Did indie rock kill Rock & Roll?

Did indie rock kill Rock & Roll?

Rock & Roll was dead long before indie became a thing.

rock and roll died in the late 60s where now titled dadrock groups came a long with louder guitars and effects

Yes, it tamed rock music and made it effeminate.

glam and hair metal was a small minority of popular music you know.

no synths did

and it still had more balls than ">muh sadness :(" lyrics of every fucking indie song

There has always been effeminate rock. Hell, major genre movements like goth, glam and new wave were founded on having an effeminate image.

Whiny sad ballads are nothing new, the folk rock explosion of the 60s and 70s are no more "sensitive" than anything coming out these days. Hell, lots of prog bands were twee as fuck.

I am a firm believer that bands similar to Real Estate killed rock and roll. Like have you guys heard that shit? It's the most lethargic stuff I've ever heard.

Rock as pop music died in like, 2005 ish. Before that you had emo, pop-punk, post-grunge, and nu-metal all on the charts and the radio. Not sure why it fell off so hard around this time, but I do know after Eminem and 50 Cent dominated the charts it never really swung back in rock's favor.

Rock & roll was dead from the start, since it's just white people stealing rhythm & blues.

show me a black band sounding anything like the kinks

Kid A killed rock and roll. Seriously.

Whether feminine glam rock or any other masculine rock, I think the more appropriate description of indie rock is that it made rock more introverted, more about solely listening to the music rather than publicity or arena shows

arctic monkeys headlined glastonbury m8

I think we just haven't produced/found anyone good enough with the potential still

Except that's retarded because rock was relevant into the early-mid 2000s and Kid A was never a commercial fucking record so most people didn't know it existed.

Everytime someone posts trying to say that a single album swung a genre they're outting themselves as ignorant. Even Sgt. Pepper was part of a musical trend.

Again, nothing new. A major aspect of the alternative rock "image" was its introspective attitude.

Just say that indie sucks as music, it's a far more credible claim.

>this thread
>"Rock music died after my favorite albums stopped coming out!"

This somewhat. Although Eminem was very rock and roll (and that's probably why he isn't as big as he was then). On the flip side rnb has had an unimaginable mainstream comeback in the same amount of time rock has waned. Maybe it's a cycle

>(and that's probably why he isn't as big as he was then)
I don't that has anything to do with it. I mean what hip-hop act from 15+ years ago is still relevant? Can't say Jay-Z because he doesn't even make music anymore. It's just beyond the life cycle of a pop act.

Only real rock band of this decade is Japandroids. Fite me.

Snoop Dogg is approaching 50 and still one of the biggest names in rap.

Being talented, motivated and always working to build your image is all it takes. It's just that most immediately head to drugs and blow it all or kill themselves.

>MUH MASCULIN RAWK
Murder yourself

wrong

>Snoop Dogg is approaching 50 and still one of the biggest names in rap.
This is meaningless. The Beatles are the biggest name ever, but they aren't making music, they aren't on the charts, and they aren't getting awards. Snoop Dogg is a pop culture icon, but he is irrelevant in this musical landscape. His last hit was Drop it Like It's Hot. That was 2004.

IM GONNA TAKE MY TIIIIME
SHE GON GET HERS BEFORE I

You have arctic monkeys on one end and countless bandcamp people on the other, don't throw them all under one net

glam and hair metal was pretty alpha though.

In a culture of generic fruits, the alphas are just the loudest tallest generic fruits.

>but they aren't making music

ringo and paul both make mllions every year to date, both in royalties and every CO in the west wanting an actual beatle to attend their networking dinners. snoop is sitting on his own clothes brand and earning a killing on a decade old image just fine.

any celeb can make their life great if they aren't completely retarded.

Their stylist was thinking, "Television. Marquee Moon."

Clever!

Holy shit catfish and the bottlemen don't just sound like discount strokes, they look like them too.

real estate is the culmination and logical conclusion to indie. a music genre that white was bound to manifest itself as a band that bland. theyre the symptom not the cause. rock was always for faggots

indie rock is rock without blues

Rock died when Pavement released 'Crooked Rain Crooked Rain'. It's a good album, but it unleashed a wave of boring, shitty indie bands that focused more on sounding "chill" than writing a good song. It's also connected to all the horrible "revival" bands copy the tropes of an old genre without making any good innovations. Hence we have Mac DeMarco, Arcade Fire, The Strokes, The War on Drugs, etc. It's soft rock minus any of the things that made Fleetwood Mac good.