So Sup Forums, I have a choice to make and I can't get anyone to give me any good advice, so here goes

so Sup Forums, I have a choice to make and I can't get anyone to give me any good advice, so here goes

>be me, get bachelors degree in medical biology and want to do research for a bit
>have GF who is applying to veterinary schools
>live in central Mass, and recieve two job offers

Job 1
>32,500 a year
>in Boston
>friends and family nearby
>could move out with other friends and GF
>Neuroscience lab (I don't give a shit about neuroscience)
>I'm basically a monkey cage cleaner

Job 2
>35,000 per year
>genetics lab (want to get my masters in genetics)
>Brand new lab where I would be doing actual science/meaningful experience
>full tuition reimbursement
>Is in Bar Harbor Maine, so no friends, family, or GF
>Bar Harbor is a 3 hour drive from the nearest city, and 5 hours away from home, 8 1/2 hours away from GF

so what do you think Sup Forums? everyone keeps telling me to "make my own choices" and "whatever you think would make you happy" and shit like that

Gonna dump some random shit to try and keep this alive

Neither...........that pay is horrible.......

welcome to my life, either beats living at home and working another day in retail

I'd go with family and girlfriend. You want to keep them years later in your life, so it doesn't make sense to try to separate from them.

This

I'm leaning that way, but if the GF leaves for vet school anyway then I feel like I will have wasted an opportunity at a better position

You still have your family though, so not really. Wen shit hits the fan, they're close by. And you never know when shit will hit the fan.

Actually I've been in the same boat......if you are planning on doing something else and not sticking with the job pick the one that will best aid you in moving into your next career........I wouldn't stick around for because of friends/family/gf....there's plenty of time to visit friends and family even if you are a few hours away......and GFs come and go........you will be spending most of your time at work so make it worth the effort.........500-600 bucks after taxes a week sucks..

I disagree with this guy and can speak from a similar experience.

>26 (turn 27 tomorrow)
>Certificate in programming
>Choose between two jobs

>Job one:
>45,000
>That is literally right on my doorstep at Penn State University
>Could live at home with mom and save money
>Only doing front end web development

>Job 2
>52,000 a year
>In a frozen wasteland in Ohio where I don't know anybody
>Doing all sorts of different stuff that will make me valuable

I know this is going to sound calloused but you have to do what's best for your career. Don't take this the wrong way but, no matter how badly you love your girlfriend, you're both going to change so much in a few years that you'll most likely grow apart.

Go with the money and what's best for your career.

Although I don't have plans on working at this particular lab forever, the work they are offering is way closer to what I want to do career wise, and yea the pay is ass, but I should be able to pay off loans and live well enough

still gonna post random shit

I mean it definitely pays better than the other option.

Also, this may come as a surprise to you, but you're going to find it a lot harder off your student loans and getting set up in a new town for 35k a year than you might think.

If you're already on route to getting your masters in genetics, I would take job B. Job A if I wasn't working on my masters.

Gonna try and keep this going just a little bit longer

You don't have to spam your own thread. It doesn't make it last longer.

Is she the one? If not, Job 2.
If 8 & half hours away by car, take the plane.

When you say " this particular lab " I assume you mean lab # 2???..The one that pays slightly more???.......Your management of money is your business but I can tell you getting out of debt early and saving early is the key to a successful future.......If you take the closer job will you still live at home? If so you could easily save yourself a minimum of 10k a year which is about 13k before taxes.........

I've done some digging, and cost of living is manageable, and even if I stay close I want to move out, living at home is awful

I'm not at the moment, fresh out and not in any program yet

she gives one hell of a BJ

You got a degree to work that salary? Sucks man you'll be paying your plumber 100 an hour. Let that sink in while you stare at that sweaty ass crack.

So does any other woman and a bunch of men. Shit logic.
If you'd said you love her, that would be different.

job 2 clearly

Yea I did, and I can't stand living at home, I have 4 brothers, and 2 of them are in their angsty high school phase

Yea it sucks, from a working class family and fell into the "education is the gateway to success" meme

Commitment is scary, been together about 3 years, relationship is super healthy, we make each other better and help each other deal with their respective issues

That 32,500 will go a lot further up in Maine. Cost of living is much cheaper up there. If you're into the outdoorsy stuff definitely go to Maine. If you like the city life and being broke stay in Boston.

Your family will always be there for you to visit, so you shouldn't let moving away front them hold you back... Is the girlfriend willing to move with you? Sounds like this job is an investment in your future. If she loves you she'll understand that and hopefully go with you.

..........how much debt did you acquire?

I have had three job offers out of state i turned doqn to be closer to my girlfriend at the time. I then put a ring on it to validate. She turned into trash and today im at a dead end job with no girlfriend. Things like this will tear you apart and if you dont do what you wanna do. You wind up a cuckold catering to her dreams she will end up putting before you anyways. Do you man not her. Please user

Sage advice right here

35,000 per year in Maine, and yea it seems way cheaper

More than I should have, hindsight is 20/20 and all that

I understand. I was about 6 months away from getting a GIS degree when I found out that bachelor's was going to pay 28k less coming out than I was making fixing ice cream machines. I quit the next week. Needed 2 more years of school to beat my salary. Wouldn't ever be able to get even close to what I could easily make opening my own mechanical company. I still fix ice cream machines and should be making well over 200k a year when I launch off on my own soon.

....I wish you luck user.........I hope you put yourself first so you can avoid anymore 20/20 hindsight and get that mess cleaned up........You will be much further ahead if you take the job path that will help you move your career up AND work on fixing your financial situation ........I have a feeling though that's not what you are gonna choose........

Unfortunately I'm too deep at this point to back out, and what I make now is barley enough to pay loans while living at home

From how this thread is going I will probably strike out to Maine in a week or so, everyone here is making solid sense

#2 sounds way better, women come and go and unless you're looking to get married just find another. 5 hours is reasonable to see family for holidays and you'll be getting experience you can use + should be making way more after adjusting for cost of living.

Job 2 is better

Am I behind in life?

I'm 27 years old, still living with mother, not working full time, just started university, haven't been in a relationship in 3 years. Only have 4,000 dollars saved up.

Reason I ask is cause I see some of my old "friends" who graduated got married and already buying there first houses. Really starting to think to just stop going to school and work full time.

Well then my friend you need to double down and become the best. I want you to invent the next crisper. Go get your doctorate in the future. Go slowly. Debt is a tool but can also be ball and chain.

Ya you're behind but not lost. I wouldn't go down the path of a college degree..........I'd focus on a technical degree......don't go taking loans no matter how easy they are....you can probably find several grants that will be offered to you......work part time and stay in school....save all you can......

>debt is a tool
Sure as shit doesn't feel like one

No, but you are close. Add a bitch into the mix and you are on the knife edge. Doesn't really matter what you do when it's just you but if you have kids or a partner your life is now bigger than you. After kids your life is forfeit and you have to put their betterment in front of your happiness. This seems like a raw deal but pays dividends later on in life.

Remember no one takes anything you do in a career truly seriously before the age of 40.

Then you did it wrong and it's a ball and chain. Plug the hole in the boat before you start bailing

Job 2. Hands down. Stir some shit up.

I would like to continue with my studies but its just weird going to classes and im like the oldest guy there while the majority is 19 year olds.

What are you going for?

Bio

Most of them wont know what they want to do and are wasting thier time. You have the benefit of knowing yourself better and hopefully have some more maturity. It is the dumbest thing that we expect people to know what they want to do with their lives when they get out of high school. You haven't even gotten off the parents teet and don't even know what you don't know. Waiting a bit can be an advantage, unless you make it otherwise.

2nd job. dont be an idiot, if she loves you you'll find a way of staying together

If her blowing skills are all that hold you, pick job 2.

If its meant to be the distance won't be a bother either.

go with job 1

instead of diving head first into the best thing available right now, you should stick with working in a lab closer to gf, friends, etc to avoid burnout.

the pay isn't much less and i think it would benefit you and your quality of life more.

there's more, I just don't want to gush and have ppl tell me how women are all bitches and she doesn't really care about me and all that

that's what I was thinking at first, but everyone here is making me realize that it's pointless for my career

I'd take lower pay to stay with family and gf, OP. Keep them close user

for fucks sake stay in school.
im 24, i got married at 20, and have been in school for 6 years now (switched from architecture to mechanical engineering to physical therapy) and now that im almost done with school i am so glad i never stopped to take some of the full time job offers i have gotten.
degrees are where its at, no matter how long it takes.

There isn't even any question. Job B. Your family will always be your family no matter how far from them you live. You are going to work for that pittance you might as well get relevant experience out of it. If your girl is the one you'll make it work. if not you'll find someone else. Done deal.

Your pay comparison is too simple.
You should compare pay + living cost in the respective place. So figure out how much rent would be among other things for place b.

Also the reason everyone says "decide for yourself" is imo cause they know B is better longterm for your career but they aren't comfortable to say "discard gf&family for your own benefit"

I figured as much, but that's why I came here, so random people on the internet could give me more unbiased advice

I made more money at age 16 then you do now.
Now I have a degree in med lab sciences (basically same as yours) and my salary is literally double your first offer
Tldr? Neither. Pay is garbage at both jobs

Neither isn't really an option, what would you have me do instead?

Apply to be a lab tech in a hospital.

do you want to leave somewhere else? if the answer is yes, do it. If not then go with option 1. Its a lot of sacrifice for $2500 difference.

Tried that, they all wanted prior experience, I applied anyway but didn't get anything

I'm unsure if it would be worth it, that's kind of the whole point of asking what you think