/daily/ - 311 Edition

CHILL

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/hampus_gronvall/magenta_circuit/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/ekkehard-ehlers/plays-john-cassavetes/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/stars_of_the_lid/the_tired_sounds_of_stars_of_the_lid/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/gas/pop/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/aphex_twin/selected-ambient-works-volume-ii/
youtube.com/watch?v=g8aqAgtwqcU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=p75BvKLauuA
m.youtube.com/watch?v=SieOXclOag0
youtube.com/watch?v=Fw9xFEf4DSc
youtube.com/watch?v=ZjlSZwCoXDU
youtu.be/7_HIEQRp_ZI
youtube.com/watch?v=zmwDaFdVd8U
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just came in to say thank you

Investigate 311

Why do no 90% of ambient albums on rym have some twelve paragraph long ultra-sentimental non-review with 20+ upvotes where the reviewer talks about their childhood and shedding a single tear every time they play that album and quote Thomas Pynchon or some shit? Imagine if Pitchfork or any other music publication wrote a review like that. People would shit on them SO hard (deservedly).

Can we stop this shit? Like, now, preferably?

Holy shit MacKenzie Theory (and this Out Of The Blue album) is so good. They can get that funky sound in their rock without overdoing it, the textures are so diverse, the violin is absolutely rockin it, too. The note choices are making me smile.

I think the top review on Hampus' Magenta Circuit parodies this pretty well imo:
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/hampus_gronvall/magenta_circuit/

Can we just kill this type of reviews for all kinds of music because this happens so much in every other genre

Oh my god i love that review so much
I listened to this ep a while ago and it was p bad desu but not a 1.38 bad, like a 2.05 bad

yeah shit happens all the time and it always is super highly praised. I always find sad singer/songeriter and ambient music are the big offenders though. Can we just talk about what you liked/dislike about the music instead of name-dropping how many philosophers you've read wikipedia summaries about? Shit drives me up the wall.

holy shit I never noticed this but it's so true. I can't think of any examples but I see it all the time.

rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/ekkehard-ehlers/plays-john-cassavetes/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/stars_of_the_lid/the_tired_sounds_of_stars_of_the_lid/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/gas/pop/

Peep the reviews of these albums that have the most upvotes (not necessarily the ones that show up first). A lot of garbage non-reviews about crying. A common theme in ambient I've noticed.

And just for fun, here's a GOOD highly rated ambient album review:
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/aphex_twin/selected-ambient-works-volume-ii/
Not incredible or anything, but it actually talks about the MUSIC!! Fancy that!

>sad singer/songwriter and ambient music are the big offenders though
Absolutely correct. I don't mind people just writing about their childhoods and being all super sentimental and emotion, they're not professional reviewers and they don't need to follow any rules to review, but don't try to fucking legitimize it by adding shitty philosopher quotes.

Whenever i do my chart i'm gonna mark every album that has one of these reviews just to see how bad the ratio is. My new chart is mostly bleep and jazz so i dont think i'll find much.

what's your favorite track from hamilton this is mine
youtube.com/watch?v=g8aqAgtwqcU

hahahaha

Fuck that's the first thing I thought of

as someone who has penned a review of that very type i apologize

Yeah. I enjoy popular accounts like telephone_junkie and a lot of their funny reviews, but in all honesty 3/4th of their reviews are just like that, and should probably be deleted from RYM because they're usually never actually about the music.

I like how RYM almost never promotes the shit sentimental reviews on the front page and almost all the ones there are actually about the music.

nice trips and good meme

haha it's fine idc but it just annoys me how common they are and how highly they're praised.

a lot of those reviews are shit but I like sentimental reviews, music is emotional so it's nice seeing the attachment others have to it. it does help if they talk about the music at least a little tho.

wew am arguing with you a lot today

Personally, if you're writing a longer review, I think you should never use the word "I" in the first 4th of your review, or even the first paragraph. I've found referencing yourself is an easy way to alienate someone when you're trying to write something convincing. Especially if it doesn't apply to the music. I'm guilty of this in my Kairon; IRSE review that got front-page'd though.

And I like plenty of ultra-sentimental reviews when they're more substance (talking about the music and how it effected them) rather than pure feeling (talking about how they lay in an empty field, quote obscure philosophers, and drink la croix). The latter says nothing to me other than you might have just found this when you were very impressionable.

And I'm saying a lot of edgy shit so it's to be expected haha.

>effected

I suck at my own language. You've probably noticed by now.

Also why does this kind of captcha keep popping up if it never fucking works.

i fucking HATE the street sign ones, literally they are broken

sometimes they want u to hit the squares with the pole in them, sometimes they dont

fucking DAMNIT

these are so fun tho! i've never had any trouble with them.

Just set it to use the legacy captcha system you stupid niggers

captcha needs to be easier so dumb apes like me have a chance to shitpost once in a while

but that would make too much sense.

say it with me: Comus is not freak folk!

What's freak folk?

Neither is Exuma

>tfw you STILL haven't heard magenta circuit
I SHOULD JUST S/T

I mean you're not missing much. It's pretty much just the sound of hampus eating chips for nearly half an hour. He himself admits it's just a joke, and it's terrible, boring, and absolutely essential.

have you seen the PDF booklet that comes with it though? It's very important for the listening experience.

lolwut. No. Link pls.

>I-I was just pretending to be a bad musician IRONICALLY guys. I could TOTALLY make good music if I tried h-haha

nvm found a link on slsk

please stop using my name it hurts my feelings ;(

itt post your favorite iteration
mine is iteration 6

looks like bootleg Uncle Meat lmao.

mine's GOTTA be skhul and qafzeh, mainly because they sound like made-up Liturgy words but are actually real.

>made-up Liturgy words
are you telling me kel valhaal and haelegen aren't real words

pubic train

Check this out
m.youtube.com/watch?v=p75BvKLauuA
m.youtube.com/watch?v=SieOXclOag0

>el violador de conejos
collab with bad bunny when

this looks like a parody of reggaeton desu, the very very straightforward lyrics and video, very simple beat, short length and wacky looking emcee gives off that vibe. especially that weird instagram video that plays at the end. still a pretty solid track, where's he from? pretty obvious it's not a puertorican.

mega francesita was alright, mix of house/edm music with reggaeton, but it didn't interest me.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fw9xFEf4DSc
you hear the new bad bunny track?

Haven't listened to this one
>good mix of edm and reggaeton
The focus is the hatsune miku sample desu, that's the kind of shit i am looking forward to. And yes it's kind of a parody but he seems serious about it. The track is straight fire with women and it fucking bangs. And no, this new Bad Bunny track i haven't check, i will later. Bad Bunny is the most interesting guy in reggaeton right now, his flow is amazing and he is even making a bunch of venezuelan rappers go trap. Right now it's either him, Bryant Mayers and Arcangel (EL DUENDE MALVADO) as the front runners of latin trap. All based lads. #RG4L #freeanuel

Any Pig Destroyer fans here? Heard an interesting interpretation regarding Prowler in the Yard and it's intro.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZjlSZwCoXDU

"Does anyone else think that the intro might be a metaphor for how we as fans of brutal music interpret the art form in comparison to the rest of the world? The girls are the music, the perverted guy is us and the lady is reflective of mainstream attitudes towards extreme expressions of transgressive art."

>The focus is the hatsune miku sample desu
Didnt notice lol

I dont know about venezuelan rappers much so i'll take your word for it

Arcangel's been in the game since 2004 though, glad he made a comeback and with actual good music haha. I think right now bryant myers is the front runner of latin trap and bad bunny is the up and comer that's gonna change the scene. That is, until Anuel comes outta jail #freeanuel

hecc yeh, me and nyar iirc. And I don't think it's that deep, but it's an interesting interpretation.

sicc love me some polball

nyar recs:

Seu Jorge - The Life Aquatic Studio Sessions Featuring Seu Jorge (2005)
>film soundtrack, acoustic rock, MPB

Portugese covers of Bowie songs with a nice MPB twist. It's all really pleasant, and Jorge is a great vocalist and guitarist, but this is really just background music at it's core. The rhythmic differences and of course the differences in volume make these songs different from Bowie's originals, but besides that the songs are all still here, written the same way they were when they were first recorded. In making Bowie's music more low-key you lose a lot of the great moments present in the original tracks, namely the great choruses. The soaring choruses of "Starman" and "Life on Mars?", to name a few, lose a lot when the arrangements are taken out and replaced with pleasant acoustic guitar stuff. I like this, it's a pleasant listen and a nice addendum to both Bowie and Jorge's catalogues, along with the film itself, but it's not anything I would ever return to, Jorge's great but no one can really do justice to these tracks and make covers of them worthwhile at all.

2.5-

stick recs:

Vladislav Delay - Kuopio (2012)
>dub techno, ambient techno

Wow, I didn't know this guy could make something as banging and hard-hitting as this. Entain and Vocalcity are both great albums, but they're far from what I would consider "hard-hitting", they're nice, smooth, occasionally glitchy ambient techno albums. This, however, borders on industrial techno at some points, and it's pretty fucking awesome. Not big on the more ambient tracks, and sometimes the tracks take a bit too long to get going, but most of this is /really/ damn good. I always kinda thought that Vladislav Delay burned out early in his career because I've rarely heard any fanfare for his most recent stuff, but this is one of the more interesting, banging, most entertaining techno releases I've heard in a while.

3.0+

Stick wins!!!

Should I steal 20 albums from your RYM?

:D
You've probably heard most of my 4.5s so take all of those you haven't heard then tell me how many more you need.

Oh and my 5s obviously

>The Necks - Unfold

This is their 19th studio album and still no dip in quality. In fact, Blue Mountain may be one of their best tracks ever. Though it's difficult to classify a best Necks track since most of their records are released as one.

Unfold is not so much an album as it is a collection of songs. The Necks have stated that there is no intended ordering of the four 15-20 minute tracks and they encourage people to figure out an order that suits them. Perhaps it's a little gimmicky, but I don't dislike this idea. I'll start off with Blue Mountain since it's my aforementioned personal favorite and I've been listening to it non-stop. The way this song builds is nothing short of orgasmic. The Necks slowly craft and build these massive, lumbering epics without drifting off into noise or solo wankery, which is probably why I love almost all of their output. Blue Mountain is one of the best examples of this and it rivals Flood by Boris (though to be fair to Flood, Blue Mountain does not spend as long a time building up).

It starts off like any Necks track would, and once again I am astounded by the range of sounds that this band is able to squeeze out of piano, drums, and bass. Though this album in particular adds a lot of ancillary percussion. They are these metallic sounds that I can't easily classify. The track continues, a piano riff being the main focus that dances on top of the rolling drums and the twinkling chimes in the background. The double bass is slowly chugging along as well, sometimes swelling quietly in the background but never overtaking the piano. It's kind of a melancholy tune and very hypnotic. It's like jazzy ASMR to me.

(1/2)

The track evolves so slowly that you don't even notice it, and all of a sudden, the drums are really pounding now, cymbals are clashing, and the piano has become more pensive. You need to listen to this song LOUD. And I mean LOUD. It's really something. From here on out, it can't be described, only experienced. The way they hold this behemoth together without devolving into complete chaos really speaks to this band's genius and skill. Once again, before you know it, it’s over and you bask in the glory.

While the remaining 3 tracks don’t come close to Blue Mountain in terms of quality, I think they are quite good when compared to most of their songs, and like I mentioned before, their percussion is super inventive this time around. Timepiece, the longest track on the album, is a pretty big departure from their regular sound, surging forth from the primordial ooze. It’s off kilter and tribal sounding though still being, as usual, hypnotic and evolving. The track is muddy, dark, and almost industrial if not for the shimmering piano to lighten the mood. Unfortunately, as interesting as this track sounds, the progression isn’t the best, only getting more energetic over time and not going anywhere particularly interesting. As mood music, it works well.

Rise is kind of the polar opposite, with a standard sound but with really fucking weird progression that sounds like a bunch of instruments being played separately, somewhat coming together and making sense briefly before slightly shifting off to something else. I like it quite a lot. It’s nice when this kind of laid back music fucks with your expectations.

(lol I misjudged how much I wrote there's another part)

Overhear is my least favorite off this album because of this rather annoying instrument that is constantly in the background. I don’t know what the fuck it is, but it sounds like someone scraping something or shaking rice in a metal bowl. It would have an ASMR-like quality to it if it wasn’t so damn loud. Despite this, the organ playing on this track is stellar and the constant seesaw heartbeat of the bass is pleasant. It’s the most minimal track on this album, and to be honest it holds the album back a lot, and I bet a lot of people who listen to this album will absolutely hate this track but oh well.

Overall, great album despite minor flaws that presents a deep atmosphere to get lost in, which is what I always look for in music. So yeah take this review with a grain of salt because I’m becoming a fanboy and in my eyes these guys can do no wrong.

tl;dr listen to blue mountain holy shit it’s so good it’s on spotify, it’s 20 minutes long, you have no excuse

Puerto rico polandball is great but i wish there were more than 5 of them

the big winners drone!!!

trip up, does this look good?

nah, there are actually still some 4.5s left. tell me if i should replace any of the ones i used.

Holy frick no way you haven't listened to Mercury Rev and SAW II yet.

Other avs here are Fishmans (duh), Autechre, Sparklehorse, Aksak Maboul, Zappa (not even his top 5 live albums though), and Lee Noble like damn this might as well be a mini-Fish drone too have fun with this man.

All Delighted People has some of Suffy's best and most relistenable opening track, and is super bloated. Predicting a 2.0/2.5.

I predict you will give 2.5 to Godspeed even though that's their best (follow a reply to this post with their best IS a 2.5 hur hur so original).

if you think allelujah is better than slow riot you need to get your head checked (also nat will pan it)

Do Sum of the Men by MitB instead of SOAD, and do Castlemania instead of A Weird Exits

Okay ya know what no you're right.

Slow Riot > Allelujah > FA∞ > Skinny Fists > Yankee > Asunder

I'm sure everyone else would probably swap skinny fists and allelujah but I'm edgy like that mang.

Hot opinion: crescendocore is 100% best post-rock and GY!BE has one of the most solid, consistent outputs of any band ever.

Hell yeah I am BLASTING Godspeed tonight when I'm slammed and no one is gonna stop me.

even i was shocked that i haven't heard those yet.

and this is how you get back at me for losing you sneaky fish

F#A#infinity and LYSF are both 3.0 albums to me btw, so i predict the same with 'allelujah!

>F#A#infinity and LYSF are both 3.0 albums to me btw
isn't everything??

If you give Allelujah more than a 3.0- then jangle has to give me $5. But if the reverse happens jangle also has to give me $5.

Jangle. Give me $5.

I still need to listen to Slow Riot

>tfw you write your goodnight post replying to a bunch of things but it gets deleted
Hhhhhhhhh

youtu.be/7_HIEQRp_ZI

The jazz albums here are great, especially Monk (his best by far!)
I have an original pressing of that king crimson album i got for $10 from some guy at a record convention but it's in the nastiest condition possible. Still the best crimson tho

>system of a down
Haha, that albums actually not too bad, hopeyou like it

>Slow Riot > Allelujah > FA∞ > Skinny Fists > Yankee > Asunder
100% correct!

>Hot opinion: crescendocore is 100% best post-rock and GY!BE has one of the most solid, consistent outputs of any band ever.
Oh....

i think if you swap allelujah and f#a# and add some >>>>> between yankee and asunder you're good but the most important thing is slow riot

It's not even 30 minutes and it's best godspeed and also probably on youtube so you have L I T E R A L L Y no excuse.

I called it a hot opinion for a reason bub ;)

ight we good

I really enjoyed Asunder actually but I'm a GYBE fanboy idec

Actually fuck it, do SOAD instead of thee oh sees

that is a juicy ass chart dude, looks great. think it works really well b/c stick and i seem to have v different taste

Right, I just finished listening to Parallel Lines, and being fair, I throughly enjoyed the arguably power pop songs in the album - "Hanging in the Telephone", "One Way or Another", "11:59"...

Any similar reccomendations?

Yes, I know, plebian taste, but, still.

although i could see you HATING tyranny

t. fartsniffer

There was already a pig rant on this subject.
It's probably magnified for minimalist music due to their being less actual subject matter.

>music is slowed down to -30%
>4 days in
>everything is reduced to some sludgy vaporware
recommended/10

I feel like Asunder really did not compare to the scale of their earlier works. It was so unmemorable and boring. Also it's not even new material.

what happens if i five star it?

>(his best by far!)
very very excited for it, i've never been too big on Monk but it's always been because I don't like the performances of his sidemen, so him solo sounds awesome.

and i've got a soft spot for SoaD, because their singles were near and dear to me when I was (even) younger.

bold choice!

i was thinking that, your taste falls a lot more on the indie side and stick's is mostly metal/electronic.

ooh you gotta check out the Cars and Big Star if you want more old-school power pop.

i like human sadness and where no eagles fly so it could go either way

that pig was about shit music reviews in general, mine is definitely more specific.

>what happens if i five star it?
jangle gives me $5

have you heard any other zappa live stuff? What did you think of it?

to me, new studio recording = new material, as I wouldn't have heard it otherwise.

man, every time i think i can pinpoint your taste I'm off
also have you heard women's s/t? even if you don't put it on this chart you should check it out eventually

>I lost to the person in first
>I'm basically 2nd

>If you give Allelujah more than a 3.0- then jangle has to give me $5. But if the reverse happens jangle also has to give me $5.
DEAL.

>that pig was about shit music reviews in general, mine is definitely more specific.
nope wrong

caught up again, feels good.

Abdel Karim el Kabli - Sudan: The Music and Songs of Abdel Karim el Kably (????)
>nubian music

There is a /lot/ of passion here, but it's very low-key. el Kably's playing and singing is very calm and controlled, but there's a lot of power and feeling underneath the surface. While the tracks might sometimes feel a bit too passive and unobtrusive, the performance here makes up for any shortcomings in the actual songwriting, so the album is just a damn nice listen. I've gotta dig into more nubian music.

you're on fukker

also how is mine not more specific? It's about shitty reviewing that occurs primarily in two genres very consistently, while the yours is pretty broad (but also true).

i actually haven't, weirdly enough, but i've got roxy & elsewhere and the shut up 'n play yer guitar comp downloaded so i'll check em out soon.

i haven't, even though i love public strain. i'll listen to it soon, tonight probably.

solid logic

Fucc bois, do I go out tonight, or stay home and listen to music.

>that image
t. autism

I mean he's not wrong. Self-inserting is a great way to do ensure your review is shit, but in writing in general it's pretty tacky and frowned upon.

Yeah its not a general criticism but it's part of why I didn't like it especially

>soon, tonight probably
hype

>caught up
Except it's the 11th

Also
>not using the most recently updated chart

Dun fucked up

>also how is mine not more specific? It's about shitty reviewing that occurs primarily in two genres very consistently, while the yours is pretty broad (but also true).
The only thing you added is to say it's more prevalent in certain types of music, but it's the exact same gripe.

Boy I'm really slowing down w/ these. This chart may have been too ambitious

Henry Flynt - You Are My Everlovin/Celestial Power
>Drone, Minimalism, Free Folk

This is exactly the kind of stuff /daily/ loves but I just can’t for the life of me get into. The concept is quite unique, as Flynt blends Hindustani Classical music with some country/folk influences. It feels a lot like the Pelt album I checked out, with repetitive instrumentation (duh) but also some little folky in a weird way. There’s some hillbilly blues kind of stuff thrown in here, which makes this interesting, particularly on “Celestial Power”. But I think this is a prime example of an album that’s much better in concept that execution, I couldn’t get into this at all.

2.0/5

Doing Kinks next and then probably Pedro Santos

can i get a "wew"

dude delete this

You fucked up, my guy.

I'm about to watch yojimbo what am I in for lads

i'll give u a 2/5 u fucking FASCIST

i meant caught up to today, i'm listening to the 11th's album rn.

and i didn't even realize you listened to the last album, wew.

+length
+name-dropping philosopher/author
+crying
+how acclaimed they are
+ambient/singersongwriter

so I'd say it's pretty specific. It's a similar gripe for sure though. And it's a common problem anyone who uses the site runs into anyways.

o hecc

redeemed by trips tho

W E W L A D

E

W

L

A

D

Knew I'd get this kind of response, I just don't like drone at all lol. Doesn't do much for me even though it's a cool concept

I even fucked up the formatting on the wew. Christ

I'm at work rn and adult swim is playing on the tv and I swear there was part of an autechre song on one of those commercial bumps.

rap...

crap....

cRAP???

???

ure only woke if u noticed this

wrong

youtube.com/watch?v=zmwDaFdVd8U

anyone got a hot take on this?

POST you're face when jangle is a libertarian