Death Grips confirmed to be just a Zach Hill project?

That moment when your favourite member of a band is put as a third wheel

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c3tyNjJzuIM
youtube.com/watch?v=8nutVnGfTFg
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/69759296
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hmmm
Who gives a damn?

1. I don't blame Factmag for DG's inadequacy to conduct a proper interview like a bunch of regular human beings and then correcting FM when nobody can figure out what each member does
2. "This seems to get mixed up often" and will continue to get mixed up often if they can't give straight answers on anything until after the damage is done
3. Andy is the prettiest so it doesn't matter anyways
4. Why so many threads on DG? I mean I'll post in all of them but there's already one active.

yeah idk how anyone who's listened to zach hill's other stuff wouldn't realize it
that stuff is all him
obviously not the vocals lol but people seem to think like andys doing all the music and its just zach on drums or something

>ilys stuff
when the fuck is the decigram stuff coming out

This makes me happy, but I feel a lot of the fine tuning production-wise is due to andys input

>Fine tuning production wise
Don't you mean mixing and mastering? Also, isn't that what recording engineers do?

seems like bullshit

andy can not be not involved into the producing

they said in the past that Flatlaner is a duo of Zach and Andy as producers

here's Andy's track that sounds a lot like Hacker:
youtube.com/watch?v=c3tyNjJzuIM

also related photo was made during their Exmilitay era

I always thought recording engineers were purely there to make sure the technical aspect runs smoothly and didn't have any creative input

Could be, I don't make music so I wouldn't know. Looking at it, still looks like it involves aspects of mixing but wouldn't necessarily master the album?

Doesn't matter to me, Andy could carry around a cowbell and hit it every so often and I'd be happy.

Mixing, fine tuning and providing his own sounds is what andy is doing. Nobody remembers we found his freesound account. He definitely doesn't master it though.

I looked for a post about this specific topic before I posted it and found nothing so...

Who does the mastering? Or is that something else we won't get a straight answer on until Pitchfork or Noisey misquotes?

It's been a long day shitposting on DG threads on Sup Forums, looking back the thread was probably 6 hours ago and has died. Sorry.

Bullshit.

Death Grips might overall be Zach's project and he brings up most of the ideas and motifs but the actual production is handled by Andy. There's no way a "recording engineer" has such prominent role in a band.

It's weird to see them saying such a thing because a recording engineer is someone who is only responsible for the technical part of the process, not the creative part or anything like that
If Andy is really just the recording engineer, why even consider him part of the band? Didn't someone say in some interview that each one had the same amount of creative input?

Honestly, I was surprised to not see this posted already

Not see what posted already? The DG twitter post?

Doesn't make sense. Why would Andy be considered a part of the band, and why would they let him handle the electronics at shows, if he's just a studio worker? Also a lot of DG's more synth oriented tracks sound just like Andy's solo work.

I think this twitter page is run by andy and he is being self effacing

Mastering is usually done by some guy with a degree and a lot of expensive equipment. Some of these guys work directly for the record company, or some will out source it. NLDW for example was mastered in Hong Kong if I remember. Idk if that was an outsourced job, or if it was dg doing what they wanted at the time and had it mastered it there.

Yes

There was one earlier

>NLDW for example was mastered in Hong Kong

I bet you don't have a source for that.

I think Andy runs the Twitter page because he seems the most active on social media, and I think he was just being modest.

stefan doesn't write lyrics?

Can mastering affect the overall product? I know that mixing can, but wouldn't all aspects of post-production be something you'd like to ensure you're a part of as an artist? If you're paying some guy with a bunch of equipment and a degree is there a chance that they can fuck it up and make your album sound like shit or is the majority/all of that resolved in mixing?

I'm pretty sure Andy does 90% of the actual production while Zach gives some input.

Depends on if they have an album credit list, or does DG not "do" album credits

this

i really dont think so. if you go listen to zachs solo stuff it sounds just like death grips

examples?

Mastering is less about EQ'ing and more about fine tuning select frequencies,limiting, and optimizing to achieve the best dynamic range.

mastering can have a huge impact. however it's quite technical relative to what the creators as 'artists' are usually involved with, basically any input they might have (unless they have some experience) is just going to be summed up as "make it sound louder"

No. His solo work sounds raw and noisy. You can't tell me Zach produced tracks like The Cage or Bass Rattles, basically anything that sound remotely synthetic.

Exactly. I have a hard time imagining Zach producing all of TMS, NLDW, GP, or any of the weird ass sounds on NotM because they all sound synthetic. Andy has to be doing most of the production.

he does but not for i.l.y's

Not sure if you're the same person, how do you happen to know all of this stuff? Mastering is really interesting, I really like hearing about post-production even though I don't know anything about it. I've heard that it can make or break an album's sound, and Nirvana's "Nevermind" is a really famous example of post-production changing the entire album's sound.

With "dynamic range" are you talking what the end product sounds like when it's coming out of your stereo/earphones?

And I guess, hypothetically, let's say Andy does fuckall. You think he'd know enough to relay Zach and Stefan's contributions to the person mastering to make sense? Or is it something that most artists just hand over in a "we trust you" way?

Can you link me to that or it's really dead?

yeah why would the recording engineer perform on stage with them

also wasn't there someone else involved, at least in the early days? What his name, TechNinja or something dumb. Wasn't he the sound engineer?

he said songwriter - that doesn't necessarily include lyrics, just the music.

youtube.com/watch?v=8nutVnGfTFg

never forget

I agree Andy does more then what this tweet imply's but that said you would need someone to work with the synths and samples on stage. You can't really rap the way Stefan does and play with a synth and Zach is obviously busy drumming.

isnt bbpoltergeist bunk as of like 2013

No

There was a sound engineer?

argh jesus im definitely not making this up but i cant remember his name
he was mentioned in really early interviews, like death grips (ep) era but i can't find any mention of that now

Maybe he still works with them without credit? But if it was on Death Classic and Exmilitary...

i'm . i do some audio production and that includes a bit of mastering, mostly just for my own work.

a good way to think about it is whereas mixing involves the balancing of tracks (instruments) in relation to each other throughout the stereo and dynamic spectrum - that is how loud and which direction they appear to be coming from - mastering is the balancing of the full track in relation to other tracks; not just the album in question but the contemporary tastes and expectations of consumers.

essentially the most basic consideration of the mastering engineer (beyond medium-specific stuff like making sure the audio actually 'fits' the physical limits of vinyl - but that's something i know almost nothing about) is to meet these expectations by squishing the audio signal as tight as possible, by bringing the loudest peaks of the track down and the quietest bits up - without overdoing it and destroying the track (the 'loudness war' is kind of infamous here, a track that has been over-mastered might be called 'lifeless' or 'lacking punch).

generally this is done using a compression, but mastering engineers might also apply subtle adjustments which change the overall 'color' of the sound like the other guy said.

>You think he'd know enough to relay Zach and Stefan's contributions to the person mastering to make sense?
i would be surprised if andy (as a 'producer') knew absolutely jack shit about mastering, it's just that once a band reaches a certain point it makes no sense for them to try to deal with it themselves when they can hire someone who's a professional and can do a far better job in far less time. but my general opinion is that - and this goes for 99.9% of all artists - zach and stefan wouldn't be able to offer any meaningful advice that far along in the production process. any advice they might give would be during mixing. mixing is 95% and mastering 5% anyway. (i hope nobody is grabbing their pitchfork)

>a compression
i'm biologically obligated to rest

>No
how new are you

wrong, its been up in the air for a while

all the zach hill projects that kinda sound like death grips also have andy morin as the featured co producer / engineer

face tat, that one hella album... the list goes on

Mc rides lyrics and performance are just as important than Zach hills production and instrumentation.

these

also this

his death grips name was "info warrior", he's known online as "megazord", his real name is christian oldham

yessss thank you
i miss when there wasnt so much information about death grips floating around on the internet
i remember when a google search returned like 5 relevant links

im the other guy, this dude hit the nail on the head here.

Because mastering just fits into about 5%, would that be why you would hire a professional? It's such an insignificant portion of post-production that as long as whoever was mastering the album didn't fuck it up it'd be fine?

And that makes more sense. Balancing of tracks = more weight to the album's sound, done individually by track while mixing = done individually by track in relation to the entire album, done more for the benefit of the consumer. Am I getting this right?

If mastering is such a "nonsignificant" portion of the process, why would you master an album? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Sounds nothing like Hacker. Sounds pretty weak actually, like a b-side from Fashion Week at best, but it isn't nearly as layered or complex as something from even Interview 2016, let alone anything in their main discography.

Andy being accused of ripping off Grimes really fucked the guy up, first he deletes his instagram then he tries to distance himself from the production of the band.

i also thought about that
what a weirdo

Nah,

there is a huge difference between FACE TAT and fashion week

how are you still forcing this meme? nobody cares

you cared
also this meme is real

still hurts huh

t. Andy

>musicians can only produce one style of music

yep

since NLDW Zach has been playing all the drums live triggering synths on a v-drum kit

>co-producer
Lmao andy trying to suck his own dick
(Still love him though)

if only i knew

Haven't heard about this, when did this happened?

It didn't

Grimesfaggots are cancer and should kill themselves

/discussion

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/69759296

>unironically believes that dgfags aren't on the same level with grimesfags

he removed everything from his instagram shortly after someone started posting this

>Andy is the prettiest
Show me 1 (one) picture where he looks better than Zach.

it's all about looks

In terms of looks
Zach>Stefan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Andy

all much better looking people than grimes

>If mastering is such a "nonsignificant" portion of the process, why would you master an album? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Mastering is different from mixing, because if you simply used the raw mix, the album would be too quiet, or the different parts of the mix could sound dull.

Often mastering increases the sharpness and clarity of the instruments, and properly EQs them for different speaker types and vinyl.

I've never had a problem with mixing/production, but mastering is an art that took me a while to figure out in a basic sense, without my mixes sounding like garbage. I would still rather pay someone professional to master tracks, but on the condition that I supervise their work.

At least we can agree on that.

To each their own, you are welcome to Zach

Stefan is pretty on par with Andy when he's smiling, it's all about the tooth gap, he's pretty cute when he's not playing moody toughguy

>favourite band

well you would

>reading comprehension

are death grips a boyband now?

How are most nu-metal groups different from boy bands

My guess is that Zach writes the songs and produces an outline of the instrumentation, which Andy then spruces up.
Remember NLDW, when it was just Zach and Stefan in the band? Ended up being very minimal 808s and bare-bones synths. Then when Andy came back for GP, everything was lush and had a lot of experimental electronic elements, some similar to his solo work (which proves he's adept at electronics). Not to mention that live, he has a laptop and synth setup and plays things not heard on the studio versions, so I doubt he's just mashing buttons that Zach's already programmed for him.
He may do mastering, since it's definitely too poor to be professionally done.
"Engineer" means nothing and it generally given to satisfy some big-head who wanted credit for standing around during the sessions.

memes am i right? because memes

how would you pay a male producer desu?

How do you git gud at mastering? I can do a mix and perform some basic trial-and-error EQing but have no idea how to fine-tune things, and am in no position to get a professional since their rates are absolutely ridiculous, even the small-time ones.

In all seriousness, sure it's dumb, but they are boys in a band. There's daily threads on Grimes and Taylor and Charli, why can't I just have one good thing in my life

This could be like the time they "broke up" and were an " art exhbit"

I seem to recall them saying differently in an interview. Specifically Zach expressing how annoying it was when he and Andy were figuring out how to mesh his high-hat with digital beats but hey who knows.

people were speculating about his production abilities just yesterday, ha

because weebs ruin everything

Then let me ruin everything and have something to look forward to

The tweet is a little strange for sure. Because in the liner notes for The Powers That B, both Andy and Zach are credited for production. So why they would suddenly make the distinction that Andy is just the engineer, sounds weird, maybe that is true for The ILYS not DG?

Can somebody with the Bottomless Pit check the liner notes and who's credited for production and engineering there?

well if you keep up with the quality of those threads then describe how you would fuck the members of this group