Just finished this last night...

Just finished this last night. Easily better than Mad Men and deserving of third place in best television dramas after the Sopranos and the Wire, in my opinion. So comfy and well-written. A lot of loose ends and weird character changes (Al completely softening up, Richardson becoming retarded) obviously but still so solid. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qID53eZPFiI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The sets, the characters, the script are all excellent. In my top 10 shows of all time. I just wish they'd been allowed one more season in order to properly wrap things up, instead of the rushed ending we got. Would watch again, for sure.

agree

actually i have one more criticism, which is that cy tolliver was kind of a shit character who only existed to be evil (especially in the third season). joanie scenes were also kind of boring but once she partnered up with jane i liked her

This is probably the greatest accomplishment in television when it comes to the use of language. It's really an amazing piece of work. It's poetic, consistent, and feels true to the times and the show itself.

Such a shame it got prematurely cancelled. I'm cautiously optimistic for the movie.

It's top 5 for me, probably top 3.

lol. Al carries the whole show. The way the dialogue is written is impressive but that alone doesn't make it top 3 of all time. Most characters don't have a whole lot of depth to them and the show doesn't even have a proper ending.

Also, the sorta main character, Timothy Oliphant, is a worse actor than the guy who made The Room. You can never tell what he is trying to convey.

curious to know what you put above it, probably some pleb garbage like GoT no doubt.

his character was a bit over the top. a bit. but, i still enjoyed the tension. i watched tombstone recently.

>mfw the actor is in that as well

he's really good at playing evil cunts

wow, good response friend!

I don't bother with lists but, unlike OP, I'd have Mad Men above it.

I'd have Deadwood 10th-15th if I did a list, somewhere between Band of Brothers and The Knick.

I thought Al softening up after he almost died was very appropriate, you didn't?

Fucking olyphant is awful in it.

It would be a 10/10 with Kurt Russel in his place.

Al is best character but Trixie, Doc Cochran, E.B. Farnum, Jane, Charlie Utter, Merrick and Jack Langrishe are all incredibly entertaining to watch as well. Plus Molly Parker is a talented actress.

Olyphant is a little wooden but his whole character is this stoic old-school badass Western archetype with an anger problem, and I think he pulls it off fine.

you're entitled to your opinion tho when i say top 3 i mean my personal top 3. Mad Men felt like a chore to watch for me

this is my #1 criticism. He was completely misused in the 3rd season

yeah you're right. i also like how he starts talking to the Indian head and that scene when Dan is concerned about it

I would agree with mad Men, but naming 10 to 15 shows above it seems a little much

Olyphant played his character perfectly. That's the kind of man he was supposed to be, stoic, midwestern, with a facade of virtuousness and stiffness that was quickly discarded when he became impossibly violent.

It was great casting honestly.

They were building up for Cy to become good in the future-- they actually planned him to become the first feminist in the west.

I'm very happy that we're getting a proper ending but just one movie doesn't feel nearly enough to wrap it up properly imo. The pacing would feel too inconsistent considering how slow paced the show is. I hope they go for three movies at a minimum or the equivalent amount of hours for a mini series.

>the first feminist in the west
jesus h. christ

I thought Al was fairly progressive about women for the time and setting. Especially when it came to Trixie. Not even memeing

He was, but I believed they planned for Tolliver to start some kind of movement or something more precise and outspoken, but I don't know. But it would have been quite a character development for sure it sounds like.

believe*

Remember when Al killed a perfectly innocent whore in order to protect Trixie the degenerate jew-fucking whore?

fun fact. Sol Star was an advocate for the town's prostitutes. most of the women involved in prostitution were forced into with promises of jobs in the west as washerwomen and seamstresses and the like. once they got out there, they got a punch in the mouth and were hooked on dope. not nearly as funny or clean or anything good. Al and the boys were pretty brutal but I'm sure the reality was far, far worse.

Al didn't kill her... but that was one of the most heartfelt moments

Sol did a lot of things IRL that he didn't do in the show though didn't he?

the thing i like about olyphant is that he is known for his lack of preparation, at least from the interviews i've watched. i'm not saying he's a clint eastwood, but that's definitely the road he's gone down and it works, in my opinion. watch Go, The Girl Next Door, Justified, Deadwood. He's really just being an extension of himself, dressed in different clothing.

things have come full circle to the point where art mirrors life, in his case.

youtube.com/watch?v=qID53eZPFiI

yeah. they all did. I went to Deadwood I liked the show so much. E.B. Farnum was actually a brilliant businessman for instance. Him and a handful of other guys got together and set the price of gold dust for the town. Obviously he made a fortune. The fucking town was awesome. I was there off tourist season so I was able to stroll around at my own pace everywhere I went.

the....ambulators