a recent speeding ticket I got

Hey, Sup Forums, any lawyerfags out there? I got a few questions to ask about a recent speeding ticket I got.

This is my first ever speeding ticket. Mind you, I've gotten other tickets before, just not any for speeding. This is the first.

Now, the traffic stop went very smoothly. "How are you officer? No, officer. Yes, officer." The whole ordeal was over with in about ten minutes. I didn't try to get out of the ticket or anything.

The officer told me one thing, "you were going about 45 in a 35 back there," when the ticket said 50 in a 35. I know that isn't grounds to fight the ticket, but I'm typically pretty good when it comes to my speed. I typically at most only go about 5 over the posted limit, for example if the limit is 35, I drive 40 and turn on cruise control so I WON'T go over 40 accidentally. Unfortunately, I wasn't using my cruise control at this time, but I was aware of my general speed, because down that street, the posted limit changes from 35 to 30 down the road more, and I typically slow down to about 35 when I hit that sign.

So at this point, I'm pretty positive that I was NOT going 50 in a 35. Should I fight it at my court date? If so, should I ask for radar proof that I was going 50 in a 35? Should i ask when the last time the radar gun was calibrated?

Pic unrelated.

OP here. Forgot to include to;dr version.

TL;DR version:
>Got ticket few days ago
>Don't think I was actually speeding
>Can I fight this ticket?
>Should I fight this ticket?
>Can I ask for radar gun proof?
>Should I?

Not a lawyerfag but my brother gets tickets like these all the time and he swears up and down that if you fight it 80% of the time you'll get away with it because it costs more for them to prosecute than the fine is worth. So I say go for it dude.

He's a britfag though so if you are in the US I dont know if the advice carries over

Shameless self bump

It won't cost much more than your time to fight it, and generally unless you seem to be a scumbag the judge will throw it out or reduce it. Go in, be polite, plead your case, the cop probably won't even show up to fight it.

Yeah, in the US, unfortunately. Crappy state of IL.

I was just doing some reading, I read on a lot of pages that if the officer doesn't show up to the court date they'll dismiss the ticket. I also read that trying to stretch out the court date is key to getting it dismissed. I just want to know if it's worth it to do that.

Also kek my captcha was "select images of street signs" and One of them was a speed limit sign.

Like I've said, I've gotten other tickets before, but most of the time they get dropped. Some of the tickets I've gotten: Not having the right insurance on me (usually gets dismissed when I show up to court with the right one from the date i was pulled over), loud exhaust (dismissed with receipt from exhaust shop), obstructed view (cleared up my windows and took pics with my phone, judge said "oh don't worry about it, I believe you.")

Another self bump? Another shameless self bump.

Unsuccessful thread was unsuccessful.

Karhu on parasta olutta
Bear is the best beer

Thanks for the bump, friendo.

show up to court, talk to the judge, you'll probably get fines reduced

what do you have to lose? 20 minutes of your life? you're sitting on Sup Forums at 4:30am i cant imagine your time is that valuable

If the police can't confirm your actual speed they can't make you pay for the ticket. You should have asked for proof on the spot.

Fight the system OP, don't be a pushover like so many people. Stand up for your rights

I'm not worried at all about lost time. I go to uni, so I don't work during the week. I have all that time. Where do you see me complain about time?

Cont.... Police have a quota of tickets to give out. And if the police actually said "you were going about 45" that means they probably don't have proof. They just hope you bend over and take it.

Yeah, after so many tickets, I'm starting to get "desensitized" to the whole fear of getting pulled over. Now it's just more of a nuisance than a fear, as opposed to a few years ago when I first got pulled over for running a "red light."

Now I just want to know if I can actually fight this so my insurance won't go up, if anything.

woah there turbo, where did i say you were complaining?

I actually read the whole "quota" thing was a myth, and that even if they do, it's a very small number, like less than 10 per month.

What really worries me, though, is after he told me I was speeding, I said "Really? Oh, I didn't realize." I'm sure I fucked myself over by saying that, unless he didn't record it in some way.

Kek. I assumed you were giving me shit.

It's actually 6:50 around here, so I'm a few hours ahead, but it's still too early to function.

They don't have to confirm the speed. In my state they can check the "Estimated" box instead of using a radar gun, etc...

Also in my state the cop doesn't need to show up. They assign one cop to do traffic court and he'll say "Officer Joe has 15 years on the force and has written 2500 speeding tickets, none of which have been overturned." and you're guilty.

The fact he said you were going
about 45" then ticketed you for doing 50 tells me you gave him attitude and the 15 over is his :thanks" for that.

As stated in my first post, I gave him zero attitude, was respectful as shit. Asked him how his night was going and told him to stay warm. Didn't argue about the ticket at all. I was literally two blocks from my house and I thought that when he found out I lived literally two blocks away he would have dropped it and given me a warning. He didn't, but i didn't bring it up again. Again, like I said, the whole stop took about ten minutes, and a majority of that time was him sitting in his squad car typing up the ticket.

This time, everything was good, license was in order, I had the correct insurance on me (this time), I was giving him absolutely zero shit.

And yes, I'm well aware that in some states the officer doesn't have to show up for it to still be upheld. I'm just wondering if IL is one of those states.

Self bump, for anyone else who's curious

You should probably stfu and pay the ticket you dumb shit, don't speed m8.

You should see a lawyer.

Do some Google searches. Call them. Everything you get here will not be reliable or credible.