Raimi Spiderman films

What was it that made these superhero movies a cut above the rest?

Other urls found in this thread:

tempsend.com/716C75FBCD
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sam Raimi actually gave a shit about the source material, and this was before super hero movies were micromanaged to death.

It gets kinda itchy and rides up in the crotch a little bit too.

>"hey you fucking jew cunt, I had to come up here to escape your nauseating nigger stench" -Spider Man 1

I think its because Raimi wasn't afraid to cross the line. He just wrote what he wanted to, regardless of the social backlash. I don't think he could work in the modern film world, its good he isn't around to see this :'(

Sam Raimi, you said it yourself.

He has always been a great director who seriously cares about material and the audience. He's never been corrupted by Hollywood.

3 tarnished a great image

2 was purest patrician superhero

Spider-Man 1 = Shit
Spider-Man 2 = Great
Spider-Man 3 = Shit

To this day, Spider-Man 2 is one of the best cape films still.

Capeshit films hadn't become the cashcows they'd eventually become, so the stakes weren't as high. As a result, Raimi and the creative team were given freer reign to tell the best story they knew how to tell.

Today, however, just about all capeshit films are products of committees. Too many chefs stirring the pot. Too much effort to make everyone happy, so the films are too busy and lack subtlety and intimacy. This isn't just limited to MCU movies--Warner, Sony, and Fox are pretty much indistinguishable now. Noise and spectacle and nothing else.

wanted to make a decent movie instead of a decent adaption

They came out when you were a child. I mean that in two ways: 1) your nostalgia blinds you, and 2) it was a different time for movies.

Theyre not tainted for the Reddit audience like capeshit is now. The last truly good capeshits were Iron Man and TDK, and they came out right before Reddit became popular.

I loved 1 and 2 as a kid but they don't hold up now. Tobey Maguire is a terrible Peter Parker and an even worse Spider-Man and there's nothing that can compensate for that.

They were fun, and comedy came from well-written jokes and gags instead of memes and quips every 5 seconds. Action was good too without being a ridiculous shakey cam GCI explosionfest.
I don't know what it is but there's just something about the tone of the modern Marvel joints that makes my skin crawl.

Spider-Man 2 was way fucking better than iron man

Basically this, raimi was a good director and he actually had creative controll instead today you get puppet directors who only make the most efficient money maker movies. When sony tried to force their shit into raimi you got the abomination that was spiderman 3

what did you say about me?

They are all basically poll tested movies. It's why Hillary is so off putting as well. Offend as few as possible while saying absolutely nothing of substance or resonance

Sam Raimi is an actual director with talent and vision and not some upjumped second unit television director who acquiesces to the studio's decisions because he doesn't want to ruin his big break.

3 was fine

grow a fucking sense of humor redit

I tried really hard to like that movie but even when it come out i was 17 and really excited about venom i couldn't. It was too much of a clusterfuck

upboat

Sincerity.

I love how Raimi shot that whole scene like Evil Dead, those tentacles gave me nightmares in middle school.

Camp has something to do with it. Maybe modern cape is too pretentious for some tastes. I like Dawn of Justice, but perhaps cape movies just need to be more campy.

This would demand more practical fx which Marvel/DC directors aren't gonna go for except in small quantities. CG sells better I think, even though good practical fights look awesome.

They found that perfect balance of seriousness and camp, something that no one - except arguably Del Toro's Hellboys - have been able to do since.

>still no Hellboy 3
Feels bad man

It's on his list. Have faith in del toro

>What was it that made these superhero movies a cut above the rest
Bruce Campbell

I'm currently reading his autobiography.

The man is a legend.

I hope he gets casted as Mysterio. Dude would fucking nail it.

>so the stakes weren't as high
Spider-Man 2 was literally the most expensive movie ever made at the time of it's release.

tempsend.com/716C75FBCD

audiobook version read by Bruce himself

kek