What's the deal with FLAC? Is it worth searching out FLAC versions of all the things you download?

What's the deal with FLAC? Is it worth searching out FLAC versions of all the things you download?

Other urls found in this thread:

interviewfor.red
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Is it worth searching out FLAC
>searching
so this is what it feels like to be a pleb

Can you tell the difference though? There is a difference but if you can't tell there is literally no point.

Its the utmost best quality however I also like 320 kbps mp3 and will convert to mp3 while still keeping the FLAC simply because my phone can't handle it

This is what I do as well. FLAC for home when it's audibly noticeable with a proper DAC/amp and headphone setup. 320 for casual listening with speakers, stored on devices, in the car, etc.

>There is a difference but if you can't tell there is literally no point.
The point of FLAC is that it's lossless.

I know this, most of my collection is lossless.
But think about it. If you can't tell will it matter either way?

Not for the average listener, no. However, if you want to preserve the music you like so that when a better lossy format becomes standard you can transcode in to it, you need FLAC then. If you go from mp3 to X format it will sound like dog shit. If you convert from FLAC, it will be as good as the quality of the new format and encode settings.

>downloading music

>really want so classical music piece
>go rutracker
>put the work of the dude i want
>found it
>everything its in FLAC
>have to download 900 megabytes (from now, MB) per song
>wait for hours because like none its sharing.....
>finally download
>listen to it and notice every instrument clearly like any song in mp3
>have to cut the file with CUE splitter wtf??
>convert it to MP3 256 kbps
>compare it
>still dont notice shit
>mp3 album its like just 80 MB
>delete the 1gb of music
>spend fucking hours and i didnt listen to the entire songs because i have to go
When the Meme Codecs gonna end?

user you know damn well this isn't gonna happen anytime soon. People are still using jpg when JPG2000 is out.

>go to RED/APL
>search musics I want
>everything works just fine, I can pick what encoding settings, bit rate, release I want
>everything is seeded, lightning fast downloads
>good tags
>listen to music and be /comfy/

nobody cant tell the difference and it takes much more space, download at mp3 320kbps.
this.

how the hell do you into private trackers

acquire autism and determination,
read this interviewfor.red
or if you feel like getting brain cancer you can visit and discuss private trackers

Thanks senpai.

don't need a private tracker, I have found every FLAC release I needed from rutracker.

And yes, I can tell the difference.

>looking for Ike Quebec
>found Heavy Soul in Rutracker
>download FLAC through transmission
>let it download while I do some other work
>file is downloaded, now I have the pleasure of calling the shntool using xACT
>call shntool
>drink the rest of my cup of coffee while xact is extracting my newest lossless addition to my extensive music library which I can play on my high-end audio set-up
>be happy about life
>have no urge at all to overdose on heroin

320kbps MP3 master race

I still do have flac but it's only because I couldn't find anything else

Depends. If you Rip an existing Redbook CD or Vinyl to a FLAC file, it can *arguably* sound better due to some codecs cutting off frequencies that aren't typically audible by humans and freeing up "driver time," increasing dynamic capability and percieved clarity and resolve.
I think that in place of buying FLAC downloads of suspect origin, you're better served by buying redbook and ripping using EAC or a similar program to convert to FLAC from there; maybe even going as far as a record player with a USB output to rip straight from an analog source if you have a half decent vinyl collection... but that's just me and I'm a giant faggot.

Which is better: 320 mp3 or 256 aac? Or are they of the same quality?

Well, not everyone owns a studio and not everyone is an audio engineer. Given that all smartphones and audio players support a wide variety of audio nowadays, storing music in FLAC only makes sense from an audio engineer's perspective.

you got an invite?