Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Vn4KfY9wYmw
youtu.be/4yOw_xLJuVY
m.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY
youtube.com/watch?v=tctHCMAi8jw
youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY
youtube.com/watch?v=dGjJ8vfh5CI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I love the matte paintings in Blade Runner. They're absolutely gorgeous.

>Dated
Show me a better scene where a guys head shapeshifts off his body and grows spiderlegs while the body eats a guys arms

>dated

Can you post some examples?

It looks a little plasticy and the animatronics certainly aren't smoothed, but it a much better effect than cgi composited onto a background plate. It's a real world object the actors can react to. It tooks hours, weeks, days and months of planning, production, and execution to accomplish .

I forget the name of the movie but an Asian guy gets mad and holds his breath until he explodes

>I forget the name of the movie

Seriously?

>not remembering the name of Big Trouble in Little China
Also directed by based Carpenter, by the way.

He was merely pretending to be retarded

Also soundtrack performed by based Carpenter's band, by the way.

youtu.be/Vn4KfY9wYmw

> It tooks hours, weeks, days and months of planning, production, and execution to accomplish

Why didn't this poster just say it took months to accomplish, encompassing all the other units of time measurement?

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky?

Come on that owl hold up today, you should've posted the giant scorpions or Medusa

I agree it holds up, I guess I was going with the "charming" angle.

The one where the bearded guy is fighting a bunch of spoopy skeletons with swords

You can tell they used a minature composited into the background when it crashes out of the room and here they have a life-size model. Still has a lot of charm.

Only good transformation the rest are nothing but teeth & tentacles.

Jumanji monkeys

The shark from Jaws.

I dont care that mother fucker is still scary.

youtu.be/4yOw_xLJuVY

I pretty much love anything with stop-motion animation.

>ignoring the dog transforming

Sinbad or some other Harryhausen movie?

>The Thing
>Dated
Ok

No unless I remember it wrong it turned into some furry roadkill shooting chirping tentacles in all directions before escaping through the roof.

Nigger it looks like fucking plastic and you know it.

I was thinking that too, cyclops was great

Jason and the argonauts
m.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY

Cheap but get the job done.

youtube.com/watch?v=tctHCMAi8jw

Pretty cool

You can see the matte backgrounds. I wish they'd make a comeback, I'm not a fan of the digital backgrounds, you can just tell it's not real.

The original The Thing is fucking horrifying in how bad the special effects are.

Also the one with the ridiculously bad skeletons that rise from the earth. Is it Simbad?

Is there good money in special effects? I'm pretty good with Photoshop and After Effects

The makeup/costume on the alien? I can't remember what it looks like.

It's a fucking carrot.

>Implying horror movies today look real
laughinggirls.jpg

go advertisement

Insane animatronics

Cause he's autistic.

>Also the one with the ridiculously bad skeletons that rise from the earth
that sounds like ray harryhausen. incredibly well done, for its time.
youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY

at least it was tangible. nothing worse than recognizing cgi.

The only thing less dated than the thing is you, faggot.

>if you don't think that was the raddest shit get the fuck out of my face

You're trying too hard.

The possibilities of CGI are endless. The only problem is that to make it realistic, you need a 100% precise physically based rendering. Computers just aren't there yet. There is a push in industrial applications to switch from real prototyping to VR. Problem is, VR just isn't that realistic: the object looks detached from reality because it doesn't interact in real time. So yeah... CGI is best employed moderately and only when strictly necessary. Real things just look more real. We still can't simulate all the little details for cheaper than just making the damn thing, in most cases. Hopefully hollywood will realize that soon enough.

youtube.com/watch?v=dGjJ8vfh5CI

Fuck them. TTFAW is a good movie.

man, that's not bad at all for that time