Has anyone experienced sleep paralysis? I only experienced it three times exclusively as a younger child...

Has anyone experienced sleep paralysis? I only experienced it three times exclusively as a younger child. Why is it so fucking terrifying? Why does your brain do that?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3156892/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I experience it alot and find it fucking terrifying everytime

There was a time where it happened most of the time trying to go to sleep, and pretty often when just waking up for about 2 years. At first it was terrifying, and I began to dread going to sleep, just hoping it didn't happen again. Eventually after almost 2 years, I just began to embrace it, and no longer really cared. I would still hallucinate, hear shit, the whole lot, but because it happened so many times already, I knew it wasn't real no matter what happened. I actually ended up beginning to like it, and then all of a sudden I stopped having sleep paralysis. That was years ago. Recently it's started happening again, and it's gone back to being absolutely terrifying. Fucking sucks, it's interfering with my ability to sleep.

I honestly feel sorry for you guys. I hope I never experience that shit again. You might have some problems with sleeping

Yeah got it quite a few times along my life, can only remember 3-4 though, it caused me to sleep with pillows or my blanket over my head, facing a wall and I also have insomnia because of it.

last time I got it I could hear a whirling turbine sound like a submarine engine

I used to, but I'm a Finn, so I'd scream and threaten the 'shadow people'.
Then they fucked off.
But it might have been assisted by usage of Chaos Magick.
>Not memeing

>so I'd scream and threaten the 'shadow people
don't lie, you can't move or say a word under sleep paralysis

When you sleep your body essentially paralyses you so you don't act out your dreams and hurt yourself. Sleep paralysis is when your brain becomes alert whilst your body is still unable to move. It's terrifying the first time. But just relax, and you'll be fine in a bout 2 - 5 mins.

Not physically. My family would have thought I was even more crazy.
Just in my head. I would project as much Viking aggression as I could.
It seemed to work.

ITT: compulsive liars

>Researched medical phenomenon
>We're liars

You: Someone I wish experienced it

put a piece of paper over your face turn the lights on listen to static and lay down for 5mins, its the same thing just not as intense

It's more like a feeling of someone sitting on top of you and you can't breathe or move, accompanied by a random terrifying hallucination for 30 seconds to a minute if you're lucky

I get a loud, shrill wind noise and an extreme sensation of pressure all over me.
Esp. My hands.

I'm still not sure if what happened to me as a child was sleep paralysis or a legitimate super natural experience. As I have got older I really don't believe in the super natural, god or the devil so I am obviously leaning toward sleep paralysis

story?

>Wizard user here.
>Never saw a difference.

Yeahr thats near what my last sleep paralysis looked like. But more terryfing was when an women sat on me and then gone to my chair and sat there and looked at me with black eyes

this here is the lego pirate ship i built and i had it in my room for a long time. one time during sleep paralysis the dragons eyes turned red and the ship started floating towards me on my bed. it was scary as fuck and i didn't keep that in my room anymore

Used to get it constantly when on comedowns after taking E.

happened reguarly for a year or two.

I find that sleeping with a dim light on helps because when it happens its not pitch black in the room and you can see its all in your head.

Also try sleeping on your front, it only happens in people when they lay on their back.

Remember i used to shout and try so hard and crawl out of bed and make it across the floor only to blink and be laying right back where i was in bed, was fucking freaky shit. Eventually got used to it and it became just a 'meh sleep paralysis', chill and youll sleep again.

For me its most times people looking down on me like on pic or sitting on me

i was just reading about it and it's true that it only happens when you sleep on your back, which i thought was the normal way of sleeping.

Bullshit.

I experienced it this year for the first time and it was fucking scary. As I couldn't say anything or move I was scared but fortunately it only lasted for 40 minutes.

Sleep paralysis (SP) is characterized by a discrete period of time during which voluntary muscle movement is inhibited, yet ocular and respiratory movements are intact and ones sensorium remains clear (1). These episodes can occur when falling asleep or upon awakening, and are most likely to happen when individuals sleep in a supine position (supine position is laying on your back)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3156892/

Used to have it happen anytime I slept facing this one wall away from the door as a kid
I'd just become aware of footsteps and a sound like chains being dragged across my floor
I'd feel/see this shadow person looking down at me
I'd be flipping out trying to move but I couldn't
I always felt like I couldn't breath right when this happened
It still happens every once in awhile, but I've learned some tricks to get out of it faster

what are the tricks?

Lrn2bullshit, Billy.

It says most likely.
Talks about sleeping on his side.
I'm right you fucking tard.

I would wake up and there would be "demons" all around me...Like weird looking guys with horns coming out of their heads. They would stand around me and kind of...idk grunt talk in their own language. The leader would stand over me with his hand out which wouldn't let me move or talk. Went on for what seemed like hours but was probably only a couple minutes. This happened over and over and over again until I was just to scared to go to sleep for several days, then would eventually pass out only for it to happen again. This happened from ages 5-7

I start by trying to wiggle my toes or clench my fingers

I just got out of college and would tell my roommates if they ever saw me doing that to wake me up

It's almost always a race between me being able to wiggle myself awake and the shadow man coming in

Other times I'll feel like I'm back in control and have super vivid hallucinations where I feel like I'm half asleep but trying to stand up and I try to scream but I can't

If I sleep in my back it almost always happens, so I just don't anymore

If I sleep on my side or my stomach it's less common

If I could get the fingers or toes moving I'd slowly regain motor control and shake myself awake

i'll try to remember that next time if it happens. i'm 22 and it happened when i was 12-13, but it says its more common to people at 25-40 which scars me. i don't believe people saying you can get over it, because in the moment you are paralyzed, and that paralyzation triggers a response that you are vulnerable to being attacked, so it triggers another response of feeling intense fear so you are able to react quicker to danger, so it creates a hallucination almost all the time. it's more scary than anything in real life because its the only way to experience true demons and supernatural shit

Hey anons, this shit used to happen to me daily. I was terrified of falling asleep and dreaded becoming tired. Sleeping on my side as opposed to laying on my back has helped tremendously, try it out and best of luck.

Experienced it once last summer. Fucking terrifying, but after a few moments, I realised what it was (I had already read about sleep paralysis on the internet as a teen) and I just focused all my energy on trying to move my arms (witch didn't work and was even more terryfing), then I just let my whole body relax. And then I could finaly wake up.

sleep paralys is a curse and blessing at the same time
sleepy paralisysisy is the no.1 gateway into lucid dreaming

Happened to me two times so far I think. Both were just brief episodes and not scary.

First time I saw a friend of mine who I hadn't talked to in a while sit on a chair in my room that wasn't even there. I tried to ask him what he was doing there and suddenly realized I could neither move nor talk. Breathing was difficult as well. That lasted for what felt like maybe 2 seconds. I think the suprise of that sensation basically woke me up instantly and I was able to move again and my friend wasn't there anymore. I was not confused though, I knew what just had happened and that I was basically dreaming with open eyes.

Oh, i just remembered one more time and that was hella scary. I was dreaming with my eyes open basically. Not sure if sleep paralysis. It was already bright outside so i could see the roof of my room. I dream of HUGE spiders crawling on the walls. They were like striped in black, yellow and maybe white I think and looked very aggresive. Like armored with spikes. That really scared me. There were so many and right above me. Talking like 60 from toe to toe.

So all in all maybe three times. Not something that haunts me really.

When I got sleep paralysis a few times I couldn't even breath in. I seeing crazy terrifying things and suffocating at the same time. Shit got real.

Expierenced it once or twice, it was always either a scorpion or a huge spider crawling up my chest and then jumping in my face.

yeah, actually. One time i was sleeping on the couch, i was about 12 or 13, and my strategy then was to go back to sleep if i go into SP(sleep paralysis). Well i would wake up in SP, and think that i'd roll off the couch and go into the kitchen. I was dreaming that i rolled off the couch, i went through this cycle of thinking that i was awake about 4 times before my dad walked in and woke me up.

Another time was camping with my parents. At this point i'm 17, had a heroin overdose that involved coma/seizure/stroke and 4 months of (shitty) rehab in Nevada. I was sleeping in the living area of our camper and i woke up in sleep paralysis. I dreamt/whatever that i was back in rehab with a faint figure at the door, staring at me. It didn't move, i COULDN'T move, i was trying to scream and yell so fucking hard. i finally broke out of it and woke my parents up, they ran in (their bedroom had a sliding door) and grabbed me, asking what was wrong. It legit took 4 or 5 minutes for me to come to and realize i was out of rehab and no one was watching me.

My last notable one was during my 3 month rehab stay in texas. I was going through withdrawals, i was cold turkying off of 20mg opana ir every 4-6 hours (snorted) with 20 mg oxy alongside it, every 4-6 hours(oral). I was up shit creek in terms of withdrawals. my sleep was so shallow i'd jump when i woke up. Like i was always catching myself falling asleep in class. But one night i manage to get to sleep, and i see that fucking figure at the door again. I've dealt with SP for a while now and know that wiggling my toes helps me. Well i did, and i woke up, but not from wiggling my toes but by the massive fucking cramps

I get it pretty often. After rehab i would get just normal nightmares, wake up screaming, or sleep paralysis at least once a week. Now i get it once a month or so, a lot less frequently. Those rehabs fucked me up. I was 6'0 225 pounds and i'd wake up screaming for my mom thinking i was back in that fucking hole.

Your brain induces paralysis so you don't get up and sleep walk while you dream. Some people don't get paralyzed, which is what causes people to sleep walk. Others wake up while their body is still paralyzed. The body is a complicated machine, stuff goes wrong sometimes.

damn man.

Any user ever had sleep paralysis AND night terrors? Which is worse? Legitimately curious, had a few night terrors but never sleep paralysis

sleep paralysis is usually accompanied by a night terror i always though. i always thought they both happened at the same time

yeah! i get them both. Sleep paralysis is like a more realistic nightmare in my experience, like the VR of nightmares. It has a more lasting effect on my day, partly because it's more unique than a nightmare but also because it's way fucking scarier. A nightmare is like alice in wondedland or whatever - it doesn't make much sense. Sleep paralysis is like..saw? Maybe? It's that same feel for me, that i'm totally fucked. But after a while it's kinda entertaining, you know you'll be okay.

the breathing sucks, too. you're scared and want to breathe faster, but can't. I have no idea why, but it feels like something on your throat/chest.

Perhaps. My night terrors never came with a side of sleep paralysis though

i know what sleep paralysis is, but what is a night terror specifically?

oh fuck this toy. 2 fucking hours to built it when i was kid

Interesting. Oddly enough, I remember a sensation of everything being very, very still in a recurring night terror, but not really any sensation or awareness of my own body being unable to move. Not any awareness of my body at all really, all in the head

i wish i knew what it was again. it was pretty cool to have in my room till that day

Some people would call them nightmares, but they're wildly different. Happen during deep sleep and not REM sleep like nightmares. It's more like an overwhelming feeling of dread or despair, but without any coherent thoughts or situations as in nightmares. All feeling, no logic

I did last night. Woke up, couldn't move. Felt someone in my room, but couldn't move to see them. Then the light came on and my night nurse turned me over to change the fecal pad I sleep on.

I gurgled that I couldn't sleep and she picked me up and put me in my chair. I blew into the controller and rolled into the livingroom to watch some tv.

Sorry it took so long to type this out. Hope the thread is still here.

i never really knew that. i mean i always got sleep paralysis mixed up with night terrors, because i thought the terrifying hallucinations of sleep paralysis were night terrors.

i've gotten sleep paralysis before. but there are quite a few other times where i get a feeling of overwhelming dread, that is so intense that i have to get up and turn on a light or something. i don't know how to explain, and i can't remember if i was actually sleeping. but i can feel it when my eyes are closed and it feels like i'm warping somewhere or like a falling feeling. last time that happened was probably 8 months ago.

where are you?

I had sleep apnea probs 5x a year

Frozen still in sheer panic but cannot move Images include

White ghoul women with long wispy hair akin to P.T demo slowly hovering towards me

Dark figure, tall, standing staring at me

Long legged feirce looking spiders with webs all over the room, spiriling down onto my face, and could feel them crawling all over

Man, looks like broke in during the night holding a hammer and in a fighting pose a bout to beat me to death just as i woke up.

All resulted in my fucking heart pounding out my chest and a cold sweat.

So often, that it doesn't scare me anymore. I know how to get out of it--even when there is a presence in the room (which is about a third of the time). I kind of enjoy it now if I'm being completely honest. Closest I'll ever get to experiencing something that feels supernatural since I'm an atheist.