Tfw finally "get" jazz

>tfw finally "get" jazz

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Bm9F3GFnik
youtube.com/watch?v=37hlllxL6is
youtube.com/watch?v=fWdmMCnNw2I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>thinking you "get" jazz with no musical training or knowledge or music theory of any kind

nigga plz

this. you can appreciate jazz on some level but unless you play it yourself you will never listen on the same level as someone who does

>tfw you've had 2 months of piano lessons and now know the secret workings of all types of music

what if u play jazz but dont get it

then you're going to be very bad at playing jazz

you are like little babies

i havent even heard jazz before and i understand it perfectly

does music get boring and uninspiring when you realize they're just notes being played together user?

did you just watch "La La Land," OP?

because, low key, that bar scene is a pretty good way to explain why anyone could be enthusiastic about jazz. not as an explanation of the genre itself, tho.

i don't know if food tastes good because i don't cook

>I like to eat food so I know just as much about food as a professional chef who has spent years of his life studying, cooking, and tasting fine foods

You should probably get that checked out, I heard it's very contagious and deadly :/

>thinks tasting food is a function of knowing how to prepare food rather than subjective appreciation that is no better or worse than anyone else's opinion

I fucking hate those chefs that get offended because you like a little more salt on your chicken or drink red wine with your fish.

Then again, I also hate people that put ketchup on a good steak.

what is this fucking food analogy

the fact that you even have to abstract the concept this much to make your point should tell you enough

jazz is a genre heavily wrapped up in music theory, of course you can still listen to it without knowing a thing about theory and enjoy it, but to actually appreciate even half of what's actually going on you you need to know theory

you literally wouldn't even notice otherwise

>hating something just because people say it's bad
Bet you cant even articulate why ketchup and steak is bad

I can, because ketchup is shit

yeah, the food analogy only works when set in a very high scale expensive restaurant where the meals come in smaller portions, requiring the consumer to understand the food's context more.

>jazz is a genre heavily wrapped up in music theory, of course you can still listen to it without knowing a thing about theory and enjoy it, but to actually appreciate even half of what's actually going on you you need to know theory

You could literally say this about absolutely anything, the food analogy is spot on. What you call "Music theory" is present in all of music, whether the artist or the listener are aware of it or not. Jazz is not necessarily more "complex" or redpilled than commercial radio pop just because of its virtuosic and/or improvisational nature. Anyone can choose to enjoy or not enjoy jazz. Saying "you can't fully appreciate it because you don't understand it" is fucking elitist bullshit to make things seem deeper than they really are. Miles Davis himself understood the complexity in pop and rock music and transitioned further and further away from jazz as he matured

autismo the thread. Keep this alive, its a good containment thread.

keep telling yourself that plebbo

>you need to be a chef to eat food

You're this retarded, moron.

What are some great starter albums for jazz? I know music theory but haven't really listened to much. Probably on vinyl if that makes it easier

youtube.com/watch?v=5Bm9F3GFnik

kind of blue
accessible to everyone
has lots of cool modal stuff

no one is suggesting you can't listen to and enjoy jazz without understanding theory friend

>more people with this retarded food analogy

Thanks user. Figured this would be in the top 3

patrician's order of condiments goes as follows
hot sauce>ketchup>>>mustard>>>>>relish=shit>>>>mayonaise

it makes it more inspiring

this is what got me into jazz, dont hate
youtube.com/watch?v=37hlllxL6is

Jaco Pastorius didn't know theory

are you actually fucking retarded

I mean, all visual medium is just colors, user, but look how far it's brought us

not jazz

You realize how the musicians you thought were pretty good are actually geniuses

Miles Davis was, up until the early sixties, someone who played very popular songs: musical numbers and pop tunes, so I don't see your point about how he 'matured' into pop music.

>Jazz is not necessarily more "complex" or redpilled than commercial radio pop just because of its virtuosic and/or improvisational nature

You didn't give any evidence as to how this is the case. The argument as to why jazz and improvised music is more "redpilled" than other music is jazz's lack of repetitive melodies. Everything in the music is stated once, unlike pop songs in which the same 4 chord changes can be used throughout the entire song with repeating melodies. Pop music, then, is much more accessible and less taxing on a listener as it doesn't require constant attention and following of the musical lines in order to establish a connection with the music. And on the original subject, everyone has the ability to enjoy jazz the same amount, but having a greater knowledge for the music will always help one in 'getting' what the musician on the band stand is trying to accomplish through a performance.

>doom jazz
>not jazz
I guess red velvet cake isn't cake then

Dark Magus seems like the most mu-core miles davis album imo makes me wonder why you don't see it posted here

youtube.com/watch?v=fWdmMCnNw2I

I love it.

Lol
>implying tastes are relevant

EDM becomes pure shit after you spend an hour in FL or Ableton

>I watched La La Land and now I'm a jazz expert

I know this is probably ironicposting but OP reminds me of pic related