Allright, at last I bited the bullet and saw this...

Allright, at last I bited the bullet and saw this. I'd like to discuss the ending in the faint hope this thread doesn't degenetare right from the start.
I think Bateman didn't kill anybody except Paul. All the other homicides happened just as scribbles in his agenda.

Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?

Has anyone read the book? I felt that he was more of a beta in the book than the way he was portrayed as alpha in the movie

I think he didn't killed anyone, not even Paul, since the other guy said he was traveling.

>bited the bullet

I didn't read the book but from what I've gathered the most brutal homicides were omitted from the film and the ones which are present are watered-down. I also think in the book is more explicit that he killed all those people.
Also checked.

I honestly don't think he killed anyone and the entire movie was basically a delusion of his. Case in point the business card scene, they literally all look and talk like him, all have similar cards, but the only one he "kills" is the one with a better reservation than him

the book is canon.
brett easton ellis has made it very clear that bateman killed and tortured all those people.
He went into gruesomely specific detail so that there could be no question as to what truely happened.

checkem boys

That's bone. Raised lettering. Classic.

I thought the purpose of that scene was to consolidate the point that all the yuppies were the same. They got each other's name wrong all the time. Maybe the lawyer really was with Paul maybe he just thought he was with him.

Allright, another question if you've read the book. Was the book atmosphere the same as the film or more serious? I found the film somewhat funny.

check em

The point of that was to show that all the yuppies are so insanely preoccupied with their own shallow self-absorption that they don't even know who they're looking at or talking to half the time ("Hey Halbersham, why are there copies of the style section everywhere"). Allen wasn't seen by anyone after he was murdered, someone just thought he was because they couldn't be fucked to know better

Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste.

very nice.

>hope this thread doesn't degenetare right from the start.

Look to the business card scene as a good idea of what most of the book is like.
Bateman is the narrator, and he goes into meticulous detail describing all the clothes and accessories other people are wearing before saying who they are.
Most of the book is him going to restaurants, clubs, and social gatherings describing all the clothes everyone is wearing. And all the expensive food everyone is eating.

HOWEVER, all of this is interspersed with delusions and his desire to kill people. Even though its normie-tier, it still is the most traumatizing book i've ever read because of the torture scenes. theres one scene, in particular, that fucks me up to this day/

impressive.

Which scene is that?

likewise, my brother. likewise.

Speaking of torture, what did Bate do to the street hooker and the classy hooker the first time? They're shown running away and the next time they meet the street hooker is complaining. Also describe that scene now that you mentioned it.

where he uses a mechanical auger to obliterate a prostitutes mouth and teeth then burrow into her throat then he shoves his whole arm up to the elbow down the hole and rips out her veins and chords.
then he tears apart her stomach with his bare hands.
and she's alive the whole time.

what is a mechanical auger if you dont mind me asking?

observe these repeating numerals

You mean mine?

yup that is just as brutal as i thought, thanks for answering

He killed everyone. Bret Easton Ellis laid out a possible out with the notebook, but then he finishes the novel with Bateman noting the sign on a door: "This is not an exit." He snatches away the "it was all in head" explanation.

Bear in mind that Ellis was writing for a big "L" Literary audience not wannabe hardasses on Sup Forums. They would prefer the fantasy explanation, otherwise they just read a book about a sociopathic serial killer protagonist instead of the thuddingly obvious allegory for capitalism they'd prefer. Ellis isn't letting them off that easy.

That was only in the movie. He picks up a coat hanger or pliers or something so its an implied 'le edgy torture scene'

In the book,when he's with two prostitutes he saws off ones head with a butchers knife then fucks it and walks around with it clamped to his erect cock.
then he hooks a car battery up to the other girl's breasts and holds a lighter up to her eyes to melt them. he wakes up the next day to find her ribcage had exploded and blood and fat are coating his designer window curtains and her body had blackened and reeks.

he keeps the other girls head in a jar for a long while and his apartment begins to smell.

Nice.